The First Royal Hungarian University Assault Battalion in the siege of Budapest

The memoirs of Elischer Gyula, Budapest on December 24:

“The morning near the highway Vienna, Budapest Nyergesújfalu retreated under the trees in front of an airplane
We had a car wheel cserlkbu at about two o’clock in the afternoon a plane back to us and machinegun us
Again it was a flat tire and spare wheel to the absence of a straw so we got to cram in Óbuda, where the tire disintegrated
I went on foot to the headquarters where I arrived before dark, bloody broke my leg in riding boots
Only the compulsory servicemen were the tribes of the century headquarters and everyone went home on Christmas eve
Slightly I rested when I called the phone: it was the youth leader on the line and told me that the Russians had broken through the Eastern of the Danube and only Hármashatárhegy there is also a road where it can be reached from Budapest. They start the evacuation of the youth to the west, and with youth organizations at midnight and if I want to join the battalion will be called back at 10 pm
I gave the order to immediately return all the Battalion of the unit, and the squadrons to be ready to leave their quarters
Even before I left, so I talked to my mother that we will meet on Christmas Eve at my godmother: I arrived late on a small Christmas tree with candles already lit when I arrived.
The saw how tired I am embraced by agreeing dinner sleep, deep sleep
Large explosion woke up from the sleep, a fell down a mine in the thereabout.
Quietly we passed each other gifts and had dinner quickly, no one talked sokat.My mother felt that something was wrong, I admitted that Russians closed around Budapest
The doorbell rang, the car waiting for me, I said goodbye quickly”

The memoirs of Gyula Elischer Commander Of The First Royal Hungarian University Assault Battalion from december of 24th of 1944

"The morning near the highway Vienna, Budapest Nyergesújfalu retreated under the trees in front of an airplane
We had a car wheel change at about two o’clock in the afternoon and a plane back to us and machinegun us again
Again it was a flat tire and spare wheel to the absence of a straw so we got to cram in Óbuda, where the tire disintegrated
I went on foot to the headquarters where I arrived before dark, bloody broke my leg in riding boots

Only the compulsory servicemen were the tribes of the century headquarters and everyone went home on Christmas eve
Slightly I rested when I called the phone: it was the youth leader on the line and told me that the Russians had broken through the Eastern of the Danube and only Hármashatárhegy there is also a road where it can be reached from Budapest. They start the evacuation of the youth to the west, and with youth organizations at midnight and if I want to join the battalion will be called back at 10 pm
I gave the order to immediately return all the Battalion of the unit, and the squadrons to be ready to leave their quarters

Even before I left, so I talked to my mother that we will meet on Christmas Eve at my godmother: I arrived late on a small Christmas tree with candles already lit when I arrived.
The saw how tired I am embraced by agreeing dinner sleep, deep sleep
Large explosion woke up from the sleep, a fell down a mine in the thereabout.
Quietly we passed each other gifts and had dinner quickly, no one talked too much. My mother felt that something was wrong, I admitted that Russians closed around Budapest
The doorbell rang, the car waiting for me, I said goodbye quickly"

Picture

The map of the encircled of Budapest in december of 1944

The dense black line means the Red Army circle around the capitol and the inward black and grey spread arrows means the military maneuvers of the Red Army

http://www.russkiivopros.com/images/FCKeditor/image/2010_01_SOVIET_MILITARY/1_2_Study_Hungary_html_siege_of_Budapest.png

The memoirs of Elischer Gyula, Budapest from December 24th of 1944

"Returning to the headquarters indicated that all but one of the two boys came back, we had to call the youth leader after a quarter of an hour
Budapest to go out with the Arrow Cross, party, Gestapo or any similar or youth organizations
If we fight or fail, or captured might have been confused with each member once and for all, the event with they fate and ours verdict would have been

I decided we stay, I informed my views of the youth leaders, the decision was entrusted to me without debate

Immediately I sent a heavily armed reconnaissance swarms up to the junction Zugliget - Hűvösvölgy
Even that night two civilian clothes but armed Russian soldiers caught in such a reconnaissance squad near the Italian Line Of Trees at the northern end, interestingly, the next day they were released the two individuals because one of the commanders said that these are his people (the commander that point suspected of spying and have more attention)

Even before midnight on 24 December a patrol of about 20 people went out of my without my awareness
One of the boys he wanted to go home but nobody was home for Christmas Eve, and they have to been returned.
Backwards coming they saw a truck and a Russian tank on the Pest side, which had run into the side of the road, They students encircling it and the tower tank was destroyed and the truck’s engine room is shoot apart
The Russian soldiers fled in the darkness, there was hardly any shooting but one boy was wounded in the leg. It was the first firefight in the west side of the capitol (Buda), Budapest after a full enclosure, this was the first clash between the Red Army and among the University Assault Battalion

The next morning I sent a patrol to the spot and in the morning the report was that the truck was still there in the morning on December 25 but the tank is no longer"

The memoirs of Gyula Elischer Commander Of The First Royal Hungarian University Assault Battalion

"Returning to the headquarters indicated that all but one of the two boys came back, we had to call the youth leader after a quarter of an hour
Budapest to go out with the Arrow Cross, party, Gestapo or any similar or youth organizations?
If we fight or fail, or captured might have been confused with each member once and for all, the event with they fate and ours verdict would have been

I decided we stay, I informed my views of the youth leaders, the decision was entrusted to me without debate

Immediately I sent a heavily armed reconnaissance swarms up to the junction Zugliget - Hűvösvölgy
Even that night two civilian clothes but armed Russian soldiers caught in such a reconnaissance squad near the Italian Line Of Trees at the northern end, interestingly, the next day they were released the two individuals because one of the hungarian commanders said that these are his people (the hungarian commander that point suspected of spying and have more attention)

Even before midnight on 24 December a patrol of about 20 people went out of my without my awareness
One of the boys he wanted to go home but nobody was home for Christmas Eve, and they have to been returned.
Backwards coming they saw a truck and a Russian tank on the Pest side, which had run into the side of the road, They students encircling it and the tower tank was destroyed and the truck’s engine room is shoot apart
The Russian soldiers fled in the darkness, there was hardly any shooting but one boy was wounded in the leg. It was the first firefight in the west side of the capitol (Buda), Budapest after a full enclosure, this was the first clash between the Red Army and among the University Assault Battalion

The next morning I sent a patrol to the spot and in the morning the report was that: the truck was still there in the morning on December 25 but the tank is no longer"

The memoirs of Gyula Elischer Commander Of The First Royal Hungarian University Assault Battalion from 24th of december 1944

Budapest to go out with the Arrow Cross, party, Gestapo or any similar or youth organizations?

Even that night two civilian clothes but armed Russian soldiers caught in such a reconnaissance squad near the Italian Line Of Trees at the northern end, interestingly, the next day they were released the two individuals because one of the hungarian commanders said that these are his people (the hungarian commander that point suspected of spying and have more attention)

The next morning I sent a patrol to the spot and in the morning the report was that: the truck was still there in the morning on December 25 but the tank is no longer"

On Christmas of 1944 was closed the next ring of German and Hungarian troops around Budapest

German forces
IX. SS Mountain Corps headquarters
8th SS Cavalry Division Florian Geyer
22. SS Cavalry Division Maria Theresia
13th Armored Division
Ferdherrnhalle Armored Grenadier Division

Hungarian forces
I Corps headquarters
10th Infantry Division
12. Reserve Division
I. Cavalry Division
I. Armoured Division
I. and II, University Assault Battalion
12 different applications Battalion
5 Police Battalion
The Guard Battalion of Budapest
1,500 armed men from the Arrow Cross Party

The number of relieving trapped in combat units in the Army Group South dated December 30, 1944 as reported by head count to 95,000 (45,000 German and 50,000 Hungarian) was established on the head count
Budapest “fortress” was declared (Festung Budapest) was effective commander in chief SS Obergruppenführer Karl Pfeffer Wildenbruch

The memoirs of Gyula Elischer Commander Of The First Royal Hungarian University Assault Battalion

