Argentine President Claims the Falkland Islands

It appears that Argentina did not learn anything from their previous butt-kicking…:rolleyes:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080402/wl_afp/argentinabritainfalklandsdiplomacy_080402201109

You call 650 dead butt kicking ??

pfff, is nothing compared with the 58 000 dead of the USA in Vietnam or the 2,5 million of Germany in WW1, and after that both countries embarqued again is very costly wars.

Why we cant do the same ?

In any case is the only thing in wich I agree with Fernandez-Kirchner.

That’ll be domestic problems at home again then…

DO you mean you can start the new war for Islands?:slight_smile:

No. He just wants to replay the old one. With a different result. :smiley:

After all, it’s in Argentina’s constitution that the Falkands belongs to them, so there’s no reason for anyone to object. :wink:

The First Transitory Provision of the Argentine National Constitution of 1994 stipulates:"The Argentine Nation ratifies its legitimate and imprescriptible sovereignty over the Malvinas Islands, South Georgia and South Sandwich and the corresponding maritime and island spaces, as they are an integral part of the national territory. The recovery of said territories and the full exercise of sovereignty, respectful of the way of life of their inhabitants and in accordance with the principles of International Law, are a permanent and irrenounceable objective of the Argentine people.”
http://www.argentina.org.au/malvinas_islands.htm

And here we go back to the old circular argument.

Why should Argentina be allowed to be independent from Spain, but at the same time not allow the Falklands to be independent.

When anyone can give me a satisfactory answer for this obvious anomaly I may believe it. Until then its little more than a whinge and a gripe because 26 years ago some tin pot dictator tried to avert his populations internal crisis by going to war.

Those 650 dead, and over 200 British can directly be attributed to the actions of the Argentinian government.

In fact, by all rights, the relatives of the UK victims should be able to sue Argentina for compensation.

The fact is, Argentina is incapable of seeing sense here and incapable of actually mounting any sort of operation to attack the Falklands. Its all bluster to invigorate the population by yet another flagging government.

I remain open to being proved wrong here.

Perhaps, Argentinians should wait a bit. Anyway the UK will collapse and get divided into Scotland, England, Wales and Nortern Ireland. England will be semi-Moslem state with the Shariat law. I heard some local Christian bishop had already supported the idea of introducing Shariat. The inhabitants of the Falklands will be happy to join Argentians under those circumstances.

So it’s okay to get 650 of your kids killed for an idiotic foray to distract people from the corruption and lawlessness of a dictatorship?

And of course the US suffered 58,000 dead, but then again, they gave death back in spades (not that I’m really proud of that particularly). But there was the ROV (semi-)gov’t asking for assisstance, whether they deserved it or not to the extent was given is a completely different argument. But I don’t recall panicked messages to Buenos Aries by Falkland Islanders asking for the great, benevolent fearless military leaders of the Argentine state to free them from the clutches of Prince Charles’ knobbly ears…

And then the Orange Revolution shall be ripe and the Ukrainians shall rule the world! I knew it!

And I believe the Bishop thing was about allowing Muslims to incorporate some Islamic traditions into court cases involving only Muslims. Something I think the Brit courts allow for every religion…

Agreed.

Now that I’m being serious, what I find most disconcerting is PK’s flippant approach in #2 to embarking on another war.

It’s not consistent with humanity or the way most civilised people want to go, nor is it consistent with his bleatings in other threads about how the British allegedly treated his soldiers during the war.

It’s distressing that at a similar interval after WWII and subsequent wars the people in many nations were resolved not to embark on a similar folly, but apparently Argentina is still hot to trot, if PK is representative of majority national feeling. I hope he’s not.

I think on that exact reason that allowed the USA to be independent from Britain, but at the same time the Phillipines are not allowed to be independent from USA:)

Mod Note: Thread temporarily closed while the discussion of all conspiracies Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, American Transcendentalist, Sikh, Satanist, Zoroastrianism, and any other world religion are directed here:

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?p=122005#post122005

Reopened

The Philippines are part of the US? Who knew?!

Getting back on topic: I guess one either believes that people ought to be subjugated, regardless of their geographic disadvantage, at point of a gun, or not.

