Semiautomatic & Assault rifles.

I thought that odd too, maybe they were envisioning something like the MP.40’s magazine well / forward grip? Or the ERMA EMP? But that is odd given the size of the 7.92x57 service round. Other than that I can’t think of any standard German small arm with a protruding left hand grip.

Either way I doubt that they were refering to the bi-pod as that is covered in the next requirement.

I dug out an older gun book. It seems that only about 7,000 of these rifles were ever produced (Hogg and Reed), although the Allies may have overestimated the number issued since a good number were captured in Italy and Normandy…

MKb 42(H)

The original Haenel produced prototype weapons incorporated many of the features of earlier Schmeisser designs, such as the MP38 and MP40 submachineguns. The prototypes featured a simple gas operation system with the gas tube and pistol positioned above the barrel.

[CENTER][/CENTER]

The rifle used a striker firing mechanism and was fired from an open bolt and used a tilting block locking mechanism.

The gas piston extension, when forced rearward by the expanding propellant gases, would lift the bolt out of its locked position, and carry it to the rear for the extraction and ejection cycles, and then, under pressure from the operating spring, pull the bolt forward, strip a fresh round into the chamber, and force the bolt downward into its locking recess in the receiver. The cocking handle was placed on the left side of the receiver so as to enable the operator to recharge the rifle with the left hand while not disturbing aiming. The 30 round detachable box magazine was intended to serve as a firing support in the prone position.

[CENTER][/CENTER]
The receiver was entirely enclosed in the rifle’s sheet metal main group housing, and was secured by means of locating pins and indentation into which the sheet metal was pressed. Disassembly of the receiver from the housing was not contemplated, and required the destruction of the weapon to achieve.

The fire control group was contained in a stamped sheet metal housing hinged to the bottom of the receiver, which also served as the trigger guard and pistol grip. A cross-bolt type of selector was used for semiautomatic and automatic firing modes. When the bolt was pushed to the left, the letter D (for Dauerfeuer or full auto firing) was exposed. When pushed to the right, the letter E (for Einzelfeuer, or single shot firing) was exposed. The safety system on the prototypes was an L-shaped notch in the rear of the cocking handle slot and a forward cut out, thus permitting the bolt to be held in the rear safe or forward locked positions.
Barrel length was about fifteen inches ending in a threaded muzzle with a protective muzzle nut. Handguards were of formed sheet metal held in place by a friction fit.
Based on experiences with the Mkb 42 (H) prototypes, the Heereswaffenamt mandated various changes to the design. These included provisions for mounting the standard service bayonet, as well as increasing the diameter and pitch of the muzzle threads. By November 1942, deliveries of the new MKb were reaching troops in significant numbers. Initial reports from the field were very favorable, with the only negative comments being the high prone firing position necessitated by the long magazine and the brilliant muzzle flash during night firing. Modifications to the MKb 42(H) also included a spring loaded ejection port cover (much like that found on M16 rifles) to keep debris out of the mechanism, and telescope mounting rails on the rear sight block. A total of 11,853 Mkb 42(H)'s were produced between November 1942 and September 1943 when MKb production gave way to the improved MP43 series.

http://www.cruffler.com/historic-february00.html

Panzerknacker that article contains some noteable errors:

features of earlier Schmeisser designs, such as the MP38 and MP40 submachineguns

Hugo Schmeisser had next to nothing to do with the design of the MP.38 and MP.40

Based on experiences with the Mkb 42 (H) prototypes, the Heereswaffenamt mandated various changes to the design. These included provisions for mounting the standard service bayonet

The MKb.42(H) was the last of the series to feature a bayonet lug.

By November 1942, deliveries of the new MKb were reaching troops in significant numbers

Is incorrect, frontline trials of the MKb.42 started in April 1943 at which point it was already obsolete because of the MP.41/1. Only 2,000 rifles were delivered in April.

reports from the field were very favorable

Actual reports were extremely unfavourable with comments of soldiers dropping them in favour of captured Russian guns. It seems that the open bolt design was especially prone to jamming in battlefield conditions.

Production schedule of the MKb.42(H):
Nov '42 …25
Dec '42 …91
Jan '43 …500
Feb '43 …1,217
Mar '43 …900
Apr '43 …2,179
May '43 …3,044
Jun '43 …1,898
Jul '43 …1,423
Aug '43 …366
Sept '43 …190

Panzerknacker that article contains some noteable errors:

Sorry about that.

Actual reports were extremely unfavourable with comments of soldiers dropping them in favour of captured Russian guns. It seems that the open bolt design was especially prone to jamming in battlefield conditions.

