The First Royal Hungarian University Assault Battalion in the siege of Budapest

Memoirs of Gyula Kokovay hungarian army private after the outbreak, moving to the german lines

14th of 1945

"Maybe we rested for an hour when the snow crunching and german speech heard through the fog.
We spoke to them, they are also the remains of our troops but they were a lot more people, including hungarians, we went on together
The fog slowly lifted to the sky cleared, our left we saw a village also heard the barking of dogs, we were slightly hilly countryside, occasionally rising missiles showed how close we are to the front
At dawn we reached the edge of a forest and saw a light flickering
Soon we saw took shelter in the woods, two german went ahead and see what it is the a light
A short time later they returned, and was told that a lone house stands guard in front of a Russian.
After a brief discussion we started to quietly approaching and if the guard sees you invade the house
It is 40-50 meters when we were in the Russian guard spotted us and ran into the house screamed. By the time we got to the back door they fled. We found some broken up by Russian and ate bread

After further discussion, we went to a cliff. The lieutenant told us not to hurry up and go to the end of the group so it is safer there
I stayed away from continues, my fellow who went back I never saw him again after
When he was lightening after 500-600 meters, gun fire greeted us. I wanted to return fire but my submachine gun broke down because there was no time to see what was wrong with it, so I threw on my back while running on the strap and waist belt buckle under the bayonet tucked to be at hand
The Russians are near the score by throwing hand grenades among us, but I fell because a grenade drop my in the head
I noticed that the shells fell into the snow in front of me so I stayed lying down until exploded.
The explosion filled my eyes and mouth filled with snow and also threw my cap flew off my head.
I got up and ran after the others who were on the Russian reached for cover
Eight to ten paces in front of me came forward with a Russian with a rifle caught me from behind a tree: I heard clearly, as the rifle cliked in but did not fire, this raised was over his head to hit me with the rifle but he was late because I was with all my strength he ran the bayonet into his side stabbed
Hunched solution was reached him and the others who have already reached the Russian shelters if absorbed through the edge of the forest"

Memoirs of Gyula Kokovay hungarian army private after the outbreak, moving to the german lines

14th of 1945

"The forest at the edge of both hard shot from the side, should go ahead on a snowy slope plain looking in the distance, a line of trees
It is strongly scattered started bounding towards the alley hoping there are ours
About half a kilometer running bounding hiding reached the tree line in the trench and hid behind it for cover
As I lay panting heavily and I could hear German speech watercourse
Looking around I could see the water flowing on both sides, and I was lying on a snow-covered hill above the creek
8-10 meters away from me three German soldiers lay under cover, while two comrades arrived too
The Germans have said that where we come from, and they have shown that we should go further. I leaned into the stream to drink from it, for the Germans threw a bottle over to drink from a black coffee with rum in it, given the empty bottle back
More Starting from one of my comrades jumped out first with cover but after just 10 steps hes falling and when I got there he had been dead, have a bullet in his neck
Another of my comrades went to the trench on a tree-lined area while price From there it rested more than Germans and a Hungarian sergeant went on a corn field, and we can move it upright without risk
We were very tired and we thought it was never going to end for us and finally the corn harvested corn in a cone behind us cried a harvested field, “Halt!”
The next moment, three Germans ran in front of us, shook our hands slapped on the shoulder and almost took us to our house at the bottom of a nearby village where a German lieutenant immediately basement of a house, accompanied us to relax about
In the basement of the house owners offered us sheep gulasch but we could hardly eat after three days of fasting and fatigue
This village was called Mány
Around eleven o’clock the German lieutenant said that a vehicle take us armored car into an all-terrain reconnaissance car they put the wounded, and we have three of the top we climbed up the machine gun tube clinging traveled Tarján where the wounded were unloaded, we’ll give tonight truck three lunches Tata’s Old Town entered the Hungarian headquarters "

Pictures and map

The Heroes’ Monument in the village of Mány, Hungary
http://www.hadaprodiskola.hu/2007/images/megem/1.jpg

The title of the monument
http://www.hadaprodiskola.hu/2007/images/megem/2.jpg
(translation:Budapest defenders in memory of those who defended 108 days declared by the Germans fortress Hungarian capital)

The position of the village of Mány on the map of Hungary
https://www.google.hu/maps/place/Mány/@47.5348189,18.6684579,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x476a6d7218fdc38b:0x400c4290c1e3c30

