Photos of Soviet soldiers.

I found the galleries with many pictures of Red army. It’s russian blog.

nnm.ru/blogs/Svoj_v_dosku/velikaya_otechestvennaya_chast_1/
nnm.ru/blogs/Svoj_v_dosku/velikaya_otechestvennaya_chast_2/
nnm.ru/blogs/Svoj_v_dosku/velikaya_otechestvennaya_chast_3/
nnm.ru/blogs/Svoj_v_dosku/velikaya_otechestvennaya_chast_4/
nnm.ru/blogs/Svoj_v_dosku/velikaya_otechestvennaya_chast_5/

Moved to appropriate forum.

Thank you Maxim and welcome on the forum…
Some of photos are really amazing and worth of separate discussiion…

the execution of Nazic colloborators in main square of my native city Krasnodar , 1943.
the event took place right after GErmans withdrew from Krasnodar area.

Ivan with the Bear:)

That’s really amazing.
The Sanitary biplan U-2. I did never seen such an “modification” before. The wounded soldiers was put into a special box mounted right on the wing!!!
By the such risky way Po-2(U-2) can transport 3 wounded mans ( couple on the each wing and one in rear cabine).

Soviet lend-lise A-20 Boston Bombers over Berlin.I heard soviet pilots very praised that arcraft for reliability.

That’s cool shoot.
Soviet Is-2 crew in Danzig.

The soldier wit cat. How do you think what is he doing?

Here’s one in color of such an aircraft that was captured by the Germans in early OP Barbarossa:

Hmmn interesting, so it was widespread i din’t really know the U-2 was used as medical aircraft…

Right, it was better known -and hated- by the German troops for being a night-time mischief when it dropped small bombs on their positions and shelters. It was given a lot of nicknames like “sewing-machine”, “roadway crow” or “Ivan on duty”.

yes , but I heard the another one nickname - Night Witches

Grabbing a bit of pussy?

:slight_smile:
Actualy he send the message to group of surrounded Germans in Stalingrad(Junuary 1943)… With the cat…I’m in shock…:shock:
It should be pretty danger for the cat, i have to say. The poor germans didn’t seen the meat since at least december…

A cat seems pretty useless as a messenger. They can’t be controlled or trained very well. There’s a reason we have guide dogs, not guide cats, for the blind and homing pigeons, not homing cats, as message carriers.

How would the cat know to go towards the German lines?

Or was the idea that once the cat was over the top the soldier was going to give it a bit of encouragement with his gun to head in that direction?

After they’d eaten it, the skin would make a nice warm fur helmet liner. :slight_smile:

I don’t exactly know, but i’ve checked out the few different sources that posts that photo and all of them claims that soldier send the cat with a message.
I know the red army widely used the dogs all of kinds for that role, but i’ve seen the first time when they ask cat to bring the message:)
How the life is complicated…

This cat messaging is of more symbolic gesture. Much like writing “Greetings” on a shell with a chalk.

Maybe the kitty was an NKVD double agent providing misinformation to the Abwehr. Didn’t anyone think of that?

…or a rat-weapon countermeasure.

Or an anti-tank mine dog attraction, which would be rather silly as the Soviets were using the anti-tank mine dogs and this would encourage the dogs to run into their own lines (rather like they did in action after being trained to run towards Soviet tanks, with unfortunate results).

So, the cat is either another piece of ill-considered Soviet animal weaponry which stays within Soviet lines and defeats their own objectives or a clever device designed by Soviet scientists to run towards the German lines and draw the mine dogs to the Germans.

In which latter case the cat is not a double agent but a poor, innocent Soviet dupe.

Upon reflection, I think it is a calculated insult to the Germans.

There is a phrase in German which (forgive any mispelling) I recall as “in der nacht alle katz ein grau”, meaning “at night all cats are grey”. This expresses the same idea in English about congress with ladies that “they’re all the same with the lights out” (I know from personal experience that this is not true as once when I turned the lights out an unusually aggressive lady said “You touch me and you’re dead.”, but that is not important here.).

So, the Soviets are sending over a grey (or ‘gray’ for our American members :wink: :D) cat to remind the Germans that there aren’t any women in their lines and that this is the only pussy they’ll be seeing for a long time.

Which suggests that, as Nick pointed out, the cat is actually a committed NKVD operative.

interesting photos which i haven’t saw before thanks for sharing them with us :slight_smile:

it’s scary to think what migh to happend with poor pussy if germans will see at her as a woman…
Either as at meat…
Very brave pussy the RA had, i have to say:)

Which suggests that, as Nick pointed out, the cat is actually a committed NKVD operative.

Well , actualy there is a piece of true, all the pets in Stalingrad were in subordination of NKVD.Dogs mines the tanks ( and searches the spies), cat’s were busy with special mission behind the frontline,cockroaches and rats shared the diseases among the enemies . Even our NKVD mikes desperative attack the … germans electrical circuits and wires.
That what does the “Total war” mean in russian understanding…

I suppose that there was Soviet co-ordination with the other Ally airforces when bombing the same city or Germany proper? You don’t hear much about that since USSR was on opposite border of Germany. And what about offensives? Did USSR co-ordinate offensives along with the western Allies? Or just go their own way?