Favorite Waffen SS division

Nice uniforms though, apparently. I’m getting worried about this site, we’re starting to attract SS fantasists/groupies.

…and not designed by Hugo Boss as people like to make out.

SS-Oberführer Prof. Dr. Karl Diebitsch and graphic designer Walter Heck designed them. The Hugo Boss factory made them along with other factories.

This thread is fast becoming ‘de-bunking the myths of the SS’

However, my uniform was made by Ben Sherman and my beret by Kangol. Aren’t I the fashionable one :smiley:

Plenty of myths to debunk… Too many historians rely purely on German propaganda pieces to write books on them.

Amazes me how they can even believe that it may be completely factual…

Mr. Williamson being a case in point. His ‘account’ of Wittmans attack at Villers-Bocage is the German propaganda version. Utterly at odds with Wittmans own account and reality.

Yes… All SS were good men, fighting unknowingly for an evil regime, they fought valiantly and sent pressies home at Xmas.

A Kangol beret and Sherman uniform? See I knew you was a Rupert…

I have no idea who Gordon Williamson is, or was, but he got that more or less correct if he was comparing the SS with the Samurai code which supposedly imbued the Japanese soldier.

Neither the SS nor the Japanese soldiery were the legitimate inheritors of the medieval knight cultures which they arrogated to their modern appalling actions which had no precedent in the histories which they relied upon for their pomp, circumstance, and systematised brutality and inhumanity on an unimaginable scale.

One thing the regieme was good at was propaganda, they were 9th dan black belt ninja’s when it came to spinning a line. They make Alastair Campbell look like the boy who cried wolf.

And as for my kit, if I was a rupert my kit would be Grieves & Hawkes…

LMAO! Touche!

I wouldnt say the Japanese had a Samurai code in WW2. They simply bastardised some elements and twisted them to their own purposes to help them carve out an Empire and control their populace.

But Im guessing thats the point you are making!

FFS!

Put the rest of us out of our uncomprehending misery.

WTF is a rupert, and all the related stuff student-scaley and TFRB are going on about?

Quite, I don’t think the chap who wrote the five rings quite had the massacre of nanking in mind when he wrote the code of bushido.

Personally, I like all of the decimated, and destroyed SS divisions best. Really, its like asking which plague carrying vermin is one’s favorite.

Often applies to Cavalry officers, more than the PBI…

Rupert - Army slang for an Officer, but particularly an Officer that is upper-middle class or above, and has a total lack of skill

I think you are letting your enthusiasm run away with your reason.

Just who were the “countless British and American politicians” who praised Hitler? I don’t know about the Brits, but I can’t think of a single well known American politician who made a habit of praising Hitler before the war. There may have been some low level, local politicians, particularly in areas with large ethnic German populations, who lavished praise on Hitler and the Nazis in a bid to win votes in local elections, but no politician of state or national prominence was foolish enough to praise the Fascists, especially after about 1935. The Nazis were generally held in very low regard in the United States and only a small, but vocal, minority of Americans defended their actions. Most Americans, even prior to the war, loathed what they stood for, and anything to do with them, including the Waffen SS.

The thread on the bastardized code of Bushido.

Nah. This sort of thing runs in cycles. Periodically, we get the fanboi of the constructed techno-Wehrmacht/SS mythologies of the SS trooper who wore the cool, loose fitting camo that appeared ahead of its time. Carrying a Sturmgewehr in one hand, he has a Panzerfaust in the other, and rides in on a King Tiger–he practically has an FW Ta-183 perched on his shoulder—to help him fight the impossible battle against the vast, helpless throngs of Allied soldiers…

Welcome to Student-scaley’s guide to Britmil slang!

Rupert - officer in pukka (posh) regiment, think cavalry or guards.
Grieves & Hawkes - a decent military tailor, they’re considered to be one of the better ones out there.

Anything else you don’t understand?

Quote: "Anything else you don’t understand? "

Yes, what are “bubbles”, and why do they squeak?

I don’t think Churchill can be regarded as a “low level, local politician”, don’t you think?

"If I had been an Italian I am sure that I should have been whole-heartedly with you from start to finish in
your triumphant struggle against the bestial appetites and passions of Leninism. But in England we have
not had to fight this danger in the same deadly form. We have our way of doing things. But that we shall
succeed in grappling with Communism and choking the life out of it—of that I am absolutely sure.
"I will, however, say a word on an international aspect of Fa-scismo. Externally, your movement has

rendered a service to the whole world.

Winston Churchill, The Times, January 21 1927

While all these formidable transformations were occurring in Europe, Corporal Hitler was fighting his long,
wearing battle for the German heart.
The story of that struggle cannot be read without admiration for the courage, the perseverance and the vital

force which enabled him to challenge, defy, conciliate, or overcome all the authorities or resistances which

barred his path. He, and the ever increasing legions who . worked with him, certainly showed at this time, in

their patriotic ardour and love of country, that there was nothing they would not do or dare, no sacrifice of life,

limb and liberty that they would not make themselves or inflict upon their opponents. The main episodes of the

story are well known. The riotous meetings, the fusillade at Munich, Hitler’s imprisonment, his various arrests

and trials, his conflict with Hindenburg, his electoral campaign, Von Papen’s tergiversation, Hitler’s conquest of

Hindenburg, Hindenburg’s desertion of Briining— all these were the milestones upon that indomitable march

which carried the Austrian-born corporal to the life dictatorship of the entire German nation of nearly seventy

million souls, constituting the most industrious, tractable, fierce and martial race in the world.

Winston Churchill on Hitler,

The British Bulldog

EMRYS HUGHES, pag 144

Well, as a politician, I don’t think you can achieve a much lower level than Churchill did in the late 1920’s. Moreover,Churchill was a Brit, and I specifically excluded them from my comments by saying I didn’t know about the Brits.

I know your first quotation is from one of the admiring letters Churchill wrote to Mussolini in the 1920’s, long before Hitler was considered much more than a buffoon on the international stage. Reportedly, Churchill later regretted the laudatory phrases he addressed to MUSSOLINI in those private letters, and tried to keep them from becoming public knowledge.

If you want to impress me, address the topic on which I was remarking, which was prominent AMERICAN politicians who lavished praise on HITLER in the four or so years prior to the outbreak of World War II. I don’t think there was a one, let alone “countless ones”.

Ha! I was thinking this:

Um, what exactly does this prove? Churchill swoons for Mussolini in the 20’s, then supposedly writes (without benefit of quotation) a very mixed, nuanced view of Hitler that can be somewhat viewed a commentary with a bit of irony and adversarial respect.

We’re talking the SS here…