Fighting at Aleppo, Syria

C.I.A. Said to Aid in Steering Arms to Syrian Opposition
By ERIC SCHMITT
Published: June 21, 2012

WASHINGTON — A small number of C.I.A. officers are operating secretly in southern Turkey, helping allies decide which Syrian opposition fighters across the border will receive arms to fight the Syrian government, according to American officials and Arab intelligence officers.
Related

The weapons, including automatic rifles, rocket-propelled grenades, ammunition and some antitank weapons, are being funneled mostly across the Turkish border by way of a shadowy network of intermediaries including Syria’s Muslim Brotherhood and paid for by Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar, the officials said.

The C.I.A. officers have been in southern Turkey for several weeks, in part to help keep weapons out of the hands of fighters allied with Al Qaeda or other terrorist groups, one senior American official said. The Obama administration has said it is not providing arms to the rebels, but it has also acknowledged that Syria’s neighbors would do so.

The clandestine intelligence-gathering effort is the most detailed known instance of the limited American support for the military campaign against the Syrian government. It is also part of Washington’s attempt to increase the pressure on President Bashar al-Assad of Syria, who has recently escalated his government’s deadly crackdown on civilians and the militias battling his rule. With Russia blocking more aggressive steps against the Assad government, the United States and its allies have instead turned to diplomacy and aiding allied efforts to arm the rebels to force Mr. Assad from power.

By helping to vet rebel groups, American intelligence operatives in Turkey hope to learn more about a growing, changing opposition network inside of Syria and to establish new ties. “C.I.A. officers are there and they are trying to make new sources and recruit people,” said one Arab intelligence official who is briefed regularly by American counterparts.

American officials and retired C.I.A. officials said the administration was also weighing additional assistance to rebels, like providing satellite imagery and other detailed intelligence on Syrian troop locations and movements. The administration is also considering whether to help the opposition set up a rudimentary intelligence service. But no decisions have been made on those measures or even more aggressive steps, like sending C.I.A. officers into Syria itself, they said.

The struggle inside Syria has the potential to intensify significantly in coming months as powerful new weapons are flowing to both the Syrian government and opposition fighters. President Obama and his top aides are seeking to pressure Russia to curb arms shipments like attack helicopters to Syria, its main ally in the Middle East.

“We’d like to see arms sales to the Assad regime come to an end, because we believe they’ve demonstrated that they will only use their military against their own civilian population,” Benjamin J. Rhodes, deputy national security adviser for strategic communications, said after Mr. Obama and his Russian counterpart, Vladimir V. Putin, met in Mexico on Monday.

Spokesmen for the White House, State Department and C.I.A. would not comment on any intelligence operations supporting the Syrian rebels, some details of which were reported last week by The Wall Street Journal.

Until now, the public face of the administration’s Syria policy has largely been diplomacy and humanitarian aid.

The State Department said Wednesday that Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton would meet with her Russian counterpart, Sergey V. Lavrov, on the sidelines of a meeting of Asia-Pacific foreign ministers in St. Petersburg, Russia, next Thursday. The private talks are likely to focus, at least in part, on the crisis in Syria.

The State Department has authorized $15 million in nonlethal aid, like medical supplies and communications equipment, to civilian opposition groups in Syria.

The Pentagon continues to fine-tune a range of military options, after a request from Mr. Obama in early March for such contingency planning. Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told senators at that time that the options under review included humanitarian airlifts, aerial surveillance of the Syrian military, and the establishment of a no-fly zone.

The military has also drawn up plans for how coalition troops would secure Syria’s sizable stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons if an all-out civil war threatened their security.

But senior administration officials have underscored in recent days that they are not actively considering military options. “Anything at this point vis-à-vis Syria would be hypothetical in the extreme,” General Dempsey told reporters this month.

What has changed since March is an influx of weapons and ammunition to the rebels. The increasingly fierce air and artillery assaults by the government are intended to counter improved coordination, tactics and weaponry among the opposition forces, according to members of the Syrian National Council and other activists.

Last month, these activists said, Turkish Army vehicles delivered antitank weaponry to the border, where it was then smuggled into Syria. Turkey has repeatedly denied it was extending anything other than humanitarian aid to the opposition, mostly via refugee camps near the border. The United States, these activists said, was consulted about these weapons transfers.

American military analysts offered mixed opinions on whether these arms have offset the advantages held by the militarily superior Syrian Army. “The rebels are starting to crack the code on how to take out tanks,” said Joseph Holliday, a former United States Army intelligence officer in Afghanistan who is now a researcher tracking the Free Syrian Army for the Institute for the Study of War in Washington.

