Should the atomic bombs have been dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

…It’s as simple as that in my opinion.

Much is simple in your opinion!

If the Soviets only had the Atomic bomb, they would of shot a few over to Japan a lot sooner than Truman did. Truman took so long allowing the scientists to double check everything a million times over. When the Russians build something they build it good and thats that.Shoot it over to Japan one after another and the war is over ,simple as that, and lots of lives could of been saved; more so than under Truman’s watch.

Why? What is better to way to establish mutual understanding between pods and antipods then an intimate relationsgip?
That is why I said “F**k you!”.

You were never that nice to me when we were debating Soviet conduct in the war. :wink:

Uooo… I am sorry… so f**k you too, my friend! :slight_smile:

I expect that you and Chevan are going to make B5N2KATE an honorary comrade soon. :smiley:
Lets see first… Such matter is not be rushed…

No doubdt they would.

Truman took so long allowing the scientists to double check everything a million times over.
Double check exactly what? AFAIK they dropped the first bomb ASAP after the initial test.
Besifes before the first test some of the scientist had thought that there was a chance that once started the nuclear chain reaction would just keep going and going spreading to all the matter in the universe. But they rolled the dices anyway… luckelly for us the dices rolled right.

The principal decision about the capitulation was adopted by Japan in the first half of July (I think…). The only problem was the “unconditional” part. And since the already were looking for exit I doubt their other alternative would be defence to the last man standing.

That’s better.

Now I feel like you really care about me. :smiley:

Against my better judgement, which says ignore you and your broken ‘nuke everything’ record, how’d you like to justify that comment, with particular reference to:

1. Why the USSR would do so when it wasn’t at war with Japan.

2. Why the USSR would provoke a land war with Japan in Manchuria when it didn’t need to?

3. If it had them earlier, why it wouldn’t use them against Germany?

You haven’t had much to do with Lada Nivas, have you?

So Japan would have surrendered just because the Soviets nuked it. Do you think the American advance towards Japan and its naval strangling of Japan might have had something to do with Japan being inclined to surrender after it got nuked?

So flinging an endless stream of nukes from the USSR at Japan would have saved a lot of Japanese lives?

Or the lives of the Americans who fought their way up the islands and on the seas?

Or the lives of Russians who weren’t fighting the Japanese anyway?

Please elucidate, O Learned One.

Herman goes to war. :roll:

First of all, it is no secret that the Russians were the first into space and they developed a better rocket at the time compared to the Americans. The Americans were outright scared of the emerging Russian advancement in space technology and rockertry. The fact that the auto industry in Russia never hit it off, is another story.Even the Russian rockets that pounced on Germany by the millions were very advanced.When the Russians build something, they build it good because there is discipline in what they make at the time. The Russians would of bombed Japan to impress America and prove it is capable of world dominance and thats why they would of become involved. The Japanese did not care that they were going to be invaded by the Americans as their code of conduct and brainwashing from their leaders taught them to fight to the end. The Atomic bomb was unfortunately a Must to end the War and if it were possible at the time, I think the Hydrogen bomb should of been an option to have been considered. This way we would of only of had to send 1 bomb instead of 2, which would of finished the job and send a clear message that surrender is not an option the first time around.

Alot the rocket technology The CCCP had came from Nazy Germany…

And this has exactly what to do with nuking Japan in WWII? The only delivery system available then was aeroplanes.

Really?

As the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945 was drawing to a close, Russian rocket designers learned about German missiles, whose size and range exceeded their wildest expectations. German experience helped Russian rocket scientists make a giant leap forward in the second half of the 1940s.
http://www.russianspaceweb.com/rockets.html

Anyway, you’re confusing rocket artillery with rockets.

Hello, I am a complete idiot. Please ignore me like every else does…

Von Braun or Eugene Sanger… Russian background? never heard that before.

no… I mean I would like to know about the Rocket scientists.

are you all right?

I did not write that. Someone who thinks they own this website edited my comment and put that statement in there to defame me. No doubt they will delete this response as well and put something else unprofessional and tarnish my good name.

Sanger contributed very little while Von Braun’s reputation appears to have been thoroughly whitewashed by the Cold War. He was up to his neck in war crimes/slave labour and his postwar reputation was built on the successes of the (overwhelmingly American) workforce at NASA.
Sergei Korolev contributed at least as much as Von Braun, while Konstantin Tsiolkovsky puts them all in the shade (with only possibly Robert Goddard and Hermann Oberth having contributed as much). Oberth is an arguable German - his parents were Saxons, but lived in Romania and he spent quite a lot of his career there.

Sanger was important for the US space shuttle program, I heard.

??? Korolev would never have fired a rocket into space in the 1950ies if it wasn’t for the second echelon of german engineers deported to russia in 1945. Neither would the “overwhelming american” workforce without Redstone and the german crew.
Konstantin Tsiolkovsky is actually completely insignificant, because
a) his work was pretty much unknown outside of russia
b) you as an engineer should know this best, it’s one thing to run through some equations and another one to build the thing.

Not convinced personally. The Russians mainly got technicians rather than engineers, and not all that many of them either. I tend towards the attitude that the Russian missile programme was more an outgrowth of prewar work given top-level support due to the publicity gained by the German programme, rather than being based on the German work.

The very start of the US space programme was pretty much a transplant of Peenemunde. However, the actual number of Germans was pretty small - the overwhelming majority of the work was done by Americans.

When Russia was the foremost spacefaring power, and IMHO still has the best rockets, why does this count against him? If anything you could argue that his being unknown outside Russia is the reason the Russians are ahead (dodgy argument, but no worse than yours :wink: )

Nah, I take the other attitude. If someone gives me the equations, time and a big enough budget I can do it. If they can’t run through the equations, I’m stuffed.

Herman Gröttrup for example was an engineer, he developed the guidance system for the A4. They just didn’t get the big names. And imho they were actually smarter than the US by also tapping into the knowledge of technicians and not just the eggheads.

The equations had obviously been solved elsewhere as well, that’s why K.T.'s significance for the practical implementation is null. Even though russia had the theoretical fundament they needed the trial and error experience of practical implementation to kickstart the program, so did the US. And von Braun designed the Saturn V with a mostly german engineering team. Just the technicians, as you put it, were americans. They were of course much more numerous than the engineers. It’s obvious that both nations would have developed their rocket programs to the same level, even without the germans and their expertise, but not in the same timeframe, no matter how much money they’d have spent.
There are things in engineering you can’t speed up, but you know that.