T-34 Tank

Another relevant point - it had wide tracks with low ground pressure. This meant that during quite a large part of the year only T-34s and IIRC Lend-Lease Studebacker trucks were the only vehicles able to move any distance by road. This was a major tactical/strategic advantage.

Hi GermanSoldier,

I for one like the pictures so keep them coming, the more the better. This is WW2 in color after all.:mrgreen:

Hi gentlements.
Nice to meet the new members are repeating our old discussions as at first time.:slight_smile:

Well pdf if you are here, and protect the T-34 :wink:
I just wish to add the later Germans tanks ( Panther and Tigers) were developed under inpression of soviet T-34. They had simular ( ore even more ) wide tracks.(but not simular mass Panther -47 tonns,Tiger 1/2 - 51/68 tonns against 32/34 tonns of T-34-76/85).
And you right the Studebacker was the best ( as it recal the soviets veterans) help of allies.
Together with T-34 the new US trucks was the power which gives the Red Army mobility in the Eastern bad roads.

As it was mentioned befor the main advantage of T-34 was the technological simplicity ( for the not hight-tech soviet industry in that time).This very importaint factors which let the Soviet plants made about 40 000 of T-34. If was literaly the most mass tank of the WW2. This lets soviet industry easy restored the loses of t-34 ( but not so easy the loses of tankers) after the great tanks battles like under the Kursk. As the resault - if Germany could able to made only 1250 Tigers of all modification and about 5 000 Panthers - they were uncapable to compare with soviets tanks industry( + UK/US industry) in common.
Another good factor was that the soviet industry had only two basic types of tanks scassi T-34( on which were developed the SU-85/100) and KV( which was basis for the IS-1/2, SU-122/152) being a litle modificated.
As the reault the soviets tankers had no shortage of spare parts for the soviet tanks.But Germnas who developed at least 4 modifications os tank and 4 of selph-propelled guns had it especialy in last period of war.
Cheers.

Actually the T-34 engine with it’s aluminium block was quite advanced for it’s day.
The first T-34s with the 76 mm gun were a bit undergunned, the later versions corrected this with a 85 mm gun. Also, while in the beginning only the troop commander had radio in his tank and had to expose himself to give orders to the other tanks in his troop by flag signals, this was later corrected as well.
The emergence of the T-34 and the KV-1 suddenly made a lot of German anti tank weapons obsolete. Especially the slanted armour proved to be huge advance over the vertical armour used until then (the slanted armour was copied on the Panther).

BTW, the German answer to the T-34 was the Pzkw V, the Panther.
The Pzkw VI, the Tiger was developed as an answer to the larger Russian KV-1 tank.

Jan

Didn’t the 85mm turrets have a 3 man crew in them?

Gunner, loader and tank commander I guess.

Yes gunner, loader, tank commander and mechanic/driver - 4 mens of crew of T-34

First of all calm down man with the pics ,second of all yea,that tank kick booty,but I like the Panzer IV better.

Yes, but T-34 is average tank. As I know Tiger is heavy, so then my favourite tank is KV-2, IS-1,2,3…

Hm, I was reading up on the battle of Stalingrad. There’s a part in the book where a Panzer Tank commander describes coming up behind a T-34. He then started to lob round at the tank, but instead the round simply bounced off the back of the tank. I guess the T-34’s had alot of armor on them. ; )

Does the panzer commander say what kind of tank he was in?

It didn’t say. I assume it may have been a Mark 4, or…

Probably was a KV not a T-34.

Thats a very good picture, someone asked if the hatches could be used as shields for the crew, yes, they are designed this way to provide protection from small arms fire and fragments. Panzerknacker, perhaps you can answer this question, I have seen many pictures of many tanks, and it seems that deep mud has some magical attraction that tanks cannot resist. An armored siren song so to speak… What do you think? - Raspenau -

muck.jpg

Panzerknacker, I’m sure it was a T-34 the German Tank Commander was firing at.

Any Idea if the German Commander was firing down on the T-34, or up at it? (like on an upward slope)it might make a difference considering the slope of the rear and side armor. Especially if it were an older mark of tank, with the smaller, lower velocity gun. Just some thoughts. - Raspenau -

Panzerknacker, perhaps you can answer this question, I have seen many pictures of many tanks, and it seems that deep mud has some magical attraction that tanks cannot resist. An armored siren song so to speak… What do you think? -

There is no much mystery, I guess a bad calculation by the driver is all you need to get stuck.

Panzerknacker, I’m sure it was a T-34 the German Tank Commander was firing at.

Roger that.

Well i think although the many advantages it had ,my opinion is that it was a grave on tracks for the crew correct me if I am wrong!!

Well,when many of the Russian Tanks where made during the time when Germany invaded them, they came right out of the factiories and out into a firefight. Many, without proper gunsights. Which led to a number of tanks loss.

Also, I heard something interesting from a site, that when ever a German Tank came in really close quarters, or when a T-34 Tank was out of ammunition, they would ram the German Tank. To say that the T-34’s armor would bash the German tank, and causing it to break down from more blows. I don’t know if it’s true or not, but it’d be nice to get soom history on it. I mean, you would really have to be desperate if the tank commabders came down to ramming there tank agaisnt another.

Also, I heard something interesting from a site, that when ever a German Tank came in really close quarters, or when a T-34 Tank was out of ammunition, they would ram the German Tank

That is true when engaging Tigers but in the early day were the germans who do that some times:

Kalinin front, 17 october 1941, this t-34 was rammed by a Stug III after the short barreled 75mm german gun failed to penetrate .

THE SU-100 TANK DESTROYER

Weight 31.6 tonnes
Length 9.45 m
Width 3.00 m
Height 2.25 m
Crew 4

Armor front 75 mm
side 45 mm
roof 20 mm
Primary armament - 100 mm gun D-10S
Secondary armament - none
Engine 12-cyl. 4-stroke diesel model V-2-34