What Messerschmitt Bf 109 variant do you like most?

Nice model, in anoyying to realize how few are the photos of this variant in action.

There are a few in colour.A couple of Do 17z and Ju-87,quite a few of Ju-88 and only one of the Bf-109 E with Rumanian markings.
I don’t have a scanner unfortunately

Some Romanian Messers.

BF-109G-2

Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3 Grupul 7 Summer 1941

Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6 Grupul 9 cpt.av. Constantin Cantacuzino
August 1944

After many days, honorable ladies and gentlemen, I was able to find some less known photos connected with the Yugoslav Bf 103 E – 3s:

Bf 109 E-3 of the RYAF - unknown auxiliary field-airport during maneuvers in 1940

Official identification photo of the Yugoslav Bf 109 E-3 (Yugoslav designation: L 7), 1940

I think that I will be able to find some additional snapshots connected with this type as well.

In the meantime, as always – all the best! :wink:

Forgive if this seems a little “geek-ish” but the fact is the top speed of the G-series 109 was determined by the powerplant fitted, which could be anything from the DB603 LaIi, LA 1, 2, or 3; through to the DB605 DCM, DSM, ASM, ACSM, ASCMi, which was the whole point of the late G-series, motor and cannon interchange-ability.
Thus, a top speed range from approx 620 through to 680kmh is derived.
To answer the thread question asked though : the 109 Zwilling. Two 109F2 (some sources say F4) fuselages on a common mainplane with a common elevator.
Regards, Uyraell.

Well, after an exhausting library week, I think that I have something really interesting for this thread, honorable ladies and gentlemen. While doing some photo-research for another thread in our forum, I stumbled upon some thrilling snapshots coupled with the notorious film “Battle of Britain” (directed by Mr.Guy Hamilton), already noted for the excellence in reconstruction of historical events.

The contemporary documentary photographer does not think of photography as an art form, or his photograph as an art object. But every so often in this medium - as in any creative medium - some of the practitioners are genuine artists, and their work is not only a document, but also a pure art.

In this case, which undoubtedly is art, outstanding factuality was a by-product of a serious, well-prepared job, soundly and lovingly done. Outstanding still-coverage in promoting major film productions actually depicted the face of actual war – an assignment often nearly as dangerous.

This superb action photograph of a simulated WW II dogfight over England, with Hispano Aviacion HA-1112 Bouchon altered to look like the Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-3 was taken by 27 year old Mr. David James, and without any doubt it represents one of the most breathtaking aerial sequences in the whole history of the motion picture industry:

HA-1112 M1L Buchon disguised as the Bf 109 E-3, “Battle of Britain” - 1969

In an interview with “Photography” magazine back there in 1970, Mr. James described some of the headaches he faced in getting still coverage: “During a flight you only have one chance to get a dramatic shot. Just for a split second the combat planes hurl themselves into a shape which you recognize as a picture – miss and that is your day’s work down the drain. Sometimes we flew so close to the other aeroplanes that I could only fit a whole one into my viewfinder by using a wide angle. Jeff Hawke, the pilot of the B 25 camera plane, was marvelous at giving me what I wanted in the way of close-ups. I would say to him: ‘nearer Jeff, a bit nearer… down a bit… hold it… just a shade nearer!’ What co-operation! I suppose we were taking risks at the time, but you would never have thought it with such an unflappable character as Jeff Hawke at the controls, although the lack of space made very difficult for all of us.”

Indeed, sometimes bravery is what creates good snapshots. Another interesting point about this really excellent one is that although the Spitfire pilots were English, the Messerschmitts in this “battle” were being flown by Spaniards. “Connie” Edwards, a Colonel in the Confederate Air Force, was one of four Confederates to fly some of the Messerschmitts used in the film. Furthermore – he bought a dozen of 109s from the film company after filming had finished, and they were kept on his ranch in Texas.

Well, it seems to me that we were not as lucky as he was… :wink:

Absolutely beautiful picture, Librarian! I actually have the book of the making of the BoB film. NOT the novelisation of the movie, but the actual highlights of the day-to-day events in making the film. If memory serves, the author was Basil Collier.

Regards, Uyraell.

