The Atomic Bomb - what if?

Still, you are the most brainless of the forum. One never hears anything thoughtful from you. Nothing more than a fish could conjure up on a good day.

The UK started an atomic bomb project with the cryptonym TUBE ALLOYS which was folded into the Manhattan Project after the Quebec Agreement of 1943.

The Quebec Agreement was a combination of both a working-together arrangement and the prototype for a NNPT.

The initial TUBE ALLOYS project was based on the Frisch-Peierls memorandum, writen at Birmingham University in 1940.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisch-Peierls_memorandum

For the sole benefit of Ironman, this is Birmingham, England, not Birmingham, Alabama.

The British and Americans worked together because that made more sense than having two seperate projects.

Among the scientists and mathematicians who participated in the Manhattan Project were Philip H. Abelson, Hans Bethe, Niels Bohr, Sir James Chadwick, Enrico Fermi, Richard Feynman, Otto Frisch, George Kistiakowsky, Ernest Lawrence, Philip Morrison, Seth Neddermeyer, John von Neumann, Rudolf Peierls, I. I. Rabi, Leo Szilard, Edward Teller, Stanislaw Ulam, Harold Urey, and Victor Weisskopf

Taken from Encarta

Sir James Chadwick was head of the Britsh scientists working on the project. He worked at Liverpool University (NW England) and won the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1935 for discovering the neutron

Otto Frisch was born into a Jewish family in Vienna. When the Nazis took power he fled to Copenhagen. He then moved to Britain in 1940.

Sir Mark Oliphant was an Australian working at Cambridge University when he joined the project.

So there’s three that I could be bothered Googling.

If you have a look at This page it gives a list of all the scientists that worked on the project, many of whom were either British or foreigners working in Britain when the war began.

Even Operation Alsos ( the operation to capture German nuclear secrets) contained several British members as well.
This picture shows members of the team dismantling the German experimental reactor at Haigerloch.
You can see that several of the members wear British uniforms and webbing.

BTW, in the 1920s-1930s, there existed four main international centres, where most nuclear discoveries were made:
Göttingen in Germany: Heisenberg, Planck et al
Cambridge, England: Rutherford, Cockroft, Walton et al.
Copenhagen, Denmark: Bohr et al.
Paris: Joliot et al.

A minor research centre was Berkeley in the US and Princetown, after Einstein moved there.

Jan

Ignore him, he is trolling. Even if you produced a nominal roll of all who worked on the project he would disagree and argue black was white and then white was black.

He know very little and his grasp of geography is very poor.

Edited so that Firefly could sleep safe tonight. :smiley: I appreciate your observation :oops: and diligence in reading my post, thank you.

England had it’s playgrounds in Scotland and Ireland to conduct all the research it needed to. So why didn’t they do more to develop nuclear technology. Actually, they didn’t have the foresight to prepare for defending against the Germans. But why didn’t they have the forethought to work on developing the atomic bomb?[/quote]

Before Einstein, A German Jew, warned Roosevely of the potential for an Atom bomb, the US wasnt working on one either. A fair proportion of the scientests were not US citizens, a lot of them were british.

What is your problem. Are you just gunning for the ban from yet another site?

IRONMAN - what do you know abuot WW2 - there were two huge powers, the German and Nazi troops sitting geographically in midst of their oppostiiton, The allies, the Allies were in the US the UK and the USSR. Now bearing in mind that the US and the UK were “all on the same side” What would be the point of having individual projects.

Secondly if you are going to rely on one for m of technology to win you the war, what is the point of building that technology within spitting distance of your opponent. The Russians built many of their war industries including Tankergrad behind the Ural mountains well beyond the estimated advance of any German armoured thrust. Why then would the British base their research ini the British Isles where, if the Islands fell, it would go directly to the Nazi’s when they could instead base their operations in the US free from bombing, and much less likely to fall into hte hands of the Germans.

NOW FUCK OFF

I RON HEAD wrote

But why didn’t they have the forethought to work on developing the atomic bomb

Ahh, the joys of 20/20 hind sight.

