Religion - Attitudes towards, beliefs, etc

No offence Stalingrad mate but if you think the bible isnt right then you wouldn’t really be a christian mate.

Satan is a fallen angel which means he used to be in heaven… he never liked humans because he thought God gave them to much love instead, lucifer became jealous and started his owne evil kingdom.[/quote]

But this contradicts the theological givens that god is all-powerful and all good. If satan is to exist, then god has to be either not all-powerful, not all good, or neither.[/quote]

People that believe in God, but dont believe in the Devil are people that are living dangerously and dont know the truthe.

Believing that God exists and believing that the Anti-christ exists is good if you follow Jesus footsteps… if you believe in God but dont believe in the Anti-christ (devil) then this is worse.

From my Point of View, Man of Stoat i see you as a very anti-christian and dont want to have anything to do with them.
Have you ever read the Bible or have you just judged it for yourself before even opening the front cover?

I’m anti-Religion in general. I find it both a ludicrous and a dangerous idea - how many wars have religion caused or exacerbated? Granted, people would often have found other excuses, but it’s a ready-made excuse. Crusades? Northern Ireland? Various anti-Jewish pogroms? The religious mass democides of the Tudor period in Engand & Scotland? The Spanish Inquisition?

I have read significant portions of the bible - did you not spot that I was giving passages?

If you want to believe in your fairy in the sky, that’s your call. You can also believe that the moon is made of green cheese, or anything else that you want to. Just don’t expect me not to point out the many logical inconsitencies and tautologies in it if you bring the subject up. This “religious tolerance” thing has to go both ways - I have to tolerate you for believing no matter what I think of it, and you have to equally tolerate me for not believing - anything else is hypocracy.

And a nice little quote to finish off:

Dear Dr. Laura,
Thanks for educating people regarding God’s Law. I still need some advice, however :

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. Does this include the Carribean, or just Canada and Mexico?

I have a neighbor who works on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Should I kill him myself?

Eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), but is it worse than homosexuality?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I wear reading glasses. What should I do?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

My uncle violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field. So does my aunt, by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). Do we have to go to the trouble of stoning them? (Lev.24:10-16) Or can we just burn them to death, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

If there are 2 things that will drag a Forum down and turn the members from contribution to retribution it will be religion or politics. Both are based on beliefs and individual perceptions and are the hardest things for humans to be objective about.

I say, agree to differ and move on to something else. All you are doing here is arguing back and forth and no-one will change theier minds.

It would probably not be a bad idea to have a rule saying that religion is banned from being discussed and no politics outwith ww2. There are hundreds of forums out there for those subjects and this Forum is WW2IC!

If there are 2 things that will drag a Forum down and turn the members from contribution to retribution it will be religion or politics. Both are based on beliefs and individual perceptions and are the hardest things for humans to be objective about.

I say, agree to differ and move on to something else. All you are doing here is arguing back and forth and no-one will change theier minds.

It would probably not be a bad idea to have a rule saying that religion is banned from being discussed and no politics outwith ww2. There are hundreds of forums out there for those subjects and this Forum is WW2IC!

i guess these discussions are inevitable.History,religion and politics are hard to separate.also,sometimes people can’t even agree on something as trivial as definition of assault rifles :slight_smile:

Firefly, I disagree, if you notice this is the OFF TOPIC column. If people dont want to read they should not come in, but then again thats just my opinion. :wink:

I suppose both tex and Mike are right in their own ways. Still, makes for a boring debate when talking religion especially.

I suppose both tex and Mike are right in their own ways. Still, makes for a boring debate when talking religion especially.

Don’t get me wrong,i’m with you on this one;these discussions are boring and quite pointless.but,as i pointed out before,if history is the subject,sooner or later a religion or politics debate emerges.

No offence Stalingrad mate but if you think the bible isnt right then you wouldn’t really be a christian mate.[/quote]

How does that work out? I’m a Non-Denominational Christian thank you very much, are you a crazy religious fanatic or something?

I said the very same thin some time back. You attacked me for it. God, you are such a hypocritical twit.[/quote]

OK, so this was a while back, but I’ve only just spotted it…

TROLL POST

REASON: Misrepresentation of what a named member has said to deliberately provoke a response (if I’m wrong, provide a link), and an ad-hominem.[/quote]

No Mr. Patent Office Clerk wannabe a patent inspector. You are the troll. You have attempted to misrepresent my accurate representation of what someone else said.

I forgive you my son. Go in peace. May God have mercy on your patent office clerk reception desk.

I’m anti-Religion in general. I find it both a ludicrous and a dangerous idea - how many wars have religion caused or exacerbated? Granted, people would often have found other excuses, but it’s a ready-made excuse. Crusades? Northern Ireland? Various anti-Jewish pogroms? The religious mass democides of the Tudor period in Engand & Scotland? The Spanish Inquisition?

I have read significant portions of the bible - did you not spot that I was giving passages?

If you want to believe in your fairy in the sky, that’s your call. You can also believe that the moon is made of green cheese, or anything else that you want to. Just don’t expect me not to point out the many logical inconsitencies and tautologies in it if you bring the subject up. This “religious tolerance” thing has to go both ways - I have to tolerate you for believing no matter what I think of it, and you have to equally tolerate me for not believing - anything else is hypocracy.

And a nice little quote to finish off:

Dear Dr. Laura,
Thanks for educating people regarding God’s Law. I still need some advice, however :

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. Does this include the Carribean, or just Canada and Mexico?

I have a neighbor who works on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Should I kill him myself?

Eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), but is it worse than homosexuality?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I wear reading glasses. What should I do?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

My uncle violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field. So does my aunt, by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). Do we have to go to the trouble of stoning them? (Lev.24:10-16) Or can we just burn them to death, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)
[/quote]

You just dont stop do you Stoat, now your calling my God a fairy in the sky.
Thats the height of offence to a Christian.
If you dont believe in something thats fine, just keep your idiotic rubbish comments to yourself.

How do you reconcile your belief in God with your belief in Communism?

How do you reconcile your belief in God with your belief in Communism?[/quote]

With no offence intended to Commando, he doesn’t have ANY CLUE to what Communism meant. I lived in Communism for 20 years and a half and I know what it means.

How do you reconcile your belief in God with your belief in Communism?[/quote]

With no offence intended to Commando, he doesn’t have ANY CLUE to what Communism meant. I lived in Communism for 20 years and a half and I know what it means.[/quote]

No offence taken at all, i respect that and my only belief in communism was if the government was fair to the people… but i see and from your point of view that it has failed in many countries.

Many countries? Could you name any countries where Communism could be considered a success. To assist in the discussion that will follow, please also give your grounds for considering each country that you name as a success.

I said that it wasn’t a success not a success… :wink:

My point was that you said that Communism had failed in many countries.To the best of my knowledge, it has yet to produce a successful regime in any country, so I challenged you to name any country where communism could be described a successful.

My bold.

I think this highlights one of the major problems with religion. One is notionally free to openly criticise any human idea except religion.
The description “fairy in the sky” is just another way of saying “intangible supernatural being that capriciously grants wishes (or not) in return for belief”, God just sounds better.

If Stoat or anyone else wishes to point out the great inconsistencies (Pi=3 :roll:) in religion - particularly when invited by your “take it or leave it” Biblical attitude - then they are free to do so, whether you want to hear it or not.

This is true:

This is not true, and is an example of failed philosophy: