The air war.

Found this on another website…

I will leave you to make up your minds…

http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/apj/apj02/fal02/corum.html

by a

Dr. James S. Corum (BA, Gonzaga University; MA, Brown University; MLitt, Oxford University; PhD, Queen’s University) is professor of comparative military studies at the School of Advanced Airpower Studies, Maxwell AFB, Alabama. A previous contributor to Aerospace Power Journal, he is the author of The Roots of Blitzkrieg: Hans von Seeckt and German Military Reform (University Press of Kansas, 1992), The Luftwaffe: Creating the Operational Air War, 1918–1940 (University Press of Kansas, 1997), and (with Richard Muller) The Luftwaffe’s Way of War: German Air Force Doctrine, 1911–1945 (Nautical and Aviation Publishing Co., 1998). Dr. Corum, a lieutenant colonel in the Army Reserve, is a graduate of Army Command and General Staff College and Air War College.

Interesting read that.

Still hard to believe that the Argentinians thought they would be able to defend the islands with the air force that they had available at the time.

As he says though, they were brave men to press home their attacks in the way they did.

A good well written piece there. It outlines the extreme difficulties that the Argentine Air Forces had in finding and hitting the RN ships. It also shows some key thinking by the FAA Commanders in their strikes, like using the civillian decoys.

One thing it does miss out (as far as I can tell) is that the FAA had a 707 Recce aircraft in the S Atlantic as well, this was the reason why RAF Nimrods were fitted for the sidewinder.

Firefly wrote:

One thing it does miss out (as far as I can tell) is that the FAA had a 707 Recce aircraft in the S Atlantic as well, this was the reason why RAF Nimrods were fitted for the sidewinder.

Didn’t know that. I often wondered why they had been fitted with it, but just figured it was for defence.

Can’t quite imagine a Nimrod, dog fighting a 707!!!

I used to serve on a Nimrod Sqn, its surprising how much we dont know about Nimrod Ops, including other missions. But as I cant find anything on the Net I suppose its still classified, I’m still looking though.

The aircraft was also fitted to carry Sidewinder air-to-air missiles during the Falklands War (to allow for opportunity attacks on opposing surveillance aircraft more than for self-defence).

http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/nimrodmr2.html

Damn I found it where I started!

15 May. First daylight sortie of Operation Corporate flown by 201 Squadron. The crew’s recollection of flying close to the enemy coastline without the cloak of darkness was of extreme vulnerability.

They were looking for the Argentine Navy I believe and got quite close in. I spoke to a couple of guys that flew them and apparently it was hairy stuff!

About the Nimrods, you are right, the Nimrods were equiped with the AIM-9 after an encounter between a B-707 and a Nimrod. The B-707 was extensive used as an explorer and a patrol aircraft of long range.
The B-707s was intercepted by Harriers on several times, and at least twice the Boeings were attacked with SAMs, incredibly avoiding them.

The Argentine Navy A-4Qs vs the HMS Ardent, 21th May 1982:

In the morning Douglas A-4Q from the 2th escuadrilla Aeronaval de Ataque ( 2 squadron of naval attack.) flown by LT Benito Rótolo (3-a-306, first), Carlos Lecour (3-A-305, second) and Roberto Sylvester (3-A-301, thirst) launch his bombs over the HMS Ardent. One of the bomb launched by Carlos Lecour impact in the ship fuel depot starting a big fire. The british response was hard but the aircraft return to the continent without damage.

The second was comprised by the pilots J.C Arca, the capt corvette A. Philippi ad the leutenant Marquez.
Jose Cesar Arca remembers:

“Teorically we should keep a distance of 19 seconds between the aircraft to avoid any posible fragment from the leading aircraft proyectiles , however in the last Kilometers to target the Surface to Air missiles menace and the tracers from the warships cannons desorganizated the formation and I ended up just 1 seconds behind Philippi, I saw the 4 bombs separating from his plane the metal fins opened correctly ( Snakeyes 227 kg) one hit the stern of the ship and caused a hell of explosion and smoke, I penetrate this and dropped my bombs , latter I hear the voice of Marquez- Very good sir, one in the stern ¡¡
We evade the ship turning sharply to the left , I think that no more than 20 seconds passed when I hear the voice of Marquez again- Sea Harries 3 o Clock”

Few seconds later Marquez aircraft took a full burst of 30 mm Aden cannon and explode giving no chance to the pilot. Phillippi try to evade the british Fighter but his aircraft is also hit and he had to eject , minutes later landed unhurt in the coast and retuned to the argentines lines walking.

