Walther War Machines big book of Soldier Knowledge

Strawman - yet more classic trolling behaviour. You modify the statement made by another member and then beat the hell out of it with irrelevant data.
The statement was that removal of stators (and all the engines you listed use stators) in order to use the same principle as a fan a vaneless gap of roughly 10 times the length of the stators would be required (IMHO - Man of Stoat thinks that is an insufficient length, and he may well be right). Given that you will be removing the stators and increasing the length, the total mass of metal will be similar hence the engine would be roughly 10 times longer for the same weight and similar specific power.
You then stated that this would be ridiculous (IIRC your statement was something like that this was the most ridiculous statement you had ever heard and I was incredibly dumb for making it) and that an engine of 10 times the size would be of something like 10 times the weight.

Now get back under your bridge!

Ludicrous! You have your wires crossed. A couple of you have been posting that crap in more than one thread to try to find a hiding place to peddle the false statements in them and create the impression that they are correct, because I responded to them in their original thread. I simply found them and responded. Why peddle them around the forum on different threads if you don’t want anyone to respond?

IRONMAN, if you’d bothered to read all of my post, you would realise that you had not addressed the point I made: That is, in the context of the overall engine, it is incorrect to refer to any part of the engine as a fan, except the rotating blades that compress air that will pass through the core and also air that will bypass the main engine. I also said that in the context of a single stage of the engine, you could use the word ‘fan’, although this would always be qualified with ‘compressor’ or similar, to prevent confusion with the fan stage. The term ‘rotor’ is preferred. I base this on having read an extremely large number of texts over the past year.

To help clear up the confusion, the sites you have referred me to are for non-technical people. The terminology they use is largely correct, but leaves a little to be desired. I believe this is how you could have incorrectly reached the conclusion that there is a stage in the turbojet know as the fan, when in fact this stage exists only in turbofan engines.

As for authoritative citings, go and read the following, as a warm up:

[1] Cohen H, Rogers, G.F.C., and Saravanamuttoo, H.I.H, “Gas Turbine Theory”, 4th ed., Addison Wesley Longman Ltd, 1996.

[2] Walsh, P.P., and Fletcher, P., “Gas Turbine Performance”, Blackwell Science Ltd., Oxford, 1998.

[3] Cumpsty, N., “Jet Propulsion: A Simple Guide to the Aerodynamics and Thermodynamic Design and Performance of Jet Engines”, 2nd ed., Cambridge University Press, 2003.

These books are definitive works on the Gas Turbine. They carry more weight than any website you could care to publish, including NASA and GE. This is because their content is technical in nature using accepted Gas Turbine terminology, not a rough explanation intended for the layman. Post all you like, but my sources ace yours in every possible respect.

And now to compare just how much we both know.:

I am a graduand from one of the best Aeronautical Engineering courses in the country. My dissertation was on an aspect of Gas Turbine performance. In less than a month, I will be submitting a paper for publication in an academic journal. This would suggest that what I say on gas turbines can be taken as true until shown otherwise. But, I have referrenced three authoritative texts that back up my claim. You have found some websites.

You have now questioned, rudely and openly, my truthfulness. So I am questioning yours.
I can believe you are 40, but if you are then you evidently stopped improving your social skills at the age of 7 or so. You scream and shout abuse wwhen someone disagrees with you, claiming that if their opinions differ from yous in any way, then they hate America.
You claim to have studied philosphy at college. This might be true, but I don’t believe you passed the course. You have not shown yourself to be neither able to understand another person’s reasoned argument nor construct your own reasoned argument in response. Your debating technique uses random abuse, gunfire noises and smilies. You quote out of context and refuse to accept that you have been wrong at any point, even after making the wild and stupid allegations that many people who know far better than you are ‘blathering’.

You are either:

1. A war-dodging liar, still living living in his parents basement
  2. A war-dodging f*ckwit, still living in his parent’s basement
  3. A group of bored teenagers trolling.
    Of course, you might be 1 and 2 combined.

I’ve pretty sure I’ve had Nick Cumpsty for at least one supervision - can’t remember for the life of me what he looks like though so my memory may be playing tricks on me. I’m certain he was in my college (PET) and I’ve been given lecture notes written by him anyway.

Particularly as several members of this site (Crab_to_be included) have done the lectures so understand the underlying physics and aren’t likely to make some of the dumb mistakes Ironman has been.

You wouldn’t have been in the Whittle lab this year would you? I was there this time last year (had JDD supervising me)

Oh, and the whole arguament about fans goes back to Ironman’s post below which I objected to:

There are two flaws with this - firstly no wartime US engine used an axial compressor, and you cannot “increase the number of fans” on a centrifugal compressor. Secondly, he appeared to be thinking of fans in the sense that they are used on desk fans - completely lacking an understanding that they come in rotor/stator pairs, and the fact that increasing the number of compressor stages will actually reduce the specific power of the engine rather than increasing it as he claims.

Unfortunately, the closest I’ve ever got to the Whittle Labs was punting on the Cam when I was about 15. I’m not at Oxford or Cambridge, but another reputable University. To give it away, I’ve been working closely with Rolls Royce Filton this year. I’ve been to Whittle Hall at Cranwell if that counts ;).

There were two excellent mock ups there - a replica Whittle Unit and a replica of Ohain’s axial flow turbojet. They’ve been motorised with cutaways, so you can see the moving parts move, which was a nice touch.

Go here to learn how small your brain is compared to the size of your mouth:

http://www.ww2incolor.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=6301#6301

Contains no information of any kind on the relative size of my brain and mouth. As a revolutionary thought, you could try entering into a discussion by posting reasoned arguments, not just posting abusive comments. Try again.

Hmm… not too far from Wales then presumably (over the bridge?)
Have you been to the RR Heritage site at Filton? It’s a while since I’ve been, but they’ve got a fantastic set of sectioned engines there, particularly the big piston ones. Going there was the first time I ever understood how a sleeve-valve engine worked (Centaurus IIRC) and the rest are pretty good too.
The main exciting unit we had at the Whittle lab was one of Parson’s original turbines he did his experimental work on in the department. Tiny little thing but a real piece of history - not often you see things that had that sort of impact. There’s a 1940s power station turbine too, but that isn’t nearly as interesting.

I’d like to propose an “award” for Ironman:

Most Accomplished Walt.

He has:

: Argued gas turbine design with an Aeronautical Engineer and 2 other MEng chaps
: Argued substantive patent law with a patent examiner
: Argued infantry tactics with a couple of ex-Inf types
: Argued about how the British Army uses its troops with several serving & ex Reg & TA types
: Argued wpns design with some people who are extremely well-read and experienced on the subject
: Said that Maj. Gen. Julian S. Hatcher was “wrong” about something that was in his professional competence, and “trumped” him with his USMC Cpl father’s opinion
: Argued linguistics with people who speak several languages

This is quite an impressive list of accomplishments, and I’m sure I’ve missed some out.

You forgot one aircraft maintenance engineer (AME) and FAA Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic

Jan

An Irish Aircraft Engineer? It does sound like a character in a joke, to be accompanied by an Englishman and a Scotsman.

Apologies for any offence here - the Irish economy is increasingly knowledge, information and high technology driven, giving the lie to the stereotypical stupid Irishman. Anyhoo, I believe Jan isn’t Irish, so he won’t be offended.

Tally ho!

Actually I’m German, but in the late 1990s Lufthansa was downsizing the maintenance base at SXF (Berlin-Schönefeld) and making about 300 engineers redundant, because they moved all Boeing 737 D-checks to an Irish company (Shannon Aerospace Ltd.). I was one of the guys affected by this move and decided rather to follow the work and move abroad than to go on the dole. I staid there for 2 1/2 years, until there were better paid jobs available again in Germany. During this time I passed the Irish Basic Aeronautical Engineering Certificate exams for Pressurised Airframe, Gas turbine engines and aircraft electrics. When Ireland joined the JAA system in 2000, I got my licences grandfathered into a JAR 66 B1. According to the JAA system you´ll stay for your whole professional life with the aviation authority which granted you the original licence.

Jan

Another one!

IRONMAN is currently busy arguing (with two users!) that the amount of drag experienced by a bullet is negligible. As an accomplished troll, he hasn’t said this directly, but dismisses my claim that drag can’t be neglected as ‘blather’. I say that this amounts to the same thing.

In case anybody bursts into tears, stamps their feet and screams for their mummy over this, I shall point out that this has been posted in the public domain in a forum topic frequented by IRONMAN, and as such is in no way behind his back. I’m tempted to PM him to tell him I have made a post referencing him, but that would veer too far towrds harassment, so I shall decline to do so.

It’s like fish in a barrel.

Apparently 3.25 is a bigger number than 3.30.
Well, a lesser troll would never have thought of arguing that!

Don’t forget the crux of the debate - that the elevation for maximum range is 45°, despite himself posting evidence to the contrary :smiley:

Its good to see that over the past few weeks of my absence good old 'Ferrous Homus" hasnt changed. Next he will be telling us the Moon landings werent faked!

Most of the issues raised in this thread!

Firefly, having also been absent for two weeks I concur with your post, Where have you been?

Not Garelochhead perchance?

This is good. his inability to understand the difference between hand grenade and an RPG is excellent. And the role eyes.
:roll:

…A hand grenade and an RPG are two very very different things. I dont suppose you would throw a hand grenade at a tank and hope it will explode? or would you… Should I go into it? Anyway, im sure allot other ppl here can explain it in more detail.