The Russo-Finnish War

Those lands were part of Ukrain and White Russia, which in its turn were part of USSR.
What happened was just as good as what Finland did. USSR was formaly an agressor in 1939 in Poland and Finland so was Finland in 1941.

At least we agree that people in Leningrad were not considered to get annihilated along with their city.

Right. They did not want to annihilate the people for the sake of it. It is not a Jewinsh Holocaust. Though those people were an obstacle on the way to the war aim and as such were expandable.

Yes. In the most dire stage of the battle of Tali-Ihantala, Ryti manouvered to get weapons from Germany and at the same time have an option for peace. these kinds of political manouvering would have taken place should both sides really want and need peace.

Sweet documents! Exellent finding!
Mind if I check what was the reason little later, or was there any reason at all? Because of the few reasons I can think of… one is the desperate grain shortage which Finns suffered in 1941 which Germany promised to ease should we continue war against SU, thus tieing up menpower and material, and possibly cut the Murmansk railway.

Here is the specific story about a peace proposal to Finland in the begining of August 1941. Finland to my knowledge did not even want to explore it. There were no any “manouvering”. The answer was given on 31 of August that “this can not be concidered ar a peace proposal”.
You are trying to tell us that it is because Finland was dependant on the German food supply. But there is an opinion that it also Guderian tanks rushing to Moscow that “convinsed” Finninsh goverment to bet on Germany.

What do you say?

It’s not correct.
Moscow treaty 1940.

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Московский_мирный_договор_с_Финляндией_(1940)

В результате подписания договора в составе СССР оказалась бо́льшая часть территорий Карелии, возвращённых России после завершившего Северную войну Ништадтского мира 1721 года и находившихся в составе России до передачи в 1811 году Выборгской губернии в состав Финляндии

The Lands of Eastern Karelia were Russian between the 1721 when Peter 1 had returned back Karelia after the victory over Sweden till the 1811 when Alexander 1 joined the
Russian Karelia lands to the finnish principality.
Besides after the finnish agression ( so called “Finnish voluntary expedition”)of 1920 they also stealed the part of former russian territory of Eastern Karelia.
The Finnish-Russian border was decided in the Treaty of Tartu. Petsamo (in red) became Finnish, whilst Repola and Porajärvi (green) were handed back to Soviet Russia.
After that insolent attack - the Russia lost Petsamo as exchange for Eastern Karelia lands
Repola and Porayarvi cuptured by finns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tartu_(Russian–Finnish)
The treaty confirmed that the Finnish-Soviet border would follow the old border between the autonomous Grand Duchy of Finland and Imperial Russia. Finland additionally received Petsamo, with its ice-free harbour on the Arctic Ocean Finland also agreed to leave the joined and then occupied areas of Repola (joined to Finland during the Viena expedition) and Porajarvi (joined during the Aunus expedition) in Russian East Karelia

So this is the very questions -who did steal the land of Karelia.

You really can’t see the difference? That’s odd.

¤Finnish tribes were born out of three waves of migration. The Häme Kindom, hunderd counties and Karelian lands were born, each with slight differences. Later Karelians and Häme folk mixed in the borderlines as Savo-folk and Kuusamo had a matriarkal kindom, and Tornio-River held the Pirkka-men. Many of the Eastern tribes remained isolated, just as they themselves wanted.
Novgorod expanded and soon claimed dominance over Inkeri, and formed alliance with Karelians. Together they marauded Häme, who marauded back.
Sweden finally manages to take control in “East-land” and uses Finns as a buffer-zone against Russo.
Swedes uses Finns as soldiers, exploited the people and lands. Countless wars.
Tsars Russia is first able to claim Karelia, and later the entire Finland, largerly due to the Swedish reluctance to shed their blood. -All of Finland comes under the rule of the Tsar, and it becomes `Autonomous Grand Dutchy of Finland.´ Under direct Tsars rule, but we have our own Senate and run matters ourself.
Finns are tested for their loyalty only once, in Crimean war. They exell.
As Tsars Russia falls, Finns take the road of Independence and fight a bitter civil war which shapes the nation into a republic with great equality. Reds lose but most of their thesis are actually taken into use.
Soviet Union is born and they begin their expansion. Through force they are able to forge SU into a functional nation. Soviets and Germans make a pact of how to divide nations, as both are really getting ready to fight eachothers.
Soviets annex nation after nation, but Finns refuse all demands.
After many years of war, Finns lose territorires, but keep their independence.¤

Long writing, but made to illustrate that we did not pop into the situation we were in in the Wars. Many historical factors made us wage war.
And these lands had been ours quite a long time, with no Russian populance.