But a senior American officer who receives classified intelligence reports from the region, compared the rebels’ arms to “peashooters” against the government’s heavy weaponry and attack helicopters.

The Syrian National Council, the main opposition group in exile, has recently begun trying to organize the scattered, localized units that all fight under the name of the Free Syrian Army into a more cohesive force.

About 10 military coordinating councils in provinces across the country are now sharing tactics and other information. The city of Homs is the notable exception. It lacks such a council because the three main military groups in the city do not get along, national council officials said.

Jeffrey White, a defense analyst at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy who tracks videos and announcements from self-described rebel battalions, said there were now about 100 rebel formations, up from roughly 70 two months ago, ranging in size from a handful of fighters to a couple of hundred combatants.

“When the regime wants to go someplace and puts the right package of forces together, it can do it,” Mr. White said. “But the opposition is raising the cost of those kinds of operations.”

Neil MacFarquhar contributed reporting from Beirut, Lebanon. Souad Mekhennet also contributed reporting.

NYTimes.com

Thats true but Usa forces to Turkey for helping to aid syrian opposition.
You are an american right man? So you should know that project as call Big Middle east Project?
For make this project real Usa supported Turkish goverment and their neo light islamic party. This political party is goverment for 11 years and they changed Turkey’s chemistry. I hope u understand what i meant. We become enemy with all of our neighbours.(Syria, Iraq, Iran…) So who is guilty? I really dont know…

Yes I am an American and am somewhat vaguely aware of Turkish politics. But a Syrian gov’t using heavy military weapons on its own people and population centers cannot be right…

If you are an american then you should know better than me about usa aim over syrian?
Thats clearly open Usa wants a war against to syrian.Okay i can understand that coz this act is not new for me but they want to use Turkey for syrian war. Coz this is part of big project. After syrian next goal is iran then Turkey. So i dont want my country use by usa but cant do anything coz my goverment is slave of Usa…

A lot of it is public opinion driven after seeing images of massacred Syrian dissidents in cities like Homs. Most people, even those like me who do not favor direct involvement, don’t like to sit by and watch ethnic majorities get slaughtered by their ethnic minority regimes… IMHO

Thats clearly open Usa wants a war against to syrian.

Then why are we not at war? The Assad regime of thugs has certainly provided enough pretext.

Okay i can understand that coz this act is not new for me but they want to use Turkey for syrian war.

That’s interesting, because it seems to be your gov’t that has done the most to aid the Free Syrian Army as well as the refugees. It’s the Turkish gov’t that has called on NATO to respond to the downing of one of its RF-4’s and repeated attempts to bring down other Turkish aircraft not flying in Syrian airspace. The US’s/NATO’s response has been rather tepid actually…

Coz this is part of big project. After syrian next goal is iran then Turkey. So i dont want my country use by usa but cant do anything coz my goverment is slave of Usa…

I can’t answer conspiracy speculations devoid of any evidence when indeed there is quite the evidence to the contrary. But you’ll believe what you want to believe nevertheless…

As for your gov’t being a “slave” to the US, I can assure you that there was a very nervous mood here when the “Neo-Islamicist” gov’t was first elected–hardly “our” choice for a modern European nations’ gov’t…

War will start after american elections.
So do you think that why did syrian start to kill some people in syrian without any reason? It started almost one year ago, but before one year in syrian there were no crime as today? Maybe we have to ask Turkey and USA.

You think that Turkey acts freely about Syrian? Wish you could know more about usa - Turkey relationships…
Turkish goverment and their syrian politica felt down, we all saw how did they act cowardly.Its not surprising for me. But i know that our prime minister met obama in south korea few months ago and obama said that war after elections.

I think you dont know alot about Neo Islamic?
Well, there is a big muslim congregation in Turkey. They are strange. They have thousands school over the world. From asia, till america. From africa, till europe.But their acts, clothes, ideas as modern people. U cant understand their islamic or no. Their leader lives in pensilvania in usa. His name is Fethullah Gülen. He started dialogue between all religions 20 years ago. He is best friend with pope, jews congregation. He supported to Usa about iraq war. He supported to Israel, when israel soldiers raided to Turkish sheep and killed 9 men. So he is as a puzzle and alot of people think that he is puppet of usa. So this is neo islam… It means they look as muslim but they act as any other religion member or opposite to islam.

