tank debate

Number of tanks, or another weapon can’t be “enough” in the middle of the war. And the domination in production capacity maybe not twice, but tripple and more…

Another Topic I have moved to keep things clear.

hey! and panzer IV??? it was a good tank,better than sherman!.

it can have a place here? :slight_smile:

Funny story…I was walking thru Wal-mart the other day and passed the toy section. I happened to notice some toy tanks for they were selling. Probably about as big as 2 shoeboxes. I wouldnt have stopped but just happened to notice one of the tanks looked really familiar. The one that caught my eye…WW2 German Tiger tank. :shock: They of course had the Abrams tank as well. Had a German tank comander hanging out the top in uniform. You couldnt make out the Swaztika on his hat but there was a place for it. But just thought that was kinda weird.

:?: why is that wierd? i dont seem to get it… :?:

:?: why is that wierd? i dont seem to get it… :?:[/quote]

Just wasnt expecting to see them selling a Tiger tank to kids. Understand if it were some kind of WW2 collection shop but this was Wal-mart. Actually i should have bought the damn thing but didnt fill like dishing out 30 dollars for it.

I am afraid that the best must be the Cent as it would, and has, knocked spots off all of them and is still in service after 60 years.

i had lots of them when i was a child.

now,i still have them,i collect them,because i want a full collection :smiley: ,but new toys are nicer! :wink: .

here we have them with the swaztica too :lol:

More details about this “cent” tank??

The Centurion is a natural progression from the Cromwell (which out classed the Sherman but we had an awful lot of shamans and so never replaced it) used in recce regiments, the Comet and excellent tank seeing service in WW” and Korea, and this lead onto the A41 Centurion. The Cent entered service but never engaged enemy armour probably because there was not much left to fight. It would have outclassed any thing the Germans had at that time.

A little taste of the page.

http://www.golf-corner.net/articles/Centurion_tank

In 1943, the Department of Tank Design was asked to produce a new design for a heavy cruiser tank that under the designation A41. After a series of fairly marginal designs in the A series, and after facing the dreaded German 88mm gun, the War Office asked for a major overhaul, demanding increased durability, reliability, a maximum weight of 40 tons, and the ability to withstand a direct hit from the German 88mm gun. Tank Design responded by extending the long-travel 5-wheel suspension used on the Comet with the addition of a 6th wheel and an extended spacing between the 2nd and 3rd wheels. The hull was redesigned with welded sloped armour, and featured a partially cast turret mounting the excellent 17 pounder main gun and a 20mm Polsten cannon. With a Rover built Rolls-Royce Meteor engine, a version of the Rolls-Royce Merlin, the new design appeared to have excellent performance.

Thats a freakin cool tank! Sounds impressive

I’d go with the T34 or Panzer. The Tiger was lethal but less manuverable because of it’s bulk and weight. It was also more succeptable in the rear than some tanks if you compare by size or weight. This was a disadvantage in those times when tank fighting took place in urban environments, which ofcourse was not as common as rural fighting for tanks.

The T34 and Panzer represented something lesser than the Tiger but also more agile.

Yes SA Mil, as you probably know the Cent was the basis for the original Olifant, albeit quite modified.
It did extremely well in Angola against the T54/55 models the Cubans were fielding.

The School of Armour at Bloem in the Vrystaat is worth a visit if you can arrange it.

Which Panzer?

The T34 is only the best if you think that sheer quantity has a quality all of its own.

Which Panzer?

The T34 is only the best if you think that sheer quantity has a quality all of its own.[/quote]

Panzerkampfwagen IV is the one I like most.

Panzer just means Tank or Armour in English.

Jan

The T34 with the 85mm gun which came out in 1944 was probably the best tank. Inferior to the Comet and the Pershing but they weren’t really WWII tanks. I saw some that were still serving in the Macedonian Army in '99 but I think they’ve got rid of them now.

The Comet would definitely be classed as a WW2 tank seeing action in Germany. I could accept the argument that the Cent was not as it never saw (that I am aware of) combat action. But it was designed in WW2 and if D-Day had taken place as Churchill had wanted in 45 it would have made a big difference. The Comet was the baby brother of the Cent.

Sorry - I typed Comet but I meant Centurion.

Any excuse is a good excuse. :slight_smile:

I would strongly agree that the Comet could hold its own against any other tank fielded at that time. I also believe that the vast investment that Great Britain put into buying Shermans led to unwillingness to replace them with the Cromwells and Comets as they cam off the line. I also understand that Great Britain was still producing obsolescent tank in 43/44, which did not help matters.