Right. They did not want to annihilate the people for the sake of it. It is not a Jewinsh Holocaust. Though those people were an obstacle on the way to the war aim and as such were expandable.
Hmh. First off, lets see the Soviet excuse for Winter War. Leningrad.
I understood that Svinhuvud proposed to destroy the very reason to have demands over our sovreign territory. And Svinhuvud did not say that he wanted to kill any of them, he talked about having them moved.

Here is the specific story about a peace proposal to Finland in the begining of August 1941. Finland to my knowledge did not even want to explore it. There were no any “manouvering”. The answer was given on 31 of August that “this can not be concidered ar a peace proposal”.
I thought this through as I was walking my dogs, (for some reason, mind works well when moving in the woods) and I can offer Finnish view on the matter.
We did not trust the Soviets.
Imagine that we would have made peace. THen Germany would have stopped grain shipments and the only side willing to sell any war-material(they sold us captured material, even Soviet ones)would have been gone.
Which would have meant that after severe famine, we would be in dire state and with little material and available manpower to repell next Soviet Invasion, which I am sure would have come.
Worst yet, Germans themselves might have invaded us.
-As I said, it was all political manouvers.(which apparently worked, we lived through)

You are trying to tell us that it is because Finland was dependant on the German food supply. But there is an opinion that it also Guderian tanks rushing to Moscow that “convinsed” Finninsh goverment to bet on Germany.
I have understood that Mannerheim is rather respected figure in St.Petersburg, and that there are several Russian writings about him and his war-time diaries? (I am not sure, though). You could see his opinion from those?
Because he did not see matters as you described. He used to be a Russian officer, he knew you.
Germans didn’t have any saying on how Finnish Goverment worked. Not even Mannerheim did.

These sites are worth visiting. They tell the Stories about `Pearl of the Skies´ quite well, in english.
Thanks for putting them up here.

Why is it odd?
Of course there are differneces as there were different circumstances in the reunification of West Ukrain and Belorussia to USSR and Finnish actions in 1941.
But the common thing is that both USSR and Finland signed a peace threaty and then broke it in order to improve their position with regard to country’s international security.
As I know both USSR and Finland were planning the military actions against the opponent in advance, prior to the begining of the conflict.
So what is the deal? Both were agressors. USSR in 1939. Finland in 1941.

¤Finnish tribes were born out of …
… keep their independence.¤

Long writing, but made to illustrate that we did not pop into the situation we were in in the Wars. Many historical factors made us wage war.
And these lands had been ours quite a long time, with no Russian populance.

Those land do not have to have specificaly Russian ethnic people living there. Russia as you know is not settled by exclusively Russians. The same goes for Finland - there are other ethnoces present too. So this is of a secondary importance.
As for Karelia, I am not an expert at all, but I am looking right now into the book “Finland’s fight for independance. 1939 - 1942” (it was printed in Copenhagen in 1942) and seeing the maps. The area roughy equal to North Karelia, Ladoga Karelia and part of the Karelian isthmus were belonging to Russ up until the peace at Stolbova in 1617. After it was taken by the Swedish crown until the Nystad agreement in 1721. By the way, according to the Nystad agrement article 5, Peter I paid 2 million thalers for the acquired lands (including Karelian isthmus with Viborg fortress). In 1743 at Åbo, after Swedish revanchist war against Russia, the border was moved a bit further to the west of Viborg.

But thank you for the historical overview.
Fennica, I am not saying that Finns are exeptionally bloodthirsty or such. So take it easy. Both sides were trying to watch after their own interest and security. A “normal” historical process. History is full of mutual offences so that it is difficult to find who started the trouble in the first place.

Hmh. First off, lets see the Soviet excuse for Winter War. Leningrad.
I understood that Svinhuvud proposed to destroy the very reason to have demands over our sovreign territory. And Svinhuvud did not say that he wanted to kill any of them, he talked about having them moved.
Right, he did not say he wanted to kill them. He said that they should be relocated and the town demolished to the ground.
As we understand in a war to reach the objective of demolishing the town you need to kill many people including the ones that still remain in the very town of your goal. The survived ones would be resettled somewhere. So how many would have to die in the process? It is pure progmatism, not a Holocaust.
Again, as I know the Finnish plan for future border was by Neva river.

