Some photos of my tours...

Yes, that turned out very nice, appreciate the hard work rudeerude!

Yeah, they would have made good lawn ornaments. Kind of reminds me of the tanks that sit outside of VFW Posts (Veterans of Foreign Wars for those not in the know). At least the one near my house.

Thanks guys for the positive comments :smiley:

From my last Bastogne trip:

The impressive Mardasson Memorial

StG 44 with canvas magazine pouch

Schweres MG42 with ammo and accessories

Nice display of NSU Kettenkrad of Panzerlehrdivision:

That last one is in a bad way. He’s only half the man he used to be. :slight_smile:

Another example for the German’s desperate situation concerning personnel during the Battle of the Bulge.

On the other hand though, the photo does illustrate Germany’s huge technological advantage in advanced prosthetics…:wink:

Well I will probably never see the many memorial sites,museums dedicated to WWII in France,Belgium and etc.I have a little something from California,USA.First is a static B17G displayed as “Preston’s Pride” of the 379th BG.It was gift from the USAF to American Veterans post No.56 in 1958.It is a memorial to the men and women of Tulare,Ca who served their country in WWII.I pass by this bomber every time go visit my family.Its right off highway 99.I took this picture from the highway.

Second one.I took these picture’s visiting my family for Christmas 09.This WWII memorial is in Union City,Calif,my original hometown.As a kid this Memorial was just 2 blocks from my house at its first location.It was moved to its current location in the early 90’s.

Ramon K. Pagan,commissioned a granite cenotaph paid for by contributions from the parents of the men and women who served from 1941-45. Fund raising began in 1945 and the monument was dedicated on Nov 10, 1946. Rather than record an honor roll of only those who died, Pagan had the foresight to set in stone the names of all who served. A star appears beside the names of those who did not return.The monument cost 2,000 dollars.

Decoto was a district still in the 40’s ,not yet a city.

As of Memorial Day 2009,the 239 names on the monument, 19 veterans survive.Star for KIA

The names on the monument seem to be predominantly Latino.

Would they be likely to be descendants of the early Spanish in California or more recent pre-WWII arrivals from Mexico?

Both, probably.

Alternatively, it shows you who they would send first :smiley:

I’m sure to remember that rudeerude once mentioned his ancestors were from Mexico as well.

Thats really hard to say RS.As for as I know Decoto has always had a Latino community.There could many scenarios,first generation,second generation Mexican-Americans,the sons of migrant workers.Another scenario,Mexican citizens that fought for the US could become US citizens after the war.I believe this is still practiced? An example,on my fathers side my grandfather is the only person in my family born in Mexico.My grandmother was born in East L.A…On my mothers side my grandparents are Tejanos,born in Texas.You have to remember we(Mexicans) have always been here the border was what moved.

The propeller on the ground looks like that of a Blenheim IV. Which means it could equally be from a Beaufort, which was the torpedo-carrier version of a Blenheim in any case. For Bornholm, this makes sense, as there were RAF Coastal Command anti-shipping attacks laid-on at Bornholm, late in the war, and during which several casualties are recorded. The serial number of either engine, propeller, or propeller constant speed mechanism will identify the exact aircraft, eventually.

My thoughts tend to place the engine and prop as remains of a Bristol Beaufort.

Kind Regards, Uyraell.

Very good pics, FTG, most interesting, and my Thanks for sharing them. :slight_smile:

Kindest Regards, Uyraell.

Thanks, mate, it’s about time that the snow melts and I can start over again!

Some guy in my parents’ neighborhood built himself this kind of shrine-thing in his frontyard which my father showed me lately:

I was seriously thinking about pinching that rusty Wehrmacht helmet “in cloak and dagger manner” but then my old man told me that the legitimate owner is a retired member of a bomb disposal unit. So I chose to restrain from my villainous plans since there’s a certain possibility that this guy somehow attached the helmet to that bombs detonator…:lol:

Is something ticking?

Gotta check it out next time I’ll be there.:wink:

There has to be an interesting story behind it.

Any idea what it is?

No idea really but I sure will have to get in touch with that guy. He’s supposed to have some goodies back in his barn anyway I heard…