The air war.

good pictures

Thanks.

Waw what’s detailed information thanks.
Now tell me one thing - is it true that Agrentinians are very proud of action national Army in this conflict.

I in particular did not think that the Army performed well in that conflict , but that was more a product of a chain of bad commanders and thus bad command desitions. The Air Force and the Naval aircraft however fought hard and trow everything they got against the british, the Air Force suffered heavy losses but continue to carry out supply, attacks and recce mission until the last day of the war. The naval attack squadron even small caused a desproportionate damage to the RN with 50% of the ship sunked only by this force.

I heared Britain get that they wish from Agrentine. i.e. they win.

They win ,the other I dont know I let this for a british member.

And is it true after the sinking the Shiffild Augusto Bedacarratz become the national hero and his Etendards was demonstrated for public with a big star (symbol of hited enemies)?

Well, more or less every aviator wich participated in combat missions is taken in high regard, the “killmarks” in the Super Etendar are silouethes of the ships with a superimposed red dot. Lucky me I had the opportunity of touch and see those aircraft.

What was the resault of this short war?

The result of this was a economic disaster for Argentina, that also contribute to the downfall of the Military goverment but mostly was influential in the economic things because our country was aislated by several european countries and cannot export most of this traditional products like beef, wheat, corn, etc.

Attack against the HMS Broadsword & HMS Coventry. 25-5-1982:

May 25, 1982, - 15:20 hours:
Argentine Air Force Escuadron III Grupo 5 Skyhawks piloted by Captain P. Carballo and Lieutenant C. Rinke attacked HMS Broadsword. The Argentine pilots dropped their Mark 17, 1000-pound bombs on Broadsword, but the bomb(s) failed to explode when they struck the ships stern. Nevertheless the bombs holed the Broadsword, critically damaged a Lynx helicopter and forced Broadsword to come to a stop.

Guncamera of A-4C attacking HMS Broadsword.

May 25, 1982, - 15:24 hours
During the Argentine Air Force Escuadron III Grupo 5 attack on HMS Broadsword, north of Borbon Island, the accompanying type 42 class destroyer, HMS Coventry crossed in front of Broadsword’s firing line.

As Escuadron III Grupo 5 pilots Captain M. Velazco and Captain Alférez J. Barrionuevo engaged the HMS Broadsword´s Sea Wolf missile system, the Broadsword fired a missile at the Skyhawk deuce - and by a contested account missing the Skyhawks but hitting HMS Coventry with the missile.

Then Captain Velazco’s flight attacked by dropped their 1000-pound bombs on Coventry getting a hit that breached the hull near the water line. This caused uncontrollable fires and in 20 minutes Coventry sank.

Computer generated video about the attack ( from National Geographic Channel):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCIQHNPCRWM

Oh poor Coventry.
This amateur video clip contains the chronicle or real attack of British ships. Its very interesting. Its look like japane attack to the allies fleet in 1944-45. Such dramatic and cruel action.
Well there was always for me something magical and awful in the air attack to the war ship. This is moment of true come when you alone vs alone with enemy ship . You crazy camicadze and a crew of ship which in this moment crazy like you.
This is so dramaticly.

Well , I dont think that those were kamikazes, they want to live like everybody of us.

The attackers, from left to right, Barrionuevo, Carlos Rinke and Ctp Velazco: ( the mustache was a hit in those days :rolleyes: )

Sure they are not kamikazes, i mean its just my associations.
The tension of its air attack is simular like japanes attack in WW2.
And what Military Argentin goverment do you mean which fall down soon after the Folkland war?

Actually they did not fall soon, the war ended in june 82 and the Mil. Gov. withdraw in December 83. The war undermined his credibility and governability however.

The tension of its air attack is simular like japanes attack in WW2

Actually yes, I heard the recording of the radar controller in the HMS Coventry waiting the hit, “…6 seconds, 5 seconds, 4 seconds…” amazing to see that documentry, unfortunately is not available online just a piece with no original sound.

So do you think your gov was wrong to begin the war with one of the sea powerful word country.

Actually yes, I heard the recording of the radar controller in the HMS Coventry waiting the hit, “…6 seconds, 5 seconds, 4 seconds…” amazing to see that documentry, unfortunately in not available online just a poiece with no original sound.

yea i can imagin this. Amazing.
I heared the simular record when soviet detachment of AAA-rocket system C-75 hited the US fighter-bomber “Fantom F-4” in the Vetnam. It had a such dramatic tension.
They had a bit of time - after the rocket shoot the group us -bomber appeared and begin the carpet firebombing to the place where was shoot. The every second was very importaint. The AA-crew must immediatly after the volley retreat for position to the reserve position.

Cheers.

So do you think your gov was wrong to begin the war with one of the sea powerful word country.

The territorial claim was not wrong so the war was in some measure justified. The way to do it and preparation for the conflict however was poor and some command dessitions were bad, in that conditions…yes I think it was a mistake.

A very interesting video I ve found in Youtube,

“Argentine Skyhawks in the Falklands fly close to BBC journalist Brian Hanrahan”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FoqEnuC1gs

A recomendation turn the volume up and just listen that “poom-poom” AAA sound :shock:

oh its very impressing.Thanks.

Low altitude high speed manoeuvrible fly.

A little something from me on this subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0bRoJdV0AM&NR

I also saw a night footage taken by one of british ship and you can see how the Argentinian missile hits the deck. I can not remember which chip it was. Have you seen it?

I also saw a night footage taken by one of british ship and you can see how the Argentinian missile hits the deck. I can not remember which chip it was. Have you seen it

That was the HMS Antelope blowing up, but the damage was caused by a bomb not a missile.

I will post more of that ship.

I guess I was not clear. I mean that the video was taken by a camera on the ship it self. And I think it was a missile as it hit the side below the deck line.

I never saw that video if you remenber the ship maybe i can help.

No way. It was on Discovery channel couple of years ago.

Interesting image from a guncamera of Mirage V of 6th Gruppe, the aircraft is strafing the HMS Brilliant, note the splashes caused by the 30mm guns.

Attack against the HMS Sheffield. 4th may 1982.

Antecedents: The sinking of the ARA Belgrano.

The late afternoon of the 2th may the argentine Military junta get a shocking news , one of the largest ship in inventory is going to the bottom attacked by a modern Nucler submarine (The HMS Conqueror who coverted itself in the only SSN who fied in anger) Many question whether the ship was ever a serious threat to the British fleet and to this day the attack remains steeped in controversy, more than twenty years after the guns of war fell silent. One thing was for sure…the dreamers who still believe in some kind of negotiation with the Britsh force now really undestand that there was a war.
In the meanwhile the Argentine Navy Air force was working in some retribution.

The aircraft:

In September 1980, fifty pilots and technician personnel of the 2ª Escuadrilla Aeronaval de Caza y Ataque (2nd Air Naval Fighter and Strike Squadron) of the CANA (Comando de Aviación Naval Argentina, Argentine Naval Aviation Command) arrived at Rochefort Naval Base, in France. Among the group of pilots were the unit’s commander, Frigate Captain Jorge Colombo, and sub-commander, Corvette Captain Augusto Bedacarratz.

The rest of the pilots were: Corvette Captains Roberto Agotegaray, Roberto Curilovic and Alejandro Francisco, and Warship Lieutenants Luis Collavino, Julio Barrraza, Juan Rodriguez Mariani, Armando Mayora and Carlos Machetanz. All the pilots had hundreds of hours flying A-4Q Skyhawks (the main type of combat plane used by the CANA by that time).

After three months of French language teaching, they were sent to Landivisiau Air Naval Base, where they flew training sorties in Morane Saulnier planes during 30 days and then began to know their future combat tool - the AMD-BA (Avions Marcel Dassault - Breguet Aviation) Super Etendard. Later, the Argentine pilots started to learn the basic flight lessons in the Super Etendard (a maximum of 50 hours of flight by each pilot) and basic notions about the weapon systems, especially the anti-ship missile AM.39 Exocet.
But on April 2nd 1982, when the 2nd Squadron was waiting the arrival of the French technical team to put the Exocets in an operational status. One of the first acts of the French government was to declare a weapons embargo against Argentina until the conflict ended.

