The Horten flying wings.

The V3 was sent to the United States by ship, along with other captured aircraft, and finally ended up in the H. H. “Hap” Arnold collection of the Air Force Technical Museum. The all-wing aircraft was to have been brought to flying status at Park Ridge, Illinois, but budget cuts in the late forties and early fifties brought these plans to an end. The V3 was handed over to the present-day National Air and Space Museum (NASM) in Washington D.C.

I just wondering, why doesnt the USAAF adopt nurflugel designs? They have the B-2 and F117(but thats just kind-of) Russia has the Mig skat but thats still prototype.

Maj Schmidt wrote: “I just wondering, why doesnt the USAAF adopt nurflugel designs? They have the B-2 and F117(but thats just kind-of) Russia has the Mig skat but thats still prototype.”

The short answer is it did, and technically the US designes preceded the Horten/Luftwaffe design.

I wasted a bunch of time looking for a old magazine artical of the 1970s. Heres a series of websites, severalof wich seem to have been drawn straight from that artical.

Note that the Northrup version reaches back to the 1920s, and his pure wing design was on paper in the 1930s. None of this has been classified & there have been many magazine articals on it since I was a teenager, maybe even earlier. But, folks act like they have never heard of Northrups designs…

the first Northrop flying wing
Noted f or its multi-cellular construction, Northrop’s 1929 Flying wing, with its twin booms and tail structure

www.century-of-flight.net/Aviation%20history/flying%20wings/northrop.htm - 26k -

Your Zagi Flying Wing History
Jack Northrop and the Flying Wing, A History of Jack Northrop’s Visionary Aircraft …

www.yourzagi.com/history.htm - 39k - Cached - Similar pages

Clipped Wings: The Death of Jack Northrop’s Flying Wing Bombers
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Northrop Flying Wing bombers, canceled by the Air Force more than 50 years .
www.dau.mil/pubs/arq/2001arq/Baker.pdf

Northrop’s flying-wing airliner
As early as 1948, Jack Northrop hoped to adapt his Flying Wing bomber as the world’s sleekest airliner.

www.warbirdforum.com/paxwing.htm - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

Northrop flying wing bombers
this is a rare photo of nine Northrop Flying Wing Bombers.

www.century-of-flight.freeola.com/Aviation%20history/flying%20wings/Northrop%20bombers.htm - 51k

The last of Jack Northrop’s flying wings, the YRB-9A, flew in 1951.

www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Aerospace/Northrop_modern/Aero41.htm - 23k -

I mean modern designs…

Those web sites dont go into a lot of depth, but if you read through carefully you will see some hints. One concerned a growing problem with stability, which re emerged in the F117 & B2 design. Another connects to the prototypes that were contemporaty to the YB49. The B47 & B52 are refered to directly, tho the specifications for more advanced supersonic bombers such as the eventual B58 should be considered.

Note that the B2 design has its roots in the early 1970s. Barely a twenty year gap between the end of the YB49 the earlest know date of the B2 specs known to me. And, keep in mind I dont know what other secret research & specs or test models there may have been between 1955 & 1975.

I think the experience of the B-35/B-49 meant that the subject of flying wings lay dormant until a time when computer assisted stabilty was becoming feasible. I haven´t heard of any serious wing projects before the B-2 and the Grumman A-12 Avenger II (carrier borne stealth attack aircraft, cancelled when the prototype was under construction in 1991).

Now there´s the Boeing X-45 and Northrop Grumman X-47 (both UCAV´s)

One other reason for neglect of this concept occurs to me. Several people have described the USAF doctrine for aircraft procurement in the 1950s & 1960s as "Higher, Faster, Farther. the money went to prototypes which met all three of those specifications, with ‘Faster’ being the number one item. designs that did not meet all three saw a lot less money budgeted.

While the Northrop wing designs could theoreticaly aspire to farther, higher and faster were clearly taken by the big engined supersonic designs. Hence production of the B58 was authorized and the YB49 not.

The Ho-229 did not have any of the problems the Northrop flying wings had. She just needed better engines. The B-2 was based on some aspects of the Ho-229 when they went to have a look at the aircraft at the museum. I think a all wing fighter is great, less fuel, more speed and can be made to be stealth. You should not think to big with all wing aircraft, the bigger you go the tougher it gets to handle it.

Just in case you think the Horten brothers were the only ones experimenting with flying wings :wink:

http://www.jaapteeuwen.com/ww2aircraft/html%20pages/armstrong%20whitworth%20aw52G.htm

http://www.jaapteeuwen.com/ww2aircraft/html%20pages/GENERAL%20AIRCRAFT%20GAL56.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_YB-35

I know mate, but the Horten brothers were the most successful when it came to a all wing aircraft during WW2.