Favorite American Gun

Jij, mijn oosterbuurse vriend, bent een grote omanaaier.
I’d also like to point out to any other newcomers that while MoS speaks, reads & writes Dutch rather well he’s actually British, born and bred.
He’s also quite correct in his reply to your post.

Your father wasn’t a USMC Korean vet was he…?

Nou, geef hem een lekker kusje dan. Verder ben ik niet jouw vriend en wil 't nooit worden. Jouw oma was prima trouwens.
As a newcomer I’d like to point out that flamethrowerguy speaks, reads & writes english and dutch rather he is actually a very inconsistent and confusing german (quote), born and bred.

What is this supposed to mean?

And the major differences between the G98 and K98 are ?

I’m guessing here so please forgive me if I’m in error, but I think MoS mistyped his designation and wrote “G38/40” instead of “G33/40.”
As far as I can remember after a good Sunday lunch, the only Mauser action carbine, (as opposed to a slightly shorter rifle,) used by the German forces in any number was the G33/40, (a modded vz. 16/33.)

Some time back we had a rather unpleasant troll on the forum, going by the name of “IRONMAN” (linky). Among his claims was that his father was in the USMC and fought at Chosin reservoir, although amusingly all his “father”'s quotes also appear in the Call of Duty manual.

Got that. At least I know in which category I have to put Mr. Kuts.

Easy, Tiger! The only thing consistent about the German terminology is its inconsistency. Taking just the German Mausers:

Long rifle – Gew.98, Kar98b
short rifle – Kar98a, Kar98k
Carbine – Gew.33/40

I don’t have a fundamental problem with them calling anything shorter than the Gew.98 a Karabiner, but look at the above and tell me with a straight face that it is consistent!

the nightmare…
i’ did read a book where the one man’s head blowed up after the 12,7 mm bullet hited his face.

how come IRONMAN has a medal?

Comparing a Semi-auto to a non-auto weapon is not fair :frowning:
Which is better? M1? G43 ?G41? SVT40? (not sure if its called svt 40 or if G41 is semi)

Okay, a brief summary:

There are 2 G41’s:G41(W), and G41(M). the Mauser G41 was ridiculously over complicated so didn’t work well, and the Walther G41 became the G43 when fitted with a proper gas system. Both of the G41 rifles had the same muzzle trap with annular piston gas system that was completely bonk and was used because the German high command had a prejudice against drilling lateral holes for gas. both of these rifles were never on general issue because, frankly, they were crap, one fundamentally and the other just due to the gas system.

G43: works quite well, but is somewhat fragile in the action which leads to parts breakage. a little complex.

SVT 40: the best designed but the worst made of the three main semiautomatic battle rifles in question. It is let down by its manufacture and its fiddly gas regulator. If it had been made well it would have been really excellent – everything is there in principle , and if it had been made by any of the other major powers it would have been very good.

Garand: the worst designed but the best made of the three. Fundamentally, it is little more than a mechanised turn bolt rifle, rationalised and slimmed down. It is the most accurate and most reliable of the three, and capable of the highest sustained rate of fire – this is little short of amazing given how many weaknesses there are in the design that can lead to slight damage stopping it from working. it also has the most primitive and indeed worst gas system of the big three. But, because American production engineering was the best in the world, it worked and worked very well, and is certainly the best of the three.

My favourite all time U.S.gun is the old Large Frame Colt M1917,which used Half or full moon Clips to shoot the rimless 0.45 ACP round.A lot of these guns were in circulation (pre-Dunblane) when I shot pistol and they were lovely ,solid and quite accurate.I liked the old Springfield 30-06 rifle as well,guess I`m an old fashioned F@rt!!

Kenny

Colt1917.jpg

My dad had a Colt M1917 for years (1960’s - 1970’s) for personal and home defense. It was a beautiful revolver.

I seem to remember an alternate round that could be used without half-moon clips called the .45 Auto Rim. It had similar dimensions to the .45 ACP but with a rim at the base which enabled the empty cases to be ejected from the cylinder.

.45 ACP on left, .45 Auto Rim on right, note difference in rim thickness.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/swwheelgun/index.asp

The three cartridges in the half-moon clip are .45 ACP and lower three cartridges are .45 AR (Auto Rim).

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=193439

Yes ,George, I remember that the the 0.45 Auto Rim was quite expensive ,compared to surplus “hardball” 0.45 ACP,but far,far easier to use.Some of the half moon clips I used had a grip like a giant squid on those 0.45 ACP cases!!!:slight_smile:

Take care

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

I bought a full-moon clip once to try it out on my Smith & Wesson model 25 (1955) .45 ACP and after ejecting, the empty cases were extremely tight - much harder to remove from the clip than they were to remove from the half-moon clips (for reuse). I prefer the half-moon clips, but like you said, they can sometimes put quite a grip on the cases :slight_smile:

thanks man of stoat, very informative post!

AMT Hardballer Longslide cal.45 ACP
piece of cake :slight_smile:
looks like familiar?

Not in WWII…

Nickdfresh: ok sorry!

Theres no doubt that the M1 Garand gave the U.S. rifle squad the ability to pour a lot of lead into the direction of the enemy.But it had 2 major drawbacks ;firstly you couldnt single load rounds,secondly being a Gas-recoil operated weapon you had to keep it reasonably clean (not pristine, just a reasonable level of care).The British Enfield 0.303, in my opinion is a far better battle rifle ,smooth fast bolt action,10 rd magazine and able to fire accurately and dependably under the most appalling conditions (Flanders mud in WW1 ,comes to mind).

Kenny

Of course you can single load the Garand! Why you would want to on a two-way range is another matter though. You do it like this:

Drop single round into chamber
Place edge of hand against charging handle
depress follower while pushing back slightly against charging handle
rotate hand sharply upwards out of the way.

If you are talking about “topping off” with single rounds, then sure. But why would you want to? I can’t in fact think of a single military semiauto that can be easily topped off without removing the magazine anyway.

Interestingly, I had a chat with some 1950s era Canadian soldiers who said that their top shooters were faster on the range over 15 rounds in aimed fire with a number four rifle than with the Garand, but from 16 rounds and up the Garand was much faster.