Tank identification topic.

Veeery strange for me. Maybe just for me.
Looks like Sherman married with PzIV.

Source: E-bay

shermanPzIV.jpg

my poor guess is the german has modified their tank to look like allied tanks for the battle of bulge.

OR

the german has run out of material in the end of the war, so they decided to use captured sherman tank to repair their own tank.

Hi, My Friend,

Your guesses are educated and right. Problem is, that this tank doesn’t look German and also doesn’t look like Allied …
Why they would then paint German cross on the chassis?

Cheers,

Lancer44

Could it be a chassis being used to test a turret for a Panzer IV?

Do you have any further info on the picture?

[b] Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausf H with Panther Ausf F’s new narrow turret.

[/b][LEFT]In January of 1944, concept of creating a hybrid Panzerkampfwagen based on a standard chassis using components of Panzerkampfwagen III and IV was brought back to the drawings boards. New vehicle was designated as Panzerkampfwagen auf Einheitsfahrgestell III/IV Ausf A - standard chassis. Mechanical components came from both PzKpfw III and IV, suspension used PzKpfw IV components but was composed of six roadwheels paired on leaf springs, improved sloped armor, while turret used was to be the one from PzKpfw IV Ausf J. The new chassis was also to be a base for leichter Panzer Jaeger - Panzer IV Lang (E), which used the superstructure of Jagdpanzer IV armed with 75mm PaK 42 L/70 gun. Decision to start production at Krupp-Gruson in February of 1945 was made in June of 1944, but entire project was cancelled in July of 1944 with the exception of Panzer Jaeger mit L/70.

Source: http://www.achtungpanzer.com
[/LEFT]

No mate, just single photo from E-bay.

You may be right with your second post. Thanks!
Let’s wait what the experts will say! Heeeeyyy Panzerknacker…!!!

Lancer44

I am in a mini vacation Lancer, I just pass in a very tiny cibercafe in middle of the Pampas, anyway the tank up there is definitively a M1942 Sherman who was capturewd by the germans and modified at their taste.

It had added frontal plates with a circular cut for the hulll MG, the driver vision slots are german made too.

The turret also had a reinforced frontal armor wich resemble like that was used in the lates PZ IIIs. The weird balkenkreuz location had an obvius purpose…to not being shot by a trigger happy german AT gunner in advance.

Probably this rare vehicle was modified by some of the last recovery workshops in Tunisia.

By the way, the balkenkreuz is painted in an tools/ supply box.

Looks like a Sherman with additional superstructure to change appearance

It appears to be an early M4 Sherman mocked up to look like a Panzer IV

Check it out–from my captured Waffen SS collection that i’ll be posting soon:

what.jpg

Panzer III

Panzer III Ausf. E would be my suggestion.

like they said :roll:

100% Pz.Kpfw. III Ausf. E;) .

This may be an American tank stationed at the tank training base in the desert out West in the United States during WWII. The tank may have been made to look like a German tank for use in war games by the US Army. They still use “dummy” modified tanks at the base today.

Is plausible also, since we have not the location of the picture it complicated even more the correct identification.

Very interesting. I can’t really add more than that since everyone has given all the basics ideas.

What tank is this?
A skoda LT38? or LT35? I don’t know.

Hi.

This is a Panhard 178 AC in german service (P 204 (f)).

Yours

tom! :wink: