The First Royal Hungarian University Assault Battalion in the siege of Budapest

Memoirs of a soldier from the University Assault Battalion
“January 1945 was particularly lucky that ruined villa in certain steel cables covered with brick and stone rubble still barely passable streets on foot the bicycle was no harm”

This was due to the fierce fighting of east of BudaPest inflict harsh.
The besieging Red Army - if they are suspected Germans - did not spare either the residential houses or monuments
Officially took possession of the eastern part of Budapest by the Russians and hundreds were left fuming ruined buildings in the wake of the Soviet and Romanian troops on January 18th

Despite the fact that almost immediately began clearing away the rubble, many in chaos reigned for several days, the districts have called for regulation of the superior characteristics of the population of human corpses lying in the streets, as well as animal carcasses in cleanup

The road 5-6-meter shell-hole, overturned cars and mangled tanks were fired, the dead horses lying on downtown streets from which the starving people of the right cut of meat
The damage was severe fighting in the zoo also cracked plumbing causing the crocodile frozen in the water of the pool and the lion escaped from its cage several days wandering the underground subway tunnel

Picture

The demolished Lánchid (The Chain bridge) by the retreating german forces and the destroyed Castle of Buda in the back
http://static.origos.hu/s/img/i/1402/20140211budapesti-ostrom-kitoresi-kiserlet4.jpg?w=666&h=444

The British Prime Minister Winston Churhill niece’s daughter also lived through the siege of Budapest. Her greatest sorrow caused by the loss of a small dog, the dog was lucky to end the siege

The protection of the Margaret Island (Margit sziget) on 21 January gave up because the night of the German guards fell asleep and the Danube ice of a platoon of Soviet infantry seeping through the area who immediately started a bridgehead to build, the next day an entire battalion of Soviet forces attacked with mortars and heavy weapons on Margaret Island defenders against
On January 24, 6000 mines and artillery shells per hour struck
January 29, 1945, the German Command ordered the evacuation of Margaret Island

The supply of drinking water is almost completely eliminated because pumping stations majority of the capital was held by the Red Army on the western side lost a few more wells can be used but many boiled from the falling snow and drinking and cooking
The absence of water, many were lice that paraffin disinfected by washing, dressing or it was not enough, the dead are often picked off the bandage and re-used them disinfected

Word was award to all, the University Battalion all members of Lance Corporal promoted from regular, which was in practice after only half a year of military service period is normally possible
And who spent 15 days in combat, at least those nominated for the German “Nahkampfspange” medal, but the siege of the loss of these transfer It has not been completed

Pictures

A hungarian civilian woman feed a SS troop between the fights
http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/45190-8/hungwoman

Civilians cut out a piece of meat from a dead horse
http://fotomuzeum.hu/media/fenykep/kicsi/00470047.jpg

A soldier POW memoirs

"After the rapid fall in captive-keeping process got out of the combat zone and more peaceful place for us. At dusk we were herded in front of a house and slept in the attic.
The next morning, lining up on 6 February adjustments are us, and appeared in a speaker who said that 18 of January 1945 a new pro-Soviet Hungarian government, the ceasefire agreement was signed, so the captured Hungarian soldiers will battle against the German-Hungarian armed forces. Those who do not enter the army taken to the captivity Next to me, my comrades have entered three of them, I decided to be prisoner of war "

Picture

German Hungarian POW column moving in the Széna square
http://budapest-ostroma.hu/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Széna_tér_01-1024x677.jpg

Meanwhile, the Hungarian - German forces retreated to the growing encirclement

Denes Vass the soldier of the University Assault Battalion memoirs

The ammunition and a grenade launcher is the only heavy weapon the wagon when he was suddenly launched into Stalin candle gave us of a strong fire, the crew went to cover carriage left without shelter in the middle of the road
After the enemy fire quiet we started again when a German sergeant in front of the car and P08 pistol at me nailed began to scream that “turn back because there is no license to retreat!”
Rudimentary German knowledge as I told him that we got our orders the evacuation

Probably it would have been shot to death when there is no other way a German comrade and not yelling at him that “You idiot the Russians are just around the corner!”

