Sas

I have just remembered why I’m not a soccer fan - on too many occassions the better team, playing the better game, can be beaten by a fluke goal of the other team. :frowning:

You forgot to mention that THEY were sent to the Philippines with the Jeepneys to help out Uncle Sam. Later they left the Jeepneys there… :smiley:

Jan

Sorry off-topic

WTF I thought you were MIA. Where have you been?

I’m somewhat Brahms and thingie, at the moment, however, I was speaking with Romeo Sierra Mike and a couple of others, today. Put the silver/green question to them - can you guess the response? :smiley:

Ummm… short, to the point and obscene?

Not at all, all three were gentlemen - with a sense of humour, of course. :slight_smile:

Would love to see the haka (and others) responded to by the traditional British pre-battle dance.

It would involve the team forming up in two ranks, the front rank kneeling, whilst the captain shouted “fire by volleys” :smiley:

Interesting sidenote. The Chinese, during their war with the British, accused us of not playing fair.

Basically in one of the first battles, the British formed up, and prepared for volley fire (front rank kneeling). When the Chinese saw the troops kneeling, naturally by their rules and opinions of themselves, they beleived the troops were kneeling before them, and thus didn’t wish to enter combat.

The Chinese formed up to gladly, and honourably take the surrender (which would include things like killing people they didn’t think worthy) and rode out in full ceremonial array.

Apparently the first few volleys were a bit of a shock to the Chinese, and devestatingly effective against the lines of troops.

After that the Chinese beleived the British were unscruplous and treacherous - hence some of the more dispicable Chinese acts of brutality in response.

The perils of the meetings of two different civilisations… :s

PS. The professionlism of Rugby has eroded some of the skill and finer points in place of brawn and bruises.

Bring back the amateurs.

Anyone actually been drilled in a modern army in forming a British square, front rank kneeling? I have.

I think I posted something about this in another thread, or maybe I only PM’ed someone about it.

Around 1970 my CMF (=Territorial in UK) unit was to be given the freedom of a city, with the usual parade, speeches and march through. The anti-Vietnam protests were at their height, with the by then rare uniformed military parades often attracting unwanted attention with sheilas covered in wet red paint to symbolise blood rushing into parades and tackling officers etc.

Our RSM, a legend in the Armoured Corps and a real soldier with the campaign and bravery medals to prove it, made suitable preparations for such an eventuality. His primary aim was to ensure that the colours were protected. So he drilled some of us near the colour party in forming a British square around the colours with bayonets fixed, from the review or the march. It would have been the first and only time in that era that protesters encountered any resistance, and very determined resistance at that. Fortunately for all concerned nothing happened.

So what was the answer then? :twisted:

Not drilled, but the order has become something of a tradition at one of the places I train. If the guy in the Platoon Commander’s role has cocked things up royally and you’re out in the open getting slaughtered, the cry goes up “form square, form square”. If you’re going to die, do it in style!

They swore me to secrecy! :wink:

Used to from square as a part of anti-riot drills way back when. :smiley:

As I underrstand it, changing formation right/left at the halt/on the march were drills which evolved from forming square and other tactical deployments dating back to Prussian style drill which was introduced to the Army sometime about the 18th Century?

For civilian riots in Britain, or somewhere else? I suspect somewhere else.

More importantly, was it front rank kneeling?

Were the preliminaries in 1950’s - 1960’s for dealing with civilian riots in Britain much the same as in Australia? Under the heading of regs dealing with ‘aid to the civil power’. Which involved a magistrate under protection of the army reading the riot warning to disperse or ?be fired upon?.

After which orders might be “Sergeant. Man in red jumper in front row …”

That was him…the bastard was everywhere! :slight_smile:

Nice pictures of long range patrol vehicles
and other assorted desert waefare for your enjoyment

LRDGJeepE.jpg

5cm232.jpg

LannoyWPaK35-36.jpg

Just finished reading Eastern Approaches by Fitzroy McLean, one of the original SAS officers in the Western Desert. If you can get your paws on a copy, do so. It’s one of the best books I’ve read in years.

Hello,

I am French and I first ask you to excuse my bad English.
I’m very interesting in WW2 S.A.S troups (not only Free French 4th .SA.S !)
I am looking for a picture I yet found on the Web showing a S.A.S soldier equiped with a GB tanker holster (for a Webley probably)
One again, sorry for my English hoping it is more or less understandable.
Thanks to use a simple English as possible to reply.
Best regards from France

There is already a topic a bout The SAS, you better give a look before open new topic in the future.

Anyone have any information on SAS operations against the Imperial Japanese? Where they in that theater?

Not certain about the SAS, but think not. There was Z Force, which if I remember was Australian and other elements of the Marines and Paras operatng along the rivers of Burma. Some divers/swimmers (SBS types) were used to swim the Iriwady and Chindwin rivers to recce and mark the landing points of the beachheads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_Special_Unit

Of course, the other special units were the Chindits and Merryl’s Marauders.

I have actually spent a lot of time in Hereford. A big bloody river flows through it and Ive seen a few boats there. Never seen a boathouse, but then, never looked so I assume there may be several of them. The place used to be a dive and there local night club was called the Crystal Rooms, never seen any Crystal but there used to be plenty of glass on the floor at the nights end. As I remember there was a Nursing College there too and we always used to rush not to get stuck with an ugly one, often I failed.

Went on a visit with Mrs FF last year and when she asked where I used to go and what I used to get up to I showed her the Cathederal and said, cultural stuff… I’m not sure she believed me though.

I know, off topic…