Favorite American Gun

Perhaps he has been getting his gen from the call of duty manual like our late ferrous friend?

no i didnt:p
i didnt mean at long distances ofcourse:p
and yes i shot with a few weapons. fn p90, fnc,a shotgun( mosberg), an m249 and a famas.

seek on the web for that pinging sound youl find it.
:smiley:

As far as I know the definition for a carbine is: light military rifle with shortened barrel and comparative small caliber which fits the “Mauser Karabiner K 98k”, the littke “k” stands here for kurz (=short).
The Gewehr 98/40 was a reproduction of the hungarian rifle Modell 35, built in Hungary (by Metallwaren-, Waffen- und Maschinenfabrik A.G. Danuvia) for the german army due to the shortage of infantry weapons in the Wehrmacht.

Uh huh. And this is relevant how? A substantial number of us (myself, Nick, MoS, Cuts, RS*, Firefly, etc.) are current or former military in one form or another. A firefight (and I’ve only been in a one-way one - if rounds are coming downrange at you it’ll be ten times worse) is one of the loudest and most confusing places on earth. The first one I was in in training I never even knew where the enemy were - and that was despite them firing on me with automatic weapons at the time. When I did the section in defence range in September (8 x assault rifles + 1 GPMG + lots of pyro) it was impossible to communicate to people 10m from me without a radio due to the noise levels - the people in the next hole along were hard enough. And you still reckon that a minor metallic “ting” is going to be a noticeable tactical disadvantage???

If it’s on the internet, it must be true, right?

ok good point there about the internet. i did see it in a book and its wel know about that sound. im not going to keep talking about the stupid pinging sound.:stuck_out_tongue:
anyway both great rifles but i prefer the svt 40 over the garand and kar.

Don’t get bogged down in terminology – the German in particular is very inconsistent and confusing.

Essentially, shoulder fired infantry weapons in Rifle calibres in the period in question break down into three broad groups:

(Long) rifle: Ross, Long Lee’s, Gew 98,Kar98b, Lebel,Mosin Nagant 1891/30, the standard Arisaka rifles etc. These were initially intended to be used exclusively by the infantry.

Carbine:Gew 38/40, Lee Enfield no.5,Mosin Nagant M38 and M44, those crappy Italian Mannlicher carbines, and so on. These were initially intended for artillery and cavalry, but saw much wider application in the Second World War.

Short rifles: SMLE, Lee Enfield no.4, Springfield M1903, kar98a, kar98k, MAS36 etc. These were originally intended to bridge the gap between the rifle and Carbine, and so issue the same weapon to all branches of the service. They are intermediate in length between the long rifle and the Carbine.

If your definition were correct, all “Short rifles” would fall under the definition of “Carbine”, which they clearly are not.

Yeah well, the “loud ping” wasn’t really much of a consideration. What you’re talking about would individual or personal combat in which a US soldier was cut off and cornered. This kind of thing was pretty rare and US military training emphasized mutual support as did everyone else’s.

Still, I have heard this on a documentary where some idiot claimed that some wily US veterans would throw down a chunk of metal to simulate the clank in hopes that a German soldier would pop up, thinking he was empty, and present a target. But as pdf stated, this sort of thing would have been exceedingly rare in the chaos of actual combat.

If anyone is listening for anything, it’s where the shooting is coming from…

you know not all sniper rifles “cant shoot fast”

And the ones that do tend to lack precision accuracy and are mostly used as intermediate range accurized weapons…Something between an infantryman’s small caliber assault rifle and a sniper rifle…

But semi-autos are rarely used as precision stalking weapons. The US Marines and Army now use the M-21 (accurized, rebuilt M-14) and the M-110 (an updated AR-10) as intermediate sniper systems to counter the Soviet designed Dragunov…

A true sniper very rarely needs to shoot fast, or more accurately to fire quickly between shots.

One to three, or no, shots a day could be the best a true sniper might do.

A sniper has to be in a position exposed to the enemy. He relies upon being in a position which the enemy cannot identify, despite being in the enemy’s field of view. Firing rapid shots increases his risk of discovery.

Apart from the risk of discovery being increased by the extra movement involved in reloading, a sniper could do his job in many cases with a single shot weapon.

A sharpshooter is a different issue.

't was logisch. Dit soort van gelul kan alleen maar van een nederlander komen. En, dames en heren, daar is hij weer: de grote-broer-komplex. Proficiat!

Well, it’s not my definition in the first place. But if you insist on your opinion to be right, well, then the history of one of the best-known firearms of the world must be re-written.

This should be an interesting discussion.

This one?

Indeed…

Is that the only Russian sniper weapon?

Of course not.
There are a few other specialized types of sniper rifles that is used by Special forces, Specnaz and ets.
The SVD ( Sniper rifle of Dragunov) was a basic soviet sniper rifle in army since 1963.
The my favorite is the big 12,7 mm SVN-98 the newest russian rifle

This is uber-rifle…literally.It’s steel shell can penetrate the armor the Bradly or BMP through.
it remind me the famouse 14,5-mm PTRS

BTW has the US army also an 12,7 mm sniper rifle?

But of course:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M82_Barrett_rifle

A 12,7mm round to take out one single so-called “soft target”. The effect must be terrible!

my favorite us gun would be the Bazooka. Though I like the XT-7 and the Panzerschrck btter.

It is rather unpleasant. People hit by a .50 round in the chest tend to be blown into upper and lower halves…

Hungarian sniper rifle called “Gepárd” 14,5 x 114 mm