What is your favourite C-ration ?

I could care less about all of your worthless rants. Say what you like. Someone said Chiosin wasn’t what it was and asked how it was so, and I’ve provided that. I am however, quite surprised that so many of you contend to know so much about war and yet you did not know this. But then, what’s surprising about that? Lots of things are spouted by the Club that have no basis. Like the British having a nuke program, then it’s recealed (my be gleaming with pride) that they did not.

Anyway. I think i’ve contributed my share to this thread and scoffed enough at your apnty-mouth rants. See you in another thread.

By bye now.

(And you know from past experience what that means! I won’t be back to this one ever again! Have fun ranting behind my back!)

:wink:

Bye then. Glad youve been proved wrong yet again. See you in the Korea thread then.

Oh forgot to mention

TROLL POST

REASON

Only submitted to gain a reaction and once you have been proved wrong you move on to the next TROLL.

Your sorry justification has no meaning…

Once again Bye and thank for the non-contribution.

Back to C rations then, who here has eaten them, not me for one, but I would like to hear from anyone that actually has.

TROLL POST from IRONCHILD

Like the British having a nuke program, then it’s recealed (my be gleaming with pride) that they did not.

Reason - several references have been given to support the fact that the British did have a nuclear weapon programme. TUBE ALLOYS refers.

Your absolutely right, but true to form he has elected to withdraw from the TROLL thread where he has been proved wrong. Dont give him the satisfaction.

:lol: “das krieg ist fallen” for IRONING MAN!"

nice one hosie! :twisted:

I posted this earlier but it was lost in the clutter of irrefutable truths.

One of the problems the US had in WW2 was that they issued rations (K) to the troops but the troops did not bother to warm/heat them. The cumulative effect of this was a fall in operational effectiveness and attributed to combat exhaustion, trench foot and a break down in morale. Although the variety was good the constant cold food and lemonade powder took its toll. The UK rations on the other hand consisted of corned beef, sardines, soya sausages and compo tea. Self heating soup was also issued as assault rations so hot food could be available to the troops. The Brits also used central cooking to feed the troops even in the front line. One of the tasks of the CQMS was to deliver hot food to his coy even if it was only tea and biscuits.

Edited to add – based on Charles Whiting’s Siegfried the Nazis’ Last Stand page 151 also How to make war, James F. Dunnigan.

I had C rations in the early 80s. it was novelty more than anything, I do not think any was particularly bad but the quantity was a surprise with a box per meal and it was difficult to identify which meal was which. I also experienced US central cooking with a large pan (12x24x1.5 inch) of breakfast, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon and something else. It was all heated in the tins and served to troops. By this time MREs had come in to use. Our cook made packed lunches for use, normal stuff, one cheese one ham sandwich, one fruit, one clacky bar, one crisps and possibly an egg. The light troops with use got MREs one pack it would seem talking to them that that was SOP when they had a meal out, and no method to heat them. For some reason they did not have individual cooking kit. This lead to a problem on the first day of our field firing at Fort Hunter Liggett, when lunch time came the US troops with us lined up but had no eating irons as they are normally provided for them. They ended up having to borrow from the brit soldiers for two days until some turned up from their QM. They also had no maggot bags and we were all in tents in January in CA.

It was a revelation to the light troops to see the brits sit down at the first opportunity and brew up. One officer explained to me as he shared my brew that they mix the coffee and sugar in a ball and sucked it as they are not allowed to light a cooker and are not issued one.

Just to re-ignite this in case TROLLBOY comes back:

What are the objective measures of “viciousness” and “brutality”?

I guess that Chosin must get a 10/10 Tinnies on the Tinwalt Scale for both of these, cos his pa was there…

On this subject, there was a piece in the Daily Mail today about British rations being sent to New Orleans:

Official: RAF grub is the best in town…

These were the yawning, graveyard hours of a black sunday morning and a phone going off in a lonely office at the Defence Logistics Centre sounded like a salvo of guns. Some emails were lighting up, too. The duty officer scratched down the time, 4:21am. He read the messages carefully. They took some believing.

The US Government, through the defence and state departments, was asking for half a million British military emergency ration packs to be sent to New Orleans so thousands of refugees from Katrina would not starve. The Americans asking the British for aid! This had to be a first.

The order went through to the storage depot in Bicester, Oxford, in a couple of hours and the duty man there wrote that time down as well - 7.20am.

Trucks were moving the 4,300 calorie packs out by mid morning. A DC-8 jet charter landed at RAF Brize Norton on the same evening, was loaded and took off for Little Rock, Arkansas at 10am on monday. The US Army trucked its load to the sunken city.

So 50 hours after that call shook the Defence Logistics Centre outside London, there were people in Bourbon Street waiting for burger and beans, turkey and herb pate, vegetable soup chicken pasta, tea and lots more, all made in Portsmouth. Good healthy grub.

It was better than the food in the American Army’s ration packs. Tastier to. The joke about our army food died years ago. No one has it better now, that’s from the top.

Out there in Diyarbakir, Turkey in the Gulf War in 1991, furious rain turned the airfield into a mud pool and was still coming down in cold white sheets when the RAF kitchen crew opened up for breakfast.

The kitchen was in a khaki tent, open at one end where you queued for food in front of the stoves. Most went for the full deal, bacon, sausages, fried egg and tomatoes.

The airfield was where the mercy flights and air drops went from to feed a million Kurds chased into Turkey over the mountains by Saddam’s tanks. The Americans were hugely involved and had on Diyarbakir airfield fine looking dining huts and a restaurant sized kitchen, all shining steel and stainless, hissing water boilers.

Troops of any country in Operation Safe Haven could eat at either tent.

The rain kept raging out of an icy sky, running down the roof of the RAF tent and then all over the air crews and ground staff hunched in ponchos and lining up with plastic plates in front of sizzling breakfasts.

The powerful smell of a British breakfast, a true elixir, got sucked into the air stuck to the raindrops and spread all over the airfield. It flicked across the tastebuds of a US Air Force Colonel, the most senior officer on the base.

He turned, the way they do in adverts. His nose became a compass. It kept turning him towards a scruffy-looking tent with smoke coming out of a thin chimney.

‘Let’s go’ he said to officers who were with him. He pulled up the hood of his poncho, felt the rain dripping on it and stood with his boots in the mud, shuffling slowly in line towards the stoves with the Corporals and Sergeants and some British helicopters pilots. And me.

‘After you, sir’ many of the Brits said to him, starting to stand aside. He waved them back in line.
‘I’m alright here in line this morning’ he said.
‘Why are you over here, not at your own facility?’ they asked him. It made him laugh.
‘Have you tried one?’
No
‘Then tomorrow I’ll treat you to one.’ He also meant to say that you wouldn’t want to be treated again. ‘This is real food here, with a proper taste and a proper smell. This is what I’d have in my own home.’
A Corporal wiped rain water off the Colonel’s plate. He had everything, a mug of tea as well and carried his tray to a table further back in the tent. His staff went with him.

When he finished, he passed by the serving area again and told the chef it had been terrific.

Now, they had eggs and ham in the American kitchen too. It was cooked in a tea-chest sized block, frozen in Milwaukee or somewhere and flown straight to the stoves at Diyarbakir.

The cooks hacked off lumps, defrosted them and cooked them on mighty sterile ranges. The calorie count was spot on for survival in a combat zone.

Also, it tasted like wet tissue paper dabbed with furniture polish. Give a guy this for long and he’s going to desert. ‘That’s why the Colonel went over to your place,’ a much more junor office said.

I thought all Americans hated and made fun of British food, he was asked. ‘Not any longer, you’ve seen that for yourself.’

American rations come a million packs at a time in one great airlift. So did the eggs and ham.

The British cooked their food right there in the rain in a tent, and it was the best place to eat this close to the Iraqi border.

It wasn’t just the cooked food, the British ration packs were currency. The rate was one British to six American, and six packs bought you one American camp bed.

The French stuck to their own packs with a little solid fuel stove tucked in so you could heat up your small can of boeuf bourguignon.

Next morning the line at the RAF kitchen seemed a lot longer after the Colonel said to someone it was the place to eat in town.

LOL, reminds me of my Guhrka mate who always begged me to drive him to the APOD and the RAF Mess for lunch, 12 miles for a curry! Good old Brit curries, you cant beat them and very popular with the foreign contingent.

Wouldn’t they be a trifle bland for him if he was a Gurkha?

Wouldn’t they be a trifle bland for him if he was a Gurkha?[/quote]

2 things, it was all he could get, and he took along his own chillies!

His Mrs used to send them to him from Nepal, oh the fun we used to have in the Bar to see who could eat more than 3 in a row without drinking anything.

This used to especially catch the US and for some strange reason the Irish contingents…