A QUICK QUIZ - WW2

Helloooo Timmoooo… :?:

Name the staff officer principally responsible for the disastrous, Jock column, flying columns, and defended BOX, tactics that caused the 8th army to be beaten soundly twice - despite superiority in equipment, both times.

Stemmed from the perceived neccessity of using 25pders for A/T protection of infantry, from 1941 on, and German all-arms coordinated tactics, esp A/T arty and tanks.

Which Commonwealth Division’s refused to be split up in this way? (a possible max of 4) and which one of these division’s performance in the July/August 1942 battles including their proper artillery support stunned the Germans, as they hadn’t copped such for a long time.

This is the period known to some as ‘first alamein’ which rather dignifies it too much, IMO. Within a few days the German’s knew that ‘they’ were back.

Lord Haw-Haw had to come up with a new name for them, witty though this new one was - ‘Ali Baba and the Forty Thousand Thieves’.

Hint for 1. he was fired when Monty turned up, I don’t think he worked again, thank God. Monty got to ‘know him well’ at SC when this person was on the DS staff!!!

1. Think Tobruk, before the Poles and the Sth Africans, and the actual Battle of El Alamein in November and the heavy, culminatory, crumble fighting in the North - by an infantry division - against panzers and panzergrenadiers. Renewed after 10 Corps and Ramsden wet their pants.

Timbo

I dont quite understand that, Timbo. How many questions are you asking and why?

Okay,

1. Who was this idiot? (paraphrasing the Goon Show)

2. a) Which British C’wlth Division, definitely refused to adopt the above tactics and thus retained it’s real power - via arty support, and THUS gave the PAA, and its core the DAK, a big shock when it returned to action in July 1942?

2 b) What other Cw’lth Infantry Divisons, if any, also refused to be split up even as training. I have an idea but I’m not certain.

One British Division that did was I think the 51st Highland who arrived late enough under Wimberley, and the 46(?)th who were the 8th Armies remaining reserve?

And, why?

Well I am exploring the knowledge here on the 1942 campaigns in the Western Desert. aka the Benghazi handicap, the shit fights to ‘stabilise’ at Alamein and the final Battle of … .

'kay?

All of the above in 1500 words, you have two hours. You may turn over your papers and start writing.

LOL, I have no idea about this at all, I dont even understand the question, let alone be able to give an answer.

I think that Timbo must read the name of this topic.

“A QUICK QUIZ”

I think that Timbo must read the name of this topic.

“A QUICK QUIZ”[/quote]

haha. I wonder whos up to the challenge… i know Im not :slight_smile:

d’ja want me to give the answers?

1. Dorman-Smith, who believed, by late 1941, that Infantry just ‘couldn’t cope’.

2a. The Australian 9th Division, Haw Haws other name for whom wsas ‘The Rats of Tobruk’ who pretty effectively put the lie to that nonsense - IN 1941 - at Tobruk, and definitely from July 1942 on.

In “The Battle of El Alamein”, their only tank support was 23rd Brigade with Valentines, and they engaged and severely damaged all but one of the DAK PZ and PG divisions in the extended crumbling fighting in the North. IE after the mid-point of the battle when Monty finally realised the armour / 10 Corps just would not ‘get up into the fire fight’.

NB Something that all the C’wlth Div’ns Commanders had said would happen, during the planning stages. Freyberg, Morshead, et al.

The main reason they did cope was they remained a true division with integral artillery fire support, able to reach up to corps and Army for additional support.

Few formations in the 8th Army WERE able to do this, speedily or at all in July 1942.

My father remembers returning pilots reporting the sheer size and speed of the artillery concentrations the 9th Division began using, with just one Brigade up, early on in July 1942.

Viz. Not one armoured Divison’s Commander was in the habit of travelling tactically with his CRA - in Div. tac HQ. Monty had to order them to, repeatedly.

2b. re not going alond with D-S’s tactics? I believe one of the Sth African Divisions refused too, and the Indian infantry division.

Dorman-Smith went in to deserved obscurity in September '42, along with another idiot Corbett.

During the early part of the war , three british cruisers fought the Admiral Graf Spee commerce raider, dmaging it sufficiently for it to take refuge, in neutral Montevideo harbour, within the Plate estuary.

Name the cruiser which was not RN.

Thats better :smiley:

HMNZS (Her Majesty’s New Zealand Ship) Achilles.

<pedant mode> His Majesty’s New Zealand Ship Achilles</pedant mode>
Anyway, your question I presume?

Till SAM’s returning, please find 12 quick quiz :smiley:
http://www.skylighters.org/visquiz/

Well, maybe I try a new one.
In 101st Airborne usergroup Tsolias posted in our quiz section as follows:

Would you help us with the answer? :wink:

OK, its been a whole week, give us a clue?

:oops: Sorry mate! I forgot (like most of us :frowning: )about this topic.
Here is the answer:

I bet that Tiger wouldn’t be upset if I’ll propose that anyone could post a quiz (this time only).

OK here it is:

One of Japan’s methods of destroying tanks was to bury a very large artillery shell with on ly the nose exposed. When a tank came near enough a soldier would whack the shell with a hammer.

…True or false?

True. They used Allied unexploded bombs, in a similar way.

their approaches infused the Koreans, VC, and NVA.

instant counter attacks, digging - concealed bunkers etc etc.

human wave charges.

Jitter parties at night.

Which Soviet ace scored most of his victories in Bell fighters?

I can’t remember, mind.

The top ace in the P-39 and number four overall was Guards Major Gregoriy Rechkalov, who shot down 50 of his total 56 kills while flying a P-39.
Quoted from: http://www.acepilots.com/planes/p39_airacobra.html