U.S Pistols and Revolvers in WW2.

You will find no reliable or confirmed reference to moderator equipped Liberators.

If someone had posted that sort of gen on the internet, they were working purely from their experience of computer games, much as IRONMAN used to.

Just shows the danger of posting guesswork.

I own a Colt Woodsman which clearly has “NOT ENGLISH MADE” stamped on the side of the frame. I am told this was probably sent to England prior to our entry in December, 1941.

“NOT ENGLISH MADE”

Why not just made in USA :smiley:

The Americans chose the 45. for their pistol because it was much more powerful than the 8mm luger they were demonstrated.

Actually, General Crozier of Army Ordnance stipulated .45 caliber for a new sidearm because of the poor performance of the .38 Colt cartridge during the Moro insurrection in the Philippine Islands.
JT

Actually, General Crozier of Army Ordnance stipulated .45 caliber for a new sidearm because of the poor performance of the .38 Colt cartridge during the Moro insurrection in the Philippine Islands.
JT

And the moros were in drugs so the .38 is commented as harmless in those guys.

Strange device, spent shell catcher for the M1911.

I agree, the Moro uprising did bring about the adoption of the M-1911,with its .45 a.c.p. cartridge. It did an excellent job in downing even the most crazed, drugged, Kris wielding tribsman. - Raspenau -
Also agreed, that is a strange looking piece of hardware on the pistol, wonder why it was so important to keep the spent cases from falling to the ground ?

I think It was used by the U.S army air corps in WW1, let say the pistol was a air-to-air weapon, the catcher I guess must be for avoid any brass hitting the shooter face.

That would probably be the only use for such a device, I suppose that flying caes would pose a threat when airborn, to the plane as much as to the person using the weapon. - Raspenau -

It is to stop spent cases falling into the cockpit and jamming the controls, nothing to do with cases hitting the pilot’s face.

Why in the world would a pilot want to be shooting his side arm from the cockpit in flight anyways ???

Well… because we are talking about early days in WW1, open cockpits, no Machine guns, you know.

Roger that I got ya lol

That must have been some tight flying, getting close enough to use a 1911 with one hand, and still fly the plane with the other… courageous people.

Hello, that is a nice CZ-52 Gutkowski.

This is A semi-auto revolver made by Webley-Fosbery in July of 1900,
it fired the .455 Webley round. It weighs 3 pounds and is 11 inches long.

http://www.bellum.nu/armoury/WSWFAR.jpg