M1 Garand

In World War 2 the M1 was a very succesful weapon and a the common rifle for the Americans.Do you viewers think we would of won the war with out the M1?

I believe so because of the other weapons we have. Thank about Russia, Britian, Australia, and many other countrys won the war without the M1. But if they did not have the M1 the only rifle would be a Springfield. Still I say the war still could have been won without the M1.

Thank you for your reply.:slight_smile:

Here is a different type of M1 in WW2. I just found it.

Great,thanks for the pics

You are welcome. Because I know this was one of you’r favorite guns.

But if they did not have the M1 the only rifle would be a Springfield. My bad there would still be a M1A1 Carbine.

Maybe. The M-1 was a fine weapon, it had a high rate of fire and worked well in most conditions. This weapon gave the average G.I. an edge when fighting against an enemy using bolt action rifles. I think in the end though what won the war for the Allies was the great amount of planes, artillery, and ingenuity that we had. Remember as for small arms, the Germans had the most fully auto weapons. Many machine guns and assault rifles.

It was a good gun but I will stay with my statement and also agree with Laconia.

About 20 years ago I had an M-1. What a good shooter! Not much for recoil because of the gas system. The only drawback was the 8 rd clip. The Italians took the M-1, added a magazine in the bottom and called it the BM-59. (if I remember right) Back in the early 80’s I almost bought one. I should have.

The general Patton said something very flattering about this rifle :rolleyes:

Never knew that.

At that time I had quite the gun collection. A bunch of the WW2 small arms. I had the M-1, the .30 carbine, 1903 A-3 Springfield, .303 Lee Enfield, K-98 Mauser, and the .45 Colt auto Pistol. Had a house fire and they all burnt up!

Sorry for your loss, I would know if that happened to me.

Wasn’t it something like “The greatest battle implement ever created”?

Yep, it did. Never could bring myself to build up the collection again. I would like to get another Garand though. This time I’ll get an even better one. That 03-A3 Springfield was real sweet. I looked forever for that one. Finally found it in a small gun shop in Vermont - I bought it on the spot. The .303 Enfield was like new! I think it got made towards the end of the war and it was put in storage. It was packed in cosmoline when I got it.

Dude that is sweet you have a .303 Enfield. Those things are hardcore.

Sorry about you collection Laconia,it seemed you enjoy WW2 weapons.

Wasn’t it something like “The greatest battle implement ever created”?

Yes that was the phrase. he was very impressed by this gun.

Garand argentine Variant.( 7,65mm)

I noticed it said 1953. Does that mean it was made in 1953 because if so it would not be a world war2 weapon.