FIFA World Cup

Oh Please!!.. Germany will dominate and win the cup this time around and you know it. I have 2 German flags on my car. Last world cup I only had 1, but this time I am confident. Even Holland is kicking ***. The Europeans have discipline and structure. I know it was a BIG disappointment to see the Swiss lose today but France looks strong. Damm good game with France. Tomorrow at 3pm the Fatherland is playing so pls stay tuned for my commentary when Germany scores 1-2-3-4-5-maybe 6 NUL!!!

Well you must love the Stanley cup so do I and i value it just as much…The thing about the World cup is that it brings the world together for what I hope is a good thing to watch good spirited competition AND IT HAS LESS COMMERCIALS than the Olympics:):):slight_smile:

I really don’t care to follow any sort of sports, but this is worth watching. http://youtu.be/BDS8Cdu-QdY

Maybe…but last time I checked Ghana was not located in South America…

I’m actually quite hoping that Costa Rica beat us in our final match - the England team deserve to lose by a whitewash, and it would be fun to see the Italians go home as well…

I thought Ghana was in Africa. Holy shit! Anyways, I must admit they were damm good and gave the Germans a run for the money, Ghana impressed me. They were like lightening , so fast. When Germany scored the first goal I was so excited but then Ghana scored and scored and it was like a rock sunk in my stomach. It was so lucky Germany could manage a tie game. I must admit I was over zealous about Germany. My hat goes off to you Ghana, Fine dam game. Schweinsteiger is back in the game now. Although he came in near the end, he did pretty well. I think Ozil did good to. He is fast too. Later I watched the Nigerian game play against the Bosnians and you gotta admit, there is NO COMPARISON between their style and the style of Ghana and Germany. The technique, the speed etc, it was all lacking in the Nigerian game.Too bad the Russians aren’t playing against the Americans. It would be nice to see them square off like the way they do in hockey. Deep down I think Flamethrower guy is wright. Brazil will probably win as they have home town advantage, are use to the humidity and have a history of winning more Fifa’s than the Germans, BUT, I will prevail and stay loyal to my roots and root for Germany,yeaaa!!!..Let the Games continue!!

Aren’t you American??All I read is that your from CAMRA. Where is Camra??If your from England then how come you write so good. You write so Americanish?(:slight_smile:

Not so much where as what. The British Territorial Army (now rebranded as “Army: Regular and Reserve”) for some years had the (very poorly deserved in reality) reputation of being a dad’s drinking club with a gun problem, and I was in it when I first joined the forum (I later left to get married, having done six years).
As for the syntax and word choice, I’d say it’s overwhelmingly English - but as my wife is from New Jersey certain linguistic peculiarities are bound to creep in.

cheers.gif

Always assumed that CAMRA stood for “Campaign for Real Ale” - a very estimable pursuit, in my humble opinion, even though I no longer drink the stuff. So far, this tournament continues as, overall, perhaps the best World Cup finals I have seen (going back to Mexico, 1970, which was pretty bloody good). Hope the later stages live up to the standard. Go on Netherlands … JR.

Brazil qualify from their Group - but still look surprisingly unimpressive, and very heavily dependent on one player of slightly dubious fitness. They may still win the competition - but I suspect that they need to shake themselves up, and quickly. Overall, the tournament continues to be entertaining, with plenty of goals. May that continue. Sorry to see USA going home - they made a very brave effort and have, perhaps, been a bit unlucky. Best regards, JR.

Aren’t you a little hasty on this one?

I know what you mean on 2 sides. No 1, USA unfortunately have no history at the FIFA cup,…BUT the fact that they are being trained by the German Henchman of the coach for Germany doesn’t go unnoticed. I wish USA all the best but I think the German coach and the USA coach are going to agree to do a boring game so they can all advance. I am so MAD that Italy lost!!!, and why the hell is Ireland not in Fifa!. I am so depressed until Thursday when I find out if it will be a fight to the win or a boring game based on points. And why the hell was Marachino given a REd card…That Sucks!!

I suspect the Americans and Germans might have a few beers on the sidelines while playing kick-the-ball for a bit, despite both giving assurances of the contrary… :mrgreen:

Luis Suarez goes into a restaurant. “Dinner, Sir ?” asks the waiter. “Yes,” replies Luis, “I’ll have the Italian …”.

Luis Suarez shows his famous gnashers, allegedly applied to the shoulder of Italy’s defender Chiellini in last night’s match. If (as seems highly likely) Suarez is thrown out of the tournament for this, his (probable) third biting incident in top level football, the tournament will be the poorer for it, and the prospects of his country, Uruguay, of advancing will be seriously compromised. What a stupid, stupid thing to do … JR.

:roll:

Out of the game is one thing, but thrown into jail may be more fitting. Not knowing the laws of whatever Country he was in when he did this, its hard to say what the legal ramifications will be. Perhaps being forced to wear a Hannibal Lecter mask while playing until his Fate is decided would be a good idea. I can’t imagine a Team whose management would allow someone so lacking in control to remain on their roster. (Well, actually there are a few Nations who might countenance such behavior, but you get what I mean.) Further, I hope the man he bit isn’t favored in any way by the Cosa Nostra, or Suarez may have the nickname “Gummer”

Klinsmann keeps telling there will be no truce, it would not match “ze American fighting spirit” anyway.
Don’t know if this is still well-known outside of Germany but we had a similar situation in the World Cup of 1982 in Spain which resulted in what today is known as- “Die Schande von Gijón” (The Shame of Gijon).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germany_1–0_Austria

There’s been quite a few write-ups on it here, which is why Klinsmann (the Cali-German :mrgreen:r ) is saying this. I think the German coaches are saying the same thing. But it should be noted that a lot of the American players play in Germany or have some German affiliations (i.e. wives, mothers, etc.)…

Guys, Seriously, Germany is playing USA tomorrow. What I find extremely Ironic is that on my way to work today, I finally, FINALLY, ACTUALLY found a car with an American Flag!..There was the usual Brasil and Greek Flags and the odd German Flag, but I ask you, why are us Canadians who live next door to USA not more proud and support USA???..I mean, I love Americans and I sometimes wish they would invade us so we could enjoy what they have. So when I saw this guy with an American flag waving from his care, I beeped my horn and gave him a thumbs up! America is my neighbor, yet I have only seen one flag and it made me realize that we underestimate our locality to our Big Brother. All the best America tomorrow and although I want Germany to win (because of my roots), I support USA for their zest.