World War related bickering

Ah yes, wasn’t that the official job title of the Lord Privy Toast-Rack before he became Prime Minister?

the romans were the best when they were living,now,normally people thinks romans are the latins in the present,that`s obvious false,the latins now have differences obvious.

italians were cowards,romans were great soldiers,the italians have latins carateristics,romans are closer to germanics,but they`re too called latins.

anglo saxons have germanic origin,but they have some differences.

sometimes,the origin of the people means their personality.

the romans didnt build railways in india because they werent existing in that years.

well,i will learn some english to reply with words with coherence.

and largebrew,dont talk about 1982,and i will not reply,if i reply,you will dont like that

I know the Falklands is a sensitive issue, but the post highly relevant to the discussion. It’s impossible to discuss the air-to-air combat capabilities of the Harrier without mentioning the Falklands War. Try to be a little less prickly. If you wanted to take offence, maninblack was actually being mush ruder.

Thanks Crab, Erwin I was’nt trying to rake up the Falkands issue and no flag waving was intended. The topic was about a particular aircraft ie, the Harrier. The Harrier has been in service with UK and US forces since the 1970’s but it was’nt until 1982 that it’s capabilities where tested in real combat, the nationality of the combatants is secondary to the performance of the aircraft. If you where offended by my post then I apologise as no insult was intended.

Wow im impressed with the current UK-Argentinan relations on this thread. :shock: Way to keep it in control guys. Brownie points all around. :lol:

ok,sorry from my part

I was just telling Bush the other day that I needed another servant.

kerry rulez!!!

Who thinks the US military will fullt adopt the XM8? I have my doubts. It could happen, but the weapon is so far problematic. It is possible that they will adopt a weapon from Colt or someone else. Personally, I think they should stick with Colt.

There are thousands of miles of railroads in the US that are over 100 years old and still exist. :roll: As for language, Americans often have a hard time understanding what many English say because they use so very many slang words.

That is true. It is interesting to know that the people who live in Italy today are not exactly the same racially as they were in Rome’s day. many tribes who sacked Rome and migrated into northern Italy have left their genes with the people of the Italian penninsula. The Germanii (Roman name for the Germans), Scythians, Celts - all sacked Rome or at some time settled in northern Italy.

kerry rulez!!!

No he doesn’t he lost. :roll:

[quote=“IRONMAN”]

That is true. It is interesting to know that the people who live in Italy today are not exactly the same racially as they were in Rome’s day. many tribes who sacked Rome and migrated into northern Italy have left their genes with the people of the Italian penninsula. The Germanii (Roman name for the Germans), Scythians, Celts - all sacked Rome or at some time settled in northern Italy.[/quote]

yes! :slight_smile:

he still rulez,the problem is that nobody voted him,so,vote LaRouge

Pah! It’s our language so we English are allowed to put what we like in it. If you can’t keep up with it, invent your own!

<besides, English has been continually adding words since at least Anglo-Saxon times, so whingeing about not being able to understand “slang” is dumb - the very language is composed of it.>

Just out of interest, when did the Scythians sack Rome?

Edited for spelling.

Pah! It’s our language so we English are allowed to put what we like in it. If you can’t keep up with it, invent your own!

<besides, English has been continually adding words since at least Anglo-Saxon times, so whingeing about not being able to understand “slang” is dumb - the very language is composed of it.>[/quote]

Actually, the French contributed far more words to the English language than the English after William the Conquerer, and most of the slang that the British use are not in the dictionary of their own language, so they are not “added words”. If they were, then it would be true that the Americans and many others would have added more words to the English language than the English since 1066. Nobody is “whining” (you spelled that incorrectly) except you.

I simply made an observation. It was not a poke at you or the British, so have no reason to get twitchy. I gotta go now. It’s time to chill this pooter and cop some grub dude. I’ll save you some vittles if you bust a move with some Sam Adams to hang and rap diggin on the tube bro. :lol:

<besides, English has been continually adding words since at least Anglo-Saxon times, so whingeing about not being able to understand “slang” is dumb - the very language is composed of it.>[/quote]

Actually, the French contributed far more words to the English language than the English after William the Conquerer, and most of the slang that the British use are not in the dictionary of their own language, so they are not “added words”. If they were, then it would be true that the Americans and many others would have added more words to the English language than the English since 1066. Nobody is “whining” (you spelled that incorrectly) except you.

I simply made an observation. It was not a poke at you or the British, so have no reason to get twitchy.[/quote]

The OED does keep an eye on slang, and words that remain in use for a period of time are added to it.
‘Pete Tong,’ rhyming slang for ‘wrong’ was a recent example.
One of my favourites a number of years ago was the word ‘Lombard,’ an acronym for Loads Of Money But A Real Dickhead.

I believe also that when PDF27 wrote ‘whingeing’ that was exactly what he meant, although I could be wrong.

How exactly is it possible for the french to add more words to English than the English?
Im sure that it is possible but the sentence itself appears to be a bit of a misnomer and rather redundant, along the lines of “weapons being effective at their maximum effective range”

Im sure someone added words to the English language but once they were ours it doesnt really matter where they came form cos we can do whatever the Chuff we want with them, provided - and you are a philospher (even if the link you posted was to a drama school)
The cohesive - coherent debate will run and run, but accepted usage precludes confusion, the difficulty of course has been found whereby your primary usage of the wrod great is at odds with the OED’s.

also the use of your word “manuable” that has appeared in no dictionary I have ever found - there is making up meanings and there is making up words! both of which you excel at!

Whingeing - is what a small child does when it wants to go and play with the dog,
Whining - is what the small child does when the dog bites it!

they are differnet meanings!

Exactly what I meant (how the hell TW thought I meant whining I do not know!).

Lombard: a member of a Germanic people that invaded Italy in A.D. 568, settled in the Po valley, and established a kingdom.

He meant to complain, not to express great physical discomfort. So he meant “whining”, not “whingeing”.

Exactly what I meant (how the hell TW thought I meant whining I do not know!).[/quote]

He can read your mind !

http://www.ww2incolor.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5830#5830

QED