So in a moment I became the only horse-drawn carriages defender of the Hungarian and German forces, which alone could cover the retreat completely pointless thing
Instead, I set out to push the car and ammunition had progressed or 100 meters when he broke the strap boots
I tried to be connected, progressed during the car when terrible detonation rocked the area, and the fly pressure drop me to the ground and cut into the carriage and my old comrade private old John into pieces"

Meanwhile, the Hungarian - German forces retreated to the growing encirclement

Denes Vass the soldier of the University Assault Battalion memoirs

The ammunition and a grenade launcher is the only heavy weapon the wagon when he was suddenly launched into Stalin candle gave us of a strong fire, the crew went to cover carriage left without shelter in the middle of the road
After the enemy fire quiet we started again when a German sergeant in front of the car and P08 pistol at me nailed began to scream that “turn back because there is no license to retreat!”
Rudimentary German knowledge as I told him that we got our orders the evacuation

Probably it would have been shot to death when there is no other way a German comrade and not yelling at him that “You idiot the Russians are just around the corner!”

So in a moment I became the only horse-drawn carriages defender of the Hungarian and German forces, which alone could cover the retreat completely pointless thing
Instead, I set out to push the car and ammunition had progressed or 100 meters when he broke the strap boots
I tried to be connected, progressed during the car when terrible detonation rocked the area, and the fly pressure drop me to the ground and cut into the carriage and my old comrade private old John into pieces"

Castle crowded field of Hungarian and German forces of supply and ammunition supply situation in terms of the tragic vált.Sem soldiers fighting had not received any food for animals
The German riding horses divisions as windows and doors chewed wood frame, a shot from the carers to free them from suffering and their own horse meat used their diet
Because of the shortage of bread grits held in the capital baked bread, and when it ran out of sawdust and horse chestnuts were

The German army protecting February 1, have the following meanings

“The supply situation is unbearable for the next 5 days per day per person for 5 grams fat, 1 slice of bread and horsemeat are available”

However, the German care insurance 4th German Army Air Wing Degradation has been reinforced with tanks could not solve on Feb. 1st to 2nd, to 2.5 tons of supplies had only been able to throw, and later not much longer

Hitler’s command, dated 27 January, “the defender of the German army must hold Budapest until the german exemption arrive” has been difficult to meet
The 6th SS Panzer Army from the Ardennes moving to Budapest and to fact that Hungary take part in battles, it was more than an illusion

The gas supply on 28th of December , the electric service on 30th of December, the plumbing permanently discontinued on 3rd of January
The Citadel’s defense at the dawn of the last day only 500 people could just 8-10 heavy guns, mortars and cannons and these had more than 200 bullets

According to witnesses, the Citadel defenders are all fallen, German soldiers shaved clean in the best clothes (most of the officers’ white shirt and tie) line of fulfillment and waited to the last bullet fell fighting bravely

February 1945 11 th in the final act came the siege of Budapest, the city’s defense two alternatives to choose:
They surrender to the Russians (which, despite Russian promises certain death would have meant many people) or erupt through the northwest Buda hills to reach their own their positions

Gille SS soldiers failed to break through the Soviet ring is wrapped around the capital
Karl Pfeffer Wildenbruch Hitler several times at the request of either banned the outbreak response
The last night the Germans were handing out awards

There are only 12 Panther tank assault gun is almost the same number, more tanks and other unidentified 50-60 cannon was available on the day of the eruption but these are some of idle and destroyed or were not fuel their roll either due to expected heavy terrain

February 11, 1944, Karl Pfeffer Wildenbruch sent the following message to the army group Balck

[i]1) Reached the end of our ammunition, food ran out
Further defense of our Buda offers only two options for the massacre of capitulation or unprotected unconditional
I reject both options, so I leave my forces Budapest and looking for a new operational area