I thought this through as I was walking my dogs, (for some reason, mind works well when moving in the woods) and I can offer Finnish view on the matter.
We did not trust the Soviets.
Imagine that we would have made peace. THen Germany would have stopped grain shipments and the only side willing to sell any war-material(they sold us captured material, even Soviet ones)would have been gone.
Which would have meant that after severe famine, we would be in dire state and with little material and available manpower to repell next Soviet Invasion, which I am sure would have come.
Worst yet, Germans themselves might have invaded us.
-As I said, it was all political manouvers.(which apparently worked, we lived through)
As we can establish Finland did have a choise to strike a peace deal with USSR (and England as well for that matter).
Finland bet og Germany instead. I am sure that Finnish goverment had it’s own reasons. And they pragmaticaly chose what was best for Finland. Fair enough! But lets face it it was done not out of love for humankind, but out of intrests of Finland. So there were alterenatives to waging the war against USSR. Unfortunately we will never find tham out as Finnish goverment did not even want to engage in dialog.

Germans didn’t have any saying on how Finnish Goverment worked. Not even Mannerheim did.

Well, German did have some influance on the Finnish goverment. Like forexample their informed Germans right away about the peace proposal. There were other examples of coordination and cooperation.
And if you say that Finland was so dependant on the German food supply and was affraid of German occupation (reasonably, BTW) then here you are the way Germans had saying on how Finnish goverment should work.

Usually the two of have similar opinions, despite the opposing view, and understand the opposing view.
For me, it is hard to understand that why claming back stolen lands is similar to SU stealing the land using force.
And SU have never owned that land.

Of course there are differneces as there were different circumstances in the reunification of West Ukrain and Belorussia to USSR and Finnish actions in 1941.
But the common thing is that both USSR and Finland signed a peace threaty and then broke it in order to improve their position with regard to country’s international security.
Again, I agree.

As I know both USSR and Finland were planning the military actions against the opponent in advance, prior to the begining of the conflict.
So what is the deal? Both were agressors. USSR in 1939. Finland in 1941.
Finland wanted back stolen land, and the window of opportunity was the German invasion. Aggression is a direct result of the actions of SU.
And the peace between the two wars was a hazy one. Finns had Soviet troops going through its territories into Hanko naval base(the one near every location in Southern Finland), while German troops were moving in the Northern parts.
Soviets saw that they had a right to tell Finnish political parties what to do, and tell Finns what kind of a goverment to form etc. So no pure good will there either.
Finns were holding a huge chip against the Soviets because of the Winter War, and anticipated a new war where Soviets were to finish what they had attempted then. That is a good reason to be eager to attack once Soviet bombers had assaulted Finnish towns.

Those land do not have to have specificaly Russian ethnic people living there. Russia as you know is not settled by exclusively Russians. The same goes for Finland - there are other ethnoces present too. So this is of a secondary importance.
Not here, there isn’t. We are all Finnos, from four tribes. Swedes kinship is mere 5%, and that in the coastal area only.
Though I’d like to know more about Novgorod. There is fairly little informatino about those people alltogether.
Do they see themselves as kin to Moscowians or has the kins mixed up too much in the course of history?

As for Karelia, I am not an expert at all, but I am looking right now into the book “Finland’s fight for independance. 1939 - 1942” (it was printed in Copenhagen in 1942) and seeing the maps. The area roughy equal to North Karelia, Ladoga Karelia and part of the Karelian isthmus were belonging to Russ up until the peace at Stolbova in 1617. After it was taken by the Swedish crown until the Nystad agreement in 1721.
Jup, the Eastern tribes were pretty much Allies to Novgorodian due to the relative aggression of Häme kindom, and then Swedes. NorthEastern were living so far away, that they had no importance to the disputes back in the medieval era.
Karelians were split then, and after that the border became “stiff”. All because of power-struggle of religions.

By the way, according to the Nystad agrement article 5, Peter I paid 2 million thalers for the acquired lands (including Karelian isthmus with Viborg fortress). In 1743 at Åbo, after Swedish revanchist war against Russia, the border was moved a bit further to the west of Viborg.
In 1743 you say? That is when there was yet another war between Swedes and Russians. Here, it’s called “little hate”, because of the occupation.(“Big hate” was twenty years before, and during that period of time, Russians destroyed every fort they found in Finland. Only the few main castles remained.)

But thank you for the historical overview.
Fennica, I am not saying that Finns are exeptionally bloodthirsty or such. So take it easy. Both sides were trying to watch after their own interest and security. A “normal” historical process. History is full of mutual offences so that it is difficult to find who started the trouble in the first place.
Well, Häme and Karelia fought, Novgorod and Swedes did, Russians and Swedes did, SU and Finns did. It seems the East and West does that throughout history.

Right, he did not say he wanted to kill them. He said that they should be relocated and the town demolished to the ground.
Understandable considering the hatred fueled by the Winter War.
I’d imagine this kind of thinking was partially born from the Soviet rhetoric, where they said that Finland had always been part of Russia, and how Viipuri was an ancient Russian town etc.

As we understand in a war to reach the objective of demolishing the town you need to kill many people including the ones that still remain in the very town of your goal. The survived ones would be resettled somewhere. So how many would have to die in the process? It is pure progmatism, not a Holocaust.
Again, as I know the Finnish plan for future border was by Neva river.
The Neva matter is actually never referred here. Not in history books, not in university level history.
I’d say that those ideas were spawned during the German assaults, where it seemed that Soviets were losing everything.
I don’t know how Svinhuvud hoped to manage such a task, but it is not impossible to give advancing enemy an empty city. Viipuri is a good example.

As we can establish Finland did have a choise to strike a peace deal with USSR (and England as well for that matter).
Finland bet og Germany instead. I am sure that Finnish goverment had it’s own reasons. And they pragmaticaly chose what was best for Finland. Fair enough!
Eventually these politicians have been proven right. Grim situation, no matter the course of action.
And though British Commonwealth declared war against Finland, they didn’t commit any military actions against our troops in any stage of the war. British declared war because Stalin demanded it in the name of the Alliance.

But lets face it it was done not out of love for humankind, but out of intrests of Finland. So there were alterenatives to waging the war against USSR. Unfortunately we will never find tham out as Finnish goverment did not even want to engage in dialog.
But you must understand how reliable Soviet Union was seen. Zero credibility, will break any contract whenever they want.
It is a good thing to remember that Soviets were not expected to follow any treaties.

Well, German did have some influance on the Finnish goverment. Like forexample their informed Germans right away about the peace proposal. There were other examples of coordination and cooperation.
And if you say that Finland was so dependant on the German food supply and was affraid of German occupation (reasonably, BTW) then here you are the way Germans had saying on how Finnish goverment should work.
Not the composition of it, though. And not how to handle internal affairs. These kinds of political matters however, were wise to share to sole provider of food and weapons.
Food was a good chokehold then. THere wouldn’t have been famine, if it wasn’t for the war in the first place.

Hi to everybody! A long time lurker and a first time poster chiming in.

Quite a discussion here…too bad that it’s pretty similar to Fenno-Russian discussions in other forums.

First things first: At page 6 of this thread Chevan has posted a Soviet propaganda picture as of some kind of proof of “Finnish Barbarism” towards Soviet citizens in occupied Eastern Karelia. Should the admins/mods have a somekind of problem with that?

I’d like to take on Chevan’s rather poorly constructed accusations:

1. There’s enough proof of that the Soviet Union’s war aim in Winter War (1939 - 1940) was to conquer the whole of Finland…not just a few border municipalities. To consider that the Soviets sent eventually 1/3 of their standing army just to wage “an undeclared 3 month border incident” is laughable. The war started with Soviet bombers over Finnish cities bombing civilian targets at will.

2. The Winter War showed SU as a naked aggressor (the Molotov - Ribbentropp treaty!) which created the need to downplay the war and the huge Soviet losses (the propaganda film of the Red Army “storming” the Mannerheim line is still in existance) in SU. The result of this is the poor knowledge of this war in present day Russia.

3. When Winter War ended the Soviets took more Finnish land in peace talks than in the battlefields…sure this is just “securing the Leningrad”. This and the war itself made Finland an enemy of SU…thirsting of revenge. The Finns knew this is not over yet.

4. The Interim Peace period (1940 - 1941). Stalin wasn’t happy about the gains if Winter War and started to pressure the Finnish government for the acquisation of Petsamo nickel mines. Also, Soviets made several acts of belligerence to which the Finnish government didn’t react…at first. But the result was a bad case of deja vu for the Finns (The diplomatic pressure was even worse than before Winter War).

