Olympics!!!

…and then there was this:

German Horse Fails Doping Test at Olympics: Media
2008-08-21 18:03:44 Xinhua

A German rider has been suspended after his horse failed a doping test in Hong Kong at the Beijing Olympics, the German equestrian association said Thursday.

The banned substance Capsaicin was found in Christian Ahlmann’s horse Coester on Sunday, a day before the team showjumping finals in which Germany finished fifth, German news agency DPA reported.

The International Equestrian Federation suspended the 33-year-old rider, meaning he will not be able to compete for Germany in the individual final in Hong Kong later Thursday.

Under new rules, riders and their horses can be suspended if their A samples are positive. The result of Coester’s B sample is due to be announced by the Hong Kong Analytical Laboratory on Friday.

All German horses were tested for drugs before they left for Hong Kong at the beginning of August and nothing untoward was found, DPA quoted the team’s veterinarian, Bjoern Nolting, as saying.

At the Athens Games four years ago, Germany was forced to hand back its team gold after failing to register medication given to one of the horses.

At Beijing Olympiad matches in Hong Kong, powerful Germans have so far won three gold medals.

May I make the point that Britain contributed only about 17 of the 63 Empire gold medals and only about 40 of the 187 total (not sure of exactly what point of the tally your nostalgic imperial table refers to)?

Thus:

British Empire 63 Gold 187 Total

Britain 17 Gold 40 Total

Empire minus Britain 46 Gold 147 Total

Definitely a rest of Empire win over the Mother Country. Again. :smiley:

Might I also congratulate Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland for their medals.

Oh, sorry, I forgot that they’re part of Great Britain. Which is why they’re celebrating Great Britain’s performance rather than their own. :wink: :smiley:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/cycling/7573834.stm

As shown by this unifying opinion from the underpants-shunning Picts. :wink:

On Your Bike, Hoy Is Scottish
Aug 23 2008 John Mckie

BMX racing, beach volleyball and synchronised swimming are now officially recognised sports at the Olympics.

England is world class at one sport: Claiming the national responsibility for Chris Hoy.

Fair’s fair. We should all celebrate Team GB’s gold medals.

In fact, after Paisley’s Paolo Nutini duetted with him in Beijing, let’s claim Usain Bolt as part-Scottish.

He’s probably more Scottish than Kris Commons.

One thing’s for sure - after England v Czech Republic, the English might not be so quick to demand all the places for any Great Britain 2012 team. If they do, they’d only play Stevie Gerrard on the left.

If we are being regionalistic about it, here’s a helpful guide to the nationalities of the Olympic leading lights: Bradley Wiggins: English.

Nicole Cooke: Welsh.

Rebecca Adlington: English.

Bernie Clifton and Oswald the Ostrich, who failed to gain access to the hockey stadium: English.

The bloke who messed up the 4X100m relay: English.

Cherie Blair, blagging into countless events: English.

Boris Johnson, ditto: English.

Chris Hoy, winner of a fantastic three gold medals: Definitely 100 per cent Scottish.
My bold. :smiley: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/comment/columnists/lifestyle-columnists/john-mckie/2008/08/23/on-your-bike-hoy-is-scottish-86908-20708003/

Provided you colonials know who’s in charge I don’t mind in the slightest!

:mrgreen:

If I was you, I’d be more worried about those unruly Picts and Joneses getting an Olympic-medalled flush of new separatist ambitions. Then where would GB be? :smiley:

Nah, even the Welsh Nationalists don’t want independence. As for the Scots, if they become independent they have to take Gordon Brown back as well :D.

<crosses fingers, touches wood and prays fervently!>

Every cloud has a silver lining. :smiley:

As a committed nose picker myself, I’m impressed by his sneaky snot deposit on his tie in full public view. A man who can do that has what it takes to conceal other nasties from the public, which is what makes an ordinary politician into a prime minister. :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VaP1HB7Vew

This is where stats prove anything, under the pressure of personal preference.

Regardless, :smiley: I thought Chris Hoy the lilt in the kilt got about as many gold medals as the Taffs, which makes one Scot equal to the whole of Wales (sorry, Taffs, but the Scots started it. :wink: :smiley: )

I have a feeling that pursuing such thoughts to their logical conclusion can but cause problems. :smiley:

As a Scot, I like the way RS talks…

Congrats to all who competed, and a pox on any drug cheats who happened to get away with it.

Of the Aussies, Steve Hooker from Melbourne winning the pole vault was a heart stopper, plus Stephanie Rice and her three gold in the pool was great.

It’s interesting to see the Gold medals per million population
at Athens were…
1 THE BAHAMAS
2 NORWAY
3 AUSTRALIA
4 CUBA
5 HUNGARY
6 JAMAICA
7 NEW ZEALAND
8 GREECE
9 SWEDEN
10 GEORGIA

Total medals per million population

1 THE BAHAMAS
2 AUSTRALIA
3 CUBA
4 ESTONIA
5 SLOVENIA
6 JAMAICA
7 LATVIA
8 HUNGARY
9 BULGARIA
10 BELARUS

This time, it looks as though it’s between JAMAICA and SLOVENIA who might move up to number one.
Thought Usain Bolt was amazing, Jamaica have a strong history of track stars with Don Quarrie, Merlene Ottey, etc and now the World champ, Bolt.

And I can’t forget all the Jamaican legends from ‘‘the game made in heaven’’ CRICKET, with champs like George Headley, Alf Valentine, Lawrence Rowe, '‘whispering death’'Michael Holding, and Courtney Walsh, playing for the West Indies.:slight_smile:

If you missed this, here is your chance to see the highlight of the 2008 Olympics…womens water polo yea… Serbia Vs. Albania

water polo.jpg

I think this is far from being something you call “PC”?:oops: