The War in Iraq

Yes, subject to you following the rules of Personal and Operational Security - a number of us on here are serving military and are rather sensitive about such things. Anything I see which might positively identify your father as a serving soldier in Iraq or which gives away anything the army is likely to want to keep secret for operational reasons will be deleted without warning.

Remote as it may seem to you, there are some thoroughly unpleasant jihadi types out there who will make use of any information they can get. I am not about to give them any assistance to do so.

Im more interested in knowing what your thinking with your dad in Iraq, what stress you are dealing with. It must be hard for a young man knowing his dad is in harms way. Your dad is a hero to me…thank him for me.

Your Dad’s in the 10th Mountain light ID?

Well the stress really affected my grades in school they droped from Bs and Cs to Ds and Fs. and I missed him Alot:cry:

Yes he is

This is not fresh news about the war, however I believe that is a very, very interesting episode of the conflict.

Knife fighting in Irak:

NAJAF, Iraq - One of his friends was dead, 12 others lay wounded and the four soldiers still left standing were surrounded and out of ammunition. So Salvadoran Cpl. Samuel Toloza said a prayer, whipped out his switchblade knife and charged the Iraqi gunmen.

In one of the only known instances of hand-to-hand combat in the Iraq (news - web sites) conflict, Toloza stabbed several attackers who were swarming around a comrade. The stunned assailants backed away momentarily, just as a relief column came to their rescue.

“We never considered surrender. I was trained to fight until the end,” said the 25-year-old Toloza, one of 380 El Salvador (news - web sites) soldiers whose heroism is being cited just as criticism is leveled against other members of the multinational force in Iraq.

Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) said recently the Central American unit has “gained a fantastic reputation among the coalition” and expressed hope that they will stay beyond their scheduled departure.

Phil Kosnett, who heads the Coalition Provisional Authority in this holy Shiite city, says he owes his life to Salvadorans who repelled a well-executed insurgent attack on his three-car convoy in March. He’s nominated six of them for the U.S. Army’s Bronze Star medal.
“You hear this snotty phrase `coalition of the billing’ for some of the smaller contingents,” says Kosnett, referring to the apparent eagerness of some nations to charge their Iraq operations to Washington. “The El Sals? No way. These guys are punching way above their weight. They’re probably the bravest and most professional troops I’ve every worked with.”

The Salvadorans are eager to stress their role as peacekeepers rather than warriors, perhaps with an eye to public opinion back home. Masked protesters last week seized the cathedral in the capital of San Salvador (news - web sites), demanding that President-elect Tony Saca pull the troops out of Iraq.

Saca, who takes office June 1, has said he will leave the unit in Iraq until August as planned, despite the early departure of the Spanish troops under which they were serving. The other three Central American contingents — from the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua and Honduras — have already returned home or are scheduled to do so soon.

“We didn’t come here to fire a single shot. Our rifles were just part of our equipment and uniforms. But we were prepared to repel an attack,” says Col. Hugo Omar Orellana Calidonio, a 27-year army veteran who commands the Cuscatlan Battalion.

The troops, El Salvador’s first peacekeepers abroad, conducted a wide range of humanitarian missions in Najaf. They provided books, electricity, playground equipment and other supplies to destitute schools and helped farmers with irrigation works and fertilizer supplies.

“Our country came out of a similar situation as in Iraq 12 years ago, so people in El Salvador can understand what is happening here,” said Calidonio, referring to a civil war between the U.S.-backed government and leftist guerrillas that left some 75,000 dead. The military was held responsible for widespread abuses.

“We came here to help and we were helping. Our relationship with the people was excellent. They were happy with what we were doing,” Calidonio says.

Then came April 4, when armed followers of radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr seized virtual control of the city and staged attacks on two camps — Baker and Golf — adjacent bases on the fringes of Najaf occupied by the Salvadoran and Spanish units.

When Toloza and 16 other soldiers arrived that morning at a low-walled compound of the Iraqi Civil Defense Corps, about 1.2 miles from their camp, they found its 350 occupants had melted away and themselves trapped by al-Sadr’s al-Mahdi militia.
Lt. Col. Francisco Flores, the battalion’s operations officer, said the surrounded soldiers held their fire for nearly half an hour, fearful of inflicting civilian casualties, even as 10 of their number were wounded by rocket-propelled grenades and bullets from assault rifles and machine guns.

After several hours of combat, the besieged unit ran out of ammunition, having come with only 300 rounds for each of their M-16 rifles. Pvt. Natividad Mendez, Toloza’s friend for three years, lay dead, riddled by two bullets probably fired by a sniper. Two more were wounded as the close-quarters fighting intensified.

“I thought, `This is the end.’ But at the same time I asked the Lord to protect and save me,” Toloza recalled.
The wounded were placed on a truck while Toloza and the three other soldiers moved on the ground, trying to make their way back to the base. They were soon confronted with al-Sadr’s fighters, about 10 of whom tried to seize one of the soldiers.

“My immediate reaction was that I had to defend my friend, and the only thing I had in my hands was a knife,” Toloza said.

As reinforcements arrived to save Toloza’s unit, the two camps were under attack, with the El Salvadorans and a small U.S. contingent of soldiers and civilian security personnel trying to protect the perimeter and retake an adjoining seven-story hospital captured by the insurgents.

The Spanish didn’t fight, and only after a long delay agreed to send out their armored vehicles to help evacuate the wounded. Flores says he cannot question the Spanish decisions that day, but with a slightly sardonic smile adds that they “could have helped us sooner.”
U.S. troops have now replaced the Spanish. Salvadoran officers, many of whom were trained at military schools in the United States, say they’re pleased to be working with the Americans.

http://www.defensenews.com

Good news Everyone My Dad is home!:mrgreen:

Congratulations :slight_smile:

And welcome home to your Dad.

This is probably really old but take a look at this article from the Boston Globe! It actually might come of interest.

Thanks for sharing SD, that certainly hits home on a personal level for you…the dangers they face while deployed over there.

Yeah, it can get rather hot out there…
http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/men-of-valor-part-ii.htm

Thanks for the link PDF…

…In truth, the British have kept faith with their pledge of partnership, and much more because by overstaying, they jeopardized men, women and mission in order to buy us time and keep the exits covered. America has no truer ally, always there, through bad and worse. Of course, almost none of this mattered to the men of 4 Rifles on May 21, who’d been out more than 13 hours in stifling heat…

…Ambient temperature was 46° C [about 115°F] outside the vehicles. There was intelligence that Jaysh-al-Mehdi (the Mehdi Army, or “JAM”) was waiting ahead. In fact, there apparently were about 100 enemy waiting to ambush. The convoy was just near the Martyr Sadr building when the enemy attacked with small arms and RPGs…

…Over later months of fighting, Moger’s Welsh platoon would turn heads due to its extraordinary morale, and today’s performance would be cited as an example of well-trained soldiers in combat…

…But God smiled on Burn; it’s just too bad that nobody back in the U.K. or America would likely ever know what the British mechanics in Basra were made of…

It’s probably worth mentioning at this point that my battalion are Reccy Mechs and use Fodens (although I don’t think we had any guys out in Iraq at the time of this article, roughly half the battalion have done either Telic or Herrick). Fodens are very big, obvious targets with no armour protection whatsoever. NOT something you want to drive into a firefight if you have the choice…

No, I would think not…

Foden GS 6x6 Recovery Vehicle
http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/ese/muv_6b6.htm

I just saw the No End in Sight - documentary. Very good doc, clearly covering of the reasons leading to the years of chaos in Iraq, no wonder it has gotten so great reviews. Best Iraq doc I have seen.

Mind-numbing mistakes by Paul Bremer. Sometimes the words just fail to describe.

Just hoping that Bush doesn’t find a way to disturb David Petraeus and his efforts.

“Oh, no, we’re not going to have any casualties.”

• Bush discussing the Iraq war with Christian Coalition founder Pat Robertson.

_

According to Bremer, he has made no mistakes.

I would suppose he will be elected President, one fine day.

Bump! Off-topic posts in this thread have been moved here.

Has anyone seen the documentary Farenhiet 9/11 by Michael Moore? It was good enough to hold my interest. It is basically about the way bush cheated in the elections and possible theorys about why the war is this way. And i read his book "Dude where’s my country that is a good one also.

Mate, I don’t necessarily endorse that film or book as balanced, but at least they balance a lot of other rubbish coming from elsewhere.

I force myself to read columnists I know are idiots and to listen to bigger morons on radio and television, purely because if I don’t I’ll think the idiots I normally read and listen to aren’t idiots.

Gather as much information as you can from people who agree with you and even more from people who don’t agree with you, and you might begin to understand what’s going on around you. If you do, send me a PM, because most of the time I’m buggered if I understand it.

The fact that you’re expanding your horizons shows that you’re growing up. It’s a shithouse experience, realising that the simple honour and belief you had as a child, and which many service men and women have, isn’t returned by the bastards who run any nation.

I feel that you ought to receive some form of accolade for those pearls.