Falklands/Malvinas war pictorial. Post yours ¡¡¡.

Two questions here.

A) Is the HMS Sir Tristam the ship in the foreground ?

B) Why the hell this people is smiling/laughing?

Brits can, and will, laugh at anything. This is largely why we don’t generally hold long-term grudges.

It is also considered polite to smile when your photograph is being taken!

Dont know if victory and smiling would be the first thing on my mind after having the crap bombed out of me. Plus if this is the HMS Sir Tristram then you have 50 dead coworkers. At least according to this article http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/june/8/newsid_2500000/2500607.stm

In situations like that, you can laugh or you can break down and cry. Whatever it takes to stop yourself going mad.

That looks like VICTORY…and a good reason to smile

Hu ?, the ship is not argentine if you mean that.

In situations like that, you can laugh or you can break down and cry. Whatever it takes to stop yourself going mad

That sounds like a more possible explanation.

The ship in the back is RFA Sir Tristam.

The lads smiling are just enjoying a moment of mirth on board the ship, probably a funny (possibly quite sick, by most of the posters opinions) quip or joke.

Yes, there is a ship in background, where 50 lads have died, but in a war where the casualties came in daily, you either laugh or take yourself somewhere quiet and put a bullet in your head.

British humour is not understood by many, and British forces humour is understood by fewer and is generally very dark.

The men in the picture know, that you can’t dwell on the deaths of even close comrades in situations like this. Their ghosts will come knocking soon enough.

A place strictly for the images of the war, air, sea, land, homefront and everything related.

Please post your picture and dont feel guilty about it. :wink:

I’d like to post a picture of all the men who survived the war and who were honoured by their nations.

But it’s not possible as Britain carefully hid the distastefully wounded in all public ceremonies.

Just the same as all countries promise their men a land fit for heroes while the guns are firing, and forget them; their families; and their sacrifices the moment the guns stop firing.

Well, since nobody want to start i ll give a try:

Mayo square 14.00 Am 2th april 1982.

A) Yes.

B) Unfortunatly there is only one way to understand. YOU yourself have to go through some of worst moments in your life, when your freinds may not come out the other side, and you just let your self go.

As I said above, the ghosts and memories will come back, but for now, it is just pure joy and relief.

Or in this case, they are just blinkering themselves to the horrors of what has happened.

Why did the “Falklands/Malvinas Pictorial. Post yours iii” thread get inserted at posts 9, 10, and 11 into this thread and this thread, which used to be “Britsh Humour” get retitled “Falklands/Malvinas Pictorial. Post yours iii”?

It’s confusing.

I merged the two topics.

Or in this case, they are just blinkering themselves to the horrors of what has happened.

A strange way, thanks for your answer.

Another view of the Tristam.

( edited to rezise image)

Back to the UK.

Is there any other way? Probably better to blinker yourself than sit and think “tomorrow we may die in firery hell in side a maze of metal corridors that will fill with with smoke and darkness… who wants a cup of tea?”

British prisoners.

Argentine prisoner ( Marine I think) captured 21th may, handcuffed and blindfolded, nasty.

more pics soon.

Nasty?

Because he’s bound and blindfolded?

This is what a real war crime involving a blindfolded POW looks like. Except that moments later this Australian POW, like countless other Australian, American, British and Dutch military and civilian prisoners of the Japanese, was dead, unlike the Argentinian POW who is being shepherded rather than driven to the slaughter.

For what it’s worth, the British soldier on the left in the picture in the previous post is not holding his weapon to shoot or threaten, but merely to guard, the prisoner.

Unlike the Japanese with the sword about to kill an Australian prisoner with no more ability to protect or defend himself than the Argentinian prisoner who is being treated rather better by his British captors.

This is what a real war crime involving a blindfolded POW looks like. Except that moments later this Australian POW, like countless other Australian, American, British and Dutch military and civilian prisoners of the Japanese, was dead, unlike the Argentinian POW who is being shepherded rather than driven to the slaughter.

I dont say a crime, I just said nasty.

Galtieri in the islands.

snowy times.

What was nasty was Argentina embarking upon the path that would lead to war, ie invasion of the Falkland Islands.

If the Argentine Marine POW is like that, there is a reason for it. He not likely to just be a POW that they didn’t like the look of, or a lowly conscript. I am guessing he is likely to know the sort of info that the Brits wanted at that time. It is highly likely to be undergoing TQ or Tactical Questioning, which is not a War Crime although it is likely to be a little nasty.

Information gathered this way, may help British soldiers live, and Argentine soldiers too.

Incidently Panzerknacker the pics here…

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Falklands/NP8901.html

Which all show the faces of the Royal Marine POWs and the pictures of them lying face down on the ground, as APCs rumble past, also border on war crimes. POWs should be protected from humiliation.

In the old days this would include things like draging them through a city on a cart for civvies to throw fruit at. Nowadays a commander (of any rank) should consider photos, the internet and television.

Now let’s have a quick look at some evidence of other Argentine atrocities which are equal to or greater than the piccy of a blindfolded and bound POW.

Bussers was visibly upset when the former Governor refused to shake his hand. Negotiations proceeded at a very civil level, apart from the interruptions by the anti-British Major Dowling, who later mistreated Cpl. York’s section. After talking to Busser, Hunt consulted Norman and Noott and agreed to surrender. At 9.30 am, 149 years of British Colonial rule came to an end, the Falkland Islands were now in Argentinean hands. The Argentine flag was raised over Government House to cheers from the Argentine troops. Hunt was allowed to change into his official ceremonial regalia and was driven to the airport in his official car. (a London taxi) At the airport he was placed aboard an Argentine C130 Hercules and flown to Montevideo and from there he was flown back to London.

No such niceties for the members of NP 8901. The Royal Marines were stripped of their weapons and webbing and forced to lie face down on the ground in front of Government House with their hands behind their heads. They were not physically mistreated by the Argentines, but the humiliation they all felt was terrible. The Argentine press took many photos of the Royal Marines lying face down on the ground with Argentine marines guarding them. The Argentines did not realize it at the time but by taking these photos of the defeated Royal Marines they had just added smoke to the fire that was now burning in the heart of the British public back in Britain. When these photos were later published in newspapers in Britain there was an outcry of support for the British Government to take back the Falkland Islands.

The Royal Marines of NP 8901 and the members of the Island’s Defence Force were moved to the playing fields where more pictures were taken. On the picture on the right at least one member of the Defence Force can been seen as well as several Royal Navy personnel. Also, at least three of the sitting men are making rude gestures towards the photographer. The Royal Marines were later marched to the airport and placed on a C130 Hercules heading for Montevideo. As one of the Royal Marines was being marched onto the aircraft he turned to his Argentine guard and said " Don’t make yourself too comfy mate, we’ll be back ". He wasn’t wrong. After returning to the UK and giving much valuable intelligence to the Task Force commanders, Major Norman and his men returned to their Moody Brook barracks 76 days later as part of 42 Cdo RM.

Cpl York and his section of five Marines who were isolated on the western side of the narrows saw from their position that the Argentines were laying an ambush for them. As they had a Gemini hidden on the opposite side of the headland, they decided it was time to make a tactical withdrawal. Loading their kit into the the Gemini, and in order to avoid detection paddled their way to make good their escape. Suddenly round the headland came an Argentine Destroyer at full speed. It quickly spotted them, and in the words of Marine ‘Butch’ Urand ‘I think we did 100 mile per hour!’. And to its everlasting credit the Johnson outboard motor sprang into life, and they made good their escape, first hiding behind a Polish Fishing vessel and then running their Gemini into the shallows out of reach of the Argentines. They lived in caves on diddle-do-berries for three days before their final capture. When taken, the Argentines were a little confused as to what rank three badge Marine Urand was (three Badges being long service stripes) because is chums had nicknamed him ‘The General’. Being older than the rest, The Argentineans decided that discretion was the better part of valour and introduced him to ‘The General’ to the local naval commander, an Argentine Admiral.

Marine Jeffery Urand and the rest of NP8901 were flown to Argentinia, Marine Urand and his little party were kept separately from the remainder and intensively interrogated. Although no physical violence was used, the technique was aggressive and at times threatening. Their heads were shaved and they were kept in solitary confinement, before eventually being sent home. Now back again with the task force, Now suddenly he heard the unforgettable voice of his interrogator again. A officious Argentine captain was addressing a company of forlorn conscripts before dispersal on to the airfield. Marine Urand strolled up behind and tapped the Argentine captain on the shoulder:’ ‘Allo My Darlin’, Fancy us meeting like this again,’ The military police officer paled, Gulped and quickly disappeared into the ever changing throng of POWs

So it would appear that the British weren’t the only ones that were committing “war crimes” on POWs.

Keep 'em coming Panzerknacker.

Maybe you can explain the Napalm, made up and ready for use, at Goose Green? Or was that the British’s fault?

Or the Mines indescriminatly laid on the islands? Or was that the British fault as well?

I really wouldn’t get in to a p1ssing competition on this one mate, because I WILL research everything and bring it to bear.