GOOD BOOKS

For WW2 Romania:

Edited in English and Romanian

Available at www.modelism.ro

nobody else!?

…right so I am thinking of the following, please feel free to post what you think.

-Aircraft of WWII by Stewart Wilson
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1875671358/qid=1122464502/sr=8-6/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i6_xgl14/002-4939052-1343213?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

-Griffon-Powered Spitfires by Kev Darling

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1580070450/qid=1122464652/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-4939052-1343213?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I got that book. It was alright. Good for an overview and the basics.[/quote]

SAM, I hardly recommend you:
http://www.saairforce.co.za/reviews/review85saaf.htm
Check it out mate!

Quoted:
85 Years of the SAAF
By Winston Brent
To be released July/August 2005!

This book records the individual aircraft histories of the thousands of aircraft that have worn the SAAF roundal or insignia over the past 85 years.
This book is for the casual or serious researcher of the SAAF as the stories of action by the pilots and aircrews have been recorded on other publications. Previous publications have recorded the names of those pilots and aircrew who have made the ultimate sacrifice in the service of South Africa. This book goes a step further and the aircraft type, squadron and serial is identified by cross-reference to the individual aircraft, the incident or action can be identified.
There are three Rolls of Honour covering the three eras of the SAAF: 1921 - 1939, WWII 1949 - 1947, and post war 1947 - 2005. The Rolls are in chronological order and include the aircraft type, serial and squadron.

Looks good! I think I wait till the price drops :wink:

Well, heres a partial list of good ww2 books that i’ve read/am reading last year:

The battle of kursk, glantz

Colossus reborn the red army 1941-1943 (Its a giant book, with everything you need to know about how the red army, actually too giant, haven’t finished it yet)

When titans clashed (good book summing up the ostfront)

Siege of Leningrad,glantz (prob, the best book about leningrad)

Overlord, hastings( objective view on fighting in the normandy from both sides, as well as strengths/weaknesses of allied/axis forces)

armageddon, hastings (objective view on fighting in the west from both sides, futher accessment of strengths/weaknesses of allied/axis forces)

the forgotten soldier(panzergrenadier corporal’s memoir)

in deadly combat (recon major memoir)

panzer commander( colonel hans von luck, commander of 21st panzer armored regiment)

armored battles of the waffen-ss (1943-45) ( a bit biased, but exciting book with descriptive fighting in all waffen-ss fronts/campaigns)

Grenadiers (again, a bit biased, a lot of action, written by Kurt meyer)

the 12th ss 1,2 (not done reading yet, but very good books about the creation, training, and deployment of the 12ss in the west)

The SS:Hitler’s Instrument of Terror(sums up the normal and bad of the SS organizaiton)

Who has read any of these books? Opinions?

I have got panzer commander but havent read it yet and have read part of
Colossus reborn the red army 1941-1943.

I am currently reading “Soviet Military power” and “D-day”

I read battles in Africa ,Tobruk is very good ,Australian defend Town ,with only one division ,against germans and italians,very goos stuff.

Sorry for such a late reply, a pretty good book on the battle of britan: Duel of Eagles, written by Peter Townsend

Australians went crazy in WW1 and WW2 when i watched this black and white video clip!!!

Like in WW1 when the aussies on horses just with bush knives and rifles charged towards the turkish machine guns screaming at the top of their lungs, they hadn’t had water for weeks.

WW2, the aussies in african desert ran towards a German Camp with huge mechates and austrailan machine guns and scared the germans away.

:lol:

:lol: :lol: anyway, I’ve read Panzer Commander, getting Panzer General (Heinz Guderian) and currently reading Rommel as Military Commander.

:lol: :lol: anyway, I’ve read Panzer Commander, getting Panzer General (Heinz Guderian) and currently reading Rommel as Military Commander.[/quote]

I think my father might be reading that same book you are. :smiley:

Is that ‘Infantry Attacks!’ by Rommel?

I read it as part of the recommended books list when I was learning the delicate art of Platoon Command (better known as MTQ2 which sounds, and is, far less impressive ;)). I can imagine it being rather dry as it is concerned very much with the nuts and bolts of infantry warfare. Certainly, without the background of having been taught the formal estimate and orders I would have struggled to finish it.

I only had one proper complaint about the translation (which is an American one from the 1930s, if my memory serves me correctly) and that is the use of the phrase ‘hit the dirt’. It jars horribly with the tone of the book and to my mind sounds like Cleetus (Simpsons, slack-jawed yokel) interrupting the flow of the text.

i’ve never read infantry attacks? are any of the concepts outdated?

band of brothers is a great book. i forget the author, and its an easy read but it tells a great story. it even had an 8 or 9 part series directed by steven spielberg about it, show on HBO. the series is very good, and movie quality.

Band of Brothers has several Series right?, I read the first two series of the books a long time ago and I found it very dull and boring so i didn’t bother reading the rest of the series.

as far as i no there is only one book, about easy company, by stephen ambrose. i might be wrong…but the ending of band of brothers doesnt really leave any plot left for a 2nd book to be written, because at the end of the book the war ends.

Yes and no. I can imagine the use of artillery fire to cut the wires of field telephones is rather less useful than it was in 1914-18. However, it is still recommended reading for Student Officers and I presume is on the reading list for Sandhurst.

a common trick practised by the germans on both the west/eastern fronts was to cut telephone wires, then prepare an amush position.

when the repair party showed up, the germans would make them surrender, and take them as prisoners!