The Poles on the fronts

I found quite interesting website about polish war effort during ww2.
It has polish, english, german, french, spanish and russian language versions.
http://www.ww2.pl/

Great site. Thanks, from a Polish-American

good site

Deserter, I love your nickname! :wink:

spam…

Good site :slight_smile:

_

Well let’s look for this site more closely

http://www.ww2.pl/A,thought,for,the,anniversary,141.html
In September 1944 the Polish Army attempted at helping the insurgents in Warsaw – unsuccessfully and with great losses

Hmmmn , if Stalin did let the Poles chance to help for the urising, but they lose with a great loses - why he should order it for the Red Amry?
The GErmans defence were still very strong in that time and the Red Army should have a great casualties.

Polish soldiers were not invited to participate in the victory parades in London and Moscow in 1945 . This meant that Poland was more like an object of mutual relations than like a partner of the Great Powers. However, the Western Allies many times emphasized the heroism and determination of the Polish soldiers and the fact that Poland was a very valuable ally, therefore belonging to the winners of the war. Many Poles thought, and still think, that it was a “bitter victory” because the Polish state that emerged after the war was harmed by subordinating it to the Soviet Union. Despite this no one seems to doubt that it was necessary to fight and the homage to those who fought, is paid by everyone.

But Soviets also emphazired the polish herois and its stragle against fascism - there a lot of polish films that are very popular in USSR.

Poles from LWP landed on the West bank by night of September 15-16th. It was already too late, because the Nazis were controlling almost all of the city and AK was in agony.
The attack on the west bank turned out to be failure. After 8 days the so-called Czerniakow Beachhead had been closed.

Yes, but they emphasized only the Polish People’s Army.
Have you ever watched in USSR and Russia any movie or document about Polish Armed Forces in the West?
I don’t think so.

Nevertheless, I absolutely respect the heroism and courage of all who fought in PPA in the East. These guys were the salt of the earth. They were caught by Russians in 1939, were held in prisons, then sent to the Far East, and then came back to the front and fought with the Germans. Hats off…

true mate.
But in the September the GErmans had NO more troops that in the mid of August.
COz in the right after BErginning of the Iprising immediately germans send to the Warsaw additional 4 SS Panzer Corp ( very strong) besides the western-bank of Vistula fortifications did not let the Red Army to march into the Praga in aug of 1944.

So the Soviets INEVITABLY would suffer much during the attack of Warsaw.

Yes, but they emphasized only the Polish People’s Army.
Have you ever watched in USSR and Russia any movie or document about Polish Armed Forces in the West?
I don’t think so.

True , but you my friend forgetting that the West aslo insulting called the “Polish People army as a pro-communist pupet army” that partisipated in the communits action’s after the WW2.
The West also emphasized only the activity of Polish forses in the Western armies.
And have you watched the any objective western movie about AL during the Cold War?
I do not think so too.

Nevertheless, I absolutely respect the heroism and courage of all who fought in PPA in the East. These guys were the salt of the earth. They were caught by Russians in 1939, were held in prisons, then sent to the Far East, and then came back to the front and fought with the Germans. Hats off…

Agree absolutly.

I totally agree. I wouldn’t be a milk run at all.

Hmm, that is questionable. I assume that Western politician and comentators were are of PPA past, I mean they had to known that ordinary soldiers went through the Soviet prisons, camp etc. It was widely known that joining PPA was the only chance to survive and come back to homeland, especially when gen. Anders’s army left to Iran.

But when speaking about officers and high command…
For example, the commander of polish troops in the East who sent PPA to Czerniakow Beachhead. (Gen. Berling), avoided being sent to Katyn just because he declared the will to cooperate with NKVD and Red Army. In other case - it is easy to guess.
There were also true communists among PPA hig ranks, no doubt about it.
So calling the whole army “pro-communist puppet army” is an exaggeration.
I assume it refers to fact that PPA was a foundation of communist polish state.
And let’s not forget its role in actions against AK and other organizations.

