Warsaw Uprising

Hi mate,

I assume it was the 7th Hussars. The “Maid of Warsaw” badge it the emblem used today by the Queen’s Royal Hussars.

Here is the history of the regiment:
http://www.qohmuseum.org.uk/7th.htm

Maybe you should contact the museum. They got to have some archives.

Pozdrawiam,
Kovalski

Hi Kovalski,
Thanks for the info had a look at site, very good.
All the best.
Maroon Dragoon

63rd Anniversary of Warsaw Uprising is on Wednesday…

I know it should be in another thread, but I think that’s easier to find.
Here are the links to:
Warsaw Uprising Museum
http://www.1944.pl/index.php?lang=en&lang_time=1

Timeline of Warsaw Uprising
http://www.warsawvoice.pl/view/6330/

Warsaw Uprising History Webpage
http://www.warsawuprising.com/

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1874382/posts

Warsaw Rising 1944 - the Battle for Poland

Commemorations of the Warsaw Rising this year will be on a national, and not just local, scale.

Danuszia Szafraniec reports

The Institute of National Remembrance has appealed for a nationwide observance of the anniversary of the Warsaw Rising in the same manner as has been practiced for decades in the Polish capital. Starting tomorrow, commemorative concerts, night vigils and masses will be held around the country with open-air film shows and meetings with the insurgents scheduled - all events under the slogan “Warsaw 1944 - the Battle for Poland”.

The great heroic fight of Warsaw and her people is the most important anniversary of the Polish capital. The Warsaw Rising of 1944 lasted 63 days. It resulted in the killing of 200,000 Varsovians both insurgents and civilians. Every year the people of Warsaw pay homage to the courageous strife of the city’s inhabitants to shed away the Nazi occupant.

Three years ago the Warsaw Rising Museum was opened in Poland’s capital which immediately became a hit with visitors. Its collections are composed of under 20,000 exhibits including rings, identity cards, armbands used by Warsaw Rising soldiers, weapons, uniforms and German hardware.

This year the Museum wants the commemorations to be held under a slogan “Warsaw 1944 - the Battle for Poland” and on a national scale. Starting tomorrow, commemorative concerts, night vigils and masses will be held around the country while open-air film shows and meetings with the insurgents are to be held in the capital. Janusz O³dakowski, the director of the Warsaw Rising Museum explains.

“This year we would like to show people that it was a battle for Poland and not only for Warsaw. It was called “Warsaw Rising” only for identification purposes to let people know that, in fact, the whole country was involved in the fighting with every citizen trying to help as much as they could. You can see that in the recollections of soldiers who back then served, for example in Africa or in the Polish Air Forces fighting on several fronts during the war”.

One of those fighting soldiers was major Janusz Brochwicz-Lewinski, alias “Gryf”. This 86-year-old Warsaw Rising survivor and soldier of the National Army who speaks 4 foreign languages spent over 5 decades working and living in the UK. He came back to Poland in 2002 for the opening of the Warsaw Rising Museum.

“I left Poland on October 5, 1944, went to prisoners’ camp which was liberated by American Army in 1945. Then I went to the United Kingdom and stayed there for 58 years. My return to Poland was impossible because I represented the National Polish Army which was “persona non grata” in Poland during the communist regime. My first visit was in 2002 for the celebrations of the Warsaw Rising and then eventually I started preparing myself to return to Poland after so many years”.

Preparing “Warsaw 1944 - the Battle for Poland” national campaign the Warsaw Rising Museum organised a competition for a comic book on the subject with the aim of spreading awareness of the event among young people. Third prize was given to a book called “Target for tonight” sent from Great Britain by Piotr Chudzik, second to a project called “The end of summer holidays” by Michal Lebioda and Rafal Bakowicz. The winner called “The last concert” is an 8-page story of a house in the Warsaw district of Zoliborz where concerts were held during the fighting. One of its autors is Tymek Jezierski.

“This place doesn’t even have a commemorative plague on the wall so hardly anybody knows what happened there. We thought it was worth telling that such a thing took place there in Zoliborz where my friends live these days and many people pass this building every day without realising that 30 people died in it the massacre of the Warsaw Rising”.

More info on the winningcomic books as well as this year’s commemorations of the 63rd anniversary of the Warsaw Rising can be found at www.1944.pl.

an update:
Events marking the 63rd anniversary of the outbreak of Warsaw Rising on August 1, 1944 have began in Poland. A group of former insurgents have received high Polish military and state distinctions.

President Lech Kaczyñski said during the ceremony that a free Poland has always been the highest value for Poles. For 63 days of street fighting, Warsaw was a piece of free Poland placed between the two totalitarian systems - of Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia, he said, adding that the tradition of the Warsaw Rising should be preserved for future generations.

Numerous commemorative events are planned in Warsaw and many Polish cities for this week. They will culminate on Wednesday, August 1.

Well who is doubt - poor Poland between evil Germany and Russia:)
The root of all the problem are the neighbour states, that’s nice.
Especially i like the equalization of the Nazy and Commi. :wink:
So why the commi did not build the death-camps in Poland?

The Pzkpfw V Panther “magda” used by the Polish Armia Krajowa. :slight_smile:

The apetite of the AK of armor vehicles caused that the germans abadoned several panzer IIIs filled with explosives and bobbytraped in areas controlled by the National army.

Chevan, it is because Russians are lazy, drunk and uncapeable of building fences.

At my school when we get in 8th grade we get to go to Washington D.C. We get to go to the World War II Memorial. We can’t take pictures in it:(. We also get to go to the Holocausts Memorial Museum. I think this trip will be a great one. Here is the site for the Holocausts Memorial Museum. http://www.ushmm.org/ . For all the other foreigners the site is in ENGLISH except there is some Yiddish. Great site. My school uses this site for work for us in the 7th grade.

Hmmmm, you are in wrong topic GS. :rolleyes:

R…R…R… :wink:

R…R…R…

So many buttons in your keyboard and you are using only one to expresate your toughs, quite weird. :rolleyes:

What big letter was flashing in the corner of your tv during football match in the 80’s? :slight_smile:

That tank was used on 5th of August 1944 in attack on KL Warschau - “Gesiowka”, a German-Nazi Concetration Camp in Warsaw. Together with “Zoska” Battalion the tank crew liberated 348 Jewish prisoners. Some of them joined the “Zoska” Battalion later.

Pozdrawiam,
Kovalski

That tank was used on 5th of August 1944 in attack on KL Warschau - “Gesiowka”, a German-Nazi Concetration Camp in Warsaw. Together with “Zoska” Battalion the tank crew liberated 348 Jewish prisoners. Some of them joined the “Zoska” Battalion later

Thanks for the information, I think that also a tank hunter Hetzer was captured and Used.

During Warsaw Uprising AK created the tank platoon “Wacek”. They used 2 Panthers and 1 Pz IV for sure. I also read that one Hetzer was used as the element of the barricade.

My dear beloved lovers of truth! :slight_smile:

There is a new book available in both Polish and Russian: “Warsaw uprising 1944 in the documents of the security services archives”, 1450 pages.
ISBN: 9788360464328

Link to a Polish online book store with book description in Polish.

About this book in Russian: “Расчет на свои силы не оправдался. ФСБ рассекретило документы о Варшавском восстании

Many thanks Igor.
It sould be the very interesting book - i just do not know is it avialable in Internet now?

Cheers

1428 pages…
Hope to read it this year.

Polish version is available via internet :slight_smile:

As I understand the book contains the documents in BOTH Polish and Russian languages.
I bought today from this site http://wysylkowa.pl/ks800640.html :slight_smile:
But you are right 1428 pages! I will get grey hair!