On 27 December the 2nd had to find accommodation for the new company at the Baár Madas High School girl’s school building was remarkably reasonable and kept under fire
Sentries stood in front of the newly occupied accommodation patches
The password and password sound system has been deployed on the first day because of the war and spy for partisan activities, it was necessary, after the German team with the same password, and German-language daily changing sound definitions published in the daily briefing
Often the first line of the day’s arrivals did not know the password but they ushered in the guard headquarters which proved themselves to be unprecedented, it would have been shot because he could not anybody password

December 28, Gyula Elischer morning by phone from an unknown officer was ordered to relieve the Látóhegy fighting there since December 24, this German outfit
He stood on the edge of approximately 20-man corps and panzerschrecks and a machine gun, and walked toward the fairly distant command post, where they arrived at noon

"German unity to replace the commander of the Waffen SS was a young officer, he was wearing a long robe open, and Knight’s Cross with a submachine gun in the neck
He showed me the positions and then we went to a nice modern two-storey house
A large expensively furnished living room which we climbed up a curving staircase to the second floor
The owner was a middle-aged man, with worried face and quickly disappeared into the other room
The German officers on top of a large concert grand open his maps and showed our situation
We spoke a few words in german, said that high school teacher, he spoke nice german and he was very sympathetic "

The german officer warned the boys: Passen Sie auf die Scharfschützen drüben! (Watch out for snipers over there!)

The students behind the trenches are used to protect a small ditch ran front page in addition to the replacement of sandbags positions of German soldiers. Just saw a German soldier. Across the road is a dead German soldier lay on his thin streaks of blood running down his face, he has a headshot
The students ‘snipers’ went up to the roof of the house as the others took their positions a short about 150-200 m long section
Soon almost two dozen Russian machine-gun soldiers stormed in from the left wing but the university machine gun to beat it, just a few Russians managed to run back only. The Russians tried to shoot out the machinegun but the students relocated the machinegun to other position
The fighting quieted down somewhat, only sporadically sometimes a shot.

Gyula Elischer just watched the enemy from behind a dense bush when he felt something hard hitting shoulder, and immediately fell backward
In the house woke up lying on the mattress where, “Go back to the line boys!” he said repeatedly to the boys who took four corners of the mattress and ran with him to the path where a truck was laid with several wounded and was taken to the military hospital of Creation (Alkotás) street

Gyula Elischer left lung had far be it the bullet large hole in his shoulder and injured the pleura (it only later, in 1974, discovered that another 25mm rifle bullet has been included Elischer neck and in the back migrating off of the left kidney and stopped this surgery in 1974 out of doctors)

Later Elischer hospital and from there transferred to the MAV hospital and later the Pajor Sanatorium thence later the soviets want to take him as a POW to the Soviet Union but he during the transport burn down the floor of the vagon’s floor and escape from the prisoners train but this story will be reported later in the topic

Meanwhile, the “Forest Shelter” restaurant Olaf Szamody and another battalion commander of the university is 6-8 with soldiers is wounded
On December 28 1944 at the “Forest Shelter” restaurant Szamodyt and his university student unit, and with 50 german soldier encircled by the Russians
They broke out in 1944 on December 28 from the circle and later Olaf Szamody awarded EK II (german iron cross second class) for this brave action

The “Forest Shelter” restaurant as aid station is designed as a Hungarian German armed forces and its Joachim Rumohr 8 SS Florian Geyer Cavalry Division Commander also visited personally and told to keep the restaurant because it is the most north-western point and should be here in connection with the relief armies (the exemption is the 5. SS Wiking Panzer Division who was at that time the Pilis Mountains progress)

"To the German troops with our relationship was all along comradely, joint struggle connected to us. Actually, we were lucky too, that much we were fighting for since 1941 by German soldiers, because it is incomplete training we fly had to be replenished and to remember the German soldiers respectfully who are dangerous and critical locations are always self-occupied and tried to protect us from loss. Good humor tried to encourage us tried to keep the spirit within us.

