World of Tanks

I’d like to mention a new MMO project by Wargaming.net (Do you remember Order of War?) World of Tanks. The game is very promissing. It can’t be called a true historical game but the tank models corresponds to their historical prototypes (machines of 30-50s). Details can be found here: http://www.worldoftanks.com/

That looks pretty cool, hope it turns out well though…

http://worldoftanks.com/media/gallery/default/german_tree.jpg

Soviet tree is also available now: http://www.worldoftanks.com/news/soviet_tank_tree

Hopefully someone makes an offline emulator for it

The developers declare the game to be a combination of such genres as the third person action, FPS, RTS, RPG, and the simulator.

TPA and FPS don’t really mix that well…

The devs’ interview about the game and mixture of genres as well: http://www.massively.com/2010/03/22/interview-with-world-of-tanks-mike-zhivets/

The gameplay video has also appeared: http://www.worldoftanks.com/gallery/video/1

Gamespot is giving away beta keys to members

http://www.gamespot.com/event/codes/world-of-tanks/?tag=topslot;thumb;5

Cool, I’ll get around to looking at getting that.

Great game, now that I have it. Played it three times and I already have a leichttractor, a Panzer 35t, a BT-7, and an AMX 38. At the moment I’m saving up for the Panzer 38t.

I recommend it to anyone who likes shooters with a degree of historical accuracy. Also, if you do decide to get it talk to me about the free code for 1000 gold, and add me, I’m porkpotpie.

Will be looking out for you lol,

Tigger3 on EU server, waiting for Brit tanks to come out so not bought any new ones for a while (saving XP and gelt), generally play a few of my selection and although I have unlocked the tier 8’s I prefer the mid levels.

SU26 love this little beast, much better than my other arty.
IS, KV3, hard hitting mid tier brawlers
ARL44, VK3001 French and German sniper tanks, fragile armour
VK3601 average in most battles but can do some real damage
T26 I drag this out for a bit of fun at the bottom end, fast and good gun.

Not long had my SU85 and find it pretty good (especially after the SU76/85B horrors)

Got a load of others but they are really just gathering dust until I have a fire sale and buy British lol.

I play on the NA server as well mainly US vehicles though as I don’t play them on the EU server (really hating the M3 Lee), love the Soviet MS1 though.

Generally informing people on both forums that wiki is not infallable and popular beliefs do not always stand up to close inspection.

I don’t have much playing time but give me about 25k money and I’ll have my third tier 3.

What’s the most number of kills you’ve gotten mate? I’ve gotten 6 with the Ltractor.

I have had 9 with my KV1 (with 122mm howitzer), rest of my team were dead and I was facing 6 on my own, they got cocky and thought they would have an easy win.
Also got 9 with my SU26 which really is a great little arty piece (accused of being a hacker as I was hunting tanks using direct fire instead of arty mode).

Most fun was probably in my SU18 when I was against 5 others (last one left alive again), I killed an AMX38 (already had 2 kills) and then capped their flag, embarrassing for them as the SU18 is sooooo fast lol.

I tend to have odd moments when I can play for an hour or so then not play for a few days, sometimes its just fired up for a single match.

Have fun with the AMX40 ‘Duck’ the B1 is much better but can be disheartening as well at times.

I like the Pz38t, BT-7, and AMX38, but I don’t…

They’re good tanks, but the BT and AMX are sent to tier 5 lobbies and the Pz is sent to tier 4s… I wish I was only sent to tier 3/4 with the BT and AMX because its impossible to get any kills…

The matchmaking is alot better after the 7.5 patch, only 2 tiers spread up or down for most vehicles now so much better as whatever I face I can at least do damage to.

Patch 8.0 allowed you to choose whether to do assault and encounter modes (I think tier level may have something to do with it though).

You playing on the NA server? think I saw your nic, I play as Freddy there but not too often.

Yeah, I play on the NA server because I have a lot of friends who play on that one.

I have the latest patch, 8.0 I think, but it still puts me against upper tier 5 tanks… Kind of annoying, but I just stay back and let the others do the killing. Doesn’t always work, but when it does the XP is worth it.

Brit tanks out on Russian server, eu server usually comes out about a week later.

Gah, lucky. How is the tier 1?

I suppose it’ll come out last on the American server…

I been playing the Brits on the test server for the last few weeks anyway, Russia usually gets first patch then NA followed shortly by EU, I don’t know where China or SEA fit in.

The Vickers Med Mk 1 is slow, thin armoured and huge but the guns are good. The 15mm Besa is good in maps where you get up close and personal (five round burst and capable of 5 burst,s before reloading although the damage per round is not that great). The bigger guns can do serious damage with at most 2 shotting any other oponent at tier 1.

My favourite is the Cromwell though, right beast, dart around the map, small size, good penetration on gun. I been using it to hunt down T50-2’s and flank the big tanks (killed T26E4 and IS6 which really upset those players).

Gave up with the Valentine as it was getting matched up as a tier IV scout so I ended up in games with tier VII and VIII all the time. A real problem as it has no speed and the 6pdr or 75mm really struggles to even penetrate the tanks while its own armour is like paper to anything it faces. If you get matched as the top tier or at least tier V or below it is good fun and you can do some real damage.

Brit guns seem to be low damage but high penetration in game with some tanks being heavily nerfed between the tests (Brit mediums Cent 7/1 and FV4202 were Soviet killers but the devs have reduced their effectiveness, they have not given the tier X FV215b its designed gun (183mm) or the one they said they would (133mm) so it has the same turret and gun (120mm) as the tier IX Conqueror while having thinner armour).

HESH rounds are in game but very situational as they will not do much damage on spaced armour or tracks (21 dmg on a Maus track plates), solid armour though is good (659 dmg on a Maus turret side, four shots and he was gone), the rounds have been made less effective between test 1 and 2 though so I do not know how they will fare now they are going live.