US Army Involvement in the Pacific

Hi,

Well, here are the maps I promised. I was short on time today, so I will continue on this topic probably Friday evening.
It is really getting late here on the East Coast.

Enjoy.

Map showing advance of 32nd and 25th Divisions of I Corps on Luzon in the Philippines - 21 Feb to 10 March 1945.
For reference the town of San Jose is circled in yellow and the town of Kapinatalan is underlined in yellow. Both are located along Highway 5.

from U.S. Army in World War II: Atlas, The War in the Pacific, Stetson Conn, General Editor, National Historical Society, 1994, p 79

Map showing advance of 161st, 27th and 35th Regiments of 25th Division on Luzon in the Philippines - 12 March to 31 May 1945.
For reference the the town of Kapinatalan is underlined in yellow and located along Highway 5.
Black dashed arrows indicate the advances - 29 March to 21 April 1945.

from U.S. Army in World War II: Triumph in the Philippines, The War in the Pacific, Stetson Conn, General Editor, National Historical Society, 1994, p 521

Map showing advance of US forces on Luzon in the Philippines - January to August 1945.
For reference the area around the town of San Jose is circled in yellow.
Also circled in yellow is the US I Corps - part of General Krueger’s 6th Army. The 25th Inf Div was part of I Corps.

from Atlas of World War II, David Jordan and Andrew Wiest, Barnes & Noble Books, 2004, p 229

Partial modern day map of Luzon, Philippines from www.Multimap.com
For reference the area around the town of San Jose is circled in yellow.

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=13450000&Y=1750000&width=700&height=400&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=mercator&db=w3&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=&zm=0&scale=2000000&up.x=289&up.y=4

U.S. Army in World War II: Triumph in the Philippines, The War in the Pacific, Stetson Conn, General Editor, National Historical Society, 1994, p 521

This is next on my list of books to purchase. I love these maps, George. Thanks again for posting them.

Awesome book recommend it to everyone. Barnes & Noble are great for coming up with book that the average person wouldnt want but total gold for others … at very good prices. I know I sound like an advert but this one is a really great book.

I’m going to a town an hour away that actually has a big bookstore tomorrow. Can you believe the town I live in has one used book store and that’s it? I can’t wait to raid the WWII section. I’m going to make a note of all the books recommended on this forum before I go tomorrow. Then I’ll update everyone on my shopping spree. Damn, I’m off topic again. Since I’m off topic anyway, has anyone gone over to check out the thread I started a few days ago about Italian Americans in WWII. I’m beginning to think I’m invisible since I haven’t gotten a single reply. Either that or people find that thread extremely boring. Not sure which.

Back on topic a bit: Does anyone feel that the Army’s involvement is often overlooked in the Pacific by historians because the actions of the Marines were so much more dramatic?

When reading the through the thread on the 101st, I was reminded of a book I read some time ago on Pacific operations, a chapter of which covered the U.S. invasion of Coregador in the Phillipine Islands. As I recall, this was carried out by the 501 Para Infantry. One of the most dramatic airborne operations I have ever read. Does anyone know of this, and if so, were the 501(?) Para Infantry an element of the 101 or 82, or were they a part of an entirely different formation?

The jump on ‘Corregidor’ February 1945.

The troops detailed for the operation, known colletcively as Rock Force, included the 503rd Parachute Infantry Regiment, the 3rd Battalion 34th Infantry Regiment, the 46th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion, one company of the 161st Parachute Engineer Battalion and supporting units. In overall command was the 503rd’s commanding officer, 33 year old Colonel George M Jones.

32 Bravo, thanks for introducing the information about the 503rd parachute infantry. I had no idea they used airborne troops in the South Pacific. I think it deserves it’s own thread in this section (American Military-Pacific Theater) so that the information won’t get lost at the bottom of this thread and it will be more likely to be viewed by anyone interested in the Airborne. Just a suggestion. I’m going to go look up some more information about the 503rd and thanks again.:slight_smile:

Good thinking! In the meantime, if you check the above maps, you will symbols of other airborne ops.

Photos of my sets of:
History of United States Naval Operations in World War II 15 Volume Set (Hardcover),
by Samuel Eliot Morison, Castle Books, 2001. The series was originally published volume by volume 1947 until completed in the early 1960s. I bought my set through the Military Book Club for sale price of $150 (about $10 per volume)
And
U.S. Army In World War II, 50th Anniversary Commemorative Edition, Kent Roberts Greenfield - General Editor (1953) thru Maurice Matloff - General Editor (1972), The National Historical Society, 1994. Originally published by volume 1953 - 1973. I purchased my set volume by volume through the National Historical Society in the mid 1990’s.

