Quiz

Sorry :oops:

The very first Allied shot of the war in the Far East was actually fired over the bows of the Australian coaster Woniora (Captain F. N. Smale) from a 6-inch gun emplacement at Point Nepean, guarding the entrance to Melbourne’s Port Phillip Bay. The 823 ton coaster had entered the bay at 9.15 pm on September 3, 1939 after a trip from Tasmania. Ordered to heave-to for inspection, the coaster gave her identity but continued on without stopping. A 100 lb shell, fired across her bow, soon changed her captain’s mind.

Correct Tsolias! And ironically enough, I believe it was that very gun that fired the first shot of WWI too!

Trully a remarkable coincidence, this was the actual, same gun that had fired the first shot of World War I when, hours after war was declared, it fired on the German Norddeutscher Llyod 6,500 ton steamer Pfalz while it attempted to leave Australian waters on August 5, 1914. The Pfalz was then returned to Williamstown where the crew was detained. The captured vessel served out the rest of World War I as the Australian troopship HMT Boorara.

New question:
What was the most destructive single bombing raid of WWII?

Either the Atom Bomb over Hiroshima or Nagasaki, or the Bombing of Dresden. I’ll go with Dresden :?

Your first choice was closer to the actuall.
Try again!

The Doolittle Raid? :lol:

Hmm No.-He didn’t got enough planes.
The most destructive single bombing raid of the war took place March 9-10, 1945. 334 B-29s raided Tokyo killing around 100,000 people and leaving 1.25 million homeless.

:oops: :oops:

Please post another question :slight_smile:

What were the code words that ordered the attack on Pearl Harbor to go ahead?

Easy. Tora, Tora, Tora. I think it means Tiger, Tiger, Tiger :?

Easy. Tora, Tora, Tora. I think it means Tiger, Tiger, Tiger :?[/quote]

Sorry-no.
I need the code words.

“Niitaka Yama Nabore” (Climb Mount Niitaka) on 2nd of December?

Very good Dani!
Your turn.

Torgau has been incorrectly reported as the first meeting place of American and Soviet forces.
Which was the first then?

Leckwitz at April 25, 1945.

Very well Tsolias! Your turn!

In an effort to thwart allied bombing, the Germans built huge realistic reproductions of Berlin, Hamburg and others, close to the real cities but far enough away to avoid damage.
True or false?

True. I believe by the end of WWII Berlin had 5 copies of itself around Germany.

Fast and accurate-bravo!

BTW cool new avatar you got there-is it Hydriech?

[quote=“Tsolias”]

Fast and accurate-bravo!

BTW cool new avatar you got there-is it Hydriech?[/quote]

Thanks! Yes the avatar is Heydrich. I made you a quick one if you want it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/ex3no/ww2incolor%20Avatar/ReinhardHeydrich3.gif

You don’t have to use it if you don’t want to :slight_smile:

Anyway question!! Ok: What was the OKW and which General headed it the entire war? Very simple question!