Thus Finns started to warm up for the German courtship. The presence of Wehrmacht troops travelling to occupied Norway was accepted as a counterweight to Soviet presence in Hanko peninsula (the peace treaty says Hanko is leased but it’s really occuped territory).

If the Soviets really wanted to keep Finland neutral then why did they constantly pushed Finland in the awaiting arms of Nazi Germany?

The reason to this is simple: Stalin wanted Finland to be isolated from the free west in order to be finished and conquered later (the Molotov - Ribbentropp treaty is still valid at this point).

1. It can be argued that Finland was the aggressor in Continuation War (1941 - 1944) but that this war started the same way like the Winter War - Soviet bombers over Finland - at this point the Finnish goverment reacted to a belligerent action and notified the Finnish parliament that Finland is at war with the Soviet Union.

to be continued…

Oh one more finnish defender here:)
Good, fresh blood:)
Hi AirdefMike, welcome to the forum.
OK since the our friend Fennica does ignore most of our documents and photos- lets continie this discussion.
Firstly about photos…

The fact that this is probably propogandic photo does not prove that the Concentration camp never exist
We have a lot of propogandic photos of Auswitz- does it mean it never exist?
Secondary the other photos, taken from finnis personal archives (see above
page 7 post 97) demonstrate the finnish war crime- the mass shoting of prisoners/pows.
So you do not even try to press the mods/admins here.
Then lets’ go on
1.The suggestion that Stalin wanted “all Finland”- does not mean that he really ordered the Red Army to peleaze all his dreams.
The Britan was aimed to attack the USSR in this way.
So the finns narrows-nationalistic view is also pretty laughable.They absolutly ignore the International situation- this is rough mistake
2.Poor knowledge of Winter War?:slight_smile:
Let me notice you one interesting fact that you , having poor knowledge of history , simply do not know.
Between the 1918-1939 we have at least TWO wars when Finns were agressorsSee posts above from Wiki and maps.

Oh one more finnish defender here:)
OK since the our friend Fennica does ignore most of our documents and photos- lets continie this discussion.
Firstly about photos…

The fact that this is probably propogandic photo does not prove that the Concentration camp for civils never existed
page 7 post 97) demonstrate the finnish war crime- the mass shoting of prisoners/pows.
Then lets’ go on
1.The suggestion that Stalin wanted “all Finland”- does not mean that he really ordered the Red Army to execute all his dreams.
So the finns narrows-nationalistic view is also pretty laughable.They absolutly ignore the International situation- this is rough mistake
Let me notice you one interesting fact that you , having poor knowledge of history , simply do not know.
Between the 1918-1939 we have at least TWO wars when Finns were agressorsSee posts above from Wiki and maps.

3.But during war 1941-44 the finns also took the territory, much more further then finnish borders till the 1939. see map again. They’ve captured whole Russian Karelia.

4.Not just STalin but also and Britan and USA was concerned about Finnish-Nazy friendship since the 1940.
The finns supplied Germany with nickel of Petsamo- the very importains material for German military industry.As you may be know the Britan lead the war with Germany in this period.
The diplomatic pressure from all of side was absolutly explained.
And again your accusation at Stalin agressive planns toward Finland also simply ignore the importains International events( see decision Allies in Tehrain about post-war fate of Finland)
5No it can’t be even argued.
The Finns pretty well let the GErman to use its territory for the GErmans Army to attack the North of USSR and also provided wih airfields for GErmans bombers.
So beeing the ally of NAzy since the first days of war ( although the war in the North has beed started week later 28 june) fiins could not claim that war was started “coz the Soviet bombed first”.
This is nonsense.
COz the GErman army has been already on the finnish territory.

Hmm… not mentioned… Peculair. Ok.
Can you say what was the Finnish goal of the war? In june 1941? In September? In 1942?
What were the Finnish goverment and military leaders fighting for?

Not here, there isn’t. We are all Finnos, from four tribes. Swedes kinship is mere 5%, and that in the coastal area only.

I was reffering to Lapps.

[QUOTE=Chevan;118612]Oh one more finnish defender here:)

Thank you…it seems that the Finns still do the defending and Russians the attacking. The irony isn’t lost on me.

The fact that this is probably propogandic photo does not prove that the Concentration camp for civils never existed

Is that a question? That propaganda only proves the Soviet attempt to prove that Finns were of equal evil as the Nazis. For this the Soviets had a clear purpose.