Thank you very much, my dear Mr. Uyraell. I’m glad that we both do share sincere appreciation toward that marvelous film, which won worldwide respect for the historically accurate status of an art. It was also an job of film-making of the first magnitude, and still is a piece of motion picture narration capable to take one’s breath away even today – a dramatic moment of aerial fighting, superbly and realistically recreated. :slight_smile:

One of the most moving moments ever captured on the film frame - directly connected with this outstanding movie - was a sequence when for the first time since 1940 Lord Dowding, former Commander-in-Chief of the RAF Fighter Command, visited one of his old airfields at Debden (Essex), to watch some of the filming. To commemorate his visit, RAF pilots in the Spitfires and Spanish and American pilots in the Messerschmitts have made an illustrious fly-past. Lord, what a moment that was! I have to admit that I was sincerely touched and remained with a tear in my eye…

Perhaps that outstanding color snapshot is not suitable for this specific thread, but I think that we will be able to find some appropriate allocation for it here on our Forum… :wink:

In the meantime, here is another one directly connected with our Special Guest Star – the Bf 109. This snapshot was printed in the notorious Hungarian wartime periodical “Magyar Szárnyak” (Hungarian Wings) No. 12 – June 1942 (p. 5). Exact location of filming - alas! - was not mentioned:

“Bf 109 - the most modern Messerschmitt machine on the Soviet Front” (probably the Caucasian sector of the Eastern Front)

Well, that’s all for today. In the meantime, as always – all the best! :smiley:

One of my favorite books is called:" Battle of Britain" the making of a film.
The book was copyrighted in 1969, with the writer being Leonard Mosley.

One of the illustrations is of a “Messerschmitt” in a 87degree turn, closely chased by a Spitfire. In one of the chapters it describes a visit on the set, in his personal Bonanza, by none other than (Former General) Adolf Galland. He took a flight in a two-seater with the head of the Spanish Luftwaffe, er, Airforce. In conclusion of the flight Galland made his famous inverted very low pass to show that he still had in those days (1968).

You know, you might just have the same book I do.
Memory was uncertain regarding Collier as the author.
Have not laid eyes on said book in many long moons, no real surprise when I have a few hundred, the current lot replacing but few of the earlier and now dispersed collection.
And yes, the illustration you refer is a stunner.
Many Thanks for prompting an aging memory:) (A HighSchool buddy had actually met Galland, some years later).
Regards, Uyraell.

Many Thanks for another gorgeous pic, Librarian.
The HighSchool (College, for those who speak British) friend who had met him, reports Galland as having said the 109F4 was by far the most pleasant variant to fly, and that by comparison, the Griffon engined 109J as used in the film was “tolerably good, better at least than the G4, even if harder to look at.”

Regards, Uyraell.

Oh, yes - those Gentlemen of the Old School were truly outstanding personalities indeed. I remember also an excellent color snapshot taken by Mr. Larry Ellis, which was really unique. As you know, ex-enemies in the air over England in 1940 - Wing Commander Robert Stanford-Tuck and General Adolf Galland - later became great friends. Mr. Stanford-Tuck in those times (late sixties) was a mushroom farmer at Eastry in Kent, while Galland was an aviation consultant and businessman. They both shared a great love of hunting, and it was at Eastry in that same year (1968) when Mr. Ellis photographed them on one of their hunting expeditions. That was indeed an delightful example that deep friendship can be realized without selling out one’s personal integrity. In those times, they were technical advisors on both British and German sides of the “Battle of Britain” film.

And now back to our beloved metal birdie. The very real idealism toward the Bf 109 F-4 variant, felt so intensely by numerous fighter pilots of the Luftwaffe, surely deserves some manifestations of documentary compassion. Therefore, here is another pretty unknown snapshot of the Bf 109 F-4, this time in Hungarian colors, taken somewhere on the Eastern Front:

Ammunition re-supply of the Bf 109 F-4, RHUAF – July, 1943 (photo taken by Kádar Gyula)

Enjoy! :wink:

Thank you a lot for this amazing pictures Librarian!
After a long time of inactivity, I want to offer you this
little gift. Nothing spectacular, but I tried my best. :slight_smile:

Pardon my ignorance, but what in 7 Thunders is an AGO/Feisler engine mount doing in an F4 that was made in either Regensburg or Augsberg?.
At least, these old eyes are seeing the picture thus, `tis quite a curiosity.
Cheers, and warm Regards, Uyraell.

Oh, not at all, my dear Mr. Sergej. The pleasure was mine. As always, you may rest assured that I shall do my best to find some additional photos. On account of the recent shortage of my free hours, I think that it will take a couple of weeks to execute this officially given guarantee. However, I hope that this slight delay will cause you no inconvenience. :wink:

Hoping soon to be favored with your esteemed company, as well as with excellent materials provided by you, we are all awaiting the favor of your early reply. :slight_smile:

Pardon my ignorance, but what in 7 Thunders is an AGO/Feisler engine mount doing in an F4 that was made in either Regensburg or Augsberg?.
At least, these old eyes are seeing the picture thus, `tis quite a curiosity.
Cheers, and warm Regards, Uyraell.