Interesting, is the first time I read that the MKb 42 wasnt good at all.
In this video the MKb 42 is briefly seen in hans of SS paratroopers. Minute 1:11 to 1:14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDDHvwpoQXo

Panzer, pages 161 - 163 of Sturmgewehr by Hans-Dieter Handrich has translated exerpts of the reports sent back in August 1943 on the front line trials of the MKb.42(H).

If you’ve got an interest in the history of the StG.44 I would strongly recommend this book, it blows several previous myths/theories on these guns out of the water.

So…the well known history of Army offices demanding more “new rifles” for the Eastern front were not based in the Mkb 42.

Correct.

On the other hand the MP.43 was very well received by troops.

There is a myth that Hitler approved the MKb.42 for production following a demonstration of SS soldiers on exercise armed with the new carbine. The truth is that while the demonstration did occur, Hitler was not present.

The real reasons for Hitler finally giving his consent to full scale production of the MP.44 aren’t known yet, but it is suspected that Himmler had a big influence on his decision.

Also actual delivery of MP.44’s to the front was not hampered by gun production… It was the production of ammunition and magazines that restricted the number of guns that could be issued. So while a soldier was supposed to be issued with 6 magazines, it is not uncommon for them to only get three.

Volksgewehr, peoples assault rifle.

Description: One of the last Nazi weapons. Fast and rude rifle. Called “Gustloff” too.
Other Names: Volkssturm-Gewehr 1-5 or Versuchs-Gerat 1-5
“The VGI-5 is an unusual and rare firearm that only saw use in the late stages of WWII as part of the Volksturm series of weapons, and was used on the Eastern front as German Armies and Home Guard fought to defend their homeland from the onslaught of the Red Army.
Externally, the weapon appears nearly identical to the MP 35, but is much cruder in construction. The VGI-5 was made as a delayed blowback-operated semi-automatic carbine firing the 7.92mm Kurz (short) round. Cheap, easy to operate, and easy to manufacture, the VGI-5 played a near-forgotten part in WWII.
The rifle was quickly developed by Chief Designer Herr Barnitzke of Gusloft-Werke as part of the Primitiv-Waffen-Programm of 1944 and was used by the Home Guard (Volkssturn) and possibly by the postwar Werewolf Nazi guerrilla movement. Only small production occurred from January 1945.”

Cal: 7.92x33mm
Operating System: Gas delayed blow back Selective Fire
Weigth (Empty): 4.27Kg
Lenght: 960mm
Barrel: 380mm
Capacity: 32 Rounds (StG44 Magazines)

I’d be interesting to see more information on this, as it is only the second time I have heard about it.

Same here. I’ve read on it here before, and in one of Ian Hogg’s classic book on firearms…

But I’d like to know the average German militiaman’s thoughts on how accurate and sturdy the weapon was…

Panzerknacker:interesting,that gun I never heard of it!

You mean the Volksgewehr?

In this video there is also a brief sight, the VG in hands of Volkssturman.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=E9l-3sYLjAI

With the size of that muzzle, MG-34, but it doesnt look like he has 24 pnds of MG on his shoulder, spare barrel maybe?

Yes the Volksgewehr,that’s totally new for me,I read many books of the WW2,and guns but I never heard of this gun!Thanx the video!

It is a very interesting gun, made for mass production. The gun was made like an automatic pistol with a slide ( receiver ) that covers the barrel and move back and forth until firing. The spring was placed arround the barrel.
Single shot and full auto was possible. The accuracy was good because of the hammer and firing pin construction.
The locking mechanism was curious. The barrel has 4 holes and when fired the gas filled the room between barrel and slide with high pressure- so the breech couldnt move back. An well calculated gas escape hole let the gas out until the bullet leave the barrel.
Find enclosed an explosive drawing for a better understanding of the function.

Panzerknacker - the film showing VGs is a very nice find. The link leads me to the startpage. Couldt you please check the link and send a new link or the title of the film ???

Thanks

The youtube vid is Ok, but no worry here you got another link for the same Wochenschau.http://www.wochenschau-archiv.de/kontrollklfenster.php?&PHPSESSID=&dmguid=08E92C0062198378030103009D21A8C09300000000&inf=355920&outf=425440&funktion=play250k

Thank you very much Panzerknacker

Here you will find some more informations about the VG 1-5

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=71&p=1224633

http://talks.guns.ru/forummessage/36/335715-m7757783.html

genkideskan:interesting image thanx.This weapon look like to me is too weak,isnt it?
I think the mp40&Stg 44 are stronger systems.