1. On February 11, the outbreak of the dark occasion. I Szomor recording and Mary among piles
    In cases where inclusion is not possible to advance through the Pilis Mountains
    Please north of the recording Piliszentlélek

2. Signal: Green light twice = own team

3. Forces: Germans 23.900 people (of which 9,600 wounded), Hungarians 20,000 (of which 2,000 wounded), the main civilian 80-100.000[/i]

As it has been said in the message of the radio equipment were destroyed to prevent any action to counter command stopped

The preliminary plans to the right flank of the German 13th Panzer Division, on the left flank of the 8 SS Cavalry Division Florian Geyer had progressed to such units for a few subordinates tanks also
The second wave of 22 to defense the Maria Theresia SS divisions and armored divisions would Ferdherrnhalle together with the remains of the Hungarian troops took place
Third-stage patients and civilians have occurred
The german soldiers tried a graduated hungarian who had good local knowledge on the nearby mountain to each german squads

The Breakout

Every student of the University Assault Battalion have three choices: break out with the german forces to the north west, stay and become a prisoner of war, or change their uniform to civilian clothes (this time their commanders allow this choice also)
Our knowledge, only 32 people from University Assault Battalion have to chosen the breakout from Budapest on the night of February 11, 1945

On February 11, exactly 20:00 pm began the first wave of the outbreak of the Castle of Buda to scars, but already after the first meter massive shelling and mortar fire were given (which even took place on the evening of 22-23 hours)
Almost the entire area in daylight because of the Soviet swam light rockets, the thousands of people trying to reach the mountains towering on each other and completely blocked the exits

The Russians fired every weapon to the rushing mass from rifles submachineguns to tanks and “every shot was a direct hit, the whole square looks like a human meatgrinder” sad a witness

The end of the weight still existed when the Castle was among the first to come back, it’s impossible to get through on the road
The outbreak has been achieved only 15,000 persons have out from the capitol around the near mountains but only 800 - 624 person arrived to the german lines until 16th of february 1945, the loss of human respect and tanks were 80%

Helmut Dörner SS Oberführer the Italian alley (Olasz fasor) tried to burst and Karl Pfeffer Wildenbruch the Devil Ditch tried to get out through an underground trench channel

• Wildenbruch changed into SS generals uniform before the eruption and the Devil Trench to the surface induce caught in a villa in the Buda Russians

• Usdau Lindenau Chief of Staff Colonel was injured of air pressure
    He Devil’s Dich channel also released in the February 12, was captured by the Russian forces

• August Zehender 22 Maria Theresa SS Cavalry Division commander was wounded after an explosion in one of his legs torn, committed suicide

• Joachim Rumohr 8 SS Florian Geyer Division commander was encircled by the Russians in Zugliget area Budapest, and along with three officers committed suicide

• Major General Gerhard Schmidhuber 13 armored grenadier division commander was fatally wounded in the street Radish (Retek)

• Helmut Dörner SS Oberführer if released in the beginning of the Devil ditch canal was Budakeszi road and bled to death before she committed suicide has shot in stomach

• Bartsch German SS Sturmbannführer who fought on Margaret Island (Margit sziget) German Hungarian corps commander was chosen suicide on the night of the outbreak

Memoirs of Gyula Kokovay hungarian army private from the outbreak

February 11, 1945
"This is the day we put in reserve accommodation site managed to find a barber who clipped us and then we were hiding and washed and clean underwear
At half past five we got to dinner, a large portion of cream beansoup
Six hours kkor preparedness alert has been ordered to attack the First Company of the University Battalion towards the Rosehill
Meanwhile, Captain Zsombor two battle groups shared the remaining battalions, German model of 20-30 people (had to be taken into account that the unit will have to adapt to the situation moment by moment)
One group came under the leadership of the hungarian captain other group of the German flag proceed Winter
We stayed in the Hungarian captain
The wounded, the sick and all those who did not wish to take part in an outbreak, were allowed to remain in the Castle, or even changing clothes in civilian clothes
The weapons and ammunition has everything outside the circle shall we left, we move out of the street where Batthány hand grenades and ammunition were distributed panzerfausts
My gear was a hungarian short-barreled submachine gun with, filled full ammo bags, four stielhandgrenades,a bayonet and a FEG 37M pistol