J.C Arca (left) A Philippi. (right), picture taken in 1986

Arca was probably fliying the hardest Mcdonell Doglas in existence and is attacked twice taking hits in both wings and the fuselage. With a serious damage a without hidraulics Arca tough is done.
However the Sea Harries disingage ( probably due of lack of fuel) an the argentine try to make a landing in the Pt Argentino airstrip.

The response from ground Control:

“I can see the sky trough the holes in your aircraft, none of the undercarriage wheels in the the right position, you better go to the bay and eject”

The pilot did so but the A-4 did not go down and remain circling around putting in danger some houses and pilot alike.
“Is like the A-4 was mad because I had to leave it”

Finally the Oerlikon batteries open fire and finished the career of that stuborn aircraft. Arca was rescued from the sea by an Army helicopter belonging to the 601th batallion.

Mortally wounded the HMS Ardent Ardent stopped in the shallow waters of Grantham Sound, the fires in her stern out of control. The Rothersay-class Yarmouth then came alongside to take off survivors. Ardent continued to burn throughout the night, accompanied by the occasional explosion, until she sank the following morning, with only her foremast remaining above the water. The last man to leave was her Commander, Cdr. Alan West, who was subsequently awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, and served as First Sea Lord from 2002-2006.

An interesting story Panzerknacker.

Here I found a pic of the pilots of the 2th Attack Squadron, Marquez (KIA 21-5-1982) is signaled with the arrow.

Hmm…thinking is this topic I should open one for the Air-to-sea operation, will see if I have time.

One of the best (if not the best) picture of that war, this image taken by a british seamen shows the two Grupo 5s A-4C of Lt. Rinke ( left) and Capt. Carballo in the final approach to attack the HMS Broasword. the date in "5th may 1982.

Low pass of a pair of Skyhawks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FoqEnuC1gs

Wow thanks for the detailed story mate.
I heared the Argentinian Navi aviation were effective enough during conflict.
BTW do you know what type of anty-ship French rocket (Air-Surface class) were used by the Argentines. I readed the story, after this conflict Britain tryed to stop the sale this kind of French rocket to the Argentine? But the Frenches saled the big parcel of rocket becouse the firm’s image was more importaint that NATO solidarity.

Cheers.

Damn !
And I thought Basil Fawlty was in Torbay in '82 !

Wow thanks for the detailed story mate.
I heared the Argentinian Navi aviation were effective enough during conflict.
BTW do you know what type of anty-ship French rocket (Air-Surface class) were used by the Argentines. I readed the story, after this conflict Britain tryed to stop the sale this kind of French rocket to the Argentine? But the Frenches saled the big parcel of rocket becouse the firm’s image was more importaint that NATO solidarity.

The Argentine Armada (Navy) bought 14 Exocets and 14 Super Etendar in 1981. For the time of the war only 5 missiles were actually delivered and 5 Aircraft. Is not true that the image of the company prevailed…but the politics, even more, due the little training achieved with this new type of aircraft the Frechs tell the british that the Navy would be incapable to assemble the mechanics and software to actually fire an Exocet.

Off course the sunking of the HMS Sheffield was a rude awakening for the RN.

Sure my poor memory … Exocets. Thanks mate.

Ha
So who did dummy who? Argentitnias dummed Franch , or the French decieved Britains?
And why after the conflict French sended rest 9 Excosets to the Argentine.

So who did dummy who? Argentitnias dummed Franch , or the French decieved Britains?

He,he, that is a good question, I think we surprized both.

The missiles were paid in advance so … :rolleyes:

And some videos to complete my earlier post:

Eyewitness of the attack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i5c-V3xD2Q

Waw what’s detailed information thanks.
Now tell me one thing - is it true that Agrentinians are very proud of action national Army in this conflict. What was the resault of this short war ?
I heared Britain get that they wish from Agrentine. i.e. they win.
And is it true after the sinking the Shiffild Augusto Bedacarratz become the national hero and his Etendards was demonstrated for public with a big star (symbol of hited enemies)?

Cheers.