Euro2012

So - having knocked out the Greeks, Germany will advance across the twitching bodies of Italy and Spain to claim premiership in Europe. Also, of course, there is the football … Just kidding, JR.

I believe many would share my view: Germany - Italy milion times more exciting that Spain - Portugal game. Especially, when Spain playing boring football below expectations despite the advance to quarter-final. I can’t pinpoint the winner tomorrow, but I got a feeling there will be no penalty shoot-out.

I for one do not share your view, in fact I don't understand how you can even say something like, 'a million times more exciting'. I'm a football fan first of all, and as such I must say that if Spain and Portugal play half as good as they have played so far there is no possible comparision in terms of a good show, if they do not, then bad football is bad football, no matter how's playing. What you call a boring football by the Spanish is non other then Barcelona FC ball-possession at work, and as far as I'm concerned it's like a ballet and I for one, love it. As for Portugal, at first I expected them to behave like Holland did, but I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised and proud by the professionalism displayed by my National team, who unlike other teams I might add, actually delivered good games and acomplished the objectives, step by step and with modesty. In my opinion, de games against Germany, Holland, and specially against Denmark had everything a football fan could wish for: good football, plenty of goal opportunities and uncertainty in the final result until the end, they won 2 and lost 1, but what more could one wish for? 

Although I believe Spain has a better team (many played together the whole season and routine of processes is a huge advantage), individualities will no doubt have a part to play. I’m going to have fun watching that game at the beach, feet on the warm sand, a cold beer in my hand, in the good company of my Portuguese, Spanish, British, Dutch, Italian, Croatian, etc collegues; a swim in the Ocean to cool of at half-time (depending on alcohol comsumption), lots of laughter and friendly banter 'cause that’s what any sports competition should be all about, FUN, may the best team win…

Sunny cheers

Neutral

My expectations aren’t high on either match, Spain vs Portugal might be more competitive given the two are neighbors but other then that I don’t see much else.

To be honest my critical point of view was addressed to the spanish, not the portugese team. I watched the games Spain played at this tournament and I’m really disappointed. Especially, with what they presented against France. I assure you, I wasn’t the only one falling asleep during that game.
Of course everybody may like different kinds of football. For me the way the spanish team plays is boring as there is way too many passes. You call it a ballet, I would say a boredom. The more styles of play there is, the more critics there would be. Italian used to be critisied for catenaccio, Greeks for anti-football, so I hope I won’t be cursed if I say I don’t like all that passing by Spanish.
Regarding the portugese team - they played well in the group stage, despite the tough opposition. Watching them was much more pleasant than watching spanish. And there’s no need to remind who was in the “group of death”. So far it seems, it could be Ronaldo’s tournament. I wonder if manages to withstand the pressure. Also the rest of the team is in the spotlight here. So I find Germany - Italy more interesting, not because of of portugese are playing in first semi-final, but because the spanish will try to put your team (and all the audience) to sleep first and then score some goal.

The World and European champions didn’t look much the part for the majority of that match, last 15 minutes they were the Spain every team fears but it was Portugal that impressed me, sorry to see them out on penalties.

Spain had 1 shot on goal in the first half, 1… Too bad Portugal missed their chances. It looked like Spanish woke up for the last 10-15 minutes.
And I don’t understand one thing. Why Ronaldo was kept for the last penalty, even when they already knew that if Portugal misses their 4th they’re out???
Bruno Alves shouldn’t take this penalty, if anybody was to lift the pressure, it was Ronaldo.

Ronaldo was listed to take the 5th penalty and the Irish pundits questioned if it was done more for him wanting the glory of the winning goal then the way the manager wanted.

I’m no football expert, just a casual wise-guy, but for God’s sake…
What’s the point leaving the best penalty taker for the last penalty if we’re not even sure he get’s a chance to shoot?
Isn’t it a bit too risky?

Anyway, Spain made it through so we can focus on the other semi-final. My guess is 3:2 for Germany.

Hopefully Germany can beat Italy tonight with in the 90 minutes or the added 30 and not having to go to penalties.
Anyone else notice that while Philipp Lahm was giving his speech the banner reading “Respect Diversity” only showed “Respect Divers”.

Bleeeh…business as usual, Germany can not defeat Italy in a major tournament although we were facing the maybe weakest Italian team for decades.
Two most amateurish early personal blunders in the defence and the match is decided. WTF, I’ll have another beer now…alla salute!

Germany really needs to work on their defense, the Italians had less possession in the second half but everytime they broke with the ball they were in or at the German box in seconds with little opposition. Germany got very lucky numerous times, miss kicks and slipping by the two Italian forwards.

This problem has been well-known before the tournament here, actually we were wondering that our defense performed quite o.k. - until tonight.

During the group stages they really only did enough in each match, all by one goal, it will be interesting to see if any changes are made for the World Cup qualifiers.

On another note, Ireland, may have only done well in pleasing the Irish and Poles but with their group stage opponents now in the final now it doesn’t make them look as bad.

I guess Kovalski was right, Germany-Italy was a much better match then Spain-Portugal, although not being in stress does make one appreciate the game more. :slight_smile:

Congratulations to Italy, they played a very good game last night.

P.S. I don’t like the guy very much either, but Ronaldo has always been a great professional, even in his Sporting Lisbon formation days, he does what he is told, as for this coach, I know him well since his player days, his coaching of Sporting juvis and his time as Sporting headcoach and believe me, no one tells him what to do, if there is one thing wrong with this guy is his stubborness. We lost in the penalties loto, that’s all there is to it, Ronaldo played a very good Euro and as much as it pains me to say this, I don’t think he deserves to be trashed.

Cheers

Last night’s result -

Italy 2 - 0 Germany

(Monti, Merkel OG)

And then there was the football … Just kidding, JR.

Few pics taken in the last two days.

A comment for BBC’s Panorama “Stadiums of hate” and a false prophet, Sol “The coffin” Campbell.

What about this one…not as attractive as these female fans but a most significant image , boo hoo!

Er … impressive 'photo of the current Great One, Mario Bailout-elli. Pity poor Man. City fans. Like me for example … JR.

The REAL Super Mario …

mario_monti.jpg