The Buda forests for days continued to chase after the German and Hungarian soldiers. According to witnesses, the recollections of two soldiers wandering in the woods three days later, the symptoms started to show signs of insanity because of thirst, hunger and exhaustion
The forested mountainous terrain in the area have lost their ability, who had gone to bed and stayed there in the snow

The German Ernst Schweitzer and three lieutenant remembered that he was one of the last people crossed over after more than a week of wandering
When he saw nine days after their departure on 20 February Esztergom has been barely able to walk, "The dawn light a few hundred meters we see a city map inserted during the day before, according to Esztergom.Tiz volt.A still in German hands and feet were near the elbow sliding felé.Az houses one of the soldiers will go ahead and we are pleased to be the first building are housed German soldiers. It worked! "

The majority of German soldiers even if he could chose a broken leg in the outbreak.
Around 5000 an estimated number of soldiers who were wounded as straw bags lying on the waiting room underground tunnel
About 800 wounded German soldiers who died on February 18 due to a raging fire at the castle, the Russians set fire to them or flamethrower or grenades thrown among the wounded

The February 11 has 43900-strong hungarian-german army protecting only 2% reached the German lines, 44% of participants in an outbreak, 19,000 persons died

According to the data of the number of Red Army and fell during the siege of Budapest outbursts 80,000 soldiers dead and 250,000 wounded Russian soldiers Other losses 1,800 tanks, 4,000 anti tank cannons, 300 aircraft, 140,000 small arms

Breakout from the Rose Hill (Rózsadomb)

Memoirs from István Molnár University Assault Battalion student

11 February 1945

“I were resting in houses located in various
At night, we got to 11 hours of notification, that the outbreak started at midnight and attempt to break the Margaret Boulevard
At 11 towards the wall carefully going forward Margaret arrived and there is a boulevard running across the ditch roadblock tried to pick up the position, while the Germans behind us watching the reaction of the Russians
Some even settled in the ditch when mine were hit, we have not started toward the ditch and fall back a doorway (from the hay field strength could be heard sounds of gunfire and explosions)
The fellow got shrapnel in his leg and screaming, hog help him pull out of the ditch because I could not stand to get up
I managed to not highlight the ditch and pulled the nearest doorway, luckily there was the Swedish Red Cross hospital, so the fellow was (later we met at the university after the war) supply immediately
After the break we returned to the unsuccessful round included new instructions and waited”

February 12, 1945

"At dawn to about 03:00 hours I received notification of the outbreak has been hurt the Hay square, and we immediately headed for the hay to map about 10 students
The Siege street estuary fired Russian and German tanks were burning next to each other very much dead lay everywhere, blood smell was in the air

It was apparent that the Germans (and presumably also Hungarians) in the first wave of breakout tanks entourage then moved on to the Italian Alley successfully pierced
The nightingale and the engine is Batthányi German tanks and armored vehicles were involved ready to go
Then gently led by German officers left for the Italian alley
The first wave of massive firepower to break heads could do it because we got to the road that Felvinci without a single shot!
By now it was early morning

The first Russian machine gun fire got there and shot one of the leading German officers on the road Felvinci
Hundreds of submachine guns fired back building so the potential of the Russian machine gun was silent

On 12 February of 1945, early in the afternoon we reached the lookout Arpad, sporadic gunfire was
In the course of the rest, other than that of the approximately 13 German soldiers took part in the Hungarian capital near me in the outbreak, but the exact number could not be established because of the concealment
The Germans had a winter camouflage dress and canned meat with hungry Hungarians we did it through the outbreak of thirst"

February 12, 1945

"Late at night we left unchanged by the well-trained and well-informed leadership of German officers, covered with a snow-clearing we were next to a forest, well you could see approximately 4km in length straight 4-5000 troops advanced on the fly
Directly at the foot of the peak of a Russian machine gun began firing at us again, but after we cast by the hundreds of machine gun shots in the firing ceased "

February 14th, 1945

"At dawn crept through the calcareous mountains we approached in a farm field under Zsámbék wire fences without a shootout
Zsambek from the Russians spotted us and started the shooting: first and later started a small armored vehicles also fired small arms at us
A small ditch ran side of the field partial protection we crawled in and started crawling towards the Constitution

Then Statute about the direction of (the waiting Germans broke out groups who have been around 2 km away) came under gunfire on us attacking Russians
The Germans were not sustained gunfire so the Russians were closed around us in the ditch
As anti tank weapons so we did not have all, and the armor in the Russian infantry and the tanks are all near and close us and so the only way was to surrender
The time was about morning

The first german surrender giving the German soldier was shot from behind by a German officer, and the officer was shot down by the Russians
The weapons surrendered, leaving the ditch and then turned out to be one of only 50 people, I was alone hungarian the others all germans
Later, from Kiskunfélegyháza take me trough Romania to the Sovjet union taken as prisoners of war "

Pictures

The cover of the Münchner Illustrierte Presse 13rd of february 1945
https://kuruc.info/galeriaN/egyeb/budapestiharcok1945febr01.jpg

Gyula Elischer recollection of the reality of war, and will then return the access arrangements escape from captivity 1945

As previously mentioned under the protection of the wounded Elischer Gyula Rosehill while the German soldiers deposed before the outbreak
Left lung had to be remote, a nursing home was taken prisoner but given the fact that the party lacked lungs set free from the POW camp, and then it became a prisoner of war but escaped with two mates

“I got my paper on which the dismissal of which I understood only a few words were written because the entire Russian
When asked where I lived then I said that is because the city of Sopron near the Austrian border, and I knew then that I wanted to run away to the west
After a few minutes at the gate I did not have to sign, and then the guard - made “davaj! davaj!” my journey injunction
Along with two prisoners freed me well, they were both in uniform without insignia, one with the other arm elbow on one leg missing
I wore an officer’s uniform was a summer which also had no insignia
It was a very hot day and we tried to quickly move away from the POW camp but unfortunately this is half my lung and the other half of my comrades very hard to move with one leg”
The streets were empty, and the Communist posters were everywhere which really hurt us
An old woman invited us in and offered us food while we noticed that sometimes a train going through the town, so we decided that we could go by train

Gyula Elischer recollection of the reality of war, and will then return the access arrangements escape from captivity 1945

“It was when we sat down at the train station in broad daylight on the platform was full of people who were sitting in the basket next to their luggage and waiting for the train
A short time later a train arrived from Budapest, the Hungarian assembly was filled with prisoners who looked sadly out the window
The first wagon jumped a few Russian soldiers and then panic because everyone knew at the station if you do not have the prescribed number of prisoners of war, the Russians immediately surfacing all the POW train civilians as “prisoners of war”
Empty of people have left their luggage at all, just we stayed at the station in the station’s three pillanatokonn
A Russian soldier came up to us, one of my comrades thought he was dismissing paper of the show if it will be released but the Russian can not even read the paper but tore it up and threw at us and shouted at us as one of the wagon bags
Shortly afterwards the train pulled out, and we could just focus immediately to escape
The car had been oiled barrels of oil can be stored for the same fully penetrated the interior of the wagon
One of my comrades and wearing boots with metal heels kicked the boards that are moved
The other comrades who had sat across from us and gave it all played with his pipe, tobacco was not in but he continued to set fires to clear
Little has been taken away from him struggle at the cost of the match but later calmed down and we discussed how we are going to burn a hole in the floor
As we started to reject it burned the floor and looked through the hole, something that is at the bottom of the train ironwork small pieces
The small fire did terrible smoke, so when the train stopped somewhere you had said we
We calculated how much would burn out and kick the boards that a man wearing go out and we discussed the order in which we climb out of the bottom of the wagon
Long hours passed in the night and it seemed to be abandoned our plan but then the wheels have started and stopped the train grate
Quickly we all climbed out of the hole and started the assembly and two red lights at the end of the train and disappeared was getting smaller”

“We looked around we saw a dense forest on both sides
I knew that first we have to go south, then west, a few hundred yards to the dense forest and rested in a clearing and then fell asleep
The sun was high when we woke up hungry and thirsty and was full of dirt and oil on your skin and clothes too
Little is our progress when we reached a small stream which was a beautiful clear water, we drank out of it washed our hands and our faces in it
More and more, we stopped when we found edible berries but this time there were more than one day, that we did not eat anything
One of my comrades went to look around for a long time, and all stayed away, I started to worry that we may be with her when we heard strange footsteps: as soon as we saw the comrades led a cow behind
He sat down and said that in the vicinity and found a burned-out house in the vicinity of a cow grazing has brought, it has brought a carafe of the house
We managed milked the cow was fun and had already started on the creek, where at times we stopped to rest and drink (the cows drank from the stream)
The first week we spent close to the edge of the forest from which we could see the next mountain range that was completely flat and barren, I think it must have been a thousand years of Hungarian border
I suspected that somewhere close to the fortified section of what we have built and I was hoping to find his house in the middle-aged farmer who was the helper and will have the chance to get re-Hungarian soil, the wall was about 15 kilometers targeted
I knew that compared how far the train was built for sine, industrial jobs and so I was able to orient myself
In the evening, we will slow down because the cow and we were thirsty and went back to the creek to drink
Since we could not sleep and so on we proceeded, we found footprints
Sometime in the afternoon found ourselves in a meadow where a few horses that had been in the village for myself what I targeted
I went alone to the village to look for the master’s house with whom he worked with at the time, until a fellow of the cows stayed on the meadow”

“I went to the village and knocked on the door of one house and a little girl opened the door and spoke Ukrainian, and then the grandmother who was recognized because he was the leader’s wife
“Lieutenant,” exclaimed then brought a chair to sit
After a few minutes, I asked if there are Russians in the area but it was not
We went out into the back garden where there were fruit trees, apple picking up a recall and gave me this I knew it was going to help
The sun began to go down when he arrived at the man he’s met and repeated that “Lieutenant!” “Lieutenant!”
Then we went back to the house also has the comrades, they offered us brandy is not what we adopted, we ate some bread, eggs, cheese and drank, while we told them that we were here
The cow also brought him into the house and they are given, which delighted
That night we slept there in the house
In the morning we received some rice and then returned to your’ve tried to wash our clothes but without much success
Came in with a young girl at breakfast who caught a baby in her arms, I got to know he was acquitted due to absence from work during pregnancy
In our host went to the priest to ask him for advice, the priest advised him to take us to the nearest Hungarian village”

Elischer Gyula eventually came home successfully followed by Austria, Germany and Denmark and he managed to establish himself in Australia

Pictures

A memorial plaque in the courtyard of the University Battalion in memory of soldiers killed in action
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/Egyetemi_rohamzászlóalj_hősi_halottainak_emléktáblája.jpg

On 27 September 1996 the Military Museum inaugurated a memorial plaque in the courtyard of the University Battalion in memory of soldiers killed in action

[Link](a memorial plaque in the courtyard of the University Battalion in memory of soldiers killed in action)

1997 February 14, the anniversary of the outbreak of Budapest and the fall before the plaque commemorating Sándor Kiss, the University of Battalion First Company former commander with the words in memory of the heroic battalion for the fallen:
[i]
“Comrades!
We came to remember our struggle that has been lost and honor the heroic dead, carry the head in front, who lives in the most -fiatal - sacrifice for the homeland, our capitol
Already the third week straight out of the fight when one of you relieving. I broke away from my flying unit, and you did it just takes one commander of the Battalion. And I welcomed me and stay with you. I loved you and I have not forsaken you never.
Those of us who survived due to strange gods and fate destined to fight and belief we now commemorate the heroic dead once the status.
They say you have students peacefully going to west of here and they’ve kept more choice the fight. Why?
In those days holidays - when the country’s territorial gains in moments of heart was beating together with the army - you were not even part of you. In the first months and years of the war, nor did it include the military reports …
After a breakaway attempt failed miserably when it was extreme peril of the country, the army’s faith and trust is broken. Believe the voice of those that endure, we win!
No you not believe you had nothing to anybody and did not believe in anything anymore. But they called you and you had to make a decision
Half the country escaping. A revenge, robbery, violence incited bandit horde flooded most of the country and to billow approached the capital’s destroying everything that was holy to us …
The “liberation” wailing survivors and to fear, the fear was the strongest voice could not be plugged into a tab on the front and with which we could not and we did not want to cooperate It was that final determination elkeseredésünkben weapon in our hands to protect our loved ones from the horrors
Therefore you voluntarily undertaken to fight. We who have survived all this - now we remember and recall
I have come to do heroic faith heroic stand
I saw you in grenade fire, in the firefight, close combat is still confronting the enemy with flamethrowers and also saw the final desperate breakout assault time. I come from the same grenade got two silanes which took his young college student rushing past me soldier’s life
It had no part of you and decorations or celebrations. Only this small board you had to keep in the memory
Respect for the memory of those who have been placed and for those who will keep this table
I pray the same words as before in 1992. “Heroes corridor” in the Ludovica Air Academy, who died grade fellow plaque”

“God of the Hungarians!
Give it to be quite a heroic martyr and cadavers from
Bless the Hungarians! That neither the enemy nor the Hungarian to hungarian do not attack ever again!”[/i]

Sandor Kiss
Former Hungarian royal flight lieutenant, a retired lieutenant colonel
The siege of Budapest in the second half of the first century of the University Battalion commander