Finns had different kind of camps for different purposes: for prisoners of war and to detain Soviet citizens (the partisan threat). Yes, even the amount of Soviet pows took the Finns by surprise and given the food situation back then the prisoners suffered (as did the detained civilians).

What you don’t know is that the Finnish authorities called for help from the International Red Cross to solve the problems with the camps. Also Swedish reporters were allowed to inspect the camps. Later, these problems were solved according the rules given by the IRC and the mortality dropped.

So there’s one myth busted.

Ooh…are you trying to make me look like a nazi…or a holocaust denier? How low of you…but it’s not a surprise given by the vocabulary you use on this forum.

Of course there are always warcrimes happening on a smaller scale during a war. You are trying to paint the Finns as Nazis which is quite clear here.

Then lets’ go on
1.The suggestion that Stalin wanted “all Finland”- does not mean that he really ordered the Red Army to execute all his dreams.

I don’t really know what Stalin dreamt of…I doubt that you do either. The Soviets executed the Molotov-Ribbentropp treaty to the full: Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Bessarabia and Finland. Just that is proof enough. In the end SU was the invader.

The other side of the Molotov-Ribbentropp treaty was that the Nazis sold Finland to the Soviet “sphere of influence”. How that relates to your claims of Finnish-Nazi friendship? Do you think that our leaders back then didn’t smell anything fishy? If you don’t…I’d call it “narrow”. In the same way the Soviet Union sold the free Western democracies to the Nazi “sphere of influence”.

Is the so called “narrow Finnish nationalistic view” worse than the present Russian nationalistic view which defends the actions of Stalin’s tyranny against smaller neighbours? This is defending war communism actually.

You show your poor knowledge of Winter and Continuation Wars here constantly…to be more to the point, you just post the official Soviet history of WW2.

Funny that you mention the 1918 -1939 era. The Finnish Civil War…hmm…what where Soviet-Russian troops and military advisors doing in the ranks of the revolutionary reds? (and elsewhere in eastern Europe?) Finland and Soviet Union were in a middle of de facto (undeclared) war until the treaty of Dorpat.

I’ve taken my time here reading these forums before I posted…so infact I’m very familiar how you use the (still pretty unreliable) Wikipedia. You use only snippets which can be used to reinforce you claims and ignore the facts which might refute them.

3.But during war 1941-44 the finns also took the territory, much more further then finnish borders till the 1939. see map again. They’ve captured whole Russian Karelia.

Yep, that’s correct. Finnish army of Karelia occupied defensible line connected by lakes. Its’ called the line of 3 isthmuses. It was thought be a good defensible ground to await the decisive Soviet attack which would eventually settle the war(s). But this isn’t really the answer to the point I made, now isn’t it? So you haven’t really answered to it.

4.Not just STalin but also and Britan and USA was concerned about Finnish-Nazy friendship since the 1940.

Lol! Stalin was concerned about “Finnish - Nazi friendship”? This is hilarious!
Maybe Stalin really shouldn’t have invaded Finland back in 39 it seems. Britain (and the Commonwealth) declared war on Finland only to please Stalin. I wonder why the Brits didn’t have any demands at the peace table from Finland?

The finns supplied Germany with nickel of Petsamo- the very importains material for German military industry.As you may be know the Britan lead the war with Germany in this period.

Nickel was a precious commodity in the world back then. It was very unlucky for Finland that the deposit was discovered. That nickel pretty much guaranteed the unwelcomed Soviet and German interests towards Finland.

When Finland was at peace, the country can trade whatever with whoever it can. But unfortunately, we needed arms and food and Germany was the only provider available because they’ve invaded and conquered Scandinavia.

As far as Great Britain is concerned, they left Finland alone during Winter War and during times of such difficulties, a country has look for it’s own first.

The diplomatic pressure from all of side was absolutly explained.

A good idea for you to think about. Why did the Soviets pressure Finland during the Interim peace?

And again your accusation at Stalin agressive planns toward Finland also simply ignore the importains International events( see decision Allies in Tehrain about post-war fate of Finland)

Now did I? The Allies agreed on surrender terms for the Axis countries in Teheran. The main rule was “unconditional surrender” with 2 exceptions: Finland and Romania. Roosevelt argued with Stalin that Finland can be persuaded away from the fighting. Hmm…lets see what happened: Romania was invaded by SU and occupied. And what happened with Finland?

3 days after Normandy landings (while the western allies’ eyes were fixated there) Soviet Union launched the 4th Strategic Offensive against the Finns to reach the Kymi-river deep in Finland and to crush the Finnish army completely.

