What WW2 era firearms have you fired?

:smiley:

I dunno if he’ll be bringing it - let’s hope so 8) he did only let me fire 1 round with it, but it was lovely :slight_smile:

Hmmm… Interesting. This topic’s been up for quite a while, yet no appearance from the man who claims to have fired everything from a .22 to a .30-06 hunting rifle. Could this mean that he’s actually never fired, or even handled, the Garand and M1 carbines that he professes to be such an expert in the use and capabilities of? I mean, he’s said that the carbine design has absolutely nothing to do with the Garand design - how could we who have fired and disassembled both be so stupid to think that an almost identical (apart from the size) bolt and back 1/2 of the op-rod could be derivative?!? And yet, we who have also fired and disassembled the Ak47 and the MP44 are also so stupid as to think that the AK is not a derivative design?

Don’t worry chum, he’ll make something up soon enough.
:wink:

Cuts,
Just out of curiousity, is the Sten Mk2S as quiet as is always claimed?

I own as deacts (old spec, cockable and strippable, only bolt face and barrels ground off / welded shut) due to legal reasons in my country (almost impossible to get a collector´s licence for live firing weapons in my state. Though there is a legal provision, the civil servants, who are very much anti-gun, set the restrictions so high, that you´ll have to be a millionaire to afford all the safety measures required, e.g. how can you install a windowless room with minimum concrete wall thickness and a safe type door in a rented flat?).

1. SMLE No.1 Mk3
  2. P14
  3. Rifle No. 4 Mk2 (not technically WW2, but very similar to the No.4 Mk1)
  4. M1 Carbine
  5. Mosin Nagant 1891 ( the old version with the octagonal receiver, it still has the Czarist stamp on the receiver, though it got defaced by the Finns, who captured the rifle at some time)
  6. Sten Mk2
  7. PPSh 41
  8. Webley Mk6 .38 Pistol (Revolver)
  9. Enfield Mk.1* Pistol .38 (Revolver)

Due to legal reasons not assembled, but with some parts with a friend in another country:
Bren Mk1*

(In 2003 Germany changed the gun laws. Before you could buy deact parts kits (Barrel plugged, drilled and pinned, bolt face and firing pin groud off) of machine guns, but they had a few spot welds in various places to prevent assembly. Then they changed the law that you had to weld everything solid, with the gun smith stamping out the serial number and putting his own in place. I brought some pieces over to a friend in a neighbouring country. Our “Walt” (living history) group is currently working on a Dutch licence for blank firing automatic weapons, when we get it, I´ll bring the rest over and we´ll get it blank adapted (Hollywood internal adaption, not visible from the outside). Then it´ll be totally illegal in Germany, so it will stay in our group´s safe in Holland.)

I fired (with blanks):

Sten Mk3
Bren (various versions)
SMLE
Rifle No. 4

I handled (on loan)

PIAT
Vickers MMG
MG42
Garand
MP40
Spanish Mauser

I know how to strip and fix stoppages on:

Bren gun
Sten gun
M1 Carbine
SMLE
No.4
PPSh 41
Mosin Nagant
P14
Enfield pistol Mk1*
Webley Mk6 .38 Pistol
Vickers MMG

Since our group has good connections with the Dutch Army (we regularly work for the Dutch Army Museum), we are planning to have a range day with the Dutch military later this year (no date set yet), to live fire the historical weapons from their armoury.

Jan

It is quiet, about the same as the L34, and in common with the latter more racket is made by the bolt whacking backwards and forwards than the rd itself.

For something really quiet you should try the De Lisle.

Fired

No 4
Bren both 303 and 7.62
Thompson
Garrand
Webley revolver and it was still in service.
Very pistol
2 inch mortar
30 browning (Brecon)

Played with
PIAT belonging to a friend who collects weapons
WW1 German 13mm A/T rifle sitting in the corner of my front room, deactivated by BSA.
MG42 Re-enactment group had it on display loaded with blank for the public to play with.
Vickers (standing at the entrance to the mess)
Some WW1 maxims that IWM lost for a number of years.
Vickers K found in the oggin off Gib need a chisel to strip it.

Fired

Lee Enfield No. $
Very early “Long” pre-WWI Lee-Enfield as issued to the Home Guard (a bit of a cheat I know, but it had volley sights and everything :smiley: ).
Webley service revolver
Kar98
Springfield 1903 sans scope.
Colt 1911

Fiddled with:

Luger (deact)
P-38 (pre-ban)
Browning Hi-Power (although I don’t know if it was quite old enough)
Bren (deact)
Sten (deact)

Paltry I know but oppotunity isn’t what it once was, I’m particularly envious of my father who got to use live Brens and Stens at school in the CCF when the best modern cadets can offer is the straight pull SA80.

I have fired the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine. My father owns both.

…but you have been shown in another thread that the M1 Carbine is not a sibling design of the M1 Garand. You have even read the words of one of the weapon’s original manufacturers who stated that the M1 Carbine is not based upon the design of the M1 Garand.

How you can think it is after reading that is anyone’s guess. :shock:

Man of Stoat has fired (about)22 period weapons including the two you mention and handled another (18 all live) and played with 3 deacts.

You have fired two that your father owns. (that you studied in such depth as to believe them to be airsoft weapons!)

It is not impossible that he knows a fair amount about period weaponry than you! Therefore for you to question his knowledge is more incredulous than your assertions they are dissimilar.

As I understnad it the designs are more similar than those of the AK47 and MP44. that you assert are “kindred” weapons.

reign yourself in a bit when casting aspurions.

M3A1 - interestingly we also had a modern 9mm version - from Argentina I think, the name escapes me for the moment, perhaps Erwin can jog my memory.

M3A1’s were able to be converted to use 9mm Luger rounds by replacing the barrel, bolt, and installing the magazine adaptor to use British Sten magazines.

we have some of them in our army,as crew weapon,infantry uses fn fal,fap and steyr aug.we have some m-16 too,nice weapon.

years ago,the m3a1 was really useful,and i think it`s still good.

Erwin, just curuious, what is the standard issue weapon of thwe Argentinian Army? What rifle and what pistols do they use? Do you happen to know?

The standart is the FN FAL from belgium,but we did some modifications with it,the standart is 9mm pistol model of argentinian army,but we have steyr aug in our army,and some M16.

the mg is the MAG cal 7.62
the motar is the 80/88 mm (i don`t remember what of them)

Here’s one. It looks good. I like the lines of it.

It looks like some US police forces use this one with a shorter barrel:

I believe Belgian weapons are good. Browning is another good Belgian gun. Browning was originally a Belgian company, but I think they were bought by an American company. I could be wrong. Maybe they just have an company division in the US. Borwning shotguns are very popular in the US, and as you probably know, the US military uses Browning machineguns.

John Moses Browning was the most prolific firearms designer of the late 19th & early 20th century. He licenced many designes to other companies, in particular Fabrique National (FN) of Belgium (where he worked for a while - I have been in the office at FN where he died), Colt & Winchester.

The company which bears his name is still owned by FN.

He invented gas operation of firearms

Firearms designed by him include:

Most of the late Winchester lever-actions from the 1886 onwards
Colt 1895 “potato digger” machine gun
World’s 1st recoil operated shotgun
Colt M1911 pistol
Browning M1917 & M1919 MMGs
BAR
Browning GP35 Hi-Power
Endless improvements to shotguns

List of Browning’s patents:
http://sarg.ryerson.ca/~cmwilson/r2/notes/browning-patents.html

Browning worked first as an independent gunsmith, and made several inventions. His first big business partner was the Winchester company. Later Browning and Winchester had disagreements and at this time he was approached by representatives of the Belgian FN factory in Liege, who wanted to get the licence to build some of his designs for the European market.
This developed in a very fruitfull cooperation, in Belgium he got supported in a way he never was in the US, so that he could concentrate solely on designing guns without the additional bullsh*t.

Jan

Good information guys. But nobody answered my question. Do you know if Browning was bought out by an American company or not, of if they just operate a division of their company in the US?

AFAIK, Browning is still a trademark of the Belgian FN company in Herstal.
http://www.fnherstal.com/

Jan

the best are czechoslovakian weapons.