History of United States Naval Operations in World War II 15 Volume Set (Hardcover)
by Samuel Eliot Morison
http://www.amazon.com/History-United-States-Naval-Operations/dp/0762854316/sr=1-1/qid=1171147199/ref=pd_bbs_1/105-6883372-2892422?ie=UTF8&s=books
“A Classic., July 11, 2002
Reviewer: Cap’n Co (Fall River, Massachusetts United States)
This is the definitive history of US Naval ops in the second world war. It is very well written. Morison was a Harvard history professor interested in maritime matters who FDR appointed in April 1942 as official naval historian and comissioned in the USNR. During the rest of the war Morison worked on the history full time, spending about half the time at sea with various elements of the fleet. The series was published volume by volume until completed in the early 1960s.
When these books were written, the allied successes in breaking axis codes were still secret, so the full reasons behind many command decisions could not be discussed. On occasion this forced Morison into a little obsfucation. So long as the reader is aware that some crucial signals intelligence could not be mentioned, it makes little difference to the work as a whole.”

U.S. Army In World War II, 50th Anniversary Commemorative Edition, Kent Roberts Greenfield - General Editor (1953) thru Maurice Matloff - General Editor (1972), The National Historical Society, 1994
(I think it is out of print)
http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/collections/USAWW2/USAWW2.htm
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/index.html

A complete set was auctioned at ebay with starting bid at $375
http://cgi.ebay.com/U-S-ARMY-IN-WORLD-WAR-II-50th-Anniversary-Greenfield_W0QQitemZ250044286559QQihZ015QQcategoryZ378QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=50th+Anniversary+Commemorative+Edition&hl=en&num=10&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=US+Army+In+World+War+II&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images

25th INFANTRY ‘TROPIC LIGHTNING’ DIVISION in World War II. The unit fought in some of the fiercest fighting in the Pacific at Guadalcanal, followed by New Georgia Island and finally the bloody battles in Luzon.
http://www.military.cibmedia.com/main-search-detail.asp?idsearch=25th+inf&productcode=BP-25d2

The Official U.S. Army history of the 25th “Tropic Lightning” Infantry Division in WWII. The 25th first saw combat during the Dec. 7th 1941 Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. The unit fought in some of the fiercest fighting in the Pacific at Guadalcanal, followed by New Georgia Island and finally the bloody battles in Luzon.

Originally published in 1946 by Army and Navy Publishing Company. Details on the unit are as follows. Activated: 10 October 1941 in Hawaii. Campaigns: Guadalcanal, Luzon. After the Japanese machine-gunned Schofield Barracks, 7 December 1941, the 25th Infantry Division moved to beach positions for the defense of Honolulu and Ewa Plains. Following intensive training, the 25th began moving to Guadalcanal, 25 November 1942, to relieve Marines near Henderson Field. First elements landed near the Tenaru River, 17 December 1942, and entered combat, 10 January 1943, participating in the seizure of Kokumbona and the reduction of the Mount Austen Pocket in some of the bitterest fighting of the Pacific campaign.

The threat of large enemy attacks caused a temporary withdrawal, but Division elements under XIV Corps control relieved the 147th Infantry and took over the advance on Cape Esperance. The junction of these elements with Americal Division forces near the cape, 5 February 1943, ended organized enemy resistance. A period of garrison duty followed, ending 21 July: On that date, advance elements debarked on Munda, New Georgia.

The 35th Infantry Regiment, under the Northern Landing Force, took part in the capture of Vella Lavella, 15 August to 15 September 1943. Meanwhile, other elements landed on New Georgia, took Zieta, marched through jungle mud for 19 days, and captured Bairoko Harbor, winning the island. Elements cleared Arundel Island, 24 September 1943, and Kolombangara Island with its important Vila Airport, 6 October. Organized resistance on New Georgia ended, 25 August, and the Division moved to New Zealand for rest and training, last elements arriving on 5 December.