Isn’t that a wee bit aggressive? Noooh…it was just the friendly neighbourhood Uncle Joe sending his liberators into Finland again.

5No it can’t be even argued.
The Finns pretty well let the GErman to use its territory for the GErmans Army to attack the North of USSR and also provided wih airfields for GErmans bombers.

Actually it can be argued. I’ve seen the Soviet mission orders for their bombers. It’s in the records and in the net. Look it up. I heartily recommend it. In fact those Soviet bombers in Finnish airspace are both in Finnish and Soviet records. Must be the truth then. :wink:

The German troops on Finnish soil didn’t commence their attack until Finland did. That was a demand from the Finnish government to which the Germans complied.

So beeing the ally of NAzy since the first days of war ( although the war in the North has beed started week later 28 june) fiins could not claim that war was started “coz the Soviet bombed first”.

Look above…you just helped to prove my point. And the Finns and the Nazies weren’t allies. This is Soviet propaganda…funny how it still exists.

This is nonsense.
COz the GErman army has been already on the finnish territory.

But so was the glorious liberators of Reddish Army of workers and peasants…right there on Finnish soil: Hanko, Salla, Viipuri (our 2nd largest city) …the friggin whole of the Isthmus.

So…where’s the nonsense?

The problem with the discussions with Russians is that the Soviet propaganda has painted the Finns with the same colour as the German nazies.

Finland was a democracy…Nazi germany was a tyranny (as was SU). There’s a difference.

How Finland could not be an ally of Germany back then? The answer is very simple: The aim of the German foreign policy during the Continuation War towards Finland was to tie Finland very close to Germany and to it’s eventual faith (downfall). Ie. they wanted an alliance which never happened. This is documented and the truth. Luckily for us…our leaders needed the room of manouver in international diplomacy and never consented to an alliance. Thus the Finns and the Germans were co-belligerents.

The whole of case Finland can be expained very simply: Finland, the smallest democracy in Europe was invaded by Soviet Union (thus breaking the non-aggression treaty).

The Finnish Army fired shots in anger during the course of WW2 against soldiers of 2 countries: Soviet Union and Nazi Germany. The biggest tyrannies in the world.

@AirdefMike

Hello and welcome!!!

I would like to ask you a couple of questions.

• In the light of the events of 1939 and 1940 do you think Germany and USSR were allies?

• What is your definition of an alliance? What it takes for you to call to country as allies?

Thanks in advance.

Not mentioned because it seems the plans were just one of many possibilities. Russians don’t talk about annexing Finland either. That plan was foiled due to our actions, while Neva-plans were foiled by the actions of both SU and Germany.
At the beginning the goal was to take back stolen lands, there is no question about that.
Then High-Command wanted to take as good defensive positions as possible, because we then thought that Soviets would soon launch counter-assault. It did not materialize, because of the German success, so front was “quiet” for few whole years.
I am not sure why the goverment and high Command kept the war going. Possibly waited the opportune moment, very likely expected the SU and Germans to exhaust themselves and take the opportunity to claim kinsmen areas.

I was reffering to Lapps.
Ah, I see. Well, we do have the Ålanders aswell. I myself would not be unhappy if they would join the Sweden as many of them, quite loudly, wishes.
Ålanders are swedish/viking blood and they don’t even have to go to the army, plus mainland Finns actually upkeep them.

As for the Sami-folk. THey are good people, though folk. THey pay their taxes, go to the military, are a part of Finland. Unlike Ålanders.
Sami are distant kin through language, but I am rather sure not through bloodlines. If they’d want to form autonomous Lappland, I’d be ay OK with it.

This is to AirdefMike.
There is no point engaging this particular person.
You see these photos, right? And see how he has twisted the event so that in his mind these were POWs, rather than corpses dragged from the battlegrounds to the side of the road, waiting to be transported into a mass grave.
And then makes up his mind that this woman trooper is suddenly a civilian and shot alongside Soviets.

Other than that, welcome.

[QUOTE=Egorka;118671]@AirdefMike

Hello and welcome!!!

Well, hi. Are you the same Egorka that posts on the Armchair General Forums?

I would like to ask you a couple of questions.

• In the light of the events of 1939 and 1940 do you think Germany and USSR were allies?

Yes and no. With yes I mean they both conspired against the world peace.