If you want information i can tell you.
Really things are here so strange.
Greetings from Turkey…

Seems you know a theme…I think you are right.

Its great to see someone agree with me :slight_smile:
Are u from Russia?

Russia wants a US/NATO war against Syria, for the spike in arms sales that the Syrians are using to massacre their civilian population…

Which war? Against Syria or Iran? Actually, growing public opinion is favoring a more interventionist course…

You think that Turkey acts freely about Syrian? Wish you could know more about usa - Turkey relationships…
Turkish goverment and their syrian politica felt down, we all saw how did they act cowardly.Its not surprising for me. But i know that our prime minister met obama in south korea few months ago and obama said that war after elections.

Based on what? It seems the Turkish gov’t was supporting the Syrian dissidents/refugees/rebels before the USA was. It’s your border after all, not ours. Incidentally, if the Turkish gov’t supposedly acts as a puppet of the US, then why has there been quite a bit of tension between the gov’ts over the Kurds in Northern Iraq and Turkish military incursions there that were clearly unwelcome in American quarters…

I think you dont know alot about Neo Islamic?

Okay. Tell me how they are supposedly puppets of the US then…

Well, there is a big muslim congregation in Turkey. They are strange. They have thousands school over the world. From asia, till america. From africa, till europe.But their acts, clothes, ideas as modern people. U cant understand their islamic or no. Their leader lives in pensilvania in usa. His name is Fethullah Gülen. He started dialogue between all religions 20 years ago. He is best friend with pope, jews congregation. He supported to Usa about iraq war. He supported to Israel, when israel soldiers raided to Turkish sheep and killed 9 men. So he is as a puzzle and alot of people think that he is puppet of usa. So this is neo islam… It means they look as muslim but they act as any other religion member or opposite to islam.

Seems to be a rather strange connection since the US gov’t clearly wanted the Islamist parties to lose…

If you want information i can tell you.
Really things are here so strange.
Greetings from Turkey…

That’s okay, greetings back from the USA on our Independence holiday week…

To sell the weapon to Syria Russia doesn’t need the war there.And BTW, Nick, if CIA sponsors and arms the so called “opposition” they keep responsibility for bloody bath there as well alongside the Asad.

The external allien forces continie to pump up the violence in Syria…
10,000 armed men enter Syria for civil war

An estimated 10,000 armed men equipped with highly-sophisticated weapons, including anti-tank missiles, have reportedly entered Syria to help fuel the unrest in the country, Press TV has learned.
Informed sources in the Qusayr village in Homs say the terrorists crossed into Syria from the Lebanese border and that they have taken positions in the suburbs of the restive city.
Syrian forces also managed to retake control of Damascus suburb of Douma, forcing the armed men to flee the region. The Arab country’s authorities say the armed groups are using ‘‘scorched earth policy’’ and they destroy the area they held before retreating.
Syria has been experiencing a deadly unrest since mid-March 2011. The violence has claimed the lives of many people, including large numbers of security forces.
While the West and the Syrian opposition say the government is responsible for the killings, Damascus blames ‘‘outlaws, saboteurs and armed terrorist gangs’’ for the unrest, insisting that it is being orchestrated from abroad.

no doubts the CIA has changed tactic. After the fiasco of imposed “inner revolution” now they begin a direct military intervention. Although the american media persistently calls the anti-gevement forces as “people’s opposition” - they look rather like heavy armed foreign mercenary army mow.

Technically, the CIA isn’t handing out arms, they’re acting as a gatekeeper…

Ten thousand sounds like a very inflated number as I’m pretty sure that that is the estimate of the entire Free Syrian Army membership…

*correction, the Free Syrian Army is around 70,000 strong…

5 July 2012 Last updated at 08:11 ET

Syria files: Wikileaks releases 2m ‘embarrassing’ emails

[i]The whistle-blowing website Wikileaks says it is releasing more than two million emails from Syrian political figures, ministries and corporations.

“Ground-breaking” news stories derived from the “Syria files” will be published over the next two months, Wikileaks said.

Its founder Julian Assange was quoted as saying the material was embarrassing - not only to Syria but its opponents.

The emails are said to date from August 2006 to March 2012.[/i]

Syrian authorities have been fighting an internal rebellion for some 16 months. Some 15,800 people have died, activists say.
Intimate correspondence’

Emails from the Syrian ministries of presidential affairs, foreign affairs, finance, information, transport and culture are all represented among the data to be released, Sarah Harrison from Wikileaks told reporters in London.

