Should the atomic bombs have been dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Ha-ha. You can try. I suppose it will be as much hillarious for you to see what will happen to modern Germany in this case.

The Iraqi population is against the presence of the US troops in the country and what out of it?

Oh, and of course modern Iraq and the US are allies as well.

The system of power in western Germany was constructed by the USA and has been controlled by the US just like the the system of power in Eastern Germany constructed and controlled by the Soviets. After the collapse of the USSR the system of Western Germany was spread in Eastern German lands. The possibility that such a system say leave to the Americans is equal to the possibility that the government of Eastern Germany could say leave to the Soviet Army that is zero. It was collapse of the USSR that caused the peaceful withdrawing of the Soviet troops.

How do you even remotely compare germany to iraq?
What are the US suppossed to do, should an elected german government demand them to leave? Declare a war?

Is war the only tool in politicians’ hands?

In that case? Pretty much. How else would you enforce a troop presence in a souvereign country?

Do you know the altitude twards Military nukes in JPN? They are OK with Nuke power plants but theyy are pretty different technologies. It is also illegal for a nuke to even exist in US bases in japan.

Folks…the Objective the the Suzuki Cabinet was to take Japan OUT of the war…

They were negotiating through the Russians, and the Russians, time after time, managed to find some objection or another that stalled them…

The bombs were dropped as a demonstration to the Soviets, and to KEEP RUSSIA OUT OF THE PACIFIC…a good policy it was, for it avoided the division of Japan and allowed American reconstruction to reach full bloom, rather than petty and Empire driven interfearence from the contemptable Soviets…

Japan was simply caught in the middle of an already widening conflict. She had wanted to withdraw “with honour” as Shigamitsu puts it, but UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER was by far the largest obstacle. A White House aide to Roosevelt (I can’t remember which one), made the comment that

“we ought to have our heads examined if we don’t look at the possibilities. For a start, lets make it clear they can keep the Mikado…”

Had this advice been followed, maybe Japan could have exited in the manner they wished to. But, when your negotiations are interpreted by RUSSIANS, who were obviously bent on grabbing whatever spoils they could while they still could, it all gets lost in the miasma.

Russia quickly stole SAKHALIN for it’s oil…we can thank providence that is ALL they got from their venture into Pacific politics…

Churchill did not trust the Soviets as far as he could kick them…I’m inclined to agree with Winston. Anyone singing the praises of Stalin in this modern period is an ignorant fool.

So, I say YES…they should have been dropped, to end the war for the express purpose of drawing the rug out from contemptable Russian intent…

Damn Russia!

The poll is misleading…why not simply ask whether they should have been dropped, not whether it was a war crime or not. The two are seperate issues…and if it WAS a war crime, who would be responsible? Truman? Le May? Tibbits? All had some input.

Politics, my friend. It is capable of miracles… :slight_smile:

Ho-ho-ho!
you see guys, I am not alone. :wink:

Russia quickly stole SAKHALIN for it’s oil…we can thank providence that is ALL they got from their venture into Pacific politics…

Did France also steal Alsace-Lorraine from Germany after WW2?
AFAIR Sahalin was Russian before the Russo-Japanese war of 1905? Anyway it was a disputavle territory to say the least.

Churchill did not trust the Soviets as far as he could kick them…I’m inclined to agree with Winston. Anyone singing the praises of Stalin in this modern period is an ignorant fool.

Whould your policy towards Stalin be same as Chirchill’s?

Damn Russia!

Thanks man. Fuck you, too! :mrgreen:

Nice post Egorka!..You guys are a laugh a minute!

I should have said DAMN THE SOVIET UNION…

RUSSIANS are some of the most educated and cultured people in Europe!

The Soviet Regime gets nothing but contempt from me…

Good on you tovarisch…I quote Oscar Wilde…

“I may not agree with you sir, but BY GUM, I’ll defend your right to say it!”

SPASIBA, GOSPODIN!

Why are you being so nice to B5N2KATE? :smiley:

You were never that nice to me when we were debating Soviet conduct in the war. :wink:

Could this be why?