In any case, the US gave the Filipinos their independence in the 1920s or 1930s…

Not quite. In civil cases (i.e. those involving disputes over money, property, divorce, etc.) British law allows both sides to choose to submit to binding arbitration. Both sides sit down with an arbitrator and between them work out a settlement that they must agree before they start that they will accept. Some communities - notably the Jewish one - have a religious court using their own religious laws performing this arbitration service, and this is what Rowan Williams was talking about.

What it was really about, deep down, of course was that the Church of England has about 20 seats in the House of Lords, and if religion is kicked out of public life totally will lose them. Hence Rowan Williams has common cause with various Islamists in wanting to see religious law at least paid attention to by Parliament. That isn’t going to happen any time soon…

Yeah, but it didn’t count because they got true independence in 1942 after the Japanese invaded and kicked the Americans out and showed the Filipinos true independence under Japanese occupation. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Is not okay to anybody gets kill, I just want to point that is not a terrible loss of life, the country will not disrupt. The same number or perhaps more young people get killed in here in a year with car crash accident caused by the combination of too late party and alcohol.

If the british want to place a lawsuit I think they are in his right, but probably they wont receive a single dolar.

The argument trying to ridiculizate the argentine claim saying that is a cover for internal problems is really laughable, of course to properly realize how ridiculous it sounds you need to be in this side. :rolleyes:

I have better, much better examples of campaings launched for cover of internal problems ( that did not happen in argentina actually) but again I will refrain to post it, i dont to cause unnecessary distress in this topic.

The simple fact is that despite war or not if a world leader if too annoyed by the Argentina claim he would have to erase us from the face of earth, ( that would be to kill 38 million people living here and 750 000 overseas) because the claim is not an invention of any politician but a strong feeling grabbed firmly in every argentine mind and heart.

You didn’t mention Scientologists.

Hardly surprising, because the ones you mentioned are all conspiring against Scientology.

Clearly discriminatory against Tom Cruise, John Travolta and others committed to believing in spaceships 'n stuff.

I know this because my E meter just told me.

This is why the mods on this forum suck, because if they weren’t so narrow minded we’d have the likes of Cruise and Travolta posting here about inter-galactic wars millions of light years ago, and that’d be, like, you know, really cool and good karma and blow my E meter. And stuff. :smiley:

Thank you for your clarifications. I was going to find the article but have been side tracked. In any case, I recall a similar thread at another board not too be named in which it was presented in the typical decontexualized fashion and hyped…

Don’t bet on it.

Your country has no experience in living memory of a sustained war outside its borders.

You mentioned the American losses in Vietnam. They were about 100 times yours, over a gradually increasing period of roughly ten years where yours were over a few weeks.

America has recovered rather better from its much worse military, political and social experience than you have from yours, if you represent general Argentine attitudes.

One consequence of your brief experience was that you did not experience the questioning and social and political turmoil which came from being involved in a war which seemed to be going nowhere for years, although your war went spectacularly nowhere in a few weeks

Another consequence is that, if your views are representative, you can maintain the illusion that you were somehow unfairly deprived of a just victory because you never had to experience the self-examination which comes with long involvement in a war which seems to be going nowhere.

The views you express are reminiscent of the post WWI German ‘stab in the back’ attitude, that if only things had been different (such as the British not ‘unfairly’ sinking the Belgrano) you would have won. So you still cherish the belief that you’re still a contender entitled to a return bout with the world champion, despite getting knocked unconscious and taken to hospital in the fifth of fifteen rounds.

The fact is that, unlike many of us on this board from both Allied and Axis nations from WWII and from involvement in subsequent conflicts, your nation doesn’t have any experience of total war or modern war, apart from the Falkands which you think was somehow run unfairly by the enemy.

Argentina’s brave declaration of war on Germany a few weeks before the end of WWII, while Brazil was fully committed to the Allied cause and put a proficient division into Italy, and the post-war exodus of Nazis to Argentina, says all that needs to be said about Argentina’s experience of a serious war.

And I still find your off hand attitude to deaths in war disconcerting. As 1000 YS has pointed out on several occasions, you’ve not been in combat and you’ve never even served. Most men who have served and been in serious wars don’t want to see anyone else endure it.

But I bet you see yourself as the flag bearer leading the charge up the beach to reclaim the Malvinas. See how much your nation values you a few years later when you want a new tyre for your wheelchair.

You might enjoy this thread which turns into something of a debate with a supposed Scientologist (even though they aren’t allowed on the internet).

Starts on post #16 and goes all the way too the bitter end…

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23209