No, because communist Poland had its own movies about “brave” AL :slight_smile:

Pozdrawiam,
Kovalski

P.S. I found some unconfirmed info about Soviet 226th Rgt 74th Inf, that was sent to Warsaw to help at Czerniakow Beachhead, as it was elite unit with great experience in street-fighting gained at Stalingrad. But they arrived too late, when the situation at the beachhead was hopeless.

This is so hillarious. The first sentence I read on this site:
“Poland was the only country to fight in the European theatre of war from the first to the last day of the greatest armed conflict in the history of mankind.”
already discredited it beyond recovery.

I’ll let their admin know to add “against Nazi Germany”. Hope it helps you :wink:

Jup, it would or something like allied, but I think the the whole sentence is a bit discrediting to GB and even France (god forbid, hehe), though they were technically two days late, but then one could say it was no real WW before they even joined.

Britian committed due to the German invasion of Poland.

Like you say, it wasn’t really a World War until more got involved.

The Poles fought vainly but valliantly, as two armies, vastly superior to their own came at them from both sides.

Not to be outdone by the loss of their country many Poles chose to fight on. Statistically more Poles fought on after defeat than French. Whole squadrons of RAF were flown during the Battle of Britain manned by Poles.

Also, a big contribution was played by the Poles. Even as their country fell, they managed to help a group of British Soldiers of the Royal Signals to smuggle a German Enigma machine (of the Army, not Submarine or Luftwaffe. They were all different) and codes out to Britain. Their contribution in this can not be understated.

Especially when you realise it was only for the Poles that the British escaped with there lives. Kitdidn’t work, and agents didn’t work properly. The Brits were there to communicate back what was going on, and were installed prior to the declaration of war by the British.

Thanks to them, and the Poles, Britain had an Enigma machine from the off.

They fought agains one army ydstare- German army.
They did not even try to fight against the Soviet army that had captured back the Western Ukraine, occuped by Poland since 1921.
Only 17 september when the Polish gov has run away from Poland the Soviets have entered to the Western Ukraine;)
And as far as we know the Polish troops even did not resist for it ( coz Poland de-facto was not existed already).
BTW do not forget please that the Britain and France simply betrayed the Poles.In summer of 1939 they have the agrement to not help the Poles(Although formally they signed the treaty with the Poland to begin the military operation agains Agressor not later then after TWO weeks).
As the resault the naive Poles fought vainly with hope that “West would help them”.They even refused the alliance with USSR in august.
BTW the France in 1939 had even more strength then the Germans. If they attacked the Germany when the German army was in Poland- they easy could capture the Germany and finish the Fascism in the most beginning.
However they did nothing.
Well actually why they have to do something?
The Hitlers dreamed about Eastern Lands- he obviously would attack the USSR- so why we need to defend the Poland that is on the way to the Russia?:wink:
The better choice is to wait , right?
So they were waiting when the poles died, but damn… the dastard Stalin has broke all the plans:)
And instead the new Crusade to the East in 1939 Fuhrer begin the capturing the Western Europe.
What a nice surprise for the British strategists .

Chevan! Not again!

1. Polish forces received the instruction not to attack Red Army after 17th of September. They were allowed to open fire only in self-defence. And that took place many times on eastern territories of Poland.
  2. About the “occupied” Ukraine. Russia was the same kind of invader in Ukraine as Poland was. Don’t tell me about “Western Ukraine, occupied by Poland since 1921”, because you put yourself in position of the greatest hypocrite of all. Before 1921, Russia was an occupier there. As I told you thousands of times: if you want to dig in the history of Eastern Europe and check who was the first occupier, feel free to do it :slight_smile: Good luck!
  3. About the resisting polish forces…
    Look on above.
    Regiments of polish Borderland Defence Corps: „Wilejka”, „Podole” i „Sarny” were resisting on thier positions. Battalions: „Ludwikowo”, „Sienkiewicze”, „Dawidgródek” were also fighting on the eastern border. What about the battle of Vilnus? What about the battles of Skidle and Kodziowice? Have you ever heard about polish Borderland Defence Corps unit under command of gen. Wilhelm Orlik-Rückeman, which inflicted heavy loses to Red Army in Battle of Szack and Wytyczno? What about the battle of Grodno?
    In fact, several dozen of thousands of polish soldiers fought the Red Army in September 1939. The biggest unit was Independent Operational Group „Polesie”, with 20 thousands soldiers, which fought first with Soviets, and later with Germans.

