US Army Involvement in the Pacific

(CONTINUED FROM ABOVE)

The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, p 408

The US Army in World War II, Mark R. Henry, Osprey Publishing, Ltd., 2001, p 42

The US Army in World War II, Mark R. Henry, Osprey Publishing, Ltd., 2001, p 43

The US Army in World War II, Mark R. Henry, Osprey Publishing, Ltd., 2001, p 44

(CONTINUED BELOW)

(CONTINUED FROM ABOVE)

The US Army in World War II, Mark R. Henry, Osprey Publishing, Ltd., 2001, p 45

The US Army in World War II, Mark R. Henry, Osprey Publishing, Ltd., 2001, p 46

The US Infantryman in World War II: Pacific Area of Operations 1941-45, Robert S. Rush, Osprey Publishing, Ltd., 2002, p 4

The US Infantryman in World War II: Pacific Area of Operations 1941-45, Robert S. Rush, Osprey Publishing, Ltd., 2002, p 5

(CONTINUED BELOW)

(CONTINUED FROM ABOVE)

The US Infantryman in World War II: Pacific Area of Operations 1941-45, Robert S. Rush, Osprey Publishing, Ltd., 2002, p 6

The US Infantryman in World War II: Pacific Area of Operations 1941-45, Robert S. Rush, Osprey Publishing, Ltd., 2002, p 7

The US Infantryman in World War II: Pacific Area of Operations 1941-45, Robert S. Rush, Osprey Publishing, Ltd., 2002, p 8

The US Infantryman in World War II: Pacific Area of Operations 1941-45, Robert S. Rush, Osprey Publishing, Ltd., 2002, p 9

(CONTINUED BELOW)

(CONTINUED FROM ABOVE)

The US Infantryman in World War II: Pacific Area of Operations 1941-45, Robert S. Rush, Osprey Publishing, Ltd., 2002, p 10

The US Infantryman in World War II: Pacific Area of Operations 1941-45, Robert S. Rush, Osprey Publishing, Ltd., 2002, p 11

The US Infantryman in World War II: Pacific Area of Operations 1941-45, Robert S. Rush, Osprey Publishing, Ltd., 2002, p 12

The US Infantryman in World War II: Pacific Area of Operations 1941-45, Robert S. Rush, Osprey Publishing, Ltd., 2002, p 13

(CONTINUED BELOW)

(CONTINUED FROM ABOVE)

The US Infantryman in World War II: Pacific Area of Operations 1941-45, Robert S. Rush, Osprey Publishing, Ltd., 2002, p 14

The US Infantryman in World War II: Pacific Area of Operations 1941-45, Robert S. Rush, Osprey Publishing, Ltd., 2002, p 34

The US Infantryman in World War II: Pacific Area of Operations 1941-45, Robert S. Rush, Osprey Publishing, Ltd., 2002, p 60

The World War II Databook, John Ellis, Aurum Press, Ltd., 1993, p 115

(CONTINUED BELOW)

(CONTINUED FROM ABOVE)

The World War II Databook, John Ellis, Aurum Press, Ltd., 1993, p 116

The World War II Databook, John Ellis, Aurum Press, Ltd., 1993, p 189

The World War II Databook, John Ellis, Aurum Press, Ltd., 1993, p 191

The World War II Databook, John Ellis, Aurum Press, Ltd., 1993, p 192

(CONTINUED BELOW)

(CONTINUED FROM ABOVE)

The World War II Databook, John Ellis, Aurum Press, Ltd., 1993, p 193

The World War II Databook, John Ellis, Aurum Press, Ltd., 1993, p 194

The World War II Databook, John Ellis, Aurum Press, Ltd., 1993, p 195

The World War II Databook, John Ellis, Aurum Press, Ltd., 1993, p 196

(CONTINUED BELOW)

(CONTINUED FROM ABOVE)

Illustrated World War II Encyclopedia, Lt Col Eddy Bauer and Brigadier Peter Young, H.S. Stuttman Inc., 1978, p 2681

Illustrated World War II Encyclopedia, Lt Col Eddy Bauer and Brigadier Peter Young, H.S. Stuttman Inc., 1978, p 2682

Illustrated World War II Encyclopedia, Lt Col Eddy Bauer and Brigadier Peter Young, H.S. Stuttman Inc., 1978, p 2683

Illustrated World War II Encyclopedia, Lt Col Eddy Bauer and Brigadier Peter Young, H.S. Stuttman Inc., 1978, p 2684

(CONTINUED BELOW)

(CONTINUED FROM ABOVE)

Illustrated World War II Encyclopedia, Lt Col Eddy Bauer and Brigadier Peter Young, H.S. Stuttman Inc., 1978, p 2685

Illustrated World War II Encyclopedia, Lt Col Eddy Bauer and Brigadier Peter Young, H.S. Stuttman Inc., 1978, p 2688

Illustrated World War II Encyclopedia, Lt Col Eddy Bauer and Brigadier Peter Young, H.S. Stuttman Inc., 1978, p 2689

Illustrated World War II Encyclopedia, Lt Col Eddy Bauer and Brigadier Peter Young, H.S. Stuttman Inc., 1978, p 2690

(CONTINUED BELOW / NEXT PAGE)

(CONTINUED FROM ABOVE / PREVIOUS PAGE)

The World War II Databook, John Ellis, Aurum Press, Ltd., 1993, p 243

The World War II Databook, John Ellis, Aurum Press, Ltd., 1993, pp 244, 235

(END)

Mr. Eller,
I was doing a search online for a map on the action at Lupao in the Philippines when I ran across your exchange with Francesca about her uncle. Dad was with HQ, 2nd Bn. , 35th Inf. during the Liberation of the Philippines. He passed away in 1995, and I recently have been doing some research on him with an idea in mind of publishing his photographs and some of his artifacts from the War.
I have the Lupao battle map which was drawn by T/4 Don Santee on 20 Feb. 1945, shortly after the action and was part of the book 165 Days which was about the 25th’s involvement in the Philippine Campaign. I also have a lot of previously unpublished photos that he handed down to me.
To make a long story short, your posts helped me understand where the 35th fought and how my Dad was involved in the battles through your excellent research. I have been on both the 25th’s and the 35th’s website and your information just enhanced what is currently on those outstanding sites. Thanks for helping even when you didn’t relaize you were.

Randall K. Garvin

Hi Randall,

You’re very welcome. I’m glad that my posts on the 25th Inf Div were helpful to your research about your father’s service in the 2nd Bn, 35th Inf Rgt. I am sorry to hear that your Dad has since passed away. With the information that you have, you could almost retrace your father’s steps in the Philippines campaign should you ever decide to visit there.

If you should need any help on further research just let me know - PM (private message) would be fine.

I have the [i]History of United States Naval Operations in World War II[/i] 15 Volume Set (Hardcover),by Samuel Eliot Morison, Castle Books, 2001. The series was originally published volume by volume 1947 until completed in the early 1960s. I bought my set through the Military Book Club for sale price of $150 (about $10 per volume)

And

[i]U.S. Army In World War II, 50th Anniversary Commemorative Edition[/i], Kent Roberts Greenfield - General Editor (1953) thru Maurice Matloff - General Editor (1972), The National Historical Society, 1994. Originally published by volume 1953 - 1973. I purchased my set volume by volume through the National Historical Society in the mid 1990’s.
(Atlas set included)

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94391&postcount=25

And thank you very much for the compliments. I really appreciate that :smiley:

All the Best,

George

My father was in the 11 Bombardment Group 42 Squadron. They went into the Pacific with Admiral Nimitz in 1942 who wanted AAF Bombers NOW!

They were awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for their action over superior numbers during the period of July to November 1942 in the Pacific Theater.

The photo was taken during this time in 1942 It is on Page 9 of the book “Grey Geese Calling” I have my fathers copy of the photo with the names on the back. He is in the front row center with the helmet at his feet.

This is the photo of the 11 Bombardment Group before the attack on 12/7/1941. My father is in this one as well, and the brother of a friend who was shot down a week before he was to return to Hawaii.

They are standing in front of a B-17. Several of the individuals in the photo were friends of my father and shot down moments after the attack began.

Robert Kelley is one, my father has this photo from January of 1941 then under that date he has died 12/7/1941

This is the complete 11 Bombardment Group 7 TH AAC before 12/7/1941.

This is the 11 TH Bombardment Group 1940 at Hickam.

One needs to get paid as well and I recently found my father’s old pay book.

I agree that is so sad. In 1972 we had a huge flood here in Pennsylvania. Our church volunteered to help families clean up and remove the mud from their homes.

Four of us helped an elderly lady who had a son that was an American POW in Germany. All she had were his letters, some had been damaged, but she searched hit and low until she found them.

Here are my fathers Dog Tags. I am saving everything for our sons. My mother moved into a Senior Center and she gave me everything Pop had. It isn’t much, but it belonged to Pop. To me that says it all!

Here are Pops Dog Tags,

1stthreegradesclub.jpg

1stthreegradesclubhickam.jpg

The 11 Bombardment, the 42 Sq. was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for their actions during July to November of 1942.

PresUnitRib.bmp (5.27 KB)

sevenarmyaircorpspatch.jpg