Sas

Chill my little Modlett!

STOEB, welcome to the site. It is a good idea to read before jumping in, but we understand that enthusiasm for answer sometimes overtakes patience to read everything.

Cheers…

Not one of THEM are you? :shock:

Yeah right. There used to be an RAF Base called RAF Credenhill and it was a training unit. It was handed over to them a few years back. Strange thing is, even they must be skint and deprived of money as when I visited it last year not much had changed, same old buildings etc.

Official motto; “Who Dares Wins”

Unofficial motto: “Who Cares Who Wins”

What we used to say: “Who Cares Who Dares - We Always Win!”

the british sas are the best in the world a lot of the yanks base there counter stuff on what the poms do, the australian sas is based on the poms a good book on the australian sas is phontoms of the jungle this tells about the australian sas in nam when i can find the good one i read about hte poms i will post its name.

Jarradnat:

1. Welcome to the forum!
  2. Spelling and punctuation are your friend. One long sentence with no capital letters or punctuation is very painful to read. Furthermore, a number of people on this site do not have English as a first language. As a courtesy to them, please try to use proper English spelling when you write as random words may confuse them. If you have trouble, there are a number of embedded spellcheckers available for download.

Try the Firefox Browser with the “Google Toolbar!” :wink:

And Jarr, the Aussie SAS is quite good, but the US Navy SEALS, Army Special Forces, and LRRPs were no slouches in the 'Nam either…I doubt they bothered to compare themselves with the SAS…

This is a good book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stealth-Patrol-Making-Vietnam-1968-70/dp/0306812738

The problem, as the author sees it, was that the success of the LRRP’s led to mere units being created to the extent that they lost their abiity to operate clandestinely.

I read Charlie Beckwith’s book about twenty years ago. He spent a year seconded to the SAS in the early sixties, serving in Malaya. Even though he was American Speical Forces, in the beginning he had a problem wiht the SAS’s lack of militatry formality. However, he became so impressed by the SAS that he was determined to raise a similar force in the U.S. and finally got the go ahead during the Carter Administration.

http://www.answers.com/topic/delta-force-game?cat=entertainment

Facilities and equipment. Little is known about the inside of the Delta Force compound, though it reportedly has extensive training facilities that include numerous shooting areas (both for battle at close proximity, and for sniping at longer range), an Olympic-sized swimming pool, a dive tank, and a three-story wall for climbing.

I wonder if they have a boathouse - perhaps we could discover its colour? :wink:

Formations of the British 22nd Special Air Service Regiment did not serve in Vietnam, but did any of its memebers?

Not unless they were seconded to the Aussie SAS. Even then Im not sire they would be allowed.

See British entry here.
http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Vietnam/SP.htm

580 Oz SAS served in Vietnam, but that doesn’t mean some Brits weren’t included there, either on exchange or as direct enlistments in Oz after British SAS service.

SAS in Vietnam ops here http://www.hotkey.net.au/~marshalle/sas/sasops.html

You might find more detail here. For some reason I’m able to get the whole book in the preview where normally you get only a few pages. http://books.google.com/books?id=0Qs4sTnGeewC&pg=PA309&lpg=PA309&dq=british+sas+who+served+in+vietnam&source=web&ots=U7MxqAEilq&sig=v9kgPimu_PJOyQxXZv_BhnysB50#PPA593,M1

Actually, the Brits infiltratred the Oz SAS with great success, but backwards.

Our current Governor-General (i.e. Queen’s representative and Oz head of state) is a former commander of the Oz SAS.

His Excellency Major General Michael Jeffery, AC, CVO, MC
Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia

Major General Michael Jeffery, AC, CVO, MC was born in Wiluna, Western Australia in 1937, and educated at Kent Street High School and the Royal Military College, Duntroon.

He graduated into Infantry and served operationally in Malaya, Borneo, Papua New Guinea and Vietnam, where he was awarded the Military Cross and the South Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. After command of all combat elements of the Army from platoon to division—including the Special Air Service Regiment—he retired in 1993 to assume the appointment of Governor of Western Australia, which he held for almost seven years.
http://www.aph.gov.au/Library/handbook/41stparl/governor-general.htm

I’m no war hero, says Jeffery
June 23 2003

Military Cross holder Major-General Michael Jeffery today played down claims he was a war hero and said he would target youth issues during his time as Australia’s new Governor-General.

Major-General Jeffery said he wanted to champion literacy and numeracy issues, especially for young people.

He said he hoped to reflect the role outlined by former Governor-General Sir Zelman Cowan, who said the job entailed reflecting the nation unto itself.

He has also followed the precedent set by Sir William Deane, who gave up some of his salary because he already received a pension as a former High Court Judge.

Maj-Gen Jeffery today said he would donate his military pension to charity while serving as Governor-General over the next three or four years.

But he strongly rejected suggestions his medals from the Vietnam war made him a military hero, and said the word hero was overused by Australia’s media.

