Rare WW2 Eastern Front Image

The German “War Machine” must rest too. :wink:

I/m not that much informed, my friend in this field. However you probably right about I-153 “Chaika”.Their wings might be not so easy detachable as wing of I-15 Bis.
I can’t found out the photo of transported I-153, but if to look at this one.

You may to see that one of lower wing is not conected .Probably this I-153 was in repair before the airfield was lost.I heard all of modification of I-15/16 had an detachable wing .

I15 Bis 2, series 2 or 3. I think this because the cooling inlets in the engine cowling were altered for the M82 and M83 (a later modification of the M82) engines.
I’d always assumed the pic you show was battle-damage inflicted as the field was attacked, but having now looked closer, I’d agree the lower wing was detached rather than removed in damage.
The late-series 153’s had straight upper wings, while the gull-wing shown here was common to the I15 and early series I153’s.
About the only visual distinctions are the cooling inlets I noted earlier, and the width of the undercarriage track (ie: the distance between the main wheels).

I have video of a rebuilt I153 in flight, and it is a joy to see. If you’re interested, look for the “Warbirds Over Wanaka” series of videos.
It is a tiny place near Queenstown in the South Island of NZ. There is an Airshow there every 2nd year, and the 1996 Airshow featured both the I153 Chaika and the I16 “Ishak”/“Rata”.
Tim Wallace, the man who had these rare aircraft rebuilt in Russia, has a small air museum there, known as “The Alpine Fighter Museum”. I met Tim briefly, a few years ago, and a couple of his pilots. I have sat in the Hurricane Tim had rebuilt.

Many Thanks for your kind reply Chevan my friend,
Kind and Respectful Regards, Uyraell.

I found it
Rebuilt I-16 on the air on it’s site
and video of I-153 Chaika
Restored plains actualy looks amazing. And that obsolet chagging to hear.

Tim Wallace, the man who had these rare aircraft rebuilt in Russia, has a small air museum there, known as “The Alpine Fighter Museum”. I met Tim briefly, a few years ago, and a couple of his pilots. I have sat in the Hurricane Tim had rebuilt.

I’m very curious who is an owner of that brilliant restored Jak-3?Do you accidentally know dear sir?

Glad you enjoyed seeing them, my friend :slight_smile:

Tim Wallace owns the Jak 3 (in NZ we write it Yak).

He paid for that to be rebuilt along with 5 I-16 Ishaks and the I-153.

As I understand it, 4 of the I-16’s were sold to collectors, and two of them went to the USA.

There is a television documentary about Tim travelling to Russia, to the original factory where the Polikarpovs were manufactured, and meeting the technicians who were rebuilding his aircraft. Some of these were the same men who had built the original airframes/aircraft just prior to the Great Patriotic War.
As is characteristic of Russian folk, Tim was invited to their homes for meals, and is said to have thoroughly enjoyed their hospitality and his time in Russia.

At the time I met Tim, he had only just acquired the Jak3 airframe, and arranged for it to be rebuilt.
That was also done in Russia, by original Jak technicians, and about the only change from a normal Jak3m is that the engine is an American Allison V1710 (F Series, I think). This is because the are no usable Klimov inline engines to be found in modern Russia, nor almost anywhere else in the world. I know for a fact Tim would have searched hard for a Klimov.

Tim has had offers for the Jak3m, but as far as I know, has no intention to sell it.
However, an identical aircraft was also rebuilt at the same Jak factory, and is in the hands of an American collector, so it is not beyond possibility that in the future another pair may be built in the same manner.

I regret I don’t have more to tell you Chevan my friend, but I have to confess I have not in recent years kept up at all with the events of Tim’s Fighter collection.

Warm, Kind, and Respectful Regards Chevan my friend, Uyraell.

P.S: I do have a magazine article about flying that Jak. If you’re keen, I’ll try to dig it out, and type it into here for you.

You know i found an article about Tim’s visit to Novosibirsk ( company “Aviarestavracij”) where he got a contract for few restored aurcraft in 1992.
http://tayga.info/press/2008/11/03/~93530
BTW except the Policarpovs and Yak-3 , Tim aslo has received the three IL-16 Shturmovics.
The company “Aviarestavracij” restores the ww2 aircraft for foreign collectors.Recently they sold the fully repaired Mig-3 for Arab Sheikh

:smiley: There had been tales about the Sturmoviks for a few years, but I had not until now heard anything concrete.
Many Many Thanks Chevan my friend, for that.
Spasiba, bratets :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

As time passed I lost contact with a lot of my aviation friends, life went in other directions, so to speak.
I drifted out of contact, and haven’t really done much since to regain the contact, because at this stage in life, I have a load of other priorities to tend to before aviation matters.
It is nice to find good news at times though, and I sincerely Thank you for that, because it has truly made me smile, sitting here.

Warm, Kind, and Respectful Regards Chevan my friend, Uyraell.

“Being a Hero is really hard to say but easy to do. But being a Soldier less than a Hero is easy to say but hard to do.” this is quite right, the relationshio between they too are so complicated, and the above images remind me a lot.