The German group, we started Vogel, a little later we stopped in a doorway
The space is very strong from Széna square sound of the war could be heard, and the soldiers arrived in the I. company, only about 10 people remained alive but he was among those wounded more
Next we went to the street Matra many soldiers crouched fire-protected areas, they did not dare to go
The Széll Kálmán square and the hay was unclear because many of the flares fired up by the Russians and was very strong in the infantry and artillery fire
We stopped we also spoke to the captain Vogel who promised to come with his men

(Horst Vogel lieutenant did not ultimately participated in the outbreak, in civilian clothes and the siege of the war has been rescued from Budapest after the war, many years kept in touch with him endure)

We waited until the dugout prone the lightning rockets light went out and jumped up and running, we stopped in a doorway waiting for the others arrived before 8, the group did not come Vogel
We waited while scattered Germans joined us for a while but they were not men of Vogel
Passing through the alley continued between Italian Tree Alley on the way, we met people who joined us, so soon I was around with 40 peoples"

Pictures

The breakout from the Castle of Budapest (the green arrows mean the hungarian-german troops, the red stars means the soviets)
http://www.hetek.hu/files/images/2010/07/budai_var_kitores.jpg

Pictures

A german “Storch” light plane crashed into a building in Budapest
http://fortepan.444.hu/assets/sites/21/012.jpg

Corpses laying in the streets after the breakout
http://alfahir.hu/sites/default/files/resize/kepek/kep-550x409.jpg

German grave after 70 years in a cemetery in Budapapest (note the STG44 clip)
http://alfahir.hu/sites/default/files/resize/kepek/kepek-550x722.jpg

Bullet holes in the cemetery in Farkasrét Budapest after 70 years
http://alfahir.hu/sites/default/files/cikkfotok/bb_l7375.jpg
http://alfahir.hu/sites/default/files/cikkfotok/bb_l7551.jpg
http://alfahir.hu/sites/default/files/cikkfotok/bb_l7410.jpg

Memoirs of Gyula Kokovay hungarian army private from the outbreak

12th of february 1945
“We are on two in the morning the King Béla road. Here a lot of abandoned cars and cars guns with different types of freight cars from one column we saw a lot of civilians shot to dead”

Later it turned out that these vehicles are fitted with a Soviet troops column which belonged to the soviet crew of them escaped
This civilians erupting between the german-hungarian and the soviet troops and the and died
In the area of the outbreak, hundreds of fallen soldiers selection
Around the Városkút dozens lying dead

For the German soldiers had little chance of survival who surrendered to the Russians dealt little with them: today’s Poet Street 2-4 (Költő utca) site will still vacant plot of 270 German prisoners of war soldiers were executed, while the Cinege road - at the corner of Rose Way (Cinege út - Csipke út) 164 german pow shot dead

“For a long time we went to Bela Kiraly turning off the road when we went to a narrow and steep path to take. When the group began to lighten in a building where we have got a lot of German soldiers and our team remains 8 Winter university rested for a total of about 600 people we were there
When the captain started to look for a senior officer I accompanied him, we found a German Major. After a brief discussion of the whole group went to the Kossuth memorial monument way.Leaving the monument the Russians were under heavy fire us to the civilian buildings in the hillside, we returned fire.
Then the dead and wounded were among the Germans, hungarians remained intact
We’re moving in front of a restaurant where a new outbreak of groups in which they were joined by more senior officers”