Oh, that’s not the only curiosity you will be able to see here, my dear Mr. Uyraell… For example - how about the Hungarian Bf 109 F-4 equipped with improvised Jabo bomb – rack (no, no - not the standardized F-4/R1 variant)? Or perhaps some… well, pretty peculiar non-German weapons fitted at the Bf 109 E 4? Unbeliveably, but they existed as well. And please, don’t worry - they will be presented here as well, just give me some more time…

After all, perhaps Mr. Kádar was mistaken… Or perhaps devoted and self-sacrificing Hungarian mechanics performed their demanding duties in accordance with the old proverb “Necessity is the mother of invention?” Who knows… That’s why we are here to discuss those knotty issues, my dear Mr. Uyraell. :slight_smile:

In the meantime, here is another personal gift for you – without any doubt, this photo actually was taken in 1942, although it was printed in the previously mentioned renowned Hungarian wartime magazine in April of 1943. I’m sure that you are recognizing that young fellow which is sitting on the side of that opened Bf 109 F-4 Trop canopy, while wearing the Luftwaffe Schieffchen:

Bf 109 F4 Trop, “Yellow 14” - W.Nr. 8693, 3./JG 27

In the meantime, as always – all the best! :smiley:

You, know, Librarian, it’s taken me days to rack the old noggin into some semblance of awareness… I do believe this is Douglas Bader, the day he asked to sit in the cockpit of a 109, and Galland, to the shock of his fellow pilots, agreed … subject to a Sidearm being held on Bader as he sat in the 109.

Now, I admit, in age one’s memory may at times slip a cog or two, and if this is the case, then I apologise aforehand. However, one excerpt comes into mind, and I cite Bader, if not quote verbatim:“As I was getting out of the machine, someone took a photograph”.
This may well be that same picture.

Warm Regards, Uyraell.

I believe the picture to be of Hans Joachim Marseille. One of his planes was 8693 with the number 14. By the way, the tail of that plane still exists in a museum in Germany. It was originally given to the family which in turn donated it to the museum.

Thank you kuuk, As I said, I was not certain, so am glad to know the info you give.

Regards, Uyraell.

Apologizing for the trouble occasioned, my dear Mr. Uyrael, I deeply regret my objective inability to tell you anything more concerning this intriguing subject prior to now. Simply, I was obliged to make an extended official journey through numerous governmental institutions, acquiring necessary approvals for vital funding for our brand-new, digitalized Library-storage. :roll:

However, I would like to add that Mr. Kuuk was absolutely right – the Bf 109 F-4 Trop W.Nr. 8693 indeed was flown by possibly the greatest fighter pilot of the WW2, Senior Lieutenant Hans-Joachim Marseille.

As a special tribute to this truly extraordinary talented fighter-pilot, I shall present here some lesser known photos, which were taken during his visit to the Messerschmitt factory while on leave in July of 1942. Here they are:

Captain Hans Joachim Marseille is tying his scarf before his flight in a new Messerschmitt machine – Augsburg, July 1942

Captain Hans Joachim Marseille is carefully observing the flight of a new Messerschmitt fighter plane while being accompanied by Messerschmitt factory test pilot, Mr. Fritz Wendel – Augsburg, July 1942

And now back to our main them in this thread. Fortunately, I was able to find some additional pictures of the Bf 109 in Hungarian service.

Riadóstart (Alarmstart)- Bf 109 G-6, 101. Vadászrepülő ezred (101st Fighter Group), June 1944

“Brave fighters are defending the capital of Hungary” - Bf 109 G-6, RHUAF – June 1944

I am still doing some research within those old magazines, therefore additional photo-results are highly probable.

In the meantime, as always – all the best! :wink:

Riadóstart (Alarmstart)- Bf 109 G-6, 101. Vadászrepülő ezred (101st Fighter Group), June 1944

Very interesting pic. Mod3 supercharger intake above half shrouded exhausts.
As I recall that was a late-model introduction, and it is indeed interesting to see same in Hungarian service. Most sources mention the 1944 “exports” without going to great detail.
Yet again Librarian, you produce wonders from the aether:)

Might add : Rare pic of Wendel himself. Seen only very few of him over the years. That man is a thread, himself.

Regards, Uyraell.

Nice video of Gallands special F variant with 20mm guns in the wings…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xj7Bd8BTMY

Muchas Gracias mi amigo:)
Very pleasing to see that.
Always been interested in that Galland view, of “better in the wings”.

Regardsm Uyraell.