What Messerschmitt Bf 109 variant do you like most?

Vorsprung Durch Technik
http://www.swannysmodels.com/S199.html

My favourite, in reality, probably of the worst versions of the Me Bf 109 to fly but good enough to do the job in the circumstances, which is all that counts.

Hals Und Beinbruch
Adrian Wainer

It’s pilots hated it.
How is it you deliberately choose the worst examples, the pilot-killers in aircraft?
Your choices are incomprehensible, unless one views them as being from a passive-aggressive pacifist standpoint, in which case why are you on this forum at all unless as a troll, as is rapidly becoming my view of you.

Uyraell.

Very frequently certain powerful snapshots are capable to bring together thousands of the thoughts able to change the hearts and minds of mankind, honorable ladies and gentlemen. Perhaps only through the photographic image can a widespread compassion for the human values be stated so instantly and with such a force. And one of those highly emotional, powerful photographs, without any doubt, is the next one, deeply connected with the main theme of this thread, which was taken back in 1969 by Mr. Robert Penn.

For the first time since 1940, Lord Dowding, former Commander-in-Chief of the R.A.F. Fighter command, visited one of his old airfields at Debden (Essex), to watch some of the filming of the “The Battle of Britain”. To commemorate his visit, R.A.F. pilots in the Spitfires and Spanish and American pilots in the Messerschmitt-Hispano Ha-1112 Bouchons put on a demonstration fly-past:

A moment of pure emotion – soaring above, historic fighters are paying stirring tribute to the genuine WW2 hero, Air Chief Marshal Lord Dowding

Perhaps only the mood-provoking quality of Longfellow’s poetry is capable to convey the emotions deeply embedded in this picture, a truly sincere tribute to an unpretentious man, but an extraordinary human being.

Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sand of time

Rest in Peace, Sir.

Nice picture Lib, however the Buchon is kind of anoyying , it simply cannot look like a Messerschmitt to me.

Nevertheless, my dear Mr. Panzerknacker, I think that if I had had a minor quantity of cash, as well as a significantly better eyesight, I should have had some fun with that old Spanish metal birdie. :smiley:

You see, if I had owned one I would have achieved some measure of worldly satisfaction in my life, some justification for having been around. :cool:

Sometimes I wonder what has become of the Modern Generation of rich men worthy of the name of the possession of wealth in our world. Once upon a time Leland Stanford, for example, was overjoyed to learn that the endowment of Harvard University at the time was only $ 25.000.000, so that he too could endow a university in California. The Vanderbilts thought nothing of building three or four entire Fifth Avenue blocks filled with French châteaux. Alternatively Ed Stotesbury, who announced that gold plumbing on his private cars was an economy issue, because it saved polishing. Where, for Heavens sake, are the August Belmonts, such as the first of that name, who spent an estimated $ 20.000.000 in ostentatious luxury in his New York home for the purpose of inducing apoplexy – as eventually it did! – in his avaricious neighbor James Lenox? Where is even “Diamond JimBrady, who once arrived at Saratoga for the racing season in a private Pullman with solid silver trucks and brake rigging, thirty five Japanese houseboys, and a gold-plated lady’s bicycle belonging to Lillian Russell? Not even to mention Howard Hughes, who produced highly intriguing machines for his personal use while designing a seamless push-up bra for his dearly beloved sport-shirt girl Jane Russell.

Unlike today, in those ancient times there were people who – one way or another! – had some real fun for their money, a laugh or so out of every million bucks they acquired. True, their pleasures were various: race horses, the endowment of universities, public bequests of Titians and Rembrandts, seagoing yachts, or first folios of Shakespeare. Admirable or deplorable, at least they had character and the best, not the worst, that money could buy like nowadays… :frowning:

However, enough with this empty philosophy. We have our distinct responsibilities in this thread. Therefore, here is another less known photo of our special metal guest star:

Bf 109 Ga 6 – RHUAF, Veszprem, 1944

I really do hope that you like that “classicistic” Messer shape. :wink:

really do hope that you like that “classicistic” Messer shape

I do, the MG 131E covers are somewhat ugly though, the better looking variants are the clean lined F and late “G”.

Oh, yet again that unfair Esthetik über alles approach, my dear Mr. Panzerknacker… I really don’t know why the general population always is somehow directly inclined toward those late G models, although early examples, like G-4, actually were much more esthetically comparable with that beauty - champion of the Bf 109 family – our dearly beloved “Fritz”. :slight_smile:

An early Bf 109 Ga 4 (Ga = Ausland, foreign country) manufactured by Magyar Waggon és Gépgyár (MWG) Győr

Furthermore, early Gs actually possessed some undeniable additional qualities as well. For example, this early Bf 109 G-4 produced in Győr (Hungary) for the Luftwaffe, possessed a more powerful DB 605, had no bulges in front of the cockpit caused by the larger MG 131 machine guns which added further weight and drag, and those well-known large bulges on top of wings were absent as well (those old 650 x 150 mm wheels initially still were used in production).

Yes, tail wheel was indeed larger (350 x 135 mm instead of 290 x 110 mm) and, alas, non-retractable, but retracting mechanism was absent as well thus decreasing the weight of the aircraft. New oil radiator Behr Fo 870 undeniably was a little bit more bulky, and new engine cooling scoops caused some drag too, but if truth is to be said, the cooling capacity was significantly increased and that new VDM-9-12087 propeller with the same old diameter, but with wider blades was completely able to compensate that previously mentioned aerodynamic distortion.

Therefore please, my dear Mr. Panzerknacker – take a test flight. I am assuring you that you will not be disappointed with this old birdie!

In the meantime, as always – all the best! :wink:

Oh, yet again that unfair Esthetik über alles

Well my mottto was “ordnung über alles” in happy times in wich I was moderator, since I am no longer I had to found others, the your sound good. Thank for the pictures and for explaining the stories behind them.

Aber warum so niedergeschlagen, meine liebe Herr Panzerknacker? :frowning:

Please, remember this:

Honor and shame from no condition rise;
Act well your part: there all the honor lies

Through the pages of this thread, we have invited people to new adventures in the study of history, of technological development and human achievement. If only couple of future citizens in our age gain a clearer understanding and a greater appreciation of our common historical heritage through the study of this thread, we shall feel well rewarded. :slight_smile:

Therefore, cheer up, my dear Mr. Panzerkancker, observe and enjoy the evolution of a threateningly functional, but potently symbolic industrial beauty, a masterly combination of visual flair and mechanical ingenuity, which, after all, demonstrated ability of human intellect to rise above the darkness of the animal part of human character.

Bf 109 G-14 RHUAF

And if you do need some poetic inspiration for your contemplation, here are some highly suitable rhymes for you:

[i]Kerzengrad steig ich zum Himmel, flieg’ ich zur Sonn’ direkt.
Unter mir auf das Gewimmel, da pfeif’ ich mit Respekt.

Wenn wir dann so oben schweben, mein Freund das ist ein Leben!
Da fühl ich mich wie ein junger Gott, Kreuz Himmeldonnerwetter sapperlot!

In der Luft gibt’s keine Räuber, kein Bezirksgericht,
und auch keine alten Weiber sieht man oben nicht.[/i]

A little bit more arranged variant is available here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TApHmRaVK1s

Therefore, cheer up, my dear Mr. Panzerkancker, observe and enjoy the evolution of a threateningly functional, but potently symbolic industrial beauty, a masterly combination of visual flair and mechanical ingenuity, which, after all, demonstrated ability of human intellect to rise above the darkness of the animal part of human character.

Hehe, you are a poet Lib.

Oh, thank you very much, my dear Mr. Panzerknacker. You know, as Wordsworth already stated:

Poetry is the spontaneous overflow of poweful feelings:
It takes its origin from emotion recollected in tranquility

However, real poetry for us implicates some color snapshots. And think that I have something colorful and perfectly suitable for this thread, but I don’t know exactly where that beautiful color snapshot really is. Therefore I ask you to excuse this unavoidable deleay which, I hope, will not put you to any inconvenience. :slight_smile:

Nevertheless, here is a technical drawing of the Bf 109 F from 1944:

Bf 109-F

There is just something about all the “E” versions that make them in a class of it’s own! Yes, I agree with librarian…they are legendary!!!

In that case, my dear Mr. Witbaas, here is a magnificent piece of modern digital art, which is completely devoted to the object of our mutual fondness:

Dolfo Galland - Anders Leyczak 2009.

Additional truly dazzling works of digital art, completed by this creator of radiant artistic testaments of the sensuous technical beauty, are gathered together here:

http://www.colacola.se/default.htm

In the meantime we remain at your service. :slight_smile:

Here’s a little video of a restored G-6.
I just LOVE that engine sound !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO9mEv5Ve54

enjoy !

Albeit the beasty has a bad reputation, I am still somewhat fond of the Me 209II V5 and V6.
Mainly because they are what the Me 109 should have evolved to in the first place, rather than expanding the late F models into the G models.
The 209II would thus have been a better gamble to shift production resources and facilities to, in say, August of '43.

Kind Regards, Uyraell.

Well…it seems to me that nobody within the OKL ever considered a possibility for a renewed and significantly improved standard Bf 109 - backbone, made possible by substantial advances in the technology of laminar airflow, engine design, organic chemistry and weaponry, otherwise completely available in Germany, but never directly anticipated or, God forbid, used for practical purposes due to almost incredible technological blindness within the high circles of power in wartime Germany.

Absolutely nobody, my dear Mr. Uyraell, considered the streamlined, slightly aerodynamically improved, but otherwise completely standardized Bf 109 fuselage, adittionally equipped with:

• new, significantly modified laminar-flow wing, outfitted with some supplementary wing-mechanization (blown flapses, automatic slats, etc.);

• contra-rotating VDM four-blade propeller;

• new Daimler-Benz 605 LASCM two-staged compressor + MW 50 equipped engine with 11.5 : 1 compression ratio, based upon the brand-new Wintershall Lützkendorf iso-alkanic A-1 fuel (70 % 2-2-3-3-tetramethyl-buthane + 7,5 % monochlor naphtaline + 7,5 % ortoxilol + 14 % methanol + 1 % methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl) and capable to develop up to 2550 HP!

• main armament of 3 X 20 mm Mauser Mg 213

Basically, my dear Mr. Uyraell, a nasty little bird like this:

Bf 109 P Preußen-Blitz

(profile by Helmut Schmidt - http://flyingart.twoday.net)

But back there at Berlin our dearly beloved hero and Oberbefehlshaber der Luftwaffe never gave even a slightest sign of consideration regarding these technological novelties… :rolleyes:

My dear Mr. Librarian,
That is the sweetest-looking Bf109 I have ever seen!
A beautiful aircraft indeed, and doubtless suitably deadly.

My deep and profound Thanks to you for such a fine treasure!
I’d be most grateful for any extra information and data you’d be willing to share.

Again, Sir, Many Many Thanks! :slight_smile:

Kindest Regards Librarian, Uyraell.

Oh, thank very much, my dear Mr. Uyraell. I am assuring you that nothing shall be neglected on my part to render myself fully worthy of your confidence. :slight_smile:

May I call your attention to this historical snapshot connected with our old birdie:

Maintenance of the Bf 109 E-4, JG 26 Schlageter – Audembert, November 1940.

My dear Mr. Librarian, your post #97 intrigues me.
Unless my eyes be mistaken, an E4-N in operational condition.
Why an “N” model? The propeller spinner lacks the hollow center for the engine-mounted cannon, which feature is common to only a few variants, notably the birdy depicted here, the H-o series, and (from memory) the F-o series.

And from S/JG26: part of Galland’s unit. :slight_smile: :smiley:

Many Thanks, Librarian, a pleasure to see this pic. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards, Uyraell.

Hawkeyes, my dear Mr. Uyraell! My sincerest congratulations – yes, it is the Bf 109 E-4N. And guess who the pilot was? Yes, you are right – Dolfo Galland in person! Here is another snapshot of the same bird ready for take-off:

Bf 109 E-4/N W.Nr. 5819 – Audembert, November 1940

I hope that this one will complete your collection of early and rare Bf 109 models. :smiley: