WW2 relics rediscovered

There were several threads about rediscovered WW2 vehicles/aircrafts/ordnance in the past. These may be summed up in this one from now on. As a start:

Soviet self-propelled gun SU-76 fished out of river Danube

After more than 60 years a Soviet self-propelled gun SU-76 was discovered at the bottom of river Danube near the town of Hainburg/Austria.
Because the vehicle couldn’t get pulled out from the banks a ship’s crane had to do the job.
Some fifty 76.2mm shells and several handgrenades were still in the vehicle and had to be disarmed by the explosive ordnance disposal unit of the Austrian Ministry of the Interior.
For now the SU-76 will be stored to the military museum (Heeresgeschichtliches Museum) at Vienna where it is supposed to get examined by experts. It isn’t clear yet what will happen to the SPG after the examination.

http://noe.orf.at/stories/370051/
June 2009

Do you want to team up and try to fish through old posts and put them all in here regarding the recovery/discovery of old ww2 vehicles?

Or if u are doing it yourself can u post more that is just awesome!

Basically I started a sorry attempt to justify my existence here.

Well i thought it was a good idea.

it’s pretty clear what will happen to the vechiles they will simply sell them for scrap i guess

D*mn shame.

I seriously doubt that any WW2 vehicle rediscovered is going to be scrapped these days…

From today’s Toronto Star Newspaper…

LONDON–A British auction house says a signed copy of Adolf Hitler’s infamous manifesto Mein Kampf has fetched 21,000 pounds ($34,900).
Mullock’s Auctioneers in Ludlow, in western England, says the semi-autobiographical book was sold to an anonymous telephone bidder Thursday.
The say the book is a prepublication copy given by Hitler to a fellow inmate in 1925 during his four-year prison term in Bavaria in southern Germany.
Mein Kampf outlines Hitler’s anti-Semitic ideology. It was written in 1924, and was banned from publication in Germany after World War II.
The town of Ludlow is 200 kilometres northwest of London.

thanks herman interesting that so many years after the end of WW2 Mein Kempf can be sold for so much .

Personally, I think it would be pretty cool to have this relic signed by ol Archie!. It never amazes me that even the devil himself can warrant interest in others, that they would pay to have a part of the devil. As much as I despise ol Archie, and others, I am sure as Historian lovers we all would love to have what was in the past: be it evil or good…strange how human nature is?..anyways maybe not all of you agree but I am sure many do?..I can’t wait to see the Inglorious bastards movie!!..I’m sure all WW2 lovers are going to se it!..I think Brad Pit is in it!

Yep i agree with you it’s part of our nature , we all hide good and evil inside ourselfs but never to forget we are the “managers” so it’s up to us to “unlock” the one or the other in certain moments :slight_smile:

This one’s a bit older but still most interesting. A T-34 with German markings discovered in a lake in Estonia…and it still works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7boxp1Sk2w

It depends on how many are still around. If there are only a few, then it may be quite valuable, and worth a complete restoration, if they are commonly found, then it may be salvaged for components by a collector, but this one is interesting due to its dug up situation. So unless its completely crumbling, it will make at least a nice static display someplace. I am amazed at some of the vehicles that are rebuilt/restored these days, even tanks that have been range targets are being reborn.
It would be great if they could steam out the ammo, and pretty them up to go back inside, would look nice in my front yard…:cool:

It depends how much money Austria have and what is their politic about such things , and i hope they won’t throw away all they discovered . As we all know to restore something from scrap need much money hope they will find them from somewhere .

I think they can afford a steam cleaning, and a coat of paint at least.If they do not want it, I’m sure there is a collector, or a museum that would buy it.

That’s very hard to believe. I don’t buy it.

It was well documented. The bog prevented oxidation and kept the tank pristine…

Well, I guess if a bog can preserve a body why not a tank.

those vehicles should be restored not broken up for scrap metal

Amazing story and true about the bog.

It would be a shame if the relics that are discovered were not restored…what a legacy for generations to see and respect.