:wink:

I expect that you and Chevan are going to make B5N2KATE an honorary comrade soon. :smiley:

I like Russian people!

They put up with so much from their leaders, defeated Nazism by sheer guts…marvellous people…educated…cultured…with a sence of their place in history.

My admiration for what the common Russian soldier achieved with his blood and guts knows no bounds. We should here more about ordinary Russian heroes, rather than the Politfatcats and generals…

They killed the Nazi beast, chopped off it’s head and left it twitching in the sand…

POBYEDA RUSSKI!

Yes, you have a partner in being wrong. :wink:

There wasn’t much chance of the Soviets getting much more than they already had since the amphibious capability simply wasn’t there…

To completely take out “Operation Downfall” from the equation is silly. The casualty projections? The fact that the Soviets had a very limited amphibious capability? That they were running into the same problems on Sakhalin as the Americans had of tenacious Japanese defense on terrain that favors a non-mechanized combatant over a mechanized one, and their shipping would have suffered a battering under Japanese Kamikaze attacks…

I would like to see some documentation of Russo-Japanese contacts in negotiations. There were effectively NO channels of communication that existed between the Allies and Imperial Japan making a conclusion of the war that was anything short of a complete Japanese collapse highly unlikely, though I suspect there would have been a surrender around the time of the final hypothetical American push on the Tokyo plane. There is also the possibility that the US was to use extensive chemical and nuclear weapons even during Corenet. The Biggest American nightmare here was not the Soviet expansion into Asia, but the 600,000 or so casualties to be sustained in Operation Olympia alone…

I can’t point to a source right now, but my recollection is that part of Japan’s intention in approaching the USSR was to try to open a channel to negotiate with the other Allies, which the USSR frustrated and, perhaps, manipulated to deceive and delay Japan.

I recall something of this. Yet, the Japanese ignored American overtures to set up contacts I believe by not responding. Granted, “unconditional surrender” was being demanded, but I think some of the revisionist stuff about the Emperor only wanting assurance that his throne would survive seem overly optimistic. If Japan was willing to negotiate all but an unconditional surrender (in name only), then they told everyone but the belligerent that wanted to affect it…

The Germans fought almost to the bitter end. So, why would the notoriously fanatic Japanese not follow suit?

Because Hitler would destroy Germany to preserve himself and fascism because he had no real allegiance to Germany but only to Nazism with him at its head, while Hirohito would preserve Japan to save himself and the imperial line because his allegiance was always to Japan rather than the militarists’ form of fascism?

Unfortunately, he didn’t have a totally free hand though. The fascist pricks in the IJA (mainly) were capable of filtering and altering his message --as the August coup showed…

But against that the Emperor ultimately reigned supreme when it came to preserving the nation by surrender, ironically having had his position of power and national reverence reinforced by the militarists for their purposes in pursuit of their bastardised samurai code, where the original samurai controlled and at times even killed an emperor.

Pity the little prick didn’t assert himself a few years earlier and avoid the problems his acquiescence caused, but then he thought he was on a roll.

A good man’s gotta know when he’s beaten.

What about the Army Officers that tried to suppress and destroy recordings of the Emperor’s surrender message?

Does that not show that elements in the ARMY wished to fight to the bittewr end for their own “honour”, and ignore the civilian government’s wishes? Shigamitsu is quite clear in his recollections of the Suzuki Cabinet’s objectives, so is it possible that the Army clique was frustrating communications attempts by the civilian government?

Japan was clearly a spent force, and McArthur’s projection’s of casualties were just that…projections. Operation “Olympic” was to be nothing less than an atomic battlefield, so the likely casualties to the Japanese themselves were far more likely to be of an horrendous nature. Remember, the Army clique had staged the China incident in the first place, and were perfectly capable of stalling the negotiations as well.

But, it still does not alter the essential premise that Soviet participation in the Pacific War was an unwanted factor. One has to look at the possibility that the Japanese themselves wanted no Soviet interfearence either. Post-war relations between Japan and Soviet Union/Russia have been less than cordial.