“I’m not a hero,” Maj-Gen Jeffery said in an interview for Australia’s television networks.

“I just hope to be me doing the best I can in this tremendous job to which I’ve been appointed.”

Maj-Gen Jeffery was awarded the Military Cross for his actions in operations in Phuoc Tuy province in 1970.

But he said his medal was more recognition of the 120 soldiers in his rifle company in Vietnam.

“If I could have cut my MC into 120 pieces and given a little bit to each of the fellows I’d much prefer to do that,” he said.

“But I guess it came to me as recognition of having a fine company of great young men who performed sterling service for 13 months.”

Jeffrey’s citation, with a bit of other stuff from a speech.

How well known though, are John Sanderson’s achievements in Cambodia or the story of your most recent governor, Major General Michael Jeffrey, who was awarded the Military Cross for his service in Vietnam in 1970.

Before relating that, let me say again that very few soldiers are delighted to be singled out for a high award. A soldier in the Vietnam conflict, a national serviceman no less, married shortly before he left to serve there. He regularly wrote gentle letters to his wife. ‘There is nothing doing here’ he said, ‘we spend most of our time in the base and I am rarely on patrol’. Then the Sydney Morning Herald announced that he had been awarded the Military Cross, prompting an angry letter from home. ‘If you have been idling your time away in the base’, his anxious wife wrote, ‘are you telling me that they are handing out decorations to all and sundry’. It was only then that he had to own up to at least a bit of the truth.

Another young officer wrote to me recently about receiving a bravery award for service in East Timor. Let me quote: “I was astonished to have been selected for such an award. It was an extraordinary privilege for an ordinary bloke, I am not so sure that such awards are meant for people like me. In any event it is, of course, not a reflection of my achievements but a testament to the efforts of all soldiers of the Regiment. Recognition of the sheer hard work, commitment and, at times, courage of those tremendous Australians.”

This admirable combination of modesty, self-deprecation and appreciation of others’ efforts seems to me to capture an essential part of our ethos.

Let me turn now to Mike Jeffrey’s citation: During Operation Hamersley in Phuoc Tuy Province, his Company was engaged in reconnaissance and ambush operations against a tenacious enemy in heavily mined terrain. “On 18 February 1970, the company came into heavy contact with enemy firing from well entrenched positions. After a fierce fire fight the company rolled the enemy killing six of them. On 16, 22, 25 and 28 February, ambushes by the company accounted for 13 enemy dead. The light casualties suffered by the company and the heavy losses inflicted on the enemy during this period were attributable to Major Jeffrey’s courage and professional competence”.

“Throughout a year of active service, Major Jeffrey’s Company has displayed outstanding morale and efficiency…(his) leadership, drive and professionalism have ensured that this high standard has been achieved and maintained. His actions reflect great credit on himself and are in the highest traditions of the Australian Army”.
http://www.defence.gov.au/media/2000/250500.doc

It occurs to me, rather late in the day, that I ought to have posted this on the Vietnam forum - still, I never was the brightest light on the street! :slight_smile:

I know of at least one 22 officer that transferred to the Oz SAS in order to serve in Vietnam. This was a transfer, as opposed to secondment.

It worked the other way around in Borneo, where Oz men on secondment to 22, operated alongside them against the Indos. This was prior to Oz SAS commitment to Borneo.

Any idea what year(s)?

I’d guess that this represented a realistic assessment by the Aussies that they had a good chance of conflict with the Indos and were glad to get the experience with the Brits?

Without rummaging through the book, I believe it was 1964, but could be wrong. When I have the time, I’ll flip through it and get back to you.

‘A’ Squadron June to October 1964.

"…The patrol still comprised four men without Tudor because they had a visitor from Ausralia. That country naturally kept a close eye on Confrontation and Woodhouse strove to enlist the help of her SAS company, so far, unsuccessfully. But it happened that one of their number on attachment to the British Army in Malaya met Woodhouse at a party and, like calling to calling, jumped at the chance of trying his hand in Borneo. So here was Lieutenant Geoff Skardon…

…Oblivious of the Shoot-and-scoot drill and of his own safety, Skardon ran to White, diving beside him and pulling him behind a big tree, which at least afforded some protection from th closest enemy to the old front. Those to the flanks, however, had the pair still in view and poured in fire. They missed only through incompetence and because of the undergrowth, thin though it was. Skardon saw blood in huge quantities spurting under pressure from White’s upper thigh and knew that a tourniquet must be applied within seconds. Expecting a handgrenade at any moment, he grabbed White’s collar and with all his strength dragged him a full ten yards to a shallow depression that looked as though it might offfer some protection, but it did not. Their movement was seen. The firing continued to break down branches and thud into the earth around them, and with his hand still on his friend’s shoulder, Skardon said:

‘I think we’ve had it, Chalky!’
‘I know Skipper, thanks for trying!’…"

Soure: Secret War in South-East Asia - Peter Dickens ( Grandson of Charles Dickens).