The 25th was transferred to New Caledonia, 3 February-14 March 1944, for continued training. The Division landed in the San Fabian area of Luzon, 11 January 1945, to enter the struggle for the liberation of the Philippines. It drove across the Luzon Central Plain, meeting the enemy at Binalonan, 17 January. Moving through the rice paddies, the 25th occupied Umingan, Lupao, and San Jose and destroyed a great part of the Japanese armor on Luzon.

On 21 February, the Division began operations in the Caraballo Mountains. It fought its way along Highway No. 5, taking Digdig, Putlan, and Kapintalan against fierce enemy counterattacks and took Balete Pass, 13 May, and opened the gateway to the Cagayan Valley, 27 May, with the capture of Santa Fe. Until 30 June, when the Division was relieved, it carried out mopping-up activities. On 1 July, the Division moved to Tarlac for training, leaving for Japan, 20 September. Nicknames: Tropic Lightning; sometimes called the Pineapple Division. Shoulder patch: In form of taro leaf in red, on which is superimposed a flash of lightning in gold. 1,235 KIA, 4,190 WIA, 262 Died of Wounds.

FROM DOWN UNDER TO NIPPON: The SIXTH U.S. ARMY in World War II. by Sixth Army Commander General Walter Krueger. Covers all 6th Army campaigns, divisions and major combat teams across the SW Pacific. -OUT OF PRINT-
http://www.military.cibmedia.com/main-search-detail.asp?idsearch=5th+inf&offset=25&productcode=BP-125
The SIXTH U.S. ARMY in World War II: FROM DOWN UNDER TO NIPPON. by Sixth Army Commander General Walter Krueger.The 6th Army, under the command of General Krueger, swept across the SW Pacific. Details its 2,700 mile advance, marked by numerous amphibious assaults, including the capture of the Admiralty Islands, Biak and Noemfoor Islands, the final New Guinea landings in ?44, and the bloody liberation of the Philippines. PRIMARY UNITS COVERED: 6th Infantry Division, 25th Infantry Division, 32nd Infantry Division, 33rd Infantry Division, 37th Infantry Division, 38th Infantry Division, 40th Infantry Division, 43rd Infantry Division, 1st Cavalry Division, 11th Airborne Division, 112th Cavalry Regiment Combat Team, 34rd Infantry Regiment Combat Team, 158th Infantry Regiment Combat Team, 503rd Parachute Regiment Combat Team From Down Under to Nippon describes the achievements and the hardships of the 6th Army and its individual units. It is an unadorned narrative of bitter fighting, hardships and outstanding performance, luck and victory. Exceptional coverage of Luzon and the recapture of the Philippines. 392 pages. Photographs. Maps.

Oh…my…you have more WWII books than my small town library. Congrats. I think?

LOL, Thanks ww2admin,

Well, that’s part of my collection. I don’t claim to have the world’s largest, but there’s more not pictured. I know what you mean though about small town libraries. :slight_smile:

Have you memorised them all, George?

Geez, I wish :wink:

I do plan on posting a complete listing of all US Army ground and air units that served in the Pacific / CBI during WWII. I should have some spare time this evening to get started. :slight_smile:

Hi Everyone,

Good postings, George. I haven’t been on forum much. The first dog tag of my project is winging its way across the Pacific to Kansas as we speak. It’s heading to the home of F.A. Bell’s sister, who is thrilled to have it back after over 60 years. I don’t think she’ll believe it until it arrives in the mail. The dog tag belonged to Frank Alonzo Bell of Tonganoxie, Kansas. :cool:

Thanks Francesca, and congratulations :slight_smile:

US Army, USAAF and US Marine Corps Units in the Pacific - WWII

War in the Pacific: Pearl Harbor to Tokyo Bay, Bernard C. Nalty, Salamander Books, Ltd., 1991, pp 288-289

The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, p 624

The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, p 625

The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, p 626

(CONTINUED BELOW)

(CONTINUED FROM ABOVE)

The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, p 627

The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, p 628

The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, p 629

The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, p 630

(CONTINUED BELOW)

(CONTINUED FROM ABOVE)

The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, p 631

The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, p 632

The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, p 633

The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, pp 634, 399

(CONTINUED BELOW)

(CONTINUED FROM ABOVE)

The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, p 400

The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, p 401

The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, p 402

The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, p 403

(CONTINUED BELOW)

(CONTINUED FROM ABOVE)

The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, p 404

The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, p 405

The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, p 406

The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, p 407

(CONTINUED BELOW)