Of course, it deprived the 2nd Squadron of the possibility of being assisted by French technicians but the Argentine personnel of the unit, far from giving up, faced on their own the challenge to set up the Exocets. Two weeks later, the software interface between airplane and missile had been solved, and the tests on anti-ship strikes began. Fortunately for the Argentineans, the country had bought from Great Britain two Type 42 destroyers (the same class used by the Royal Navy), the ARA Hércules and ARA Santísima Trinidad. In consequence, the unit’s pilots tested and improved the attack tactics against these kinds of ships. The unit had only reveive 5 Exocet before Miterrand say no more, so want to make good use of it.

The Mission, entering the Neptunes.

At 5:07 hrs on May 4th 1982, a SP-2H Neptune, serial number 0708/2-P-112, call sign ‘Mercurio’, belonging to the Exploration Squadron of the CANA, took off from Río Grande Air Naval Base. The plane’s crew was composed of three members, and the pilot was Corvette Captain Ernesto Proni Leston.

At 7:50 the Neptune had his first radar contact with a British warship, and Proni reported the news to the CANA. He was ordered to keep contact but with discretion. ‘Mercurio’ had two other contacts at 8:14 and 8:43. A few minutes later an order from the High Command of CANA arrived to evade any contact until 10:00 hrs. Proni guessed that an Exocet sortie was on the way, and set the Neptune’s course to the area of the wreckage of the ARA General Belgrano, pretending to be part of a rescue mission searching for survivors.

The news about Captain Proni’s findings arrived to Río Grande quickly, and it was the turn for Corvette Captain Augusto César Bedacarratz and Frigate Lieutenat Armando Mayora to fly the anti-ship sorties, and all the other pilots helped to prepare the flight paths, points of meeting with the KC-130H tanker, etc. Both Super Etendards took off from Río Grande at 9:45 hrs. Bedacarratz, the leader, (call sign ‘Aries’) flew the plane 0752/3-A-202, and Mayora, the wingman, (call sign ‘Boina’) did so with his plane 0753/3-A-203. At 10:00 hrs they met the KC-130H tanker provided by the FAA (Fuerza Aérea Argentina - Argentine Air Force) piloted by Vicecommodore Pessana and received all the necessary fuel to complete the mission.

The mission map

(Britains Small Wars)

At 10:35, Corvette Captain Proni did his last climb at 1,170 meters (3,500 feet) and detected a big contact and two medium-size in the coordinates 52º 33’ 55’’ South, 57º 40’ 55’’ West. A few minutes later he radioed both Super Etendards and gave the information to Bedacarratz. After that, Proni set his course to Río Grande and landed at 12:04 hrs. His long sortie had reached the end.
But the mission of the SUEs (nickname given by the Argentine pilots to the Super Etendards) had just begun. Flying at very low altitude, around 10:50 hrs they climbed at 160 meters (500 feet) to verify the coordinates given by Proni, but they found… nothing! Both pilots turned back to searching and Bedacarratz decided to continue. 40 kms (25 miles) later they climbed again and, after a few seconds of scanning, the targets appeared on their radar screens. Both pilots loaded the coordinates in their weapons systems, turned back to low level, and after the last minute check, launched their AM.39 Exocets. The exact time was 11:04 hrs.

Fire ¡¡

Bedacarratz and Mayora landed at 12:04 hrs, exactly an hour after having launched the missiles. It is unnecessary to say that they were received by their happy comrades as heroes.
There still debate if the Exocet explode or not when it hit the Sheffield, in my opinion the 165 kilograms warhead carried by the French missile should done more damage if exploded. the effect were as vicius however. The damage was serius enough to made his crew abandon ship and finally scuttled on the 10 May 1982.

HMS-Sheffield-MoD-S.jpg

Harrier and Sea Harrier.

Plates from: Battle for the Falklands, The Air Forces. Osprey publishing.

So mate if to be the short
What was realation of combat loses of Britain and Argentinian forces ( all of kinds)? Which side had the better score/loses relation?
And how many Britains losed the naval ships oat all form the Argentinian air-attacks?