FIFA World Cup

Since I correctly put this in the Off topic forum, I trust it is acceptable to say that this thread is about knowing which Soccer team you all want to win the World Cup. Please share with us who you want to win and any memorable moments between any matches .
I personally want GERMANY to win. Yeaaa!!!:mrgreen: Did you guys see the Slaughter on Monday? It wasn’t a game. It was a Slaughter!!..I couldn’t believe my eyes! And what was that head but thing about?. I mean Pepe has lost it. I am a little disappointed in Ozil as he had a chance on goal and missed it. What happened to Sweinsteiger? Is he not in the game anymore? Anyways I hope Germany goes all the way! I am so excited. I wish Canada was in the game. We all know USA and especially Australia doesn’t have a chance, but then again even a blind rooster finds a corn or 2. All the best to all teams and may the victor be decided!!:lol:

Schweinsteiger has just recovered from a serious injury and isn’t on his best yet. Özil is an overrated mercenary and shouldn’t be part of the team in the first place.
My guess Brazil will win their sixth star…

The only one to respond…figures…an European who values a true sport:):)…anyways I am watching the game right now and Cameroon has not got a chance!!! Croatia will Rule!!..Mark my words!!! God Bless Fifa!!!

2-ZIP already …I told Ya I told Ya!!!The Herman Meister knows what he is talking about!!!
then they miss one 2 minutes later…oh brother!/…Where is Bert Traudmann (Bert the Kraut) when you need him!!!

3-Nil now!LOL…it doesn`t get any better!!! Das stimt!!!Go Croatia Go!!!

4-nill!!!.What the!!!..I can`t believe it!!!..can they do 5!!!..I love Croatia!!!Anybody know the score on the Australian game…

I swear this was the best game of the tournament. If they only put the goal net on the top of the stadium…then maybe Cameroon would have scored one…hahaha. But Why I ask You, WHY, does Croatia keep freezing when they get to the net. i swear, the acore would have been 9-nil if they only stopped freezing everytime they get to the net,but nonetheless a great game.
My prediction for the World Cup is still GERMANY!!!. We may lost the war but we will win the Fifa cup…I wish I could sing the Horst Wessel song…

“The Spanish Armada
Was blown off its course,
Far to the north-west of Rockall …”

The Spanish team may as well have been “far to the north-west of Rockall”, this time around. Sad demise of a great side.

Croatia and Chile look pretty solid. It will be interesting to see how far they go.

Worst game so far - Nigeria v. Iran. Absolutely dire. Little African “fire” in general so far.

Who will win ? On evidence to date, Germany and the Netherlands have strong claims. Mind you, it has been suggested that Brazil have not really arrived at the tournament yet. This Brazilian team, unlike some of their great predecessors, have something of a reputation as slow starters. We shall see… Best regards, JR.

Brazil looks tough!..Did you know the fifa cup is worth $1o million as it is 7kg of 75% solid gold!! Interesting eh!!!

Probably if you gave it a good scratch, you would find that it was actually made of lead with a gold wash - like the Maltese Falcon (which it sort of resembles, actually). I am sure that Mr Bladder and his cronies have much better uses for $10 million than wasting it on trophies. Brown envelopes and Swiss bank accounts might be involved … Definitely Just Kidding, M’Lud, JR.

The Fifa cup is made of 5 kg of 18 K gold with some green Malachite inlaid. This trophy is not presented though, copies which are Gold plated are presented to the winning team.

Today’s prices for gold show 5 kg of gold at 99.5% purity (vs the 18 carat, or 75% purity of the trophy) would sell for only $212,243.15 (US dollars). http://www.goldpriceoz.com/gold-price-per-kilo/

So much for the stuff that dreams are made of. Not a bad piece of change, but still hardly $10 million. Whether “art” value or the Malachite makes up the difference from the $10 million figure is a question I’ll leave to others.

;)“England Expects …” Admiral Lord Horatio Hodgson goes down with the Sinking Ship (Sao Paulo, last night) -

kind-hearts-coronets-admiral.jpg

(from Ealing Studios’ “Kind Hearts and Coronets” - Admiral Sir Horatio D’Ascoyne goes down with his ship, having caused its sinking through making a stupidly irrational order and stubbornly sticking to it; an incident based on the real-life event of the sinking of the HMS Victoria, flagship of the British Med. Fleet, a disaster caused by the… er … inexplicable orders of Fleet Commander, Vice-Admiral Sir George Tryon. His ship crashed into the Second Flagship and promptly sank, taking the Admiral and some 350 men to Davy Jones’ Locker, 22 June, 1893). Best regards, JR.

Were not talking about the melt value. If you take your grandmothers bracelet in for an appraisal, it will be much higher than the melt value. If your not into soccer then you can’t appreciate the World Cup. Over 2 billion people watch it, yet it would be nice if you could put some input into who you want to win, and maybe comment on a game you watched.The cup is worth $100 million to me and $10 million on the market. Do you have a favorite team? I can’t believe Greece didn’t get any goals last night. I know Italy will win today. I can’t wait!!!Go Italy Go!!!p.s. The designer of the cup was Italian…I feel bad for England…Do you guys think that guy I think is name is Rooney…is he like the new bend it like Beckham star on the England team?,he looks kind a old…?

Agree about the lack of importance of “melt value”. Interesting, though, that the “real” trophy is not actually presented. Does this make it any less likely that it is actually a “Maltese Falcon”, with the savings on actual gold lost somewhere in the Bladder ? (Just kidding - or commonly abusing, perhaps …). As for Wayne Rooney - he has been around for a while, in the main, helping to prop up the failing fortunes of Manchester United. Not another Beckham, in my humble opinion - but pretty good on his day (despite no obvious presence of a brain). England are, effectively, gone, and I am sorry to see that - but this is definitely the weakest England team to go to the World Cup finals in recent times. Unusually, most English fans seem to agree on this point. Fortunately, this has not stopped some of them from having a high good time in Brazil. Best regards, JR.

No, I used to enjoy playing soccer, but I don’t watch or follow it. I don’t know if its the same place you saw your $10 million figure, but I saw it in a sports article. They also said – as your own post also demonstrates – that such value was undoubtedly greatly inflated by “fan appeal.” Meanwhile, let me know if you ever get your $100 million. If you advance me 10-15% of it, I’ll see what I can do, and you can pay the balance on delivery. :wink:

Last I heard, Costa Rica were 1-0 up on Italy at half-time. Could the miracle happen ??? Doubt it.

Yours from the Three Lions,

JR.

Actually, No … JR.

Seems the Europeans do not stand a chance against South Americans so far…

Are Coca leaf salads part of the S.A. training table? :mrgreen: