Georgia in Crisis: Major Fighting Erupts with Russia

Could the Russians be growing bigger balls and trying to tell the world that their back! and maybe their upset about how the Cold war ended. even so that not one round was fire at america and russia they still lost the battle and the war. But was the cold war more of a weapons race.

Apperantly, they’re pulling out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/2/hi/europe/7555858.stm

So basicaly, to put it short, you have no idea what and why is going on there but you already formed your opinion that Russia has done something bad.
Or I just misunderstood you?

Nobody is perfect… :slight_smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_armour
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t459NbF5Vek

Well active armour is not a panacea.

The speculations I’ve heard is that Russia doesn’t want to dare attacking the pipeline and the resulting chaos of a Georgian occupation (the Russian markets dropped at the start of the offensive). But they may be trying to send a signal that a new natural gas pipeline ought not to be built through Georgia…

Why shouldn’t a military have training? And the Russians/Soviets trained a good deal of the Georgian forces, and the Georgians still use mostly Russian sourced equipment. In fact, I thought they made the venerable SU-25 attack aircraft?

Plus wanting to put the missile shield in Poland?

Perhaps. But then isn’t Russia helping Iran as they conduct nuclear research?

Kennedy didn’t react too well to a somewhat similar, but rather different and more threatening act given the type of missile, when the Soviets put missiles into Cuba.

No nation likes being ringed by its potential enemy.

True. But the Georgian forces present little actual threat to Russia proper as their offensive showed. And some think the Russian gov’t is mostly bitter because Georgia is one of the last areas that a pipeline can routed around, effectively avoiding Russia…

But it’s still better than lazy, sedentary armour. :wink:

The thing thats really scary is that this conflict is quite similar to something the soviets would do i mean it wouldnt suprise me to see the hammer and sickle again in the near future although highly unlikely its still a possiblity

Nick why do yu confuse my friend RS?
The most of new wearpon they use have been supplied after 2000.
Even their “old” Su-25 have been seriously modernized with Israeli electronics.
Other "russian " equipment like an Ukrainian AA system S-200, Chech T-72, American helicopters ( 90% all of helicopters of Georgia) and ets.

Perhaps. But then isn’t Russia helping Iran as they conduct nuclear research?

Russia build a industrial reactor , not conducting a researchs.

True. But the Georgian forces present little actual threat to Russia proper as their offensive showed. And some think the Russian gov’t is mostly bitter because Georgia is one of the last areas that a pipeline can routed around, effectively avoiding Russia…

You just repeat the Georgian propogandic shit.
Nobody even speak about pipeline. And nobody planned to attack it.
See at facts…
If someone just wished - the pipeline have been alredy damaged since the first day of conflict.

No reason at all, it’s just that the source is provocative, in the same way that America would regard it as provocative if Russia was training Canadian or Mexican forces.

Even if it is, it’s rather different to the US training Georgia or Russia training Mexico situations as Iran isn’t on America’s border or in striking range of America.

Oddly enough, a future by-product of a worsening of the current situation could be Russia providing technology to Iran to give it the range to try to strike America, as a new form of proxy wars between Russia and America.

It’s all to do with perceived threat and counter-threat, complicated by threats to extra-territorial interests.

True. Which makes you wonder what particular madness possessed Georgia to start it up in the first place?

Not something I know anything about, but given the huge profits Russia has made from gas and oil to Western Europe it might well want to corner that market for itself, or at least exclude a new source of supply.

Since Afghanistan was mentioned few post previously I wish to share this piece of information.
The following is the English translation from the interview of Mr.Brzezinski to the French Le Nouvel Observateur (“Oui, la CIA est entrйe en Afghanistan avant les Russes…”, N° 1732 - 15/1/1998, Vincent Jauvert). (“Yes, CIA went to Afghanistan before Russians…”)
The original article in French here: http://hebdo.nouvelobs.com/hebdo/parution/p1732/articles/a19460-.html

source: http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/BRZ110A.html
The CIA’s Intervention in Afghanistan
Interview with Zbigniew Brzezinski,
President Jimmy Carter’s National Security Adviser

Question: The former director of the CIA, Robert Gates, stated in his memoirs [“From the Shadows”], that American intelligence services began to aid the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan 6 months before the Soviet intervention. In this period you were the national security adviser to President Carter. You therefore played a role in this affair. Is that correct?

Brzezinski: Yes. According to the official version of history, CIA aid to the Mujahadeen began during 1980, that is to say, after the Soviet army invaded Afghanistan, 24 Dec 1979. But the reality, secretly guarded until now, is completely otherwise Indeed, it was July 3, 1979 that President Carter signed the first directive for secret aid to the opponents of the pro-Soviet regime in Kabul. And that very day, I wrote a note to the president in which I explained to him that in my opinion this aid was going to induce a Soviet military intervention.

Q: Despite this risk, you were an advocate of this covert action. But perhaps you yourself desired this Soviet entry into war and looked to provoke it?

B: It isn’t quite that. We didn’t push the Russians to intervene, but we knowingly increased the probability that they would.

Q: When the Soviets justified their intervention by asserting that they intended to fight against a secret involvement of the United States in Afghanistan, people didn’t believe them. However, there was a basis of truth. You don’t regret anything today?

B: Regret what? That secret operation was an excellent idea. It had the effect of drawing the Russians into the Afghan trap and you want me to regret it? The day that the Soviets officially crossed the border, I wrote to President Carter. We now have the opportunity of giving to the USSR its Vietnam war. Indeed, for almost 10 years, Moscow had to carry on a war unsupportable by the government, a conflict that brought about the demoralization and finally the breakup of the Soviet empire.

Q: And neither do you regret having supported the Islamic fundamentalism, having given arms and advice to future terrorists?

B: What is most important to the history of the world? The Taliban or the collapse of the Soviet empire? Some stirred-up Moslems or the liberation of Central Europe and the end of the cold war?

Q: Some stirred-up Moslems? But it has been said and repeated Islamic fundamentalism represents a world menace today.

B: Nonsense! It is said that the West had a global policy in regard to Islam. That is stupid. There isn’t a global Islam. Look at Islam in a rational manner and without demagoguery or emotion. It is the leading religion of the world with 1.5 billion followers. But what is there in common among Saudi Arabian fundamentalism, moderate Morocco, Pakistan militarism, Egyptian pro-Western or Central Asian secularism? Nothing more than what unites the Christian countries.

The only difference between Iraq #2 war and Georgian war is that the later one actually has a realistic looking excuse to it.

touche my friend

I suppose the true reasons behind the conflict will eventually find its way to the general population. But in the mean time I would not jump into beleiving the jibberish coming from the USA and its allies cosidering their track record of providing honest and accurate information regarding some of the other recent and not so recent world events.

Russian troops are heading towards Tbilisi!

Several different sources in Gori (AP reporters, ETYJ members, AFP staff) report that they have watched Russian convoys with battle tanks heading towards Tbilisi!

One Russian soldier even shouted “Come with us, beauty, we’re going to Tbilisi!” to a photographer. For sources, read reports from different news-agencies.

_

alephh,

You seem to be informed about the course of the conflict.
Do you know the latest info about this picture from Gori and the rest in the same set?

16 APVs plus evacuated abandoned Geogian vehicles is not enough to attack Tbilisi. Besides they took a turn to Osetia.

Looks very improbable.
Besides why Euronews keep silence about the russian tanks march on Gori?

I heard they dont evacuate the cuptured Georgian vehicles- but simply destroy or blow up it .

Oh shit, the Russian columns are near the Gori:)
The Euronews reported it.
Alephh was almost right.
What are they doing here?i have no any idea.