BTW, some members of my family were in Borderland Defence Corps on the eastern border of Poland. Don’t ask me if they ever came back home.

Pozdrawiam,
Kovalski

Have to agree with Kovalski here, particularly about the occupied and hypocrisy on the soviet/russian side part :).

And also do not forget my friend that Polish troops was fighting not as much with Red Army as with the Ukraine armed groups of peasants and patrisants in so called “eastern territories of Poland”.
In fact after the “Polonisation” of Western Ukraine the local population hated a much of Poles and immediatelly began to attack the polish troops when the Red Army entered to their areas.
Initially the Ukraine population has greeted the Red Army.( but later they fought with them ;))

1. About the “occupied” Ukraine. Russia was the same kind of invader in Ukraine as Poland was. Don’t tell me about “Western Ukraine, occupied by Poland since 1921”, because you put yourself in position of the greatest hypocrite of all.

That’s true mate
After all the Russian ocuped Ukraine. However for the Ukrainian oint in the 1939 the Soviet Ukraine received back its native territories.
And do not be a greates hypocrite to tell us about “Polish easter territories”.
It was an only Ukraine;)

Before 1921, Russia was an occupier there. As I told you thousands of times: if you want to dig in the history of Eastern Europe and check who was the first occupier, feel free to do it :slight_smile: Good luck!

Oh mate this is a great way
In such way we soon would descaver the fact that the it was a Rome impare who was the ONLY ancient occuper of the Europe.:wink:
AAnd do not forget about Spain with Britain who occupied the America five centuries ago…

1. About the resisting polish forces…
    Look on above.
    Regiments of polish Borderland Defence Corps: „Wilejka”, „Podole” i „Sarny” were resisting on thier positions. Battalions: „Ludwikowo”, „Sienkiewicze”, „Dawidgródek” were also fighting on the eastern border. What about the battle of Vilnus? What about the battles of Skidle and Kodziowice? Have you ever heard about polish Borderland Defence Corps unit under command of gen. Wilhelm Orlik-Rückeman, which inflicted heavy loses to Red Army in Battle of Szack and Wytyczno? What about the battle of Grodno?
    In fact, several dozen of thousands of polish soldiers fought the Red Army in September 1939. The biggest unit was Independent Operational Group „Polesie”, with 20 thousands soldiers, which fought first with Soviets, and later with Germans.

Oh what a great forces has meet the Red Army;)
They could killed 737 soviet soldiers and oficers.
BTW do you know that the ONLY Ukraine armed forces killed much more poles ( about 2500)

BTW, some members of my family were in Borderland Defence Corps on the eastern border of Poland. Don’t ask me if they ever came back home.

Oh sorry man i didn’t know you had the relatives in here.
However may i ask you why they called the Ukraine as its home?

Guess we could agree that over the past 2 millenia there was a lot of “occupation” going round in europe, not always was it as bad for the population as occupation sounds. The roman empire for example had a great impact on the cultural development of western europe. The kingdoms and relationships between them shifted more often than can be counted and things like the Völkerwanderung or many many wars contributed much to the ethnic diversity of europe, from which we, like the US today, profited a lot. I think, if europe wasn’t so small and diverse, it would have never achieved the leading role in the world in the past 1000 years and have fueled all achievements that lead to the world we know today. A more homogenous european population might have stagnated. The lines we draw on maps are anyway artificial.

Drake there is no Soviet/ Russian side.
The Soviet side is rather differ from Russian;)
The soviet class strugle approach has nothing common with the contemporary point of many nations in this area.But this is not mean that ONLY polish side is right;)