I still remember Hermann Maringele SS Untersturmfuhrer performances which are held in the dugout… "Do not be afraid of boys, I was there at Stalingrad it and got out safely healthy, we’ll be out of here too "
Strangely enough, he was right, at least in the person of his own regarding the outbreak climbed down and got out at the end of February received the Knight’s Cross, of my knowledge he is is still alive today" - from Denes Vass university Battalion soldier memoirs

The students of the German 22.SS Maria Theresia divisions and the German 8th SS Cavalry Division Florian Geyer fought partly wedged between houses partially fighting trenches, the university students were changed weekly

The New Year’s Eve tried almost every round shall celebrate, the soldiers of the I University Company , on 31 December 1944 made 50 eggs scrambled and made a 25-liter canisters dessert honey serving up, gypsy musicians playing violin
The Buda Castle café also bought a set of champagne glasses and soldiers of the II Company, it consumed them had not ran for dinner

Despite the good feeling that no one is forgotten there’s a war: the Russians fired on the Hungarian-German positions and many of the day to the night of fallen or wounded
The sentries on duty of course, only hear and listening the music sheets and the violin far away on New Years night of 1944-1945

Bela Almay first days of January, Colonel General Staff sent a summary report for the Minister of Defence:

"The Siege of Budapest until January of 1945 report the following: Budapest defence forces brave and enduringly protects despite all the difficulties Budapest. The population is disciplined and calm, everyone blindly believe the leaders acquitted the German militarty reinforments save Budapest .The students who protecting Rosehill (Rózsadomb) protecting students show brave the steadfastness
Finally I think to the food, the ammunition situation and taking into account the spiritual moments dismissal experiments should be obtained within one week, otherwise we lose together in Budapest in us nearly 100,000 German and Hungarian soldiers’’

January 1945 1st Zoltan Miko Staff Captain head of the military counter intelligence class (who previously was mentioned in connection with the intercepted two plainclothes armed spy certified Russians run) visited at his headquarters Lajos Balás Sipekit head of the University Assault Battalion that to release over the Russians at defense lines at the Rose Hill (Rózsadomb)

When Staff Captain Zoltan has already dealt with that has created an open secret team, from deserters military personels, left communist political refugee and Jews who had been to have made sometimes a new identity card and passports
Zoltán Mikó was in contact with Raoul Wallenberg Swedish Ambassador of the Royal Embassy who has 600 blank passports for that Jews who had business connections in Sweden
But the drama of Budapest Jews Wallenberg convinced that it must do more, thousands of blank cards and other paper for save the Jews from deportation
(Wallenberg disappeared mysteriously after the war, he too believed the Russians were also deported or executed)

Zoltan Miko this free team before the encirclement of Budapest sent out with a view to the mountains, to establish contact with the Russians and the Red Army but it was without much success, the Russians have not dealt with them
Budapest, Hungary Zoltan Miko has organized the leadership of the Communist partisan resistance group that was appointed Counterintelligence center circle deposit, so the foreigners access has become impossible or very difficult, so he made his secret partisan activities made freely

The plan originally was to open in two places at the front of Russian soldiers
First, he tried the Germans, with the trick that gladly replace the tired German soldiers at one of the point in the front line but the Germans did not fall for the trick because the German high command did not trust the Hungarian military leadership
Another attempt was one of the head of the University Assault Battalion Lajos Balas Sipeki who did not supported the idea, so the Russians plan to transfer a complete failure

Zoltan Miko who are so waiting for the “liberators” and who volunteered for the Soviet military command reported the partisan activities of the Russians, not many thanked him after the siege of Budapest as the typical russian style way

The Russians after the war Zoltán Mikó the Staff Captain head of the military counter intelligence class and partisan communist saboteur as a prisoner of war deported in the Soviet Union on August 15 1945 and was executed in Odessa

The Russian military prosecutor otherwise rehabilitation department on 18 October 1991 Zoltan Miko as a innocent rehabilitated to classify the case against him after almost 50 years!

“Zoltán Mikó the Staff Captain head of the hungarian military counter intelligence class and partisan communist saboteur was illegally arrested on the 8th and 9th July 1945 by the Red Army Group South.The most severe punishment, verdict to shot to dead by.The sentence performed on August 15, 1945 in Odessa.Zoltán Mikó rehabilitated from all charges on 18 of october in 1991”

The tribute site of Raoul Wallenberg Swedish Ambassador of the Royal Embassy

http://www.raoulwallenberg.org/raoulwallenberg_aheroforourtime.htm.html

Memoirs from Dénes Vass, soldier from the University Assault Battalion

“The front line of war material delivery is only in the late afternoon evening could be implemented in the foreseeable future as well by the Red Army in the areas moving with the supply cart would have meant certain death
A beautiful sunny January afternoon we passed to the warehouse for receive ammo supply with a horse-drawn carriage
Hardly anything could hear the noise of war was as if everyone had an afternoon siesta
Suddenly a Soviet fighter jet appeared above us and opened fire on us
Fortunately, even jumping off the wagon empty ammunition with my old private comrade John, who drive the supply cart and the old John and I was looking for cover at the base of a stone fences
The horse stood calmly on the edge of the road, in the eyes of the flashes of tracer bullets could only see
I do not know how long it took, the fighter plane attack on us all three times and then disappeared was flying in the blue sky”

The university battalion have the next set of weapons and ammunition held in January 1945:

I. squad (32 people)

• 4 Bergmann submachine gun
  • 24 pieces of Mauser rifle
  • 3 x M36 machine gun
  • 1 pistol

II. squad (33 people)

• 4 Bergmann submachine gun
  • 26 pieces of Mauser rifle
  • 2 x M36 machine gun
  • 1 pistol

The ammunition for 7-10 days

• Machine guns: 20 storage
  • The rifles: 5000 rounds (about 100 shots for each rifle)
  • The machine gun for 10 storage
  • 425 pieces of stielhandgrenade and 350 Vécsey handgrenade

The above figures show that the weapons nor ammunition but especially the students had very little
The weapons used were poorly maintained weapons unless the machine guns but also those of minus 10 degrees have become unreliable and often stuck

Memoirs from a soldier from the University Assault Battalion

“We got a 65mm grenade launcher and even at the beginning of January alone, but the lieutenant did to manage, we’ll still far from being seen grenade launcher
The lieutenant is a quiet time we set up the fire hose to target a house in the 800 meters was Hármashatár hillside where a Russian sniper nestled itself
The first test ended in failure, the starter tube is filled with unexploded missile dropped. The Lieutenant command everyone from near and highlighted the grenade carefully examining the inside of the pipe revealed that the firing pin after the dust clogged and sand.
After the clean out the tube the next experiment amply commander leading capabilities, “the house of the Soviet sniper” rifle went dead after hit
This is the only heavy weapons could use only distress due to lack of ammunition”

The university assault batalion feeding the battalion’s kitchen was large but often difficult
Largely foreseeable by the Red Army and kept under fire ground motion was only somewhat safe after dark, Stalin candles which are regularly fired on the Russians for several minutes with daylight world were the surroundings

The camp kitchen mostly made of horse meat goulash soup also mentioned the horse-drawn carriages were delivered to the placement quarter to fail to dispatch the units fighting on the front line of food the students have prepared themselves often canned milk pancakes or the Germans exchanged canned ham
The enclosed units for the supply of airplanes thrown off but it happened that they sometimes fell down the containers between the two front

The Germans’ Sturmgepack " was called stated as follows

• 10 12 crackers
  • 50 grams of margarine
  • 50 grams of Marmalade
  • A couple of sugar cubes
  • A slice of chocolate
  • 1 canned ham
  • 60 rifle ammunition
  • 2 hand grenade
  • 1 Panzerfaust

25 January 1945 about whether overt discouragement came over was tired of sleepless be replaced without res made no secret of that are less and less hope for the acquittal German exemption
The food was getting poorer ones, and in the fighters who’s in the fist lines sometimes hadn’t have warm food for days

Picture

“Stalin candle” - High performance flare used to see the Red Army troops at night
http://www.roncskutatas.hu/sites/default/files/images/16263.jpg