With no I mean they both agreed on certain actions to take place with each other’s blessings. USSR didn’t wage war against Great Britain and France but didn’t seem to mind the Germans invading them.

• What is your definition of an alliance? What it takes for you to call to country as allies?

Thanks in advance.

I think an alliance can be defined as for example 2 (or more) countries sharing a same enemy and having mutual war objectives.

An “alliance” is still rather loose term and is used carelessly even by western historians .

[QUOTE=Fennica;118720]This is to AirdefMike.
There is no point engaging this particular person.

Yeah, Chevan seem to be quite the incompetent debator.

You see these photos, right? And see how he has twisted the event so that in his mind these were POWs, rather than corpses dragged from the battlegrounds to the side of the road, waiting to be transported into a mass grave.
And then makes up his mind that this woman trooper is suddenly a civilian and shot alongside Soviets.

Arguing with these young (I surely do hope so that they’re young!) nationalistic Russians brings to my mind how it would be like if one argued with a neonazi or a German person who is convinced that fascism is the way to go. The vocabulary these Russian use is just horrible.

Other than that, welcome.

Thanks! I hope I’ll learn alot here.

Ps. I’m from Lapland and I’d like to stay with Finland :mrgreen:

[QUOTE=AirdefMike;118727]

Yeah, Chevan seem to be quite the incompetent debator.

I always thought he was a master debater…:slight_smile:

Right. So you want to say that Finland was nearly as bad as USSR in this respect?

That plan was foiled due to our actions, while Neva-plans were foiled by the actions of both SU and Germany.
At the beginning the goal was to take back stolen lands, there is no question about that.

When is exactly “the beginning”? Before 26 June 1941 what was the goal of the palanned war against USSR? When did the plan of “3 isthmuses” appeared first?

Then High-Command wanted to take as good defensive positions as possible, because we then thought that Soviets would soon launch counter-assault. It did not materialize, because of the German success, so front was “quiet” for few whole years.
That is clear. I have no questions about “WHY”, i.e. they wanted to increase Finlands security. But it was planned at the expense of the neighbour. Just like USSR in 1939. You see? No?

[QUOTE=AirdefMike;118724]

Well, hi. Are you the same Egorka that posts on the Armchair General Forums?

Yes, that is me.
Why do you ask? :slight_smile:

Yes and no. With yes I mean they both conspired against the world peace.

With no I mean they both agreed on certain actions to take place with each other’s blessings. USSR didn’t wage war against Great Britain and France but didn’t seem to mind the Germans invading them.

I think an alliance can be defined as for example 2 (or more) countries sharing a same enemy and having mutual war objectives.

An “alliance” is still rather loose term and is used carelessly even by western historians .

Ok. Fair enough.
So, what is your answer on Germany-Finland from June 1941 and onward? Were they allies?

I’m from Lapland and I’d like to stay with Finland

That is cool! Are you into the region’s local history? I am interested in some events in Northen Finland during 19th century.

Don’t confuse machineguns with sub-machineguns. They are completely different weapons with different application. During the Winter War the Soviets had plenty of the excellent DP-27 LMG and venerable Maxim m1910 MG. They also had small quantities of the failed DS-39 MG.

On the sub-machineguns, the Red Army; like many of it’s western counterparts considered these to be a weapon more suited to police use and not modern warfare. So even though the had some quantities of the PPD-34 and PPD-38 in stock they had been removed from service and placed into storage. None were available for the Front until reports of the successes of Finnish hit and run tactics from mobile troops armed with SMGs filtered back. By the time the existing stocks of PPD-34s and PPD-38s started to reach the front the war was all but over.

A note on the rifles used by the Finns; when the Finnish army was born, it inherented a lot of arms left by the Russian Army (Finland used to be a Imperial Russian provance) i.e. 1907 Maxims and m1891 Mosin Nagant rifles.

In the 1920s these rifles were starting to show their age and a modernisation process was begun starting with re-barrelling the old rifles. Over time other changes were introduced, but the core Mosin Nagant action remained. Infact Finland even purchased WWI war booty Mosin Nagants from other countries like Italy, Poland and the Baltics to re-build into new rifles (as an example my Finish 1934 dated m-27 was built on a 1898 receiver that has Austrian capture proofs).

So while the Fins were armed with a modernanised Mosin Nagant, at its core it still was the same rifle as issued to the Soviet infantry (and even then the Fins were not above picking up captured weapons and turning them against their previous owners).