Another group led by a member of the outbreak of the Hungarian university Battalion Peter Noel frozen snow slid down from the mountains towards to Budakeszi.
In the dark they found themselves facing a smaller team opened fire and wounded and open fire to each other.
The shoutinbg realize that the other group was Germans continued to work with two groups.
Another team was on its way to face them but they’ve really Russians
Meantime another hungarian group join student Peter Noel’s team in the meantime, and after a hard fight fire swept wooded terrain and the Russians went on the way to Budakeszi
Due to a crash of artillery from air pressure that student Peter Noel tossed into the air and then dropped in the deep snow.
Others believed dead and left him
After some time he recovered, the field was full of dying or already dead German Hungarian and Russian soldiers
Peter Noel managed to pull away in the woods a few wounded and escaped
For assistance was launched and found two German was (one of a very serious condition), they took shelter in a hut
The blood trail the Russians who immediately stabbed the two german with bayonets Peter Noel probably saved his hungarian uniform from death

Memoirs of Gyula Kokovay hungarian army private after the outbreak

12th of february 1945
"After the breakthrough of the Kossuth statue or two hours at a strong pace we marched towards the deep snow in the north, mostly wooded terrain
After dark, around six break held and who had something to eat during the eaten
Then we marched into the night, while the wounded brought us back left
Around midnight they rested between a clearing place woodpiles. Blankets were not so we Hungarians are closely lying next to each other and tried to rest but we warmed each other because it rose from wind and rain, we can only shiver from the cold. After nearly two hours in the rain-soaked clothes snow began to freeze, so we set off again "

Memoirs of Gyula Kokovay hungarian army private after the outbreak, moving to the german lines

February 13, 1945

“Until dawn we advanced further in the clearings of trees when the edge of the forest, the Germans stopped so we can we stopped and did not know what the captain Mr. and led the way: the front, the Germans Senior Flügel Obersturmbannfuehrer the snow lay and shouted that “enough of this whole” “all in vain” and “do not go any further steps” His soldiers stood around helplessly
The hungarian captain told his men to go on what he wants to stay, who wants to come with us, he said the same thing the Germans were Hungarians
Among the few Germans left Flügel, the others were with us over the command of our hungarian captain, officers were not among them
About 400 people we have, the hungarian captain of the reorganized three rounds in a row we were in sight of each other on the forest
About 11 hours in a pine forest heard cheering and shooting strong argument: the sound is going in the direction we found a german army group which was similar in size to ours who had been fighting a Russian machine gun corps
What the Russians attacked flank so strong they retreated during shooting. Several of us were wounded, including a college boy who was then bandaged and continue the march with us
Around noon, arriving in an empty hut in a forest ridge was found next to him was a russian telephone cable, but we don’t cut.
From us a few kilometer a small group tried to break through the Russian lines without succes we saw the binoculars
In front of a driveway in the valley was where Soviet armored cars took to the cavalry. Three armored swerved off the road and began to shoot the hut.
To two hours longer skis Russian troops attacked us first covering the road later on all sides, so we fallong back to the the pine forest
In the afternoon I shot so much that we had to break through ourselves and continue on to the northwest, here the wounded were left behind as well as we could barely drag ourselves because of fatigue and exhausting
At dusk the side of a deep valley we proceeded west with two kilometers to go three shots and the occasional flash of two rockets showed that the western front line near us
It was dark cloudy sky just a few stars twinkled. We waited until prone to flare and went out but this time they noticed us and mortars started to shoot at us, when we started out attack
After a few hundred meters, we received strong infantry and machine gun fire on a number of sites but we not see anything only the muzzle flashes and the Stalin’s candles red lights, we could only shoot back towards the muzzle”

Memoirs of Gyula Kokovay hungarian army private after the outbreak, moving to the german lines

February 13, 1945
“We wanted to be fit again but failed to break through the red light, many dead and wounded were seen floundering in the snow, among the dead was the captain also shot in the head for it!
The two of us is one of my comrades in the strong fire leaping tried to crawl towards the southwest of the illuminated area to get out successfully, more people also did the same thing and we were about a platoon of people have, we hungarians were five of us and a couple of university students, the others were all germans
They were exhausted but the Germans had a common opinion on the need to go on the fronts simultaneously if we can get through to ours
More and more dense fog arrived, we were in silence for a long time along the river. We once heard speaking Russian on the other side of the river by a Russian patrol passed, we went on around midnight and then rested on the snow”