Well, I wonder if in a few years time someone will ask why didn’t they have the forethought to invent the Ozagobel field generator. Then this would never have happened…

or why didn’t they invent the impervious suit to protect their soldiers sooner?

instead of this they should have been wearing this…

Hindsight, it’s fantastic.

Im sorry but youve just made my most hated mistake in all the world.

Its Nominal ROLL!

I do apologise and have given-away the secret of how to annoy me now.

The Americans are looking in to a modern suit of armour similar to the dude at the bottom.

They have even invented petrol powered legs, that allow a soldier to walk with heavy weigt - think that machine riply used in aliens.

But why did they not have the forethought to do this years ago?

Edit to add. Found it sooner than I thought!!!

For more see www.detnews.com/pix/ 2004/03/11/tech-legs.250.jpg

Eexcellent.

Now all he needs to do is work out how the fuck hes going to put 500 rounds of link, a couple of mortar bombs 4 days rats, a radio, a gonk bag and a spare battery in that bergen as well, and hell be able to keep at least half a mile ahead of his forward operating base and its 5000 watt generator.

What the hell do you do when the machine breaks and you have to carry that thing back to base, and why the hell is he waeing forrest gump leg braces? - Where are his block shoes.

Trust me Bluff, one day we’ll all be wearing this stuff.

This is Mk 1

The 45 kilogram exoskeleton can make carrying its own weight and another 30 kilograms feel like less than three kilograms, the researchers said.

We will pass through these

Before this…

A uranium enrichment plant, especially if it uses the obsolete, but easy to design Calutrons, needs huge amounts of electricity. Oak Ridge was chosen due to several reasons: A relatively unpopulated area, where land could be easily requisitioned, it is sited in a valley, where access can be easily controlled, it is far enough from the coast to prevent enemy planes from flying over, it was close enough to the Tennessee Valley Authority dams and hydroelectric powerplants to get the energy it required. It even had a river flowing through the valley, supplying cooling water for the first reactor used to breed plutonium.
Once plutoinum manufacturing started seriously, another plant was built, again in a remote are, close to a large river and hydroelectric power plant: Hanford in Washington at the Columbia River.

There are no hydroelectric powerplants in the UK big enough to have supplied such a facility, especially during the war, when there was also a shortage of coal for conventional plants.
Then all facilities with the UK would have been in range of both German aereal reconnaisance and bombers. Also, Britain has a much higher population density, it is not easy to declare a huge part of the country off limits to the population.

A lot of the theoretical research leading to the nuclear bomb was done in Europe, but the experimental stage could only be done in the US.

Los Alamos was not built for nothing in the middle of nowhere.

Jan

Edit:
Here is a link to the Oak Ridge National Laboratory history page:
http://www.ornl.gov/info/ornlreview/rev25-34/chapter1.shtml

My goodness you are right, Our RSM turned up to Parade the other day wearing this!

This reminds me of this BBC article:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/4189634.stm

:twisted: :smiley:

Jan

So the question remains. Why did britain not have a project of it’s own like this? Why did they not have the egg-heads to realize that it was important enough and pheasible enough to invest in a project to develop the nuclear weapon?

Why did they act only as assistants to the US scientists who developed the nuclear weapon?

Was britain lacking the minds of the time for that? Did they not have the foresight? What was it?

I refer you to my earlier post viz the 1940 memorandum about the possibilities of a nuclear bomb. This started the TUBE ALLOYS project, which eventually became part of the Manhattan Project.

Yes, it shows the RAF leads the way in inclusivity.

:stuck_out_tongue:

RAF on the left, army on the right?

Notice how Ironman will not now post anything of substance in this thread because his ridculous claims that only US scientists were involved in the Manhattan Project have been thoroughly debunked. He won’t admit he was wrong. He won’t make any useful discussion on the topic.

Just incedental and out of topic, we have an Ironman like character on our squadron who is known as the 1000lb retard!