Suppressors/silencers for small arms.

Gotcha !!

No…I didnt sink any cruiser, I just found out some images of sectioned german silencers.

Schalldampfer STD 6

The design look extremely simple, it had 3 chambers and and bayonet like coupling. The first tapered baffle looks a bit tricky to manufacture in a lathe, probably was done by stamping.

Looks very crude in comparaison to the British designs of the time.

Has it spent time underwater/ground or in some sort of treatment?

According to the site it was found in a bomb hole.

Schauer silencer:

A civilian designer wich patented two design for for supressor one mit semihespherical baffles and other with conical baffles.

Model 1909

Model 1911.

So little space between baffles in this late design, I would feel more confortable with the first design. I have no data of decibel reduction but I am pretty sure the Mdel 1909 is the best.

Those were used in WW1, in very limited scale, but the subsonic ammo wasnt available at that time.

Off topic from time tp time is very much allowed, its how new thread ideas often spring up.

Thread hijack is frowned upon though.

The 1909 model is the closest to the baffle suppressor shown in the gun n’ ammo article, save that it wasn’t tapered. The baffle shape is also the same.

:slight_smile: Probably you saw this:

SD T3

Schalldampfer ST 3 was a WW2 development of the tapred baffles Schauer system, teh total lenght was 298mm and its diameter 38 mm. It had a hinged coupling with a side adjustement.

And this was a very deadly and stealth package specially using the nahpatrone ammo, the K-98K with Sd T3 supressor and ZF 39 scope, its only lesser aspect was that the subsonic ammo has only a 120-150 meters of effective range.

I don’t thik this would completely silence a weapon such as this, and with sub sonic ammunition the rifle becomes practically useless in most applications.

It would be handy in keeping noise down and flash. To aid the shooter in hiding though.

Well, it would be interesting to know how was the terminal balistic ( i.e, effect in human body) of the Nahpatrone at some distance. The muzzle speed of the 190 grains projectile was some 300 m/s, at 100 meters in range that probably was about 210-200 m/s.

Could that bullet with reduced speed and energy kill ? I believe so.

Highly likely to be still capable of penetrating flesh, not neccesarily killing. However accuracy would fall off at the slower speed.

Right you lot, stop being silly.

Of course it can kill, that’s what it was designed to do. The ballistics are still superior to military pistol ammunition.

I also see no reason why it would be less accurate at its intended range, and would certainly be easier to shoot with due to lower recoil.

Absolutely. I would think that a reduced velocity rifle round is quite effective and short to intermediate ranges, since all of the energy would be transferred to the target…

Was not the .45ACP Carbine used by the SAS?

The de lisle carbine was based around a modified Thompson SMG barrel, many (even the following quote, refer to is as a “converted SMLE” or “based on SMLE” but in actual fact I wouldn’t say it was particularly based on ANY existing weapon!!! Just used a few bits from the Thompson and a few bits from the SMLE.

The designer was William De Lisle. It was based on a Short, Magazine, Lee-Enfield Mk III* converted to .45 ACP by modifying the receiver, altering the bolt/blothead, replacing the barrel with a modified Thompson submachine gun barrel, and using modified magazines from the M1911 pistol. The primary feature of the De Lisle was its very effective suppressor which made it very quiet in action - indeed working the bolt to chamber the next round makes a louder noise than firing a round.[1] The De Lisle carbine was used by British commandos and special forces, and was accurate to 250 metres.

The De Lisle was made in very limited numbers; 129 were produced during the period of 1942 to 1945 in three variations (Ford Dagenham Prototype, Sterling production and one Airborne prototype). Thompson submachine gun barrels were modified to provide the .45 calibre barrel, which was ported to provide a slow release of high pressure gas.

The suppressor, 2 inches in diameter, went all the way from the back of the barrel to well beyond the muzzle (the suppressor makes up half the overall length of the rifle), providing a very large volume of space to contain the gases produced by firing. This large volume was one of the keys to the effectiveness of the suppressor. The Lee-Enfield bolt was modified to feed the .45 ACP rounds, and the Lee-Enfield’s magazine assembly was replaced with a new assembly that held a modified M1911 magazine.

The De Lisle was used by special military units during World War II and the Malayan Emergency.

This is the only “folding stock” version made. The sling connections are on the side of the barrel and on the side of the weapon body (above the trigger).

The wooden stocked version. The sling connections are on the bottom of the barrel and stock.

The weapons were made by two firms (129 in total) the Winchester made variant was fitted with sights for range and windage.

My bold. Could well have been used by the SAS in the Malayan Emergency.

Ah yes, that’s the one! She was a beaut!

The conversion is less than trivial and involved reaming the bolt way, threading the barrel ahead of the chamber, cutting down and rethreading the bolt, drilling bleed holes into the barrel and so on.

Just 129 ? I tough it was made in larger numbers.

The De Lisle is repeatedly quoted as the most quieter of the silenced weapons in WW2. And knowing the effects of the big fat .45 bullet the terminal ballistic shouldnt be bad either.

SD T1, SD T2, SD T4

The silencers SdT1, SdT2 and SdT4 are base d upon the Eissfeldt system; the first one is constituted from 16 rooms of expansion, 6 of which contains diaphragms in rubber.

Schalldämpfer SD T1

The SdT2 model, version simplified of the previous one, has one front expansion room only sluice from one series of diaphragms in rubber; this model came used also on the guns machine-guns Vollmer MP-38/40 and Mauser “Gerät Postdam” and MP 3008, German copies of the Sten Mk II.

SD T4 supressor for submachineguns.

The SdT4 model is subdivided inner from rubber diaphragms; it is the exact copy of the Soviet model S-41 employed on the semi-automatic gun mod. SVT-40.

From: Combat and Survival: Volume 24, ISBN 0-87475-560-3, H. S. Stuttman Inc., 1991, pp 1408-1413

Thank you very much for sharing that article George Eller!!! It is very interessting! :slight_smile:

You’re very welcome Splinter :slight_smile:

I’m glad you like it. :wink:

Very nice George thanks, is interesting to realize that despite several types of silenced weapons in the market, the MP5D had almost wipe out the competition as the weapon of choice for special forces and SWAT teams.

It must be the typical “charm” of german weapons.:rolleyes:

You’re welcome Panzerknacker and thanks :slight_smile:

Yes, the H&K MP5 has been a very popular weapon. Of course the article is copyrighted from 1991, so it’s not the most current. According to the article, the De Lisle is the quietest silenced weapon ever developed. But, the H&K has had good sales worldwide. I guess it does have a certain sex appeal.