“The range of information extends from the intimate correspondence of the most senior [governing] Baath party figures to records of financial transfers sent from Syrian ministries to other nations,” she said.

Mr Assange remains in the Ecuadorean embassy in London, where he is trying to avoid extradition to Sweden over accusations of rape and sexual assault.

But Ms Harrison quoted him as saying that this material “helps us not merely to criticise one group or another, but to understand their interests, actions and thoughts. It is only through understanding this conflict that we can hope to resolve it.”

Some of the 2,434,899 emails would reveal, Wikileaks promises, “how the West and Western companies say one thing and do another”.

News stories based on the emails will be published by news providers including US news agency Associated Press, Spain’s Publico.es and Egypt’s al-Masry al-Youm.

Some stories which have already appeared seem to concern communications between Syrian representatives and Western suppliers of equipment that could be used for military purposes.

BBCnews

Direct link: http://wikileaks.org/syria-files/

Yes, the ordinary tactic of special services is to be in shade. No doubts however the CIA realize the general management and command all of rebels’s forces.

Ten thousand sounds like a very inflated number as I’m pretty sure that that is the estimate of the entire Free Syrian Army membership…

*correction, the Free Syrian Army is around 70,000 strong…

10 thousands is the only last reinforcement ,they claim. Nobody know for sure how many of those 70 thousands are really belong to syrian opposition and how many area just foreign commandos who kills for money.

Its very interesting why BBC quoted such a highly controversal source like Wikileaks , known for scandal material against american and eurpean authorities.

But Ms Harrison quoted him as saying that this material “helps us not merely to criticise one group or another, but to understand their interests, actions and thoughts. It is only through understanding this conflict that we can hope to resolve it.”

No wonder the both sides of conflict Assad and his opponents ( and who stand behind them) apply the simular genocidal methods of fight, accusing each other.

Unfortunatly the civil wars are, as a matter of fact, even dirtier than the wars against a foreigner enemy.
In my opinion, Syria is a step for the USA towards Iran and an attempt to push back an historical Russian influence on the area.
You surely remeber that the Georgian crazy dictator caused the war with Russia after being supported and feeded up by CIA and Israel. And the Goergia is an important strategical point for oil pipelines inside a bigger strategic oil-producing area.
Syria, even if not an oil producer, is a door in that area, geographic and it could become also political, if Assad falls down. After, the way for Iran is open. And in the meantime, Russia would be forced to a step back in its influence area.
Iran is the only oil big producer still free from USA control and from a public debt owned abroad (not a secundary aspect), that means from the plutocratic world rulers…
I’m scared about the possibility that the well known US attitude to feed up every “son of a bitch, but our son of a bitch” - in the unforgetable summary of Henry Kissinger - could cause an escalation of the Islamic extremism in a country substancially laic and where in the past the islamic fundamentalists were swept away by Assad senior.

In memory of Issa, Ahmed and Sheihk, they died for their children’s future.

http://www.globalpost.com/photo-galleries/planet-pic/5718451/life-and-death-aleppo-photos

Watch also the video ‘Surviving Aleppo’.

Neutral

Good God ! Good God … Thanks, Neutral, for the link - though following it was not exactly a pleasure. It is a salutory illustration of a certain reality for those of us who have had the good fortune not to have fought in a war. Good God.

I have a feeling that the Free Syrian forces have a certain strategy, based on the fact that the Syrian Army is designed and equipped to fight battles with Israel or Iraq, and not particularly well adapted, for example, to urban guerilla warfare. Tanks, 'copter gunships and fighter-bombers are very good in open country; less effective, however, in confined urban theatres like Aleppo. This lesson - which has been reiterated over and over since, well, the latter stages of the Battle of Cambrai - remains to a large extent valid, and may explain why the Opposition in Aleppo still survives. I would be interested in accurate figures for Assad’s losses of armoured vehicles. Assad himself was trained as a tank commander; I am sure he is well aware of the problem.

The difficulty for the Opposition is that if your enemy cares little about how much civilian infrastructure he demolishes with his heavy weapons, or about how many of his own people he kills, attempts to exploit tactical distinctions of this sort may prove unproductive - and very, very many people may die as a result. A terrible, terrible situation.

Yours in sadness,

JR.

@JR

When I first posted this link there was no video, only the photos. Couldn’t agree more with you when you say that ‘following it was not exactly a pleasure’. They even killed the stray cats, for @#$@#$ sake, just to make the other side suffer… It is hard to have faith in mankind when one has to cope with the reality